Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Persona 5 is the most understandable Japanese media of all time to me because Makoto the student council president who has the best grades in school is correctly considered a loser outcast by the other kids instead of extremely popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

But getting perfect scores on the exam helps Joker become more popular with the Shujin students...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

But getting perfect scores on the exam helps Joker become more popular with the Shujin students...
I bet he lets them cheat off him, and getting good grades makes you more popular because it means they got the right answers too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Popularity leads to intimacy

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Joker becomes popular because the kid who sits behind him told everyone that Joker has a cat that he talks to throughout the exams and then somehow gets top score. Everyone just wants to meet that cat.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

That reminds me, it always bothered me how in P3 answering correctly in class raised your charm but they changed it to raising your knowledge in subsequent games.

That makes no sense! You aren't acquiring new knowledge, you're showcasing knowledge you already had!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Petiso posted:

That reminds me, it always bothered me how in P3 answering correctly in class raised your charm but they changed it to raising your knowledge in subsequent games.

That makes no sense! You aren't acquiring new knowledge, you're showcasing knowledge you already had!

If you answer incorrectly then you didn't have the knowledge, if you answer correctly then you did. Therefore Joker's true Knowledge stat exists in a quantum superposition until he answers a question and collapses the waveform.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Petiso posted:

positive reinforcement

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Neeksy posted:

Well, if you're going to bring up stupid examples of that, yeah.

Nakama is honestly not that hard to translate. Something like senpai is harder because we just don't really do upperclassman/lowerclassman stuff, and honorifics have both linguistic and cultural function. Of course not -all- honorifics aren't translatable, but there are a few that just can't make the jump. "san" is pretty easy to just change to Mr. or Ms.

The nakama example is particularly funny though because by leaving it untranslated a whole generation of one piece fans thought it meant something more than just friends or crew, until Oda explicitly was like "what? No guys it doesn't mean anything special what the heck"

I think the san suffix is easy enough yeah, and we can just obviously sub in bruh for some of the other ones :hmmyes:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

July 30:
https://s1.webmshare.com/1ymAa.webm

Merciless is a real meatgrinder lol... I am using so many consumables that I am worried I will hard lock by running out of revives and SP restoring items

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Neeksy posted:

Something like senpai is harder because we just don't really do upperclassman/lowerclassman stuff, and honorifics have both linguistic and cultural function. Of course not -all- honorifics aren't translatable, but there are a few that just can't make the jump. "san" is pretty easy to just change to Mr. or Ms.

you can translate it this way but the terms aren't equivilent in their usage. an obvious example is the honorific "Master" as applied to a child - in English this typically appears solely in formally written letters, and in fiction written with a "historic" elevated type of language (e.g. a butler saying it to a child) - it might be functionally similar to the -kun suffix (in the context of addressing a child) but translating it this way has obvious issues when it comes to tone, unless you want your game to sound like it's Alfred addressing a young Bruce Wayne or something.

there are reams of debates and papers with "post-colonial" in the title on what kinds of translations constitute the commonly-used phrase "bringing the reader to the text" and what just constitutes exoticization, but i think it's generally considered laudable to at least try to get aspects of the source text and language across in a translation - in this case, that Japanese uses a lot of honorifics in contexts that English really doesn't. i can't speak to the specific rationale that the translators made, but given that Persona (and Yakuza) are life-simulator games where immersion in everyday city life is a big part of the appeal, it'd be a reasonable choice to consider cultural immersion as an emphasis in the translation (on the other side, if an instruction screen for a platformer called the main character "Gex-kun" or some poo poo, we probably wouldn't care about that).

it's a lot more complicated than "is there an equivilent term", is what i'm saying lol. also sorry for the derail.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

you can translate it this way but the terms aren't equivilent in their usage. an obvious example is the honorific "Master" as applied to a child - in English this typically appears solely in formally written letters, and in fiction written with a "historic" elevated type of language (e.g. a butler saying it to a child) - it might be functionally similar to the -kun suffix (in the context of addressing a child) but translating it this way has obvious issues when it comes to tone, unless you want your game to sound like it's Alfred addressing a young Bruce Wayne or something.

there are reams of debates and papers with "post-colonial" in the title on what kinds of translations constitute the commonly-used phrase "bringing the reader to the text" and what just constitutes exoticization, but i think it's generally considered laudable to at least try to get aspects of the source text and language across in a translation - in this case, that Japanese uses a lot of honorifics in contexts that English really doesn't. i can't speak to the specific rationale that the translators made, but given that Persona (and Yakuza) are life-simulator games where immersion in everyday city life is a big part of the appeal, it'd be a reasonable choice to consider cultural immersion as an emphasis in the translation (on the other side, if an instruction screen for a platformer called the main character "Gex-kun" or some poo poo, we probably wouldn't care about that).

it's a lot more complicated than "is there an equivilent term", is what i'm saying lol. also sorry for the derail.

I don't disagree with any of what you're saying here, I think that falls under what what I was proposing generally, I just happened to use "san" here as one of the easiest ones to find situations that are similar to English.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
apropos of nothing a lot of people might find it interesting that a relatively well-cited paper on translation studies from 1999 approvingly spoke of anime fansubbing conventions near the end of it

https://academic.csuohio.edu/kneuendorf/frames/subtitling/Nornes.1999.pdf

(the term "abusive" here refers to an influential translation studies paper called "Abusive Translation" and refers to formal experimentation rather than anything pejorative)

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Felt semi-relevant to the topic at hand.

https://twitter.com/JeremyTiang/status/1553993081241862146

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

hmmm... i played p2isp with like 99% og soundtrack but im wondering if i should play epp with the remixed tracks..... i know u can switch em up in game but, they both seem cool

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

what the..... i was chillin and reading some p2 stuff and apparently IS is Maybe, Vaguely supposed to take place from oct/nov 98 to aug 99???

thats, dumb imo the pacing doesn't support it taking place over that long its like 2 months in summer 99 ending in aug, tops

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

August 4 update:

I have used over 2000 consumable items at this point I think lol

I need to pick up some "Sapporo" beer for the next leg

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I decided to load up Persona 4 again and its very funny that literally every party member is gay as heck.

Edit: Couldn't stop thinking about this dumb thing

Nanako posted:

EVERY EVENING MY DAD DOESN'T COME HOME AND I OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS THE JUNES COMMERCIAL AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START SINGING THE JINGLE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, JUNES. I SING EVERY WORD AND I SING EVERY WORD HARD. MAKIN LITTLE ARM WAVES WHEN I HIT ALL THE NOTES OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ADVERTISED INABA'S MOST DANGEROUS MALL. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE WORDS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY HOUSE LESS LONELY BY SINGING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY EVENIng

Pwnstar fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 6, 2022

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

I decided to load up Persona 4 again and its very funny that literally every party member is gay as heck.

Rise is the IT squad's token straight and I appreciated the dumb Nanako thing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

I wholeheartedly support Chie/Yukiko because it seemed very obvious to me and also because it means I feel less guilty when I inevitably have to break Yukiko's heart in some runs. (She's my favorite IT lady but I wanna try new things)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yukiko will die alone and unloved in her failing in

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Significant progress has been made:

Also I beat the third boss I guess

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Haru, what

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

It's just a piece of paper with this url on it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Phantom Thieves will not arrive in Okinawa until August 17, so in the meantime:

This was built from The official Leblanc curry recipe, the gimmick being a teaspoon of instant coffee (you can't really taste it, but it is a nice flourish that kinda deepens things overall). I had some beef and also chicken wings I wanted to use up, so those went in. Carrot and potatoes are mentioned specifically in the cutscene. The store didn't have regular eggplant, let alone Kamo-Nasu (though I read they are grown in my state), so I substituted daikon.

The curry in the games always looks like it has been long-simmered, so I went about two hours. The chicken fell off the bone (make sure to fish those out lol), the potato basically completely melts away giving it a creamy smooth texture, and the carrot and beef remain as pillowy little morsels. I am not at Joker's "move diners to tears" level but it's good

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy poo poo that curry looks amazing as hell.

Is the left side just curry, or is there rice under it too? It seems like pure, thick, curry, which really makes it look delicious.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That's all curry, ya

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i'm replaying P5R and forgot how annoying the okumura bossfight is with needing to have a party that hits all the various robot vulnerabilities and having to restart a wave if you don't get all of them

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC the usual recommended strategy for that fight is to turn the difficulty up to Merciless or whatever because weak point and Baton Pass damage is amped up on that difficulty which actually makes the chaff robots easier to one-shot.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i remember that tip now - was this an issue with the base game?
surprised they didn't adjust the fight since it's so annoying and they did a fair bit of rejiggering of the fights otherwise

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

No it was not. That is specifically an issue with the Royal version of the boss fight.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have used over 2000 consumable items at this point I think lol

You're buying quite a bit!

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

shrike82 posted:

i'm replaying P5R and forgot how annoying the okumura bossfight is with needing to have a party that hits all the various robot vulnerabilities and having to restart a wave if you don't get all of them

People will say turn it up to Merciless but I beat it on Normal just fine by using consumable element items with the party members that don't have the weakness element and a max Baton Pass, Power Charge Tarukaja'd MC with an aoe physical move :shrug:

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
You have so many nights in Royal where the best way to spend your time is to make molotov cocktails or whatever, party composition should absolutely not be a factor in that fight.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Sure. But if you didn't know about the mechanic beforehand it's loving annoying thinking about all the ways you could have spent your time prepping for it in ways the game never pushed as significant until that fight.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

shrike82 posted:

i remember that tip now - was this an issue with the base game?
surprised they didn't adjust the fight since it's so annoying and they did a fair bit of rejiggering of the fights otherwise

No. They basically rewrote the entire Okumura Palace (it used to be the most tedious in the game with a pretty weak final boss). The new version is incredibly thematic in what you should do and it only took me two attempts because I lost to the self destruct the first time - but then I'd been gleefully baton passing my way through the entire palace. It's Haru and Morgana's palace so of course you need those two in your party for the final boss. And the robots are, well, robots - and every single one of them that isn't weak to either Haru's Psi or Morgana's Wind is weak to either nuke or electric. Hand out the relevant elemental attack anciliaries, set to Merciless, and it's easy with big damage buffs and sweeps.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

August 20 update:

I have tonkotsu concentrate on hand and while I normally mix it with miso or soy sauce, to get the color balance Yusuke mentions I let it stand mostly on its own as a concentrated salt bomb. I could not get red ginger so I soaked some sushi ginger in plum vinegar to push it in that direction. Some other substitutions with the other ingredients too lol but it's in the ballpark without me driving out to the Asian grocer.

I should get a specialized ramen bowl like the one you get as a souvenir in this cutscene lol, it would allow me to plate things better so the noodles and broth are on better display

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Strikers is right up there with Pikmin 3 as one of the hungriest games I’ve ever played, all of the food sounds so good, and your recreation looks tasty as hell

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

August 20 update:

I have tonkotsu concentrate on hand and while I normally mix it with miso or soy sauce, to get the color balance Yusuke mentions I let it stand mostly on its own as a concentrated salt bomb. I could not get red ginger so I soaked some sushi ginger in plum vinegar to push it in that direction. Some other substitutions with the other ingredients too lol but it's in the ballpark without me driving out to the Asian grocer.

I should get a specialized ramen bowl like the one you get as a souvenir in this cutscene lol, it would allow me to plate things better so the noodles and broth are on better display

Out of curiosity, which brand of concentrate and would you recommend?

Also, looks great as always!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Out of curiosity, which brand of concentrate and would you recommend?

Also, looks great as always!

Thanks!

I got recommended this brand of concentrate on Amazon, which i think may have originally been recommended on ramen reddit: https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Noodles-Tonkotsu-Concentration-1-Pounds/dp/B00K69ZK46

Edit: Also even though we have left Okinawa the store finally got the beer from there in stock again. "Orion, Okinawa's Craft - The Draft"

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 21, 2022