Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jokes posted:

4) The Steam Deck exists, and can emulate Switch, so I no longer have a reason to play video games on the Switch. Everything the Switch did, the Deck does better. Except for the Linux poo poo that nobody likes, which you can thankfully (mostly) avoid.

gently caress I wish I'd known that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nintendo has had that button arrangement since the SNES, it's not their fault Sony and Microsoft screwed it up

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sony screwed it up with their insistence on sticking with the dumb analog stick setup.

MS clearly has the best overall layout.
Nintendo is like a mix of the dumb of Sony holding onto the past and MS doing it right.
And Sony is just bad all around.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've come so close to buying one of the xbox-style PS4 controllers because trying to use the DS4 feels so strange when trying to use shoulder buttons and analog sticks.

I will say that the back button attachment Sony put out a few years ago HAS slightly made it easier since I can map the shoulders to that.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Joycons feel kinda lovely but its very comfortable to be able to cross your arms

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I play every game with my arms crossed (I use a dance mat).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

itry posted:

I play every game with my arms crossed (I use a dance mat).

No stick drift on a dance pad

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Post unpopular opinions about 1987 games on this page

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rad Racer, more like "Bad Racer"

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I don't have opinions about 1987 games because there's just no reason to play 'em

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ohtori Akio posted:

I don't have opinions about 1987 games because there's just no reason to play 'em

:eyepop:

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
scariest game of the year: jaws

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Harrow posted:

This is a trap because you'll just say "no it's bad"

Thread title

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

sebmojo posted:

final fantasy 1 on the nes is actually a good game, warts and all

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Mike Tyson's Punch Out is the best game on the NES, and the only one I consistently go back to play just for fun.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

sebmojo posted:

California Games for the Atari 2600 wasn't bad. I never actually payed through it as intended, but the BMX game was worth playing on its own and the skateboarding was fun to have a go at occasionally.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest is an underrated masterpiece.
I wish the series had more games like it, instead of metroidvanias.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Double Dragon is the best beat em up series

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

adhuin posted:

:confused: Castlevania II has progression like Metroid though or what am I missing? I guess it doesn't have an RPG equipment and levelling system but the core gameplay loop isn't too far off from Sotn & the GBA/DS games imo.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

sebmojo posted:

I don't think I've played that many games in my life

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

sebmojo posted:

Sid Meier’s Pirates from 1987 is far better than the 2004 version - it has tactical land battles and no dancing minigame

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

sebmojo posted:

Barbarian the ultimate warrior on the atari st is basically a perfect game.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Nintendo should have called it Zelda 2: Link yes Bōken.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

adhuin posted:

Simons quest is a metroidvania buddy

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Final Fantasy

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Shoulda called it First Fantasy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fun fact: the story that Final Fantasy got its name because it was Square's last-ditch effort to avoid going under, their "final fantasy," is a little bit of a myth. It's true that Square was in a lot of trouble, and also that Hironobu Sakaguchi planned for the first Final Fantasy to be his last game before he left the industry, but that's not where the name comes from.

The name was because Sakaguchi wanted the game to have the abbreviation "FF" because he liked the sound of it. The team settled on "Fantasy" as the second word, but originally it was going to be called "Fighting Fantasy." That was changed because there's a series of roleplaying game books called that, and "Final Fantasy" was the second choice after that.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Tecmo Bowl is dumb as gently caress, what a stupid poo poo game.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
If your game ever expects me to click my scrollwheel or push in an analogue stick I loving hate you.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Skulker posted:

If your game ever expects me to click my scrollwheel or push in an analogue stick I loving hate you.

Clicking scrollwheel is the best reload binding though

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Beartaco posted:

Mike Tyson's Punch Out is the best game on the NES, and the only one I consistently go back to play just for fun.

It pretty much invented the modern boss fight. Each opponent has different phases depending on how much health they have left and they have tells for which attack they're about to do or when they're vulnerable.

It wasn't that popular in Japan but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a big inspiration for a lot of developers. I'm not going to defend every character being a stereotype though.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Skulker posted:

I loving hate game where you click the L stick to sprint.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

fridge corn posted:

Final Fantasy

Now we’re talkin

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

That loving Sned posted:

It pretty much invented the modern boss fight. Each opponent has different phases depending on how much health they have left and they have tells for which attack they're about to do or when they're vulnerable.

nah that's par for the course, every nes game had boss fights with that. Usually it involved pallete swaps or flashing red lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKR5l3275IE

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

That loving Sned posted:

It wasn't that popular in Japan but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a big inspiration for a lot of developers. I'm not going to defend every character being a stereotype though.

The whole series kinda rolls into that and at least Japanese stereotypes aren't excepted. It's certainly got the vibe of boss fights should be dripping with personality and memorable.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Ohtori Akio posted:

wtf mods? YOU'RE RIGHT HERE SEB YOU EVEN RESPONDED TO IT

Pyromancer posted:

Sid Meier’s Pirates from 1987 is far better than the 2004 version - it has tactical land battles and no dancing minigame

This is true. Pirates! Gold for the Sega Genesis is probably the easiest way to play these days. Good soundtrack too, especially during land battles.

Skulker posted:

Agreed but expanded to using analogue sticks at all. Fuckin hate them.

neato burrito posted:

Tecmo Bowl is dumb as gently caress, what a stupid poo poo game.

:frogout:

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Double Dragon is the best beat em up series

Jimmy is an incel

adhuin posted:

It's a great game but man they made stupid as gently caress decisions like locking progression behind kneeling at an unremarkable dead end for an unreasonable length of time while having a specific item

Beartaco posted:

:hmmyes:

Fur20 posted:

final fantasy 1 on the nes is actually a good game, warts and all

:hmmyes:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
LOOM 2 is going to be free to play

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Would someone step up to the goddamn plate and release We ♥️ Katamari on modern systems? It is better than Katamari Damacy in every way yet all we get is Reroll which would have been fine if they had used the refined controls of the sequel. But they loving didn't.

poo poo and rear end! poo poo and rear end and balls I say!

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Zelda 2 is a much better game than Zelda 1. Zelda 1's impact and legacy on the industry is unmatched but if you go back and play both NES titles today I think you'll find much more enjoyment out of 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The megaman games are really the only nes games that feel immediately playable and responsive by todays standards