Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I can't keep up with new poo poo coming out so this hot take is weeks old, but god drat Prey was loving great. Probably the second best movie I watched this year, behind Top Gun.

Also, Reservation Dogs continues to be one of the best shows on tv now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

It takes like 45 minutes for Dave Franco to appear as a character, in a buddy cop movie. So many of these movies are missing the last round of edits to get them to time for theaters.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Enos Cabell posted:

and here I was getting ready to ask why nobody had commented on S2 after I finally got around to starting it. Quality is consistently great, and I'm not aware of another show that strikes quite the same tone. It's casual, sad, funny, and feels authentic at the same time. The spirit dude will seemingly always be amusing to me, as will the continual use of "shitass".

Glottis fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 15, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

yeah loving the new season so far. has been much lighter than season one but maybe they'll do something megatragic again in a few episodes. I kinda hope not tho

I watched honor society on paramount, it was really cute. it says tv ma but its obviously made for teens so idk what's up with that rating

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
HBO Max Layoffs have begun.

- 15% of all staff that work for the content departments at HBO Max and HBO (with the total overwhelmingly tilted towards HBO Max) have been laid off.

- The unscripted and live-action family programming divisions at HBO Max were mostly eliminated (possibly to merge with Discovery+ and that does not that there will be 0 people working in those departments on the new streaming service). The "reality" content division at HBO Max was shut down entirely.

- Casting, acquisitions and international divisions received less significant layoffs.

- WB/D thought HBO Max's creative division already had too much stuff that could be done by HBO and with Discovery+ staff now in the mix, they saw no reason to keep those divisions.

quote:

When executives at AT&T, HBO’s former parent company, decided to bring a new streaming service to market, they hired a dedicated programming team for HBO Max, including scripted and unscripted divisions to help accelerate the number of TV shows that could be produced for the new streaming service. The new programming team was originally separate from HBO’s pre-existing programming team.

Now, that plan has been readjusted. Executives believed that the nonfiction division at HBO Max already had significant overlap with HBO, which has had a dedicated and celebrated documentary division for decades, as well as Discovery, which owns HGTV, the Food Network and TLC, networks all known for reality programming.

The new company is $50 billion in debt and part of the reason so many changes have been happening so fast is that they want to pull the band-aid off quickly to readjust to their new strategy and find a way to meet their goal of $3 billion in cost savings before the end of 2022.

quote:

Warner Bros. Discovery, which began as HBO’s parent company in April when AT&T spun off WarnerMedia and merged it with Discovery Inc., has a crushing debt load of more than $50 billion. Executives at the new company have vowed to find $3 billion worth of savings, and significant layoffs are expected at the company in the coming weeks, particularly in areas where WarnerMedia and Discovery have overlap.

They are eliminating the original content division at HBO Max and folding it into HBO proper.

quote:

Sarah Aubrey, the head of original content at HBO Max, will now oversee the drama division for HBO Max, as well as a new assignment to work on international programming, the people said. Suzanna Makkos, an executive in charge of HBO Max’s comedy slate, will now report into Amy Gravitt, the head of comedy at HBO.

Some existing unscripted series that are HBO Max exclusive may still survive.

quote:

The unscripted programming team at HBO Max made reality fare like “FBOY Island,” and “Selena + Chef.” Unscripted series that HBO executives deem to be successful will continue airing, one of the people said.

Some of these moves do make a lot of sense, but it also seems to confirm the previous reports that new streaming-exclusive original content is mostly dead.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/15/business/media/hbo-max-layoffs.html

mystes
May 31, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Some of these moves do make a lot of sense, but it also seems to confirm the previous reports that new streaming-exclusive original content is mostly dead.
I mean there was probably not much reason to have streaming-exclusive content in the first place, in the sense that they might as well air it on one of their channels, but it doesn't also seem like axing whatever was arbitrarily created as hbo max original content makes much sense either

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Enos Cabell posted:

Just finished the first episode, and yeah I'm in! Barely have time to watch shows these days, but I got Sandman and Physical up next when I got time.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

mystes posted:

I mean there was probably not much reason to have streaming-exclusive content in the first place, in the sense that they might as well air it on one of their channels, but it doesn't also seem like axing whatever was arbitrarily created as hbo max original content makes much sense either

Also rough since they were seemingly strangling Adult Swim so that they could push all of that style of content to HBO Max. So who knows what the gently caress they're planning for them now.

I assumed people weren't talking about Reservation Dogs much because it didn't seem to get a huge ad push. It took me a minute to grasp that the new commercials were for a new season and not just "Hey, watch this!" I'm still stuck in Season 1 but I'm hoping to get through all of it soon. Cool show.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Only seen the first episode of Amazon's A League of Their Own series but so far, I like it, and it has a bit of the energy of the much-missed GLOW.

Also, D'Arcy Carden. Dang.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I kinda hope streaming dies like video rental. time to be reborn anew.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Thank god Fboy island survived the decimation

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Watching Predator 2, it's fun action cheese (though god drat so many cutaway kills), definitely racist as gently caress in that whole action film "THE CITY IS THE NEW JUNGLE!!!! BLACK AND BROWN GANGS OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!! COPS OUTGUNNED!!!!" Death Wish way...it's funny too, I swear the Predator is just like, doing poo poo to do poo poo. I won't pretend I care much about "Predator logic", but half the time it just feels like he's inexplicably roleplaying as Charles Bronson or really does want to take over L.A.'s gang scene. Time to make a trophy out of an old Jamaican guy with a cane, for....reasons...
For as much fun as the ensemble cast is, you kinda wish they had a better idea for a Predator sequel hot out the gates. The choices are so loving generic, and you have Caribbean dudes straight out of Live and Let Die.

I guess I do appreciate any Predator who decides his goal in life for some reason is to spend a week trolling an LAPD officer.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 16, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The best part of Predator 2 is that they hyped up this pirate gun the Predator had and gives to Danny Glover, released an entire comic tie-in about the pirate gun (and apparently how Predators fought with Pirates in the 1700's), and then just cut all of the backstory out of the movie. So, the Predator just gives Danny Glover an old flintlock pistol for some reason.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
This genuinely feels like the direct to video Predator sequel. The motherfucker gets shot while trying to push aside meat. You've got like double the budget apparently but it looks stupider in every single way compared the the original (way too much showing of the Predator I guess). The script is so unimaginative it almost feels like a Die Hard sequel thing where they just took another script and threw the Predator into it. The Predator feels like, a secondary henchman in Darkman.
You could've made Predator 2 just focused on "Gary Busey's Alien Quest" and it still would've been bad but far more entertaining than this LAPD Officer Danny Glover CITY OF CRIME generic rear end bullshit. It tries to have Robocop 2 style silly fun but the problem is the film is lame rear end tedious bullshit and mostly a failure as an action film.

lmao at the Predator saying "motherfucker" though.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 16, 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The best part of Predator 2 is that they hyped up this pirate gun the Predator had and gives to Danny Glover, released an entire comic tie-in about the pirate gun (and apparently how Predators fought with Pirates in the 1700's), and then just cut all of the backstory out of the movie. So, the Predator just gives Danny Glover an old flintlock pistol for some reason.

I thought it worked really well as an introduction, nice souvenir gift. Kind of a little cultural barrier thing going on.

Also, did anyone else see this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J0ecKnEzvU
and think of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ_HgXgZYmA
?

IDK why some wires crossed in my head not sure if there's any similarities but superficial ones.

e: hit play on both for a good time

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I almost resent people (I forget who and where) for somehow convincing me this would be shlocky fun. It just sucked. Nearly two hours and the best action scene might just be the street shootout at the very beginning.

It's hard for me to believe The Predator could be worse than this, but I'm too afraid to find out. Wow, this franchise has finally achieved true horror.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
the ending owns

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

George H.W. oval office posted:

Thank god Fboy island survived the decimation

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I almost resent people (I forget who and where) for somehow convincing me this would be shlocky fun. It just sucked. Nearly two hours and the best action scene might just be the street shootout at the very beginning.

It's hard for me to believe The Predator could be worse than this, but I'm too afraid to find out. Wow, this franchise has finally achieved true horror.

https://www.vulture.com/2022/08/every-predator-movie-ranked.html

According to this article, The Predator is better (but only just). From "fun" to good, they recommend:

AvP > Predators > Prey > Predator

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Prey spoilers they bring the gun back in Prey! Though the implications are depressing.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I've always liked it, he's just chucking him a random trophy for winning the predator battle. It implies all sorts of things, but then isn't drawn out over an extra ten minute scene with a hokey voice over.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Predator 2 didn’t need multiples minutes of lore about a gun lol

Carving that stuff off for comic book nerds is always the right move

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tiny Timbs posted:

Predator 2 didn’t need multiples minutes of lore about a gun lol

Carving that stuff off for comic book nerds is always the right move

I know. It was just funny that they made such a big deal out of hyping it, went through all the trouble of producing a tie-in comic about the pirate the Predator hunted with, and then excised all of it, but kept the old-timey pirate gun.

They could have just had him give him something else (like the thing he used to kill the Predator). Without context, it just seems weird that the Predators have an old flintlock pistol on their spaceship, they give it to him for killing one of their own, and then walk away.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I know. It was just funny that they made such a big deal out of hyping it, went through all the trouble of producing a tie-in comic about the pirate the Predator hunted with, and then excised all of it, but kept the old-timey pirate gun.

They could have just had him give him something else (like the thing he used to kill the Predator). Without context, it just seems weird that the Predators have an old flintlock pistol on their spaceship, they give it to him for killing one of their own, and then walk away.

Yeah, but everybody seemed to understand exactly what happened though.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Are you sure it was actually a "tie-in" because it says the comic was made in 1996 and Predator 2 came out in 1990. I'm sure the gun was just a neat throwaway thing the writer threw into the script and the fascination with the gun and the backstory was just something people made up afterwards.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Regardless, the pistol thing works perfectly as an intriguing bit of world building that makes your imagination run without getting into unnecessary minutiae. It tells you more about Predator culture, i.e. that they will swap hunting trophies with warriors they respect, and it shows you that they've been visiting Earth since at least 1715. That's plenty of Predator backstory for one movie.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That’s not even the only unexplained lore-building prop in the movie though

The implication is pretty straightforward just based on the context of the Predator having something like that

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The thing that really got overblown in Predator 2 was the half second pan past the alien skull that eventually spawned all the terrible AVP movies

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The best Alien Vs Predator was the capcom beat ‘em up game

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
AvP on the Jaguar was pretty dope.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

And Mortal Kombat X

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Steve Yun posted:

Played the arcade version for the first time at my local barcade and had a blast!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
finally watched Licorice Pizza on Prime. it's drat good! not sure where it fits into his filmography, but i definitely had more fun with it than Phantom Thread.

it feels of a piece with Inherent Vice, that kind of languid California story. super good movie to watch the day after you ate a heroic dose of mushrooms and adderall and you woke up and immediately ate a 10 pack of weed gummies and chugged a smoothie

uh, so i hear. from a friend. who is me

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Steve Yun posted:

I really wish Capcom would release a version for consoles. I imagine licensing is an issue, even moreso now because lol Disney, but the game was on that weird capcom logo joystick console hybrid thing, so... my hopium is real.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

teagone posted:

I really wish Capcom would release a version for consoles. I imagine licensing is an issue, even moreso now because lol Disney, but the game was on that weird capcom logo joystick console hybrid thing, so... my hopium is real.

It’s not AVP, but at least the MVC library is getting third party licensed again through the 1up mini arcade cabinet. I imagine a console release might be coming soon, and if that happens I hope for AVP

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Steve Yun posted:

It’s not AVP, but at least the MVC library is getting third party licensed again through the 1up mini arcade cabinet. I imagine a console release might be coming soon, and if that happens I hope for AVP

I wouldn't hold my breath. I think the Arcade1up counts as a "toy" for licensing, video games are a lot more complicated.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

precision posted:

finally watched Licorice Pizza on Prime. it's drat good! not sure where it fits into his filmography, but i definitely had more fun with it than Phantom Thread.

it feels of a piece with Inherent Vice, that kind of languid California story. super good movie to watch the day after you ate a heroic dose of mushrooms and adderall and you woke up and immediately ate a 10 pack of weed gummies and chugged a smoothie

uh, so i hear. from a friend. who is me

Yeah, don't miss this one, especially if you like movies like American Graffiti and/or teenagers constantly sprinting between various parts of LA. It's kind of amazing how good the lead is despite having basically no acting roles, is it just genetic?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Quick question - in Licorice Pizza, isn't he 15 into 16 and she like 25?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Crows Turn Off posted:

Quick question - in Licorice Pizza, isn't he 15 into 16 and she like 25?

Basically. Based on a true story of a friend of Paul Thomas Anderson's growing up.

Edit: And looking it up just now, apparently the lead actor is played by Philip Seymour Hoffman's son in his first acting role

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 16, 2022