Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bismuth posted:

Uh..I would have quoted someone ITT if they were. I was talking about people in the twitter thread where there a ton of people doing exactly that, including the tweet that Matt Walsh QRTed that literally called it "the evil Aztec empire"

Oh that's fair, I didn't read the twitter thread! I just expect those to be full of poison. And I expect anything Matt Walsh says or quotes to be the dumbest poo poo on the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hihohe posted:

Cortez wasnt even supposed to be there but assumed if he basically deserted his post and came back with a whole bit of land the king would be alright with it.

Burning his own ships to prevent mutiny is some strong entrepreneurial energy.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

dialhforhero posted:

I hate to tell you this but you might want to read up on gentrification and see just how many people literally robber baron their way into real estate…:smith:

This poo poo is basically becoming a tale as old as time in America. Literally entire towns founded for companies and mega rich people.

Yeah, I know but the combination of third crab from the bottom style of classism and hulu documentary fodder delusion of this dude just chaps me a little. And it being a place that I kind of care about makes it personal. I spent a lot of time there from birth through college. Hell, I was born there. No article written about how terrible a place it is really goes into the sense of desperation and intrinsic, elemental poverty experienced by most of the people there. The damage wrought by white people with money on Pine Bluff is the story of the whole town. My next door neighbor growing up was a highway department engineer who built an interstate bypass around the town, so far away from the actual city that you never even had to see it when you drove through the area. And that's not even mentioning the Pine Bluff Arsenal, a giant chemical weapons depot that affected the population exactly how you'd expect. It's like every nimby in the state wished everything they hate into a dark thing in a cotton field, that's Pine Bluff.

And this guy thinks he's going to build a fusion reactor in an abandoned warehouse there. And sell cds.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Imagine having the kind of money that could actually make a difference to a place like that. Even a small difference. And then just like, not doing it, and sitting around waiting to shoot someone instead.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

i remember this from the amazon trail on cdrom as a kid, this was what you saw after you did the mosaic puzzle piece section right

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Does anyone remember that game where you were an Inca in space? It was one of those old school FMV games where every level is basically a different mini game and none of them are very good?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Arivia posted:

i remember this from the amazon trail on cdrom as a kid, this was what you saw after you did the mosaic puzzle piece section right

Hell yeah, I got that game in a cereal box as a kid and it was fuckin' sweet.

2nd Amendment posted:

Does anyone remember that game where you were an Inca in space? It was one of those old school FMV games where every level is basically a different mini game and none of them are very good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Deqzy_tifRU?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGIoiwEtdTM

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
best theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfEwX4pWiEo

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Beat me to it

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

HopperUK posted:

Imagine having the kind of money that could actually make a difference to a place like that. Even a small difference. And then just like, not doing it, and sitting around waiting to shoot someone instead.

I see you're not familiar with HackerNews.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Bismuth posted:

Can I not believe non-consensual human sacrifice is bad, while also finding it very hypocritical/lovely/racist for people to cheer on the Spanish as a force of good defeating the "evil Aztecs" considering the almost inconceivable levels of human misery Spain caused both at home and abroad?

Nope you gotta pick. You either hate Spain and want to cut the hearts out of babies or you hate human sacrifice and want to kiss Hernán Cortés on the mouth

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

christmas boots posted:

Nope you gotta pick. You either hate Spain and want to cut the hearts out of babies or you hate human sacrifice and want to kiss Hernán Cortés on the mouth
I can fix him

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Yeh but is he even worth anything once you do

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Bismuth posted:

non-consensual human sacrifice

I have a question

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

2nd Amendment posted:

Ah do you mean INCA or INCA 2: Viracocha? Because both of them were wildly incomprehensible on a lot of levels.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

endocriminologist posted:

I have a question

does Bernd Brandes count

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

I have a question

yes?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I have a question

Historically speaking, there's been cultures that did human sacrifice and the sacrifices were willing.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Skwirl posted:

Historically speaking, there's been cultures that did human sacrifice and the sacrifices were willing.

Capitalism is recent enough that you don't need to qualify it with 'historically'

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Inceltown posted:

Capitalism is recent enough that you don't need to qualify it with 'historically'

I meant cultures where they thought it was a religious sacrament (oh wait).

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/pontifier/status/1558837701180379136
pine bluff seems like a very exciting place

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
this video is going to BLOW UP in my targeted persons club

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If you call a realtor thinking a price is so low it must be a typo, and then when they say it's not so you offer them 75% of that and it's immediately accepted, they probably know more about the property than you do.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
The warehouse was built on an ancient klepto graveyard

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Dr. Stab posted:

Cold fusion is when some guys in the 1980s did some electrochemistry and their water got hotter than they expected, and they decided it was fusion. It was actually just an experimental error. People have been trying to replicate this for decades without success. No plausible mechanism of action exists.
I had an electrochemisty professor who was super mad at these guys, because they overhyped their results and then took way too long to admit that it was just an error. They wasted an assload of research time and money as people tried to replicate results that just weren't there, all the while news worldwide screamed ENERGY PROBLEM SOON FIXED WITH THE MAGIC OF COLD FUSION. It's a myth that still hasn't died out, quite apparently.

The real sticking point for the prof tho was that according to him, the entire field of echem was discredited for years after the first publication was proven wrong, so he had a super hard time getting his stuff funded

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
But this TV documentary assured me that Pine Bluff is a special place!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xcQLNCQG1Q

e: At three minutes, the Indians are said to have “agreed to leave” their encampment.

At five minutes, “Dixie” plays.

Stay classy, Arkansas.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 12:13 on Aug 16, 2022

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Skwirl posted:

Oooh that's true
I still think that is bad tbh

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Skwirl posted:

If you call a realtor thinking a price is so low it must be a typo, and then when they say it's not so you offer them 75% of that and it's immediately accepted, they probably know more about the property than you do.

there could be GOLD in them there crumbling infrastructure

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I meant cultures where they thought it was a religious sacrament (oh wait).

Making fun of Disney Adults is religious discrimination because they worship Mickey Mouse. I am a religious studies professor at Harvard.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GreenMetalSun posted:

Making fun of Disney Adults is religious discrimination because they worship Mickey Mouse. I am a religious studies professor at Harvard.

I'd probably have more respect for disney adults if they practiced ritual human sacrifice.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Skwirl posted:

I'd probably have more respect for disney adults if they practiced ritual human sacrifice.

They sacrifice workers in third-world industrial accidents to ensure that their supply of Funko Pops and lightsaber replicas never runs short

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
at least some kind of ritual might imply a certain amount of respect for the sacrifice instead of just ignoring it as a necessary external cost of business

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Skwirl posted:

How many people have got covid at a disney park and died, or infected others who then died? I'm sure the Mouse has had his fair share of blood and skulls for capitalist throne.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:ironicat:
https://twitter.com/jillianross10/status/1559445543579000832?t=SkMiBffvUyKLOetQ0KoH4Q&s=19

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

there could be GOLD in them there crumbling infrastructure
Doubtful, Cortes took it all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Platystemon posted:

Burning his own ships to prevent mutiny is some strong entrepreneurial energy.

Burning your own ships for morale reasons happened a lot more than you think.

Didn’t always work however

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Lean In!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CharlestheHammer posted:

Burning your own ships for morale reasons happened a lot more than you think.

Didn’t always work however
Seems prone to survivorship bias

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

"Have you considered presenting yourself as male so people will take you seriously?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Wanna watch a TV chef burn down his career on a live stream?

https://twitter.com/chloejayde_/status/1559262389060739076?s=20&t=mKzlucinBMBXk7E3TOw3YA