Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The only thing I'm disappointed by in the saul finale: no smoke on the water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

was this posted ITT when it was new, I wasn't posting here yet

https://twitter.com/artbyhumans/status/1559195858696019968

squinting super hard at that last part

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I know asking followups of the guy so stupid he couldn't even write a Star Wars story and had to make a murder droid named Mr Bones to be a character is pointless but...who does he think is 'the chosen one' in LOTR?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

I know asking followups of the guy so stupid he couldn't even write a Star Wars story and had to make a murder droid named Mr Bones to be a character is pointless but...who does he think is 'the chosen one' in LOTR?

like, reaction number one is "why are you accusing the original defining work of a genre which established a lot of its tropes for the first time of having tired tropes as though it just came out" and then reaction number two about a second later is "wait, what the gently caress is he even talking about"

Like, I guess he's probably talking about Aragorn??? I dunno any Chosen-One-y-ness about him is way weaker than, say, Harry Potter, and something about Chuck Wendig says "has taken at least 50 sorting hat quizzes" to me

loquacius has issued a correction as of 15:17 on Aug 16, 2022

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

like, reaction number one is "why are you accusing the original defining work of a genre which established a lot of its tropes for the first time of having tired tropes as though it just came out" and then reaction number two about a second later is "wait, what the gently caress is he even talking about"

Like, I guess he's probably talking about Aragorn??? I dunno any Chosen-One-y-ness about him is way weaker than, say, Harry Potter, and something about Chuck Wendig says "has taken at least 50 sorting hat quizzes" to me

god he probably is, even though the whole point is like every elf who knew him was literally working behind the scenes to help this smelly hobo live up to this incredibly vague 'prophesy' because they knew it would help bring peace when he reclaimed his throne rather than him literally being 'chosen' on any level deeper than being the genuine heir.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

if anyone's a traditional chosen one in LotR it's Gandalf. He's a lesser god explicitly sent by the big gods and even he can't carry the ring because he's too powerful. That's the point. How does he miss the point that hard what the gently caress is he even on about

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Its Tom Bombadil. The gods and tolkien chose him and instead of accepting their choice he just kept should "hey dol! Ho dol! Ring a dong dillo!" Until they left.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Gollum was the Chosen One

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

if anyone's a traditional chosen one in LotR it's Gandalf. He's a lesser god explicitly sent by the big gods and even he can't carry the ring because he's too powerful. That's the point. How does he miss the point that hard what the gently caress is he even on about

yea the only real 'chosen one' is the literal angel analogy who outright says 'oh yea dude I can't do this at all' and spends his time as a mentor for the reluctant heroes because the entire loving point of the story is that the guys who had no obligation or cosmic force 'compelling' them, but instead chose to take this burden up out of nobility and goodness, are the actual heroes

I know it's such a loving obvious thing to nerd-rage out over but regardless of how you feel about the stories the moral is just SO loving obvious and overt!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my 8th grade english project was about how frodo chose to take the ring with his free will lmao

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Its Tom Bombadil. The gods and tolkien chose him and instead of accepting their choice he just kept should "hey dol! Ho dol! Ring a dong dillo!" Until they left.

Tom Bombadil's message is clear

who cares about war, spend your time loving in the forest

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Aragorn seems more chosen-one-ish in the movies where he has Elrond telling him to become who he was born to be and so on and so forth, so I'm gonna go with "he got a Vibe from the movies and got so mad about it he didn't actually read the books because it was all he could think about" as my explanation

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

even that doesn't account for the fact that Aragorn is not an unassuming middle-class white kid in the suburbs living a mundane life and wishing there was something more, though, it's just a snap judgment that was totally wrong and is in fact much more applicable to YA fiction which he undoubtedly loves (also Star Wars lmao)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The culmination of Aragorns chosen one quest is getting some ghosts to help out at the end of a fight

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

like, being the scion of a presumed-lost royal line and having important people always insisting on using you as a pawn because of it doesn't make you a Chosen One

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the Discworld equivalent is that Carrot Nobby is a Chosen One

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/ChuckWendig/status/1559521880188526594?s=20&t=sK_q6uSRv24jJACiVAWqSg

coward has his replies off

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is he the guy that was fired from Star Wars novels for being Too Online? Imagine giving up that gig to soyface about Bernie Bros or whatever.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Frosted Flake posted:

Is he the guy that was fired from Star Wars novels for being Too Online? Imagine giving up that gig to soyface about Bernie Bros or whatever.

yea he's the guy who thinks libraries are stealing and writes cringe like 'the TIE Fighter wibble-wobbled herkily jerkily"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Christ I just read the kindle sample for Aftermath.

Why the gently caress does he write like that--with the weird interjections--it jerks you around like a bike with a misshapen wheel. His prose is so ugly and passive.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The most terrifying and unsettling White Wolf product is Chuck Wendig.

YA Author: The Cancelling should be the next game from them

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I see it's time once again for everyone to make fun of me for an immensely stupid thing I said about the field I'm apparently a paid professional in :rolleyes:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Chuck "libraries are piracy" Wendig

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Christ I just read the kindle sample for Aftermath.

Why the gently caress does he write like that--with the weird interjections--it jerks you around like a bike with a misshapen wheel. His prose is so ugly and passive.

look i agree with your first point but to call eminem's lyrics passive is just flat wrong

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

loquacius posted:

yeah I uh

would rather that didn't happen

Join the club. :( But at least it's astoundingly dignified compared to his peers.

Am reminded that Pterry once said he got some letters from his fans, especially elderly ones, hoping that his Death will be the one that they encounter when their time has come. Apparently, they made him spend a lot of time staring at the wall.

Must be said how much that matters for a person who obviously cares about people and isn't afraid to show it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Atrocious Joe posted:

The most terrifying and unsettling White Wolf product is Chuck Wendig.

YA Author: The Cancelling should be the next game from them

Didn’t they get #cancelled for releasing a new game that was literally about glorifying abusers? I read the thread about it on SA and what I saw of it seemed to confirm it.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Xaris posted:

holy gently caress. my mind is seriously blown. i don't believe that. like if anything, the average age of the dipshit Nielsen family poll-responders is 58 years old okay sure. maybe if their stuff was available on streaming so people under 30 didn't have to pirate it? idk

that's honestly kinda sick lmao. well, get ready for a bunch of ford f950 HDR 4k freedom rancher edition trucks and SUV commercials and cop procedurals where they lock up the bad drug dealing brown people

https://mobile.twitter.com/marisabaram/status/1559405180159873025?cxt=HHwWgsCqhfqvj6QrAAAA

A possible explanation.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I would assume the CW age metric isn’t looking at prime time 7-10pm shows but for a full 24 hour period in which case yeah who do you think is watching CW content at 11am

but if it is prime time only then lol

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Frosted Flake posted:

https://twitter.com/Lin_Manuel/status/1151903551032983552?t=apa8k73fBSFTzzDdZilHrQ&s=19

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/GeoffreyKeel/status/1559546012355764230

gamergate-style

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

This is the same kind of rhetoric deployed against everyone who tried to call out the Lockheed Martin person

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I guess the thing with Star Wars / Warhammer novels is the demo. They want what they want, and that sure as hell isn’t a challenge. You can dress it up with genre, make it horror or crime, play with noir or westerns, but ultimately there’s a ceiling to what you’re presenting them with, even beyond being limited to the setting and not loving around with canon too much.

Still, from the author’s point of view, it seems like guaranteed pay cheques for not very much work, so again, loving that up because you’re addicted to twitter seems like a mistake.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is the same kind of rhetoric deployed against everyone who tried to call out the Lockheed Martin person

He probably does have a lot of people calling him a soyboy or whatever, but,

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

A bunch of Slimes jumping into each other to form a King Slime.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

There have been a lot of spicy Tom Green bits but a musical about slave owners who rap and are played by black people seems pretty insensitive. I preferred Freddy Got Fingered myself, less political.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Xaris posted:

holy gently caress. my mind is seriously blown. i don't believe that. like if anything, the average age of the dipshit Nielsen family poll-responders is 58 years old okay sure. maybe if their stuff was available on streaming so people under 30 didn't have to pirate it? idk

that's honestly kinda sick lmao. well, get ready for a bunch of ford f950 HDR 4k freedom rancher edition trucks and SUV commercials and cop procedurals where they lock up the bad drug dealing brown people

i rented a basement room from a family where the dad worked night shifts, and i would regularly come upstairs in the morning to find him wearing a wifebeater, drinking a 40, and yelling at episodes of Vampire Diaries about which vampires should gently caress which other vampires

that dude was tight as hell and i still send him a father's day card every year

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

i rented a basement room from a family where the dad worked night shifts, and i would regularly come upstairs in the morning to find him wearing a wifebeater, drinking a 40, and yelling at episodes of Vampire Diaries about which vampires should gently caress which other vampires

that dude was tight as hell and i still send him a father's day card every year

Lol gently caress yeah that's the dream right there

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

loquacius posted:

yeah I uh

would rather that didn't happen

Eh it's a cute sendoff on a social media platform. It's not like people were crashing the funeral in costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Eh it's a cute sendoff on a social media platform. It's not like people were crashing the funeral in costume.

i don't think they mean the sendoff but the continued use of the handle by the kids