Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

This is what I'm talking about. I'm not referring to suspension, I'm referring to the actual frame design being a collosal piece of poo poo, I've seen bikes that have big wheels but also a folding hinge in the middle for some boomer reason, that kind of thing.

You gotta get that city dweller folding bike market. I'm sure it's just like a checkbox on the paper "do you want it to fold" "sure why not". Never mind that it's terrifying at any sort of speed to ride a slippery pasta noodle like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Russian Bear posted:

Got a pic? That sounds rad. Do you do spiky tires in the winter?

I do, it is pretty great (when it's not broken) and I do.

I probably put 7000 km on the thing or so last year and things are bound to break so I shouldn't complain. Right now it needs new calipers since they're both leaking mineral oil onto discs and pads which isn't great for safety. Also really noisy. I have a pair sitting in a cardboard box on my workbench RN so it should be fine again shortly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

You gotta get that city dweller folding bike market. I'm sure it's just like a checkbox on the paper "do you want it to fold" "sure why not". Never mind that it's terrifying at any sort of speed to ride a slippery pasta noodle like that.

Also to your earlier point I find anything below like 50cm profile bone-crushing on a hard tail lol

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Oh Hello

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-news/can-am-announces-electric-motorcycle-production-2024/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
everything about the one on the left is excellent except for that utter carbuncle of a dashboard

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can they do the impossible and charge a normal motorcycle price for it?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Is it just the trick of the eye or is that not a 17 inch wheel on the pulse. Why does it look so big???

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is the pulse the norden rip off? Then that’s a 21” front.

edit: OK I clicked the link now that I'm not phone-posting. The Pulse looks a lot like a LiveWire to me. The sidewall on the rear tire is weirdly tall. Maybe just a bad render.

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 16, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

everything about the one on the left is excellent except for that utter carbuncle of a dashboard

How long will it take for the 'put an ipad on everything' trend to gently caress off?

It's here forever isn't it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

How long will it take for the 'put an ipad on everything' trend to gently caress off?

It's here forever isn't it.

“Can you adjust the pilot screw on my iPad screen mr moto mechanic?”

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Sure that's just an OTA.

However that'll cost $19.99 per month to access.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Does an electric even need any instruments besides a speedo? Maybe a couple idiot lights, but if there's no gears and no possibility of over-revving the motor then what else is there to really pay attention to? :shrug:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 16, 2022

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

If you sacrifice continuous power output for lower weight, you can get away with lighter cooling components. A temperature gauge would be nice.
All modern motor controllers have thermal cutouts in various places but it would be nice to know how close you are to that.
But this only makes sense if thermal overload is actually a realistic scenario. On the current water cooled ICE bikes it's almost impossible to make it get too hot, because maxumum power is limited.

Electric motors, however, can draw extreme amounts of power under heavy load. A 50kW continous motor is likely to be able to draw 300kW under heavy load, like when pulling away, or when it's geared for a very low motor RPM/very high top speed.
The manufacturers now have to make a choice: uprate the cooling system dramatically so you can overload the motor more often without thermal issues, limit the power output to 50kW so you can never exceed the cooling capacity, or have users get used to the fact that you can get way more power output than thermally possible, but you have to keep an eye on the temp gauge.
Realistically speaking, having a 50kW electric motor is already eeking towards 'that's silly amounts of power and starting torque' so allowing them to run at 300kW for a few seconds at a time will likely not happen. Cooling the 50kW motor and matching battery pack, even at a power level limited to 50kW is also not trivial. So i think we end up with 'rated power is max power, overload conditions are artificially limited'.
Allowing several hundred of kW will just result in the rear wheel slipping for a few seconds, i'd think. I have no idea. We're in the area of theoretical mathmotorcycling right now.

I managed to push a Cake Kalk into its thermal overload power reduced condition. Which is not that hard - passive cooling, 11kW of power so you're on full throttle all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI-OT6-TZRA

Stuff like in the above video draws (and delivers) about 8 times the rated power during a startup. It's glorious.
Your average power tool is also able to draw several times the power rating on the label, and if you do it too much, things will start to smoke.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 16, 2022

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
The thermal load of an ICE is much higher than electric motors though? Is it not anymore? With all the waste energy from the combustion process it has to be.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Renaissance Robot posted:

Does an electric even need any instruments besides a speedo? Maybe a couple idiot lights, but if there's no gears and no possibility of over-revving the motor then what else is there to really pay attention to? :shrug:
Minimum would be speedo, odo, and state-of-charge (battery level), yeah.

My zero is the generation before they added anything fancy so its dash is bare bones. Off the top of my head: clock, speedometer, odometer, state of charge, four idiot lights (ABS, CEL, Everythings-ok, and one other), two bars showing power and torque, and two configurables which can cycle through motor RPMs, guess-o-meter (range remaining), battery temp, current/avg watts-per-mile, and a few other forgettables.

Temp readout is only really needed because my bike has no active cooling so on long hot trips you'll see slower charging.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

The thermal load of an ICE is much higher than electric motors though? Is it not anymore? With all the waste energy from the combustion process it has to be.

Yes but electrics are already absurdly heavy :ssh:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

RIP to this crashed and then probably abandoned/stolen bike I woke up to outside my condo.

There was a nice trail of oil down the street leading to where it rests.

doomisland fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 16, 2022

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Aww, i want to give it a nice home...

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I've always had a soft spot for the first gen R6. And somebody at some point put some real money into getting that frame and swingarm anodized...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

I've always had a soft spot for the first gen R6. And somebody at some point put some real money into getting that frame and swingarm anodized...

They are the best R6 imo

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Ended a 6 month bike hiatus and bought this. It's brilliant. The simple joy of (near) silent running through the woods, being able to throw it in the back of the car, and old people being interested instead of annoyed.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Shelvocke posted:

Ended a 6 month bike hiatus and bought this. It's brilliant. The simple joy of (near) silent running through the woods, being able to throw it in the back of the car, and old people being interested instead of annoyed.

That thing looks :krad:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

That looks awesome. Who makes it?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

That looks awesome. Who makes it?

Looked like a Sur-Ron to me at first but it's a Talaria
https://ebikezilla.com/en/100007-talaria

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Talaria Sting. Supposedly it's made by the same engineer from Sur Ron and is just a slightly more refined version with roomier ergos. When it came down to it I just preferred the throttle response, comfort and stability when I test rode them.
Feels like an incredibly light and planted little dirt bike.
No engine vibes but still managed to lose the number plate in the first ride.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Holy crap, wait a second. Was it this forum where someone briefly mused about putting the front sprocket on the same axis as the swingarm to obviate chain slack? It looks like that's been achieved here.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

Holy crap, wait a second. Was it this forum where someone briefly mused about putting the front sprocket on the same axis as the swingarm to obviate chain slack? It looks like that's been achieved here.

It's not a good thing, it speaks to them not really knowing what they're doing OR having discovered a heretofore unknown anti squat geometry.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slide Hammer posted:

The BMW G450x had that, looked like a total pain in the bollocks to change sprockets.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Without going out to look, I think the gearbox is nestled between the swing arms but the sprocket is not on the axle if that's what you meant.
I suspect the swingarm has to be removed to change the front sprocket but considering how light and simple it all is I can't imagine it's a big job.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

The amount of awesome electric bikes popping up in NYC makes me kinda regret buying an ICE bike. They seem to get all of the benefits of motorcycling with none of the bullshit. No need to register with the DMV, get a plate, get insured, get inspected, deal with gas stations, etc etc.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Scam Likely posted:

The amount of awesome electric bikes popping up in NYC makes me kinda regret buying an ICE bike. They seem to get all of the benefits of motorcycling with none of the bullshit. No need to register with the DMV, get a plate, get insured, get inspected, deal with gas stations, etc etc.

In a city, an e-bike is vastly more useful and handy, and possibly even more fun (if easier to steal). It's just if you ever want to leave that their usefulness falls off a cliff.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Finger Prince posted:

In a city, an e-bike is vastly more useful and handy, and possibly even more fun (if easier to steal). It's just if you ever want to leave that their usefulness falls off a cliff.

The exception to this is if you live somewhere with a functional train system (or even buses in some countries) that lets you bring bicycles onboard. I can bring an e-bike on the commuter trains outside rush hour for example, but I can't bring a motorcycle. There's a place I go on the regular that's 80km away which is a literal pain in the rear end on a bicycle and pushing the range on most e-bikes but the train/bike combo means it's only 10km in the saddle. Foldable scooters and all the other weird electric personal transportation devices are allowed on city buses, trams and subway here, which is the only reason I'd consider getting something like that if my daily travel habits included those.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
It is cool and much easier to ride than the xr650r.

It is great in tighter trails. I don't think twice about turning off the main route to explore the woods, it's so quiet and inoffensive.

So quiet, in fact, that nature can't be bothered to run away.

Installed an anchor in the shed for a chain. The Allen slots have ball bearings hammered into them to make them unusable. Not going to stop a proper thief, but should make things inconvenient for them.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Shelvocke posted:

Not going to stop a proper thief, but should make things inconvenient for them.

That's all security is. The only things that a thief needs are time and sufficient motivation. If you make something take too long or less enticing to steal, they're going to move on to stealing something easier, like a catalytic converter under a car up the street. If they're motivated enough, like because you keep piles of loose diamonds in your home, you're not going to find a lock to keep someone out. Even if you put some unpickable high-security biometric bullshit lock on a door, someone could just blow the hinges off. Or go through a window.

At the very least, trying to get through that chain would be loud as gently caress. That's really all you need.

But man I'd love an electric bicycle. Particularly an electric bike that's good offroad, or an electric dirtbike (frankly I don't know where you draw the line between those two things). I just wish they weren't so drat expensive.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Shelvocke posted:

It is cool and much easier to ride than the xr650r.

It is great in tighter trails. I don't think twice about turning off the main route to explore the woods, it's so quiet and inoffensive.

So quiet, in fact, that nature can't be bothered to run away.

Installed an anchor in the shed for a chain. The Allen slots have ball bearings hammered into them to make them unusable. Not going to stop a proper thief, but should make things inconvenient for them.

This looks amazing. What sort of time/range did you get so far? How much was the bike? How was it delivered? Is there a dealer network?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

that thing looks insanely fun.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I need to sell the FZ09 that I'm not riding and replace it with with one of these, for sure

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Russian Bear posted:

This looks amazing. What sort of time/range did you get so far? How much was the bike? How was it delivered? Is there a dealer network?

These are my questions too. Thinking into the future, I'd really like an electric moto for gravel roads and trails with a 100ish mile range. As much as I like medium thumper dual sports, I might go back to a more street-oriented bike for touring plus something like this that I could just toss in the back of the truck and haul up into the woods.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

These are my questions too. Thinking into the future, I'd really like an electric moto for gravel roads and trails with a 100ish mile range. As much as I like medium thumper dual sports, I might go back to a more street-oriented bike for touring plus something like this that I could just toss in the back of the truck and haul up into the woods.

The bike Shelvocke mentioned only has a ~4kWh battery so I'd estimate 40 miles or so range. The next EV I buy will most likely be a truck with a 240V outlet so I can quickly charge the bike up quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Bike was 4.5k new. I got it from an guy who deals exclusively in e-bikes about 2 hours away. Nice guy, lots of info, very little bullshit, let me test ride everything. Got it fully assembled and he registered it on the phone while I was fiddling with cutting the derestrictor wire (lol).

Range depends a lot on riding. A prolonged hill climb will eat battery more quickly. Pootling around the woods hopping over logs and it'll last a lot longer. Today I did a mix of high speed riding on the ridge and doing some flowy single track with regen (similar to engine breaking in feel) set to 4, and I rode for 1.5 - 2 hours and had 28% left on the battery.

Supposedly it'll go 62 miles on eco mode in a city, I think at my weight with mixed riding mostly off road on sport 40 miles is about right. Probably more helpful to think of it in terms of time, so 2 hours ish.

The sting has a slightly larger battery compartment that isn't fully utilised, supposedly a custom battery could go up to around 70aH (current one is 38) and batteries are improving by about 5% year on year. By the time this bike needs a new battery maybe I'll be able to get a 100aH one, who knows.

It's small enough to go in my car if I take the front wheel off, so I just drive to the trail to skip the boring and range eating road bit. I'll probably get a tow bar rack sometime, or make one.