Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There are other straight swords that have better damage scaling that you can put carian grandeur on. No reason to limit yourself to that one. It does look cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ginette Reno posted:

Also is it just me or is it prohibitively hard to upgrade multiple normal weapons in this game, but very easy to upgrade multiple sombers? I just finished Ranni's quest and I've also done Altus/Caelid. I've been very thorough. I don't have enough stones to upgrade multiple weapons to a high level which require normal stones, but I just upgraded the Carian Regal Scepter to +9 and I still have enough mats to upgrade another weapon to +9 if I so choose.

But it takes an assload of smithing stones to do an equivalent upgrade. It's not a huge deal. I did some research and found out that Carian Regal Scepter actually outperforms Carian Glinstone Staff at 80 int, even with Carian sorceries. But man god forbid you ever wanna swap from one normal weapon to another in this. It'd be very hard to do mid game. Much easier to swap from one somber weapon to another or even upgrade multiples.

Yes, definitely. If you’re doing all the legacy dungeons and mines and remembering to hit all the pavilion things in Liurnia, you can keep two normal weapons upgraded without too much trouble. This will also give you enough sombers to get like 5-10 weapons to +6 though.

Also if you cleared Carian Manor ever, you end up with like 25 somber+2 because the hands drop them and only them constantly

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The double greatsword knight ash(Oleg?) is available early and is a good mix of tankiness, damage and slamming people into the ground.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Arcvasti posted:

6) Radagon's Soreseal isn't worth it once you have decent vigor imo. 20 levels is not that much in Elden Ring, but 15% more damage taken is a lot. It might still be useful at the point you're at, but be wary of welding it to yourself permanently.

People smarter than me have done the math and iirc it was either 30 or 35 vigor that you hit a break point at where the net EHP from the damage increase outweighs the bonus vigor.

It’s kind of a weird item - it’s found late enough in the game that you should realistically have enough vigor that it’s not usable, but it’s also in a spot that if you beeline it on a new character it’s trivial to get at level one. It’s absolutely essential for any low level PVP or challenge build where you need to be hyper efficient with stat allocation.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I rushed it on my current playthrough and it was pretty nice in Limgrave/Liurnia. I didn't notice the increased damage taken that much, but the increased end/vigor were welcome early.

After that, damage increases a lot more and I took it off.

skasion posted:

Yes, definitely. If you’re doing all the legacy dungeons and mines and remembering to hit all the pavilion things in Liurnia, you can keep two normal weapons upgraded without too much trouble. This will also give you enough sombers to get like 5-10 weapons to +6 though.

Also if you cleared Carian Manor ever, you end up with like 25 somber+2 because the hands drop them and only them constantly

Hm maybe I missed some normal ones then because all I've upgraded was my Carian Glinstone Staff and I don't have enough stones to really upgrade any other weapon of that type as far as I'd like. Or at least, not to the equivalent of +9 somber.

Like I said though, not a huge deal. I'm at the int point now where Carian Regal Staff is outperforming what I was using anyways, even with Carian Sorceries.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 16, 2022

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Pope Guilty posted:

Is there a decent guide out there to finishing all the quests? I've seen some images that are basically compilations of all the quests and their steps but I'm interested in something that's like "okay, Limgrave, be sure to do these things and don't do this before doing that, swing by Caelid to do this, then off to Liurnia to do that"- something intended as an easy to follow guide that flows with the actual way players move through the game.

I use what seems to be someone's iOS app version of this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roundtable_Guides/comments/u0xemb/tldr_guide_to_the_all_npc_quest_steps_in_order/

if you're on iOS, the one I use is either called EldenRingGuides or Roundtable Guides. "either" because the icon on the home screen says the former, but inside the app itself it's the latter.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Ginette Reno posted:

Also is it just me or is it prohibitively hard to upgrade multiple normal weapons in this game, but very easy to upgrade multiple sombers? I just finished Ranni's quest and I've also done Altus/Caelid. I've been very thorough. I don't have enough stones to upgrade multiple weapons to a high level which require normal stones, but I just upgraded the Carian Regal Scepter to +9 and I still have enough mats to upgrade another weapon to +9 if I so choose.

But it takes an assload of smithing stones to do an equivalent upgrade. It's not a huge deal. I did some research and found out that Carian Regal Scepter actually outperforms Carian Glinstone Staff at 80 int, even with Carian sorceries. But man god forbid you ever wanna swap from one normal weapon to another in this. It'd be very hard to do mid game. Much easier to swap from one somber weapon to another or even upgrade multiples.

The balance is definitely out of whack. Like I dunno the ratio of normal to Somber weapons, but on my first play I was swimming in Sombers of every level, and still had to scramble to get my last few 8/9s for regular gear.

Even taking something as simple as the ratio of upgrades: 1 somber lvl == 2.5 regular lvls, then you would expect to find regular stones 2.5x as often. I'm sure if you did it as a ratio of Total Somber Weapons :: Total Normal Weapons it would be even more ridiculously out of whack.

But yeah, I never feel like I'm swimming in Normal stones, but by Caelid I have 3-4 of every level of Somber available by then, and very likely 1-2 or some higher I grabbed while speedrunning to something else. With the amount of Somber stones I have, I could get 3 NEW weapons to Somber +4, which is Normal +10. If I picked up ONE new Normal weapon, I'd at least have to buy 1-2 stones to even get it to +3, might have enough for +4, and maybe +5, but will have like maybe 1 apiece of the next 2 tiers.

What I'm gettin' at is: no - it's not just you. It's very oddly balanced.

HaB fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 16, 2022

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Hm maybe I missed some normal ones then because all I've upgraded was my Carian Glinstone Staff and I don't have enough stones to really upgrade any other weapon of that type as far as I'd like. Or at least, not to the equivalent of +9 somber.

Like I said though, not a huge deal. I'm at the int point now where Carian Regal Staff is outperforming what I was using anyways, even with Carian Sorceries.

Yeah probably. if you skip/delay any of the big dungeons or tunnels you might run into a bottleneck, and this is really easy to do because the number of places you can go in the early game is huge. I guess the way to think of it is that two normal weapons is the maximum you can reasonably keep upgraded without buying shards.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Man, the payoff to Nepheli's questline is really cool. She's actually a surprisingly good tank summon against Godfrey, letting you and your spirit ash pile on the damage.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Man now that light roll is slightly longer distance I feel stupidly compelled to hit light load, but I’m using a +25 giant crusher or a +10 ruins greatsword. Took my loving pants off. Barefoot, with the equip load talisman, erdtree +2, scarseal. And a rune arc. Still medium. I can use my Radahn sword(s) thought so that’s been fun as hell.

My current playstyle doesn’t really get much from a longer roll so I’m gonna go back, but it’s cool that they added a benefit to light load. There really needs to be something like a flip roll or quickstep, or improved jumping or something. Maybe a DEX benefit similar to two-handing for STR?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ashes of war give quickstep and bloodhound step which is this game’s version of flip ring. Pre-patch flip ring was absolutely obnoxious

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I wont argue that Radagons Soreseal doesnt get outpaced / cause more harm than good later on. But i used that thing for a very long time on my mage to boost my absolute garbage endurance etc stats so i could wear armor.

Also as a mage i sniped a lot so getting hit only happened when i hosed up bad.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I didn't realize you didn't need more than base stats to powerstance in this game. Turns out Eleanora's and the Godskin twinblades are really good, especially together. On my last character before I have 100%, only got Frenzied Flame ending left. I think I will make Dung Eater drink the funy potion and try to do the Nepheli sidequest since when I last really dug into the game, that quest wasn't completable!

And I might make a few characters that have access to Mohg's Crow-Shootin' Rune Pit early, since I bought PS+ for a little bit, in case I get the itch to buy the DLC. Kind of annoying that you need to be online to progress Varrequest; don't think many other Soulsy games have done that.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 16, 2022

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bogart posted:

I didn't realize you didn't need more than base stats to powerstance in this game. Turns out Eleanora's and the Godskin twinblades are really good, especially together. On my last character before I have 100%, only got Frenzied Flame ending left. I think I will make Dung Eater drink the funy potion and try to do the Nepheli sidequest since when I last really dug into the game, that quest wasn't completable!

And I might make a few characters that have access to Mohg's Crow-Shootin' Rune Pit early, since I bought PS+ for a little bit, in case I get the itch to buy the DLC. Kind of annoying that you need to be online to progress Varrequest; don't think many other Soulsy games have done that.

Latest patch made it so there's now an NPC invasion you can kill if you so choose to. It'll be in the atlus plateau.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Where's my god drat dlc Miyazaki??

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Where's my god drat dlc Miyazaki??

Twelve months out, according to the leak :(

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The method for completing Nepheli's questline after giving her that spirit ash isn't entirely obvious, so I'll tell you. After killing Morgott, rest at the Godrick the Grafted site of grace until Gatekeeper Gostoc vanishes from the boss arena (assuming you didn't kill him - don't worry, the quest isn't broken if you did, he's just a useful signpost). Then you can meet Kenneth and Nepheli in the Stormveil throne room for a happy reunion and a nice little prize. Much later, her summon sign will be available just outside the fog gate to Godfrey's boss arena.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

HaB posted:

Even taking something as simple as the ratio of upgrades: 1 somber lvl == 2.5 regular lvls, then you would expect to find regular stones 2.5x as often. I'm sure if you did it as a ratio of Total Somber Weapons :: Total Normal Weapons it would be even more ridiculously out of whack.

Missed an operation here -- 1 somber stone is the equivalent of 2.5 regular weapon LEVELS. And 3 regular weapon levels costs 12(!) regular smithing stones. So really, we should be finding regular smithing stones something like 10x as often as somber stones, not 2.5x. I've been complaining about this since release! I'm suspicious of the idea that even a 100% clear is going to be able to keep two regular weapons upgraded -- I did a ton of tunnels and extra content on my first playthrough, and my seal was always like 4+ levels behind my main weapon.

One of my biggest (and only) gripes about the game is the mindset behind the way they distributed the items throughout the world. They actually went back in one of the previous patches and increased the amount of regular stones out in the world, but not enough that you'd feel free to play with different weapons, and you still have that FOMO fear of "wasting" them on your current sword and finding one you like better later on.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The double greatsword knight ash(Oleg?) is available early and is a good mix of tankiness, damage and slamming people into the ground.

I was gonna suggest this one too, he was a lot of fun until I started using Other Me exclusively. "Available early" is true too, with the caveat that you have to be able to beat the Fringefolk Hero Dungeon.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 16, 2022

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Phenotype posted:

One of my biggest (and only) gripes about the game is the mindset behind the way they distributed the items throughout the world. They actually went back in one of the previous patches and increased the amount of regular stones out in the world, but not enough that you'd feel free to play with different weapons, and you still have that FOMO fear of "wasting" them on your current sword and finding one you like better later on.

You might miss out on a couple of weapon levels, but you get the bell bearings pretty quickly in the grand scheme of things. It's also one area where you get regular quicker than somber - you need to go to CFA for the last regular but the last two somber.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

It’s a serious relief once you get those last few bell bearings and no longer have to worry about scrounging for stones for any weapon.

Then it becomes a terrible game of considering whether a weapon is Ancient-stone worthy.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You might miss out on a couple of weapon levels, but you get the bell bearings pretty quickly in the grand scheme of things. It's also one area where you get regular quicker than somber - you need to go to CFA for the last regular but the last two somber.

You don't really get the bell bearings pretty quickly, though. That's actually the chief complaint -- by the time I found the bell bearing for 6s, I'd be finding 7s and 8s out in the world, so my main weapon would be +18 or better and my seal would be like +15. Felt like they should have shown up a lot earlier, especially the ones that they put in the Haligtree and CFA. I shouldn't have to wait til literally the final dungeon in the game (or the optional extra-hard dungeon) to level my weapons up to max.

(Also speaking mainly about the regular stones here -- I wasn't bothered about the final somber stone bell bearings because you can find enough somber stones naturally to keep 2+ weapons up to par. I think I had a +10 Blasphemous Blade and another +9 weapon by the time I started CFA.)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yeah it's kind of absurd how late you get the bell bearings for stones. Iirc the 6 is in Mountaintops and the 7 is in Farum Azula. Absurdly late. I dunno why they make you wait that long for unlimited stones that aren't even the top tier ones.

Frankly, I dunno why they don't just either give you those earlier or just let you swap stones out of one weapon and into another. Maybe make it cost a lot of souls to do or something. Who really gives a poo poo if you're swapping stones out of a weapon all the time? It's not an overpowered thing to do, it's just someone wanting to use a different weapon.

I know every souls game has been like this but there isn't a good reason for it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

At least they patched in that you keep the upgrade bell bearings into NG+ so you can at least upgrade duplicates of unique weapons fast. But yeah, waiting to early Mountaintops to get normal weapons to +18 and CFA to +24 is awful.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Midniter posted:

It’s a serious relief once you get those last few bell bearings and no longer have to worry about scrounging for stones for any weapon.

Then it becomes a terrible game of considering whether a weapon is Ancient-stone worthy.

the thing is going from +9 to +10 on a somber or +24 to +25 on a regular is just the same increase as any other weapon level increase, so it's not like you're missing out on a huge damage bonus on the weapons you decide not to cap out

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Cowcaster posted:

the thing is going from +9 to +10 on a somber or +24 to +25 on a regular is just the same increase as any other weapon level increase, so it's not like you're missing out on a huge damage bonus on the weapons you decide not to cap out

I thought that fully upgrading a somber to a +10 or a regular weapon to +25 typically increases the scaling on the main stat for that weapon, like from C to B or B to A or something? So the jump from +9 to +10 would be more than the jump from +8 to +9.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Midniter posted:

I thought that fully upgrading a somber to a +10 or a regular weapon to +25 typically increases the scaling on the main stat for that weapon, like from C to B or B to A or something? So the jump from +9 to +10 would be more than the jump from +8 to +9.
Iirc the letter doesn't reflect the numerical change (which is why upgrading a weapon from C scaling to C scaling still actually increases scaling) and they all scale linearly numerically

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, scaling in Soulsborne is weird in that it’s sort of just an approximation and going from B to A just means you went from 78% to 81% and passed 80%. Well, it’s probably a lot more complicated in practice but that should give an idea of the behind the hood workings. They really should just have +/- to give a clearer idea.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, scaling in Soulsborne is weird in that it’s sort of just an approximation and going from B to A just means you went from 78% to 81% and passed 80%. Well, it’s probably a lot more complicated in practice but that should give an idea of the behind the hood workings. They really should just have +/- to give a clearer idea.

yeah, you've got the gist of it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I think they should put a number in brackets next to the letter scaling (such as the aforementioned 81%) so that it's easier to compare items and upgrade levels. Even if it's simplified, it's still better than the exceedingly vague letter system. The "nothing will be explained, piece it together yourselves losers" vibe is all well and good for the lore and storyline - I think it's great, it engages the imagination and gets people speculating - but it doesn't add a whole lot to the riveting task of converting ever-increasing amounts of imaginary resources into slightly larger imaginary damage numbers

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

It's always been weird to me in souls games how you don't know what the scaling of the weapon will be when you upgrade it. So you often don't even know if it's worth upgrading or not, and you have to check online.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
gently caress YES, got godskin duo first try solo with dual uchis. i was really dreading that fight

i’m not getting much endgame fatigue this time around, possibly because i know what’s going on and being properly leveled. all the areas are a blast

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

hey mom its 420 posted:

It's always been weird to me in souls games how you don't know what the scaling of the weapon will be when you upgrade it. So you often don't even know if it's worth upgrading or not, and you have to check online.

Yeah, there are some examples of weapons that are worth upgrading (depending on the build) that don't really "scale" great by letters but between base damage and the secret number/letter make for it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Honestly I think the upgrade system and stat requirements for weapons drag the game down quite a bit. It'd be good if you find a weapon and you can just try it out without having to upgrade it 25 times and respec your character.

Armour upgrades went away and nobody misses them at all.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gort posted:

Honestly I think the upgrade system and stat requirements for weapons drag the game down quite a bit. It'd be good if you find a weapon and you can just try it out without having to upgrade it 25 times and respec your character.

Armour upgrades went away and nobody misses them at all.

Yeah I'm not actually sure what weapon upgrades add at all to the game.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah I'm not actually sure what weapon upgrades add at all to the game.

it's a means of gating your power in a way you can somewhat bypass to certain limits if you skip around hunting materials. there's other ways it could be done but that's what its ostensibly for.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
the game needs lots of high value treasures to reward expiration, and smithing stones definitely fit the bill. i don’t mind it

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
They add another dimension of character progression which can be gated to guide progress / referenced in matchmaking calculations, which is certainly of debatable value, but more importantly they provide a couple varieties of goodies that can be scattered around to incentivize exploration and such.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Marika's hammer is really cool.

How cool are str fth builds?

Can I be golden Thor that's good and not a gimmick?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 16, 2022

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

Marika's hammer is really cool.

How cool are str fth builds?

Can I be golden Thor?

STR/FTH builds are cool. Like you make the doot cannon strong in swings AND while dooting (just an example). You can unga bunga, buff your bonk item and even cast some poo poo at range. My faith character (stopped at 60 FTH) had 34STR that let me wield a lot of weapons and greatshields so you could play a paladin themed build.

Marika's hammer isn't amazing but is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It seems like the bell bearings mark the point when you're supposed to reach a particular upgrade level and that they lag behind found/looted stones because that makes the found/looted stones more valuable. They're early access to a higher upgrade level. The problem is that this isn't fun for lots of people.