Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Can anyone assert that a single person has long Covid? Does it have a billable diagnosis code yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

Can anyone assert that a single person has long Covid? Does it have a billable diagnosis code yet?

An ICD-10 code for it was approved last October.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/icd/announcement-new-icd-code-for-post-covid-condition-april-2022-final.pdf

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

A Strange Aeon posted:

lol

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Baconroll posted:

The UK has just approved a new dual covid booster that targets Omicron and the original virus - Nice to see this sort of thing, and I can't wait to get it in my arm !

Frustratingly we're only making it available as a winter booster for people over 50 (plus anyone immunocompromised, though that criteria here is quite narrow compared to America).

49 and under get hosed :(

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

when they asked what condition we had that made us immunocompromised to qualify for the second booster we just said we were depressed. hell yeah :hehe:

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

flubber nuts posted:

when they asked what condition we had that made us immunocompromised to qualify for the second booster we just said we were depressed. hell yeah :hehe:

Nobody even asked me. But on that note it is currently knocking me on my rear end and the first 3 didn't really affect me at all.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

https://twitter.com/guttermuffen/status/1558904641131188225

HazCat
May 4, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

What?

You're either grossly misunderstanding or deliberately misrepresenting these reports, because asserting "the CDC admits most of the country has long covid" is utterly batshit.

I'm going to be charitable and assume the former, but I was tempted to probe this just as a warning against people doing the latter.

The CDC has officially said the main reason they aren't rolling out ACAM2000 shots is because it isn't suitable for an immunocompromised population.

People who've been following the 'covid causes temporary immune dysregulation' narrative are interpreting this as the CDC acknowledging that anyone who had covid in the last six months may have some degree of immune suppression.

What's much more likely is that the CDC is talking only about the GBMSM population and the members of that community that are immunocompromised due to AIDS.

It's not intentional disinformation, just the CDC being dogshit at public messaging as usual.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Someone on Twitter had that interpretation, and it spread like a mild and endemic disease because no one read the article.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
I'd like to just get the acam2000, almost all of my coworkers got it or older smallpox vaccines and they said it was fine and just kind of a nuisance to keep the pustule dry for two weeks

It seems like if so many people are immunocompromised now that's more reason to save Jynneos for them and give the rest of us the ol stick and poke

slurm fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 16, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

slurm posted:

I'd like to just get the acam2000, almost all of my coworkers got it or older smallpox vaccines and they said it was fine and just kind of a nuisance to keep the pustule dry for two weeks

Sorry, you’re not allowed to have that because it causes hospitalization and death at a truly frightening rate, four orders of magnitude less than monkeypox infections.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

Sorry, you’re not allowed to have that because it causes hospitalization and death at a truly frightening rate, four orders of magnitude less than monkeypox infections.
How about anus (butthole) lesions that make you scream so horribly that the neighbors call the cops to report a murder? Does ACAM2000 give you that, or is that experience only offered by nature’s vaccine?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zugzwang posted:

How about anus (butthole) lesions that make you scream so horribly that the neighbors call the cops to report a murder? Does ACAM2000 give you that, or is that experience only offered by nature’s vaccine?

Generalized vaccinia is a rare complication where viremia* allows pocks occur on other parts of the body, but even then, usually not many of them.

I can find one passing mention of vaccinia on the perineum in 1964.

*Zugwang knows this, but that’s virus spreading via the circulatory system.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

Generalized vaccinia is a rare complication where viremia* allows pocks occur on other parts of the body, but even then, usually not many of them.

Maybe Zugzwang was thinking about eczema vaccinatum. If someone developed that I'd be more surprised if it didn't cause butthole lesions. :ohdear:

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Charliegrs posted:

I can't wait for the US CDC to approve it just in time for funding to run out for vaccines.

Serious post: any info on US approving Moderna's Spikevax Bivalent Original/Omicron for this Fall Flu Season?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Maybe Zugzwang was thinking about eczema vaccinatum. If someone developed that I'd be more surprised if it didn't cause butthole lesions. :ohdear:
I’m so glad that this is a discussion we are having to have in the midst of an already-not-awesome pandemic. :coronatoot:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zugzwang posted:

I’m so glad that this is a discussion we are having to have in the midst of an already-not-awesome pandemic. :coronatoot:

If the Ghost of August Future had visited my past self, showing that I read Smallpox and its Eradication for practical purposes would be a pretty good stunt.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

HazCat posted:

The CDC has officially said the main reason they aren't rolling out ACAM2000 shots is because it isn't suitable for an immunocompromised population.

People who've been following the 'covid causes temporary immune dysregulation' narrative are interpreting this as the CDC acknowledging that anyone who had covid in the last six months may have some degree of immune suppression.

What's much more likely is that the CDC is talking only about the GBMSM population and the members of that community that are immunocompromised due to AIDS.

It's not intentional disinformation, just the CDC being dogshit at public messaging as usual.

Platystemon posted:

Someone on Twitter had that interpretation, and it spread like a mild and endemic disease because no one read the article.

Okay, if this bullshit crops up here please report it. I could see people getting confused by the medical use of the term "population," but at this point I have little to no patience with misinformation. Or stupidity.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
"Everyone has long covid" is certainly uninformed, but "I bet long covid doesn't even exist" is several steps more aggressively dumb

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

"Everyone has long covid" is certainly uninformed, but "I bet long covid doesn't even exist" is several steps more aggressively dumb

Yeah, and I don't plan to have tolerance for that, either. I responded up-thread with the ICD-10 code for long covid, and if there are denialists about its existence then I would advise they do not post in this thread.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
We've had several long covid sufferers posting ITT

One of my IRL buddies had covid a month ago and today was the first time since that they had the energy to leave the house and walk to the bus stop without needing a lie down afterwards

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, and I don't plan to have tolerance for that, either. I responded up-thread with the ICD-10 code for long covid, and if there are denialists about its existence then I would advise they do not post in this thread.

I hope my question didn't get interpreted as a denialist, I meant it more as trying to understand the actual numbers. If it has an icd10 code then it's likely doctors are diagnosing it and there should be a mechanism to see how prevalent it is.

I believe all the different codes that go through medical billing do get de-identified and shared in various reports for research purposes.

I would love to have a prepared statement on long Covid prevalence to share with anyone who asks me why I'm still wearing a mask.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Platystemon posted:

Isn't there some specific monkeypox thread?

I'd like to keep this the "making GBS threads on the CDC for loving up covid response" but you guys keep making it the "making GBS threads on the CDC for loving up" thread. :spergin:

Ninja edit: Seriously though, I'm not worried about Monkeypox right now and I don't think I need another disease to be obsessively doomscrolling about.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

I would love to have a prepared statement on long Covid prevalence to share with anyone who asks me why I'm still wearing a mask.

No one giving you poo poo about wearing a mask cares enough to listen to you talk about long covid.

If they're family, ignore them. If they're acquaintances that don't know your family, just lie and say you have a family member in chemotherapy. If they're strangers, just ignore them or grunt noncommittally.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

JYNNEOS is made in a single Bavarian Nordic facility in Denmark and their orders are understandably somewhat backed up right now so even though the US has ordered 150 million additional shots they'll be slooowly trickling in throughout the rest of this year and throughout 2023. Here in Australia we only just got our first JYNNEOS shipment of a couple thousand doses last week and our total order won't even be enough to vaxx 1% of our population, looks like I'm poo poo out of luck.

Aus has an order for 450k doses which is more than anywhere else in the world other than the states.

The situation is actually grimmer than just the one facility being available to make it. The bulk fluid product facility is actually shut right now through to the end of 2022 so BV can add new lines (of other products lol) and the 'new vaccine' is just existing bulk fluid getting fill and finished. There are approximately 15 million doses worth in existence including what has been already distributed, total, and no more will be made till 2023. The US already owns 90%+ of the existing stock so good luck to everyone else

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Saros posted:

Aus has an order for 450k doses which is more than anywhere else in the world other than the states.

The situation is actually grimmer than just the one facility being available to make it. The bulk fluid product facility is actually shut right now through to the end of 2022 so BV can add new lines (of other products lol) and the 'new vaccine' is just existing bulk fluid getting fill and finished. There are approximately 15 million doses worth in existence including what has been already distributed, total, and no more will be made till 2023. The US already owns 90%+ of the existing stock so good luck to everyone else

The really hilarious part is that not too long ago the US had a stockpile of 28 million doses of JYNNEOS but they let them expire and when the monkeypox outbreak started they only had 2,400 doses on hand
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/01/nyregion/monkeypox-vaccine-jynneos-us.html

Big oops

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

A Strange Aeon posted:

I just snort, roll my eyes, and ask accusingly, "You actually trust the Democrats?"

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My brother just called me about having Covid with his family. Interesting since we saw each other last night. Quarantining or smoking some buds?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I posted earlier about one of my friends talking about their post covid problems and that prompted some other people to talk about their similar circumstances, including some mutual friends who as far as I know hadn't said anything about that before. One of them mentioned she'd been super tired ever since she'd recovered from covid and on her doctor's suggestion had started checking her oxygen levels with an oximeter again and found that even after just a short walk her oxygen levels were dropping way down.

One of the weird things about long covid is that a lot of people just don't talk about it so it's really hard to get a sense of how widespread it is

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Zeluth posted:

My brother just called me about having Covid with his family. Interesting since we saw each other last night. Quarantining or smoking some buds?

I smoked buds throughout my covid and I have 100% confidence that it kept me from getting a severe infection

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Day 2 or waiting for my antibody test to see if the illness I had a few weeks ago was actually covid.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Jill Biden has COVID now

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

YeahTubaMike posted:

Jill Biden has COVID now

Had Joe already stopped quarantining?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zeluth posted:

Quarantining or smoking some buds?

both tbh. monopolize your ace2 receptors

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

YeahTubaMike posted:

Jill Biden has COVID now

drat...is she considered a close contact to the president?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wrex Ruckus posted:

drat...is she considered a close contact to the president?

Not sure this presidency has a Melania and Donald situation going on

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Saros posted:

The situation is actually grimmer than just the one facility being available to make it.

What’s grim is that no one is doing anything other than placing orders with Bavarian Nordic for delivery in 2023 or beyond.

The U.S. and certain other cold warriors have stocks of first and second generation vaccines that they can break out. Everyone else ought to be treating independent sourcing as a matter of national security.

It’s whole virus that replicates in chicken cells. If you can make flu vaccines, you can make generic Jynneos. The virus itself dates to the nineteen seventies and is known as “MVA”. I’m not saying that there won’t be teething issues, but the time to start working them out is now.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
I tried to google how long you are immune after having covid, but I saw numbers as low as 3 months all the way up to a full year. I know multiple people who have had it more than once, and I want to avoid the hell out of that. Do we just not know, or is there a lot of misinformation floating around?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Wile E. Toyota posted:

I tried to google how long you are immune after having covid, but I saw numbers as low as 3 months all the way up to a full year. I know multiple people who have had it more than once, and I want to avoid the hell out of that. Do we just not know, or is there a lot of misinformation floating around?

Anecdotally I know someone catching the current variant a month apart. Catching it now provides very little immunity compared to the initial variants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

they actually confirmed it was the same variant one month apart? and sure it wasn’t a rebound of the same case?