Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
In the old lore the five colors of mana were discovered between Antiquities and The Dark by various mage groups doing magic science. Lat-Nam knew about it, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Apparently there are people who watch Brian Kibler work out in his garage on Twitch lol.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Squee!

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/death-and-salvation-2022-08-16?sad

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

And in art suggesting he's getting a card!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hell yeah King Squee.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Looks like we're getting a modern horizons elemental incarnation in this set? Although I don't know how much story stuff affects cardboard.

Salvation seems like a white elemental incarnation, right?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

A new Incarnation cycle would be cool, the OG type that give abilities from the graveyard. Maybe Salvation would work like Luminous Broodmoth, giving a resurrection counter or something that exiles the creature when it dies a second time.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mcmagic posted:

Apparently there are people who watch Brian Kibler work out in his garage on Twitch lol.

Ya he started doing that when covid hit the fan, better content than his hearthstone streams!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I put on a tournament with Kibler and Ben Stark and holy poo poo I turned it off after maybe ten minutes of them constantly shuffling and adjusting and fidgeting their cards in hand, just literally nonstop

Motherfuckers you know what's in your hands!! Stop flicking and shuffling your TWO CARD HAND

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Welcome back paper magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN-zYxwIimE

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

fadam posted:

In the magic lore do people know about the five colours of magic?

There's discussion about it, depending on which author and novel and plane...

For example,

The Thran by J Robert King posted:

"There is a similar theory about magic these days," said a young man. Xod was a healer in the traditional sense, trained to apply arcane power to mundane diseases. He was precocious, talkative, and – to Yawgmoth's mind – blithely wrong. "A few folk are saying you can separate magic energy into its components, each performing a different function. It's like one of these little bits of rainbow floating around the room – red. green, blue... They say mana is made up of colors, some for healing, some for destroying."

"What does any of that have to do with this disease?" Yawgmoth asked testily. "You've seen how magical healing only accelerates the phthisis."

Xod's shoulders slumped. "Just a comparison. I mean nobody really believes magic has colors. It's just a wild theory. You were talking about how the phthisis has different effects on different tissues, and I was thinking how they say the different colors have different effects and are blocked by different things."

"Would you shut up about - " Yawgmoth began. His scalpel quivered in his hand, flayed skin adhering to it. A new light entered his eyes. "What was that about being blocked?"

Shrugging sheepishly, the man said, "Just more crackpot ideas."

The Gathering Dark by Jeff Grubb posted:

“I don’t have the key,” he said. “I don’t know . . . I mean I can’t . . .” he stammered.

The woman sighed impatiently. “Of course you can. I can’t, because they are welded onto me. If I try, the feedback will overwhelm me. You can. Just open them with a spell .” Jodah looked at the manacles carefully now. They had a thin joining line along one side but no sign of a lock or catch. “I
don’t know how,” said Jodah in a small voice. “I don’t know that spell.”

“So make it up!” hissed the woman. “What’s your color?”

Jodah looked at the manacled woman with disbelief. "My what?”

“Your color!” the woman strove to keep her words to a whisper, but it seemed a losing battle. “I don’t believe that Voska never . . . Okay, we’ll take it from the beginning. What spells do you know?”

“I can make bright light appear,” he said. “Bright, hot light.”

“And I take it that’s what got you away from the primata in the first place,” said the woman. “Apparently that put a real wrinkle in her wimple. What else?”

“I can make potions, with the right material,” he continued, then spread his hands out wide. “You know that as well. I haven’t been doing this very long.”

“I can see that,” said the woman, with a bit of ice in her voice.

Jodah looked in her eyes and thought he saw gears turning as she strove to figure out what to do next. At length she said, “When you cast a spell, what do you think of?”

“Think of?” said Jodah, then realized what she was saying. “I think of my home, where I grew up, in Giva.”

“Mountain, plains, seacoast?” prompted the woman. “There were mountains in the distance,” said Jodah, “but it was mostly farmland. Orchards. Vineyards. Gardens.”

“Plains, then,” said the woman. “That fits with the curative magic and the light balls. All right, here’s what we can do. I want you to pull out the magic of your land. You know how to do that?”

Jodah nodded, and closed his eyes. He was back in Giva, back at the family manse. Slowly he pulled the energies from those memories and shaped them into a glowing white ball in his mind. “Good,” said the woman, “what are you envisioning?”

“I am thinking of a white ball of light.” said Jodah.

“That ball is the mana, the magical energy,” said the woman. “Now I want you to keep thinking of that ball and open your eyes.” Jodah did so.

“Now I’m going to tell you how to shape that mana, I can’t be a hundred percent accurate, because it can’t really be put into words.”

“Like writing down a dance,” said Jodah, feeling a fresh twinge of regret for Voska.

The woman almost smiled. Almost. “Close enough. Now I want you to shape the ball into a disk.

Flatten the poles, and imagine the edge of the disk is so narrow that it can easily fit into the seam of these manacles. Can you do that?”

“I can try,” said Jodah, flattening the ball in his mind. Then he asked, “Have you ever done this before? ”

“Made a spell on the fly?” asked the woman. “Yes. One time I had to do it for another mage who had his hands trapped like mine.”

“Did it work?” said Jodah, the disk of mana was a spinning vortex, and he imagined it moving toward the manacles.

“Sort of ,” said the woman. “He casts spells one handed now. Easy! Just let the disk slide into the joint and move along the length of the manacles. Yes, that’s it . . . ”

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Lol @ Ertai refusing to hang dong

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Lol @ Ertai refusing to hang dong

Now don't be so vague, speak up!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Johnny Truant posted:

I put on a tournament with Kibler and Ben Stark and holy poo poo I turned it off after maybe ten minutes of them constantly shuffling and adjusting and fidgeting their cards in hand, just literally nonstop

Motherfuckers you know what's in your hands!! Stop flicking and shuffling your TWO CARD HAND

It's optimal to shuffle your hand like this because people go on ultra tilt for some inexplicable reason.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Toph Bei Fong posted:

For example,

I recall reading the anthology book the colors of magic like 20 years ago, that was basically about a bunch of various stories about dealing with a color of magic with one story in about Feldon whose wife died so he travelled the world to figure out how to bring her back by learning from mages of each color.

Oh hey, it's online actually: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/lorans-smile-2014-10-27

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Johnny Truant posted:

Lone Goat posted:

It's optimal to shuffle your hand like this because people go on ultra tilt for some inexplicable reason.

In my experience 4c control players do that the most and it drives me crazy

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Print Stop That into Eternal formats

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The Ice Age/Jodah trilogy goes into the most detail about how magic works, including summoning creatures. Not sure how canon it all is now though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

It’s also funny because people who emulate this behavior are often a little too serious about mtg. They also HATE you pointing out they are imitating pros and will go out their way to elaborate how they have always done this and it’s not monkey see monkey do.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

For example,

The first one is okay but the second one is way too loving hamfisted lol

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sickening posted:

It’s also funny because people who emulate this behavior are often a little too serious about mtg. They also HATE you pointing out they are imitating pros and will go out their way to elaborate how they have always done this and it’s not monkey see monkey do.

i've never played paper magic in my life and i think you're really off-base if you think 'people fidgeting with cards' is something people both intentionally do and only do because they see pro players do it

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

flatluigi posted:

i've never played paper magic in my life and i think you're really off-base if you think 'people fidgeting with cards' is something people both intentionally do and only do because they see pro players do it

Case in point. :smugdon:

"Fidgeting" could mean many things, but this hand shuffling similar to Kibler from that youtube video is without a doubt mimicked/learned behavior OP.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Without a doubt huh, who knew we had a behavioral therapist posting here

Oh wait no youre a computer toucher talking out your rear end, nevermind

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sickening posted:

Case in point. :smugdon:

"Fidgeting" could mean many things, but this hand shuffling similar to Kibler from that youtube video is without a doubt mimicked/learned behavior OP.

i literally said i've never played paper magic so you couldn't go 'see they're just being defensive of their own actions' but thanks for the trump emote i guess

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Without a doubt huh, who knew we had a behavioral therapist posting here

Oh wait no youre a computer toucher talking out your rear end, nevermind

Chip shuffling in poker is the same phenomenon and yet people there aren't as defensive about it.

I have no idea why it sparks this kind of reaction, but it will never not be funny to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrPr8fDgkyI

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

MtG players, who tend to skew autistic, stim with their cards sometimes? Why I never!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

This story loving rules

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sickening posted:

Chip shuffling in poker is the same phenomenon and yet people there aren't as defensive about it.

I have no idea why it sparks this kind of reaction, but it will never not be funny to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrPr8fDgkyI

i've also never played poker and i think you just get weird about people telling you that you're wrong

not everything you find annoying is done on purpose to bother you specifically

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sickening posted:

I've never seen anyone accuse chip shufflers as just imitating pros. It's so common that it's just something people do to pass the time. Someone trying to soul read you for 30 seconds in a 1/2 game while in full hoodie and sunglasses outfit on the other hand...

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Everything I do in my day-to-day life I learned from careful study of the '98 Pro Tour.

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD

Sickening posted:

It might be more that they hate only existing in your head as a miserable pile of assumptions instead of as an actual person with their own unique quirks, experiences, and self concept.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

lmfao ertai lookin chad

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

whiggles posted:

It might be more that they hate only existing in your head as a miserable pile of assumptions instead of as an actual person with their own unique quirks, experiences, and self concept.

Probably still miserable though.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqTOfSgXfZo

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Skyl3lazer posted:

lmfao ertai lookin chad

Ertai posted:

"Actually, Squee, even in our perfect forms we still elect to wear our clothing—"

not much of a 'chad' if he won't let others behold his blessed perfection

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

whiggles posted:

Its not a binary choice. Nobody is limited to having a unique self identity or choosing to kibler shuffle.

odiv posted:

I've never seen anyone accuse chip shufflers as just imitating pros. It's so common that it's just something people do to pass the time. Someone trying to soul read you for 30 seconds in a 1/2 game while in full hoodie and sunglasses outfit on the other hand...

The full hoodie/glasses/soul read person is a great example and probably more to the point then the chip shuffling. Its both annoying and sometimes hilarious when someone takes 5 minutes to stare at you over a 9 dollar pot. Lets move along Phil Ivey. :)

flatluigi posted:

i've also never played poker and i think you just get weird about people telling you that you're wrong

not everything you find annoying is done on purpose to bother you specifically

You are wrong! I kibler shuffled at birth.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
so how many times have you actually accused people of Kibler Shuffling in the past

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

odiv posted:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don’t have the physical dexterity to flick my cards around (and I like to test my brain to see if I can remember my hand when I leave it face down on a table lol) but a lot of people I play with do. I don’t really care if someone does it because they like it or because they’re copying pros. If someone brings actual tokens for their tokens, doesn’t use dice for life totals, and doesn’t put man lands at the back of their land piles I don’t really care what they do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Sickening posted:

The full hoodie/glasses/soul read person is a great example and probably more to the point then the chip shuffling. Its both annoying and sometimes hilarious when someone takes 5 minutes to stare at you over a 9 dollar pot. Lets move along Phil Ivey. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf0IcYY_O28