Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I've never used a defensive stack because I build the garrison building everywhere, and garrisons are good enough 99 times out of 100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

neonchameleon posted:

You're forgetting Renowned & Feared at the end of the blue line. More importantly a lot depends on whether you have other sources of upkeep reduction such as tech or shipbuilding. 15% is three units in a 20 stack - but if you have another 50% upkeep reduction from something then it becomes six units free in a 20 stack.

A lot depends on army composition. If I've a mixed army that uses two red line skills then it's worth spending the red line dot early to enable yourself to take the good Stand Your Ground and then upgrade it for a serious buff. But if e.g. you're running 90% State Troops it's not worth spending the second three dots in red this early.

yeah I think the take away is that you should really consider what you need early and not just auto pick options. sometimes I want the upkeep reduction for tier 3 troops asap. other times I know it's going to be a slog to get to tier 3, e.g. constant fighting to hold my initial province, that I'll be keeping lower tier troops for longer. then heavy red line it is

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

for some reason, I get FOMO real bad with LLs so I have a mod that gives me more skillpoints so I can safely invest in "suboptimal" skills

even without that mod, tho, I still invest pretty heavily in blue skills cause I dont usually have problems winning fights with my main LL stack, even if the troops arent buffed yet. I also hate investing in red skills for troops that I know Im gonna replace down the line. Dont want a LL with skill points invested into literally useless skills for the stack. Besides, getting upkeep reduction early can save you hundreds of thousands of gold over a campaign

Yellow skills own tho, and are basically never wasted

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I've never used a defensive stack because I build the garrison building everywhere, and garrisons are good enough 99 times out of 100.

I'll hire a lord to help defend because I want to get some early levels on them and if I hire and fire the next turn it doesn't cost very much. even less if you've hired them previously

it helps to put on those bonus to province income attachments

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

my ll stacks tend to actually have the worst units since im too lazy to move them to a different stack

[ask] me about doing the final v coast battle with sartosa militia

I feel like the problem is moreso that I wish Aranessa's entire faction did more to support mortal armies. She personally buffs the poo poo out of them, but there is functionally no other support for then in the tech tree or for other lesser lords. I wish she was like half VCoast and half Dogs Of War. She has Maneater access in game 3, but that still doesn't really solve the problem of minimal troop support for the units.

If they do ever do a dogs of war faction, I hope she gets reworked into a full dogs/coast hybrid with technology and magic and lord level support for both sides. Give her like dwarf freebooters with shotguns, dark elven corsairs, ogre butchers, and the like to go along with the press ganged zombies and vampires. Give them a real "motley crew scrapped together" feeling.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: On another topic, are the bonus units listed on the LL selection their entire starting army or are those bonus units?
They're not bonus units, they're all of the units in the lord's any at start. It shows the unit types but not quantity. For example Karl Franz has 2 Handgunners.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

SirPhoebos posted:

I've seen a couple of Tarriff videos joking about Aspiring Champions "upgrading" into Chaos Spawn. I wonder if the intent (which isn't implimented yet due to bugs) is for this to be how you recruit Exalted Heroes - The Chaos Gods pick one of of the Aspiring Champs to become an actual Champion, and the rest are made into Spawn because the gods are dicks.

Because otherwise I don't see when you would ever use that option.

EDIT: On another topic, are the bonus units listed on the LL selection their entire starting army or are those bonus units?

Pretty sure the spawn thing is just a flavorful, lore-accurate meme inclusion :v:

re: starting armies: It doesn't display duplicate units, so it's just the unit types contained in the army.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
they should let you promote aspiring champions to spawn, mid battle

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

My hope is that someday corruption, attrition, and public order become important mechanics that the AI can handle enough that the player can actually use them as a tool against the AI.

Remove Attrition altogether, the AI can't handle it. (and it's no fun to deal with, and it's no fun to watch the AI suicide its armies)

Change it with Bonuses for whoever is causing it(corruption/siege whatever)
Like, Nurgle armies gets bonuses on land possess with Nurgle corruption, better healing/melee defense or something.
Give melee attack and leadership bonuses to the besieger.

And change crumbling with -100% armor and melee defense, so i can beat the hell out of those zombies and daemons, instead they get to sneak away the cowardly way.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Now that you can move in encamp stance what is the justification for ai not being able to deal with attrition? Just force them to move slower in hostile terrain. You get more land battles as an added bonus since you can finally catch their armies.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Turin with some details on upcoming quick VC nerfs (from having talked with CA), Ghorst's cart getting a big price hike, skeletons getting expendable trait.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Randarkman posted:

Turin with some details on upcoming quick VC nerfs (from having talked with CA), Ghorst's cart getting a big price hike, skeletons getting expendable trait.

Hell yeah. That's actuality a buff in single player! I've lost more fights due to army losses from my chaff being destroyed while Vlad and Isabella are killing the enemy army than through any other means.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

With IE out next week o think I’ll finally get this. I have 1/2 and virtually every DLC so I kind of have to buy this.

Did they alter the regular campaign and Realms of Chaos? I heard they were pretty unfunny at release, but it sounds like they have fixed a lot since then.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

Hell yeah. That's actuality a buff in single player! I've lost more fights due to army losses from my chaff being destroyed while Vlad and Isabella are killing the enemy army than through any other means.

Expendable units don't inflict morale penalties to surrounding units when routing. I don't think it does anything for undead or affects the army losses penalty threshold.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

With IE out next week o think I’ll finally get this. I have 1/2 and virtually every DLC so I kind of have to buy this.

Did they alter the regular campaign and Realms of Chaos? I heard they were pretty unfunny at release, but it sounds like they have fixed a lot since then.

Realms of Chaos is the game 3 main campaign. There have been three patches that seem to have significantly dealt with issues folks had. For what it's worth, I completed two campaigns at launch and then played 50-75 turns of at least 6-7 more before losing interest. I honestly found the campaign mechanics even on the 1.0 version more interesting than the Vortex race in 2, but obviously much harder to ignore if you wanted to do your own thing.

Of note, the four new chaos LLs will be on the RoC map but have their own campaign objective and not participate in the Ursun/Rifts narrative.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

They have improved them a LOT, although the fundamentals are still the same. Periodically (like 30 turns, idk exactly) portals will open up and start spreading corruption, and eventually rogue armies, before auto-closing after 15 turns. You enter them with your LL to go to one of four demon domains, putz around for a few turns, and then have a big climactic "domination" battle where you can build towers and summon reinforcements against several waves of enemies. After doing all four, you get to do a fifth against the campaign's final boss. You can also use those portals to teleport around the map.

A lot of improvements have been made:

- Building the anti-corruption building under the defence line will stop portals from spawning in that province, so you won't have loads of demon armies sacking your backfield
- You can auto-resolve four of the five big boss battles, which many people found utterly miserable to actually fight
- The realms were made somewhat easier - Tzeentch's in particular was very tough for dumb RNG reasons that were reduced
- The realms used to give your lord awful debuffs (because chaos corruption) that you had to remove by waiting multiple turns in a capital city; these are now automatically removed when you leave the realm
- If the AI beats you in the race, I believe you get an option to summon to their location, beat them up, and make them start all over from the beginning
- When you win, you can get a big demon lord - and before, that was it. Now, you can instead banish the demon lord and get some big faction buffs, in case you're, you know, Kislev or Cathay who have zero reason to want a demon on their side

Some of the challenges are still there. It makes all of your non-LL armies feel almost meaningless, since only the LL can actually forward the campaign objective. And, honestly, the story of the campaigns is absolutely trash. Without getting into the details, the entire premise makes zero sense and while Kislev gets a satisfying conclusion, most of the others are pretty much wet farts, especially Cathay.

e: TLDR, most of the ways they "improved" the campaign were by removing elements or making them easier to ignore, so ymmv.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 16, 2022

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The introductory campaign's always been good once.

The Realms of Chaos campaign is also now good ... once. The first time you play it the Realms of Chaos are new, interesting, and very evocative with some cool mechanics with the main problem being that minor settlement garrisons are overtuned. The second time you play it the portals and the Realms are no longer new or interesting and you've seen everything there is to see from them and because of this they are just an annoying and tedious gimmick whose twists you've already seen.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

Now that you can move in encamp stance what is the justification for ai not being able to deal with attrition? Just force them to move slower in hostile terrain. You get more land battles as an added bonus since you can finally catch their armies.
The AI does, often, even if the attrition is minor. I would rather have the choice than be forced to move more slowly under "attrition"

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

SirPhoebos posted:

I've seen a couple of Tarriff videos joking about Aspiring Champions "upgrading" into Chaos Spawn. I wonder if the intent (which isn't implimented yet due to bugs) is for this to be how you recruit Exalted Heroes - The Chaos Gods pick one of of the Aspiring Champs to become an actual Champion, and the rest are made into Spawn because the gods are dicks.

Because otherwise I don't see when you would ever use that option.

I would love if this was the only way to recruit exhalted heroes. No caps, but you have to level a unit up all the way to aspiring champions then decide whether to keep them or spawn them to gain a hero

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I should add, the realm debuff only clears automatically If you win. If you go to a realm and get beat to the objective or get smoked by another lord you still have that debuff to clear.

I wouldn't say that the realms de-emphasize your main lord, because while the LL is away you still have to deal with whatever is going on at home. I typically find the portals wind up hitting at deeply inconvenient time. (like when my Ice Court run was trying to finish off Sylvania while Kugath was pushing in from the other direction and I'm suddenly down my strongest army) this becomes a bigger deal for realms that take a while to navigate (hi tzeench / Slaanesh) because of you don't have access to a lot of campaign move range you can wind up spending like 8-10 turns loving about plus how ever long to replenish losses after you return.

I wound up playing like 2 of the realm bosses as Kislev and hard Noped out of the rest.

The other main problem is that while you can build the anti skaven building to stop backfield portals, any diplomatic allies you may have are completely incapable of dealing with the portal mechanic. Other races anti skaven building explicitly do not stop portals, and the corruption and rogue armies damage your allies do consistently that they basically cannot help you with anything. So you either have to have secondary armies on standby to help push the portals off, or you gotta have a Cadre of agents traveling wide like a bunch of fussy mothers dressing their toddlers.

My one complaint outside of the immediate campaign is that currently the rosters feel extremely incomplete, to the degree of core game 2 skaven before they got all their love. Ogres are the only one that feel core complete in their roster pre-dlc and aren't missing any glaring huge gaps. Next week's pack should pretty much completely resolve the issues for the chaos factions, but Cathay and Kislev are probably going to be pretty anemic for another few months. At least they can bolster themselves with alliance units to help things along.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I decided to play one last Realm of Chaos campaign as Greasus before IE next week.

Still can't loving vibe with the meat mechanic. Hate having to stand around doing nothing while accumulating meat. How is this poo poo even going to work in IE where the map is vastly larger? Not gonna have enough camps! Ogres are supposed to be nomadic, let me move the camps CA!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

The AI does, often, even if the attrition is minor. I would rather have the choice than be forced to move more slowly under "attrition"

I meant force the ai, not the player. Why can't the ai deal with attrition?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Aggressively harvest meat at first and don't be afraid to slam camps down as you get them, I think you can move/disband them(or let them die, hah) and you get so many that my Greasus campaign comfortably didn't even use all I got.

There's a +meat building from the camp and the radius is huge so your first 1-2 want to be on the borders of your territory as you start your first fights. Meat should be auto-pilot except on new armies pretty fast. Might also be a +meat in settlements, memory is foggy(Greasus was my second real campaign) but you can throw it up, stockpile meat and then break it down cause I think it reduces your income.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

You get plenty of camps so just use one or two as your mobile camps you tear down and move. These won’t get to a high level but your armies won’t have to worry about meat.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
I have a technical question about TW:Warhammer 2.

I have a small SSD, on which I had Windows and WH2 and not much else. There was like 30 gb of free space. Recently the game got an update and true to the form, updating it would have required enormous amounts of free space that I don't have. So I chose to uninstall and re-install.

Except I can't. After uninstalling the 80 gb game (and including the free space I had) my SSD shows a total of 50 gb free space.

What is going on? I literally just removed the game. Nothing could have gotten in there. Are the failed update files taking space somewhere?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Valiantman posted:

I have a small SSD, on which I had Windows and WH2 and not much else. There was like 30 gb of free space. Recently the game got an update and true to the form, updating it would have required enormous amounts of free space that I don't have. So I chose to uninstall and re-install.

Except I can't. After uninstalling the 80 gb game (and including the free space I had) my SSD shows a total of 50 gb free space.

What is going on? I literally just removed the game. Nothing could have gotten in there. Are the failed update files taking space somewhere?

I don't know the specific answer to your question, but I recommend something like WizTree to know exactly how your hard drive space is allocated.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Valiantman posted:

I use windirstat to see what's taking up space.
Is it possible the savegames are huge?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I always use Wiztree and it’s my go-to, no doubt

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I beeline maximum upkeep reduction on basically every lord because it means being able to support more armies and better units, which dramatically increases my ability to solidify my economy and take and hold more land and snowball faster. Caster LLs are usually the only exception - I'll go for whatever their workhorse spells that allow them to make a big impact in combat first(after route marcher), so stuff like pink fire/infernal gate on Kairos or talons on Miao before pivoting hard into blue.

I'll start going red when I have everything relevant from blue/spells/the hero's uniques because that's around the time that rank 7 units start becoming a thing, and I'll go yellow pretty much never because it has the smallest overall impact on the campaign and most combat LLs are already unstoppable wood chippers against anything other than another combat LL anyway(and it's better to kill those with gunfire or gooning them with multiple heroes/monsters).

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I've probably seen the answer to this, but can't remember, but do Valkia and Azazel crumble or do they rout? Being that of the 4, they are daemon princes, as far as I'm aware.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Watching a LP right now of Valkia and one of her unique skills give her demonic and I assume crumbling with that.

Edit: At the 13:30 mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMgPY9GPEUE&t=810s

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The fact that Valkia needs to ascend to true daemonhood during her campaign is very strange. The hell do you call what she is now? Chosen don’t look like that. She’s already a Daemon Princess.

Very weird.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

The fact that Valkia needs to ascend to true daemonhood during her campaign is very strange. The hell do you call what she is now? Chosen don’t look like that. She’s already a Daemon Princess.

Very weird.

She’s just a human that Khorne has granted a lot of blessings to. She’s his favorite so she gets all the best mutations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Something something immortal potential of the human soul.

Daemonhood is a capital t Thing where you have to make an enormous impression upon the Chaos Gods and get one of them to raise and exalt you to a new state of being. Anything prior is various degrees of blessing and mutations, even if it gets you really close to unstoppable near-immortal monster. It's usually the plot of a big story or game or two in Fantasy or 40k that a chaos figure has really made it when one of their gods stops stringing them along and gives them the real deal Demon Prince ascension.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah, usually it takes an incredibly long time for the gods to actually go "you know what, you earned it" and give someone the final gift because once a mortal ascends to daemonhood and becomes truly immortal they stop being a fun and entertaining show and start being yet another immortal servant. The prospect that a powerful champion juiced up on gifts might fail horrendously and die after all the hard work and slaughter they put in is endlessly entertaining to them.

The chaos gods and how they go about things make a lot more sense when you realize that they're all just incredibly loving bored.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
On the tabletop Valkia was a bit weird because she's repeatedly referred to as a daemon. But she's not daemonic. :shrug:
If I recall right, her statline sat in-between a Chaos Lord and a Daemon Prince. So you could say she was on her way to full daemonhood.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A random kind of thing that popped into my mind as I was watching a bit of a Karl Franz campaign stream and it was mentioned how they seem to have forgot about the new reinforcement delays thing for the various event battles you can get as the Empire and how they need to fix that. I hope, that in addition to fixing that, that they also make those battles a bit less throwaway and matter a bit more, because as long as you win (which you'll basically always do with the autoresolve, but now might not having to wait 2 minutes to appear while the AI flails about) it doesnt really matter hwat happens to your preset out of nowhere lovely detachment and random non-existent lord. They just disappear back into the ether after the battle.

So instead what would be cool would be if they brought back say the Reiksmarshal title (or any kind of thing you can assign to one of your lords) and that you need to have a lord with that title around in order to choose the option where you send that detachment, but instead of just being temporary units that disappear and don't matter, what you send is that lord and units from their army, paying a deployment cost for each you bring. They get damaged or wiped out in the battle that sticks around, but you'll also get experience and such on the lord assigned to this office. I dunno, feels like that would be a major improvement to me.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I think Azazel might also have a skill to make him demonic when he is explicitly a daemon price so it seems more like a gameplay decision than anything else.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Very weird.

She's known as a Daemon Princess but has never (except arguably at the very end of her Black Library book) actually been demonic. She's always been a mortal in the WoC book with rules that make her a mortal. She's a heavily mutated Champion with Khorne's favour which is exactly what she was on the tabletop. As far as almost any of the inhabitants of the Old World are concerned she might as well be a demon but that doesn't make her one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Randarkman posted:

A random kind of thing that popped into my mind as I was watching a bit of a Karl Franz campaign stream and it was mentioned how they seem to have forgot about the new reinforcement delays thing for the various event battles you can get as the Empire and how they need to fix that. I hope, that in addition to fixing that, that they also make those battles a bit less throwaway and matter a bit more, because as long as you win (which you'll basically always do with the autoresolve, but now might not having to wait 2 minutes to appear while the AI flails about) it doesnt really matter hwat happens to your preset out of nowhere lovely detachment and random non-existent lord. They just disappear back into the ether after the battle.

So instead what would be cool would be if they brought back say the Reiksmarshal title (or any kind of thing you can assign to one of your lords) and that you need to have a lord with that title around in order to choose the option where you send that detachment, but instead of just being temporary units that disappear and don't matter, what you send is that lord and units from their army, paying a deployment cost for each you bring. They get damaged or wiped out in the battle that sticks around, but you'll also get experience and such on the lord assigned to this office. I dunno, feels like that would be a major improvement to me.

This is a really cool idea. A Reiksmarshall that works kinda like Cathay Caravans, but instead of being eaten by Ogres and getting really powerful items you can send it to protect Empire Minor settlements when they're attacked.