Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone put in a Mr Cool diy; and how stupid am I for even entertaining it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

devicenull posted:

Good for you! And good that the builder is coming back after 8 years to fix this!

Yeah got a call from the insulation company who will come this friday.

I was nervous and in a hurry last week. I was worried maybe they'd be assholes about this and try and stiff me so I was thinking I had a long fight ahead of me. So I went bought a bunch of insulation last week (just 100 euros worth) for the pipes and wrapped them with an extra 100mm of fiberglass insulation, just incase. So I will have that 100mm of insulation around the pipes + blown in insulation on top. Should be really well insulated now. Winter's gonna be interesting...

I already did some measurements and this morning it was 7C outside, checked the temps for outgoing and ingoing air post heat exchanger and it's 89% efficient now, what a jump from 60%

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just reinstalled my window A/C and I did it ALL BY MYSELF! :smug:

And it only took me three trips to Home Depot.

Do I need to worry about caulking the gaps between the A/C and the window to prevent air leakage? Or is that major overkill? Right now it seems to be cooling pretty well — better than it did before, in fact.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 11, 2022

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Dont use caulk for that, use foam tape. Way easier to replace or remove.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

I just reinstalled my window A/C and I did it ALL BY MYSELF! :smug:

And it only took me three trips to Home Depot.

Do I need to worry about caulking the gaps between the A/C and the window to prevent air leakage? Or is that major overkill? Right now it seems to be cooling pretty well — better than it did before, in fact.

Three rounds down to one :toot:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

freeasinbeer posted:

Has anyone put in a Mr Cool diy; and how stupid am I for even entertaining it.

I did, it was fine. I used the Southwire calculator to determine the gauge wire I needed for a sub panel, but it'll work for just a wiring connection, just use the right amperage. I watched a bunch of videos, it was fairly straightforward, though the extra coils of lineset look a little goofy. I think my posts are in the electrical thread?

I put it in the garage, it keeps it at 60 in the winter and 80 in the summer. It works a lot better after I insulated the garage ceiling.

Any specific questions? I think I was all in around $2200, with the unit being ~$1500. I got lucky with finding a bundle of 6ga wire cheap, and I put in a sub panel.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

MRC48B posted:

Dont use caulk for that, use foam tape. Way easier to replace or remove.

Should I cover the curtain guide area with foam too? The A/C came with some when I first bought it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Any gaps to outside need to be sealed with foam tape.

FWIW my window unit also came with (adhesive-backed) foam board that goes over the slide out sides.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I just moved into a new house with all electric baseboards in every room. They are mostly original 1938, and have been painted white.
I have taken them off to paint the walls, and feel I should replace them, mostly because they are ugly from being painted.

Is there any kind of improvements for baseboards? They are just resistors, so it doesn't seem that anything other than the cheapest/whatever looks find at home depot would be better.
Searching on the internet seems to say that hydronic ones are better/more efficient, but I havent figured out how adding mass to the resistor makes it more efficient. I guess the idea is that the energy stays in the oil instead of venting out of the room?

I realize that best course of action is probably just screw the old ones back onto the wall, so that might happen in some of the rooms.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

blindjoe posted:

I havent figured out how adding mass to the resistor makes it more efficient. I guess the idea is that the energy stays in the oil instead of venting out of the room?
Adding mass does nothing for efficiency, the laws of physics being what they are. It does makes the heat delivery smoother and more pleasant. A non-oil filled resistive radiator tends to make the temperature go noticeably up and down as the thermostat turns it on and off. Commonly there's ticking noises involved when metal expands and contracts as they rapidly heat up and cool off. Oil filled ones have none of that which is why they are better.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Relevant Technology Connections video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-jmSjy2ArM

The tl;dw version is simply that for resistive heaters, wattage is all that matters. The amount of power they take in is the amount of heat they put out.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
That channel is delightful, thanks for sharing.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
So that's what it used to look like:

And after last night (promised last friday but there were problems with the blower)

Now that's looking more like what it should. Will be interesting once winter's here...

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

His Divine Shadow posted:

So that's what it used to look like:

And after last night (promised last friday but there were problems with the blower)

Now that's looking more like what it should. Will be interesting once winter's here...

So a question from someone with no clue about attics.

Is it bad that all the joists and ductwork are completely covered now? What happens if work needs done up there?

We’ve got one of our ac units in the attic but otherwise it looks like your first picture. The insulation is old and this will be our first winter, so I have no idea how good the insulation still is. However, I’d be hesitant to put blown insulation in my attic just because the AC unit is up there and I’m not sure how that would affect maintenance, etc.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

You'd have to dig it away basically in order to get at stuff and try and put it back later.

But we can access the guts of our HRV unit from the mud room. It's just ducts up there, all the electronics are inside. It's also a super simple unit, rotary heat exchanger, belt drive, simple fans that I already changed the bearing in one fan on.

Don't think blown in insulation gets much different with age unless it gets wet. It'll settle some.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

So a question from someone with no clue about attics.

Is it bad that all the joists and ductwork are completely covered now? What happens if work needs done up there?

We’ve got one of our ac units in the attic but otherwise it looks like your first picture. The insulation is old and this will be our first winter, so I have no idea how good the insulation still is. However, I’d be hesitant to put blown insulation in my attic just because the AC unit is up there and I’m not sure how that would affect maintenance, etc.

I’ve had a bunch of contractors complain about this and try to steer me towards batts (guys are going to falling through the ceiling!). And I don’t get it really—60 seconds with a snow shovel maybe? Also if your guys are falling through my ceiling fire them because they’re idiots?

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
It's lantern fly season in Philadelphia and that means they get into your cooling tower 40 stories up and the meat rots but the exoskeleton and wings stick around to clog your strainer. We have a shutdown to replace a leaking 1.5" takeoff so I am doing some PMs before we start filling.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

the poi posted:

Also if your guys are falling through my ceiling fire them because they’re idiots dead?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meatpimp posted:

Finally got the quote from Trane.

To recap -- the house is 2800 sqft, with a big (~1800 sqft) first level, with 17' vaulted ceilings that give the house a ton of volume. Second story has 3 large bedrooms and lovely airflow. It's in Central Ohio. The existing AC unit is 3 ton.

Lennox and Goodman quoted 4 ton units. Trane said they did a load calculation and didn't want to go past 3 ton because anything larger would cycle too much for proper dehumidification, even with multi-stage.

I don't understand that logic. The 2 stage unit I'm looking at with Goodman runs at 65% and 100% capacity. 65% of 4 ton is 2.6 ton... seems like that should provide additional capacity and the ability to throttle down, am I missing something?

Resolution:

I ended up getting another couple quotes and almost all of them said 4 ton was fine for my existing ductwork. I ended up going with a single-stage variable speed furnace and a 2 stage AC unit. Went with Goodman and got a 10 year parts and labor warranty with a lifetime warranty on the compressor.

I also found in my research the Reme Halo LED air purifier that combines UV light with some type of hydrogen peroxide generator to clean and remove odors from the air. Everyone I've asked said it's top of the mark right now. We'll see... they are installing next Monday.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

How much are you paying if you don't mind sharing?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

skipdogg posted:

How much are you paying if you don't mind sharing?

4 ton AC / 100k btu furnace (2 stage, I didn't notice that at first), with 10 year parts and labor and lifetime compressor warranty, including 4" filter, humidifier and Reme LED was $11.2k. From what I've seen, that's price competitive, Carrier and Trane would be about $14.5k for the same spec.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

UV lights are usually worthless, but the ozone ionizers do work.

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

It's lantern fly season in Philadelphia and that means they get into your cooling tower 40 stories up and the meat rots but the exoskeleton and wings stick around to clog your strainer. We have a shutdown to replace a leaking 1.5" takeoff so I am doing some PMs before we start filling.

mmm. crunchy.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

I am playing a stupid game with my downstairs air handler. About a week and a half ago when we were on vacation, I saw that the Ecobee attached to it had gone offline. We got home and I found that the air handler itself was unpowered (the heartbeat light on it was not blinking like normal). The breaker had not tripped, and when I flipped the cutoff switch off and back on it came back on. A few minutes later it shut down again. I flipped the cutoff switch a second time and this time the control board stayed on for about a day before shutting down - heat/cool were off during this time so the blower and such were not actually running at any point.

I got an HVAC guy to come look at the system when we got back from vacation on Thursday. He claimed that he was seeing only 80V on the circuit from the distribution panel, but I didn't see his meter to independently verify that measurement. The breaker in the panel was mislabeled as BOILER so he didn't find which breaker the air handler was attached to - I figured it out after he left. That circuit doesn't actually seem to be attached to the HWH in any way, so it seems to exclusively be servicing the air handler. He told me I needed to find an electrician, which I've been trying to do since then, but finding an available electrician in North Jersey has been impossible for the last several months (been trying to hire one for reasons unrelated to this problem).

Last night it seemed to be working okay and the A/C was running when it shut off again. I decided to begin investigating the problem in more depth myself. I was somewhat suspicious of the condensate pump because I hadn't heard it running in a while. The wiring inside the air handler is shown below:

The white Romex on top is from the breaker panel, the black cable below that has the wires that go to the condensate pump. The wires that run off to the left are the ones for the air handler. There are no other wires running to the condensate pump.

The condensate pump tank was quite full, which added to my suspicion that it was not working properly and was responsible for these shenanigans somehow. I unwired and removed the condensate pump, emptied the tank, cleaned the internals as best I could, and hooked everything back up. When I turned the breaker back on, the air handler did not show any power to the control board at all. I removed the condensate pump from the circuit entirely but same result.

At this point I'm pretty confused. I don't have a voltmeter or even a voltage detector pen at the moment, though I plan to get one, but messing around with live 120VAC to test voltages is at the edge of what I'm comfortable doing. We have a sump pit now so what I'd like to do is just remove the condensate pump entirely and run tubing into the sump pit to drain the condensate, but I am perplexed by these compounding weird electricity issues.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

chutwig posted:

I am playing a stupid game with my downstairs air handler. About a week and a half ago when we were on vacation, I saw that the Ecobee attached to it had gone offline. We got home and I found that the air handler itself was unpowered (the heartbeat light on it was not blinking like normal). The breaker had not tripped, and when I flipped the cutoff switch off and back on it came back on. A few minutes later it shut down again. I flipped the cutoff switch a second time and this time the control board stayed on for about a day before shutting down - heat/cool were off during this time so the blower and such were not actually running at any point.

I got an HVAC guy to come look at the system when we got back from vacation on Thursday. He claimed that he was seeing only 80V on the circuit from the distribution panel, but I didn't see his meter to independently verify that measurement. The breaker in the panel was mislabeled as BOILER so he didn't find which breaker the air handler was attached to - I figured it out after he left. That circuit doesn't actually seem to be attached to the HWH in any way, so it seems to exclusively be servicing the air handler. He told me I needed to find an electrician, which I've been trying to do since then, but finding an available electrician in North Jersey has been impossible for the last several months (been trying to hire one for reasons unrelated to this problem).

Last night it seemed to be working okay and the A/C was running when it shut off again. I decided to begin investigating the problem in more depth myself. I was somewhat suspicious of the condensate pump because I hadn't heard it running in a while. The wiring inside the air handler is shown below:

The white Romex on top is from the breaker panel, the black cable below that has the wires that go to the condensate pump. The wires that run off to the left are the ones for the air handler. There are no other wires running to the condensate pump.

The condensate pump tank was quite full, which added to my suspicion that it was not working properly and was responsible for these shenanigans somehow. I unwired and removed the condensate pump, emptied the tank, cleaned the internals as best I could, and hooked everything back up. When I turned the breaker back on, the air handler did not show any power to the control board at all. I removed the condensate pump from the circuit entirely but same result.

At this point I'm pretty confused. I don't have a voltmeter or even a voltage detector pen at the moment, though I plan to get one, but messing around with live 120VAC to test voltages is at the edge of what I'm comfortable doing. We have a sump pit now so what I'd like to do is just remove the condensate pump entirely and run tubing into the sump pit to drain the condensate, but I am perplexed by these compounding weird electricity issues.

Is there anything else attached to the drain line that has wires on it? A common issue would be an overflow switch that trips and interrupts power to the thermostat. This might be part of the condensate pump, but it might also be a separate device that's attached to the drain line somewhere.

You're definitely going to need a multimeter to continue any further - even if you don't want to touch the 120v coming in, you can start to look at the low voltage control wiring to try and rule out an issue. If you get a multimeter that has alligator clips you can safely confirm the incoming voltage by attaching them, turning on the breaker, and then looking at what it says, while also not touching any part of it.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

devicenull posted:

Is there anything else attached to the drain line that has wires on it? A common issue would be an overflow switch that trips and interrupts power to the thermostat. This might be part of the condensate pump, but it might also be a separate device that's attached to the drain line somewhere.

You're definitely going to need a multimeter to continue any further - even if you don't want to touch the 120v coming in, you can start to look at the low voltage control wiring to try and rule out an issue. If you get a multimeter that has alligator clips you can safely confirm the incoming voltage by attaching them, turning on the breaker, and then looking at what it says, while also not touching any part of it.

I just came home from Lowe’s with a few things including a non contact voltage sensor. When I turned the breaker on, it detected voltage on the side between the breaker and cutoff switch but nothing after the cutoff (or too low to detect). So, uh, that switch seems like a good place to start.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

lol if your problem is a 75 cent light switch.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MRC48B posted:

lol if your problem is a 75 cent light switch.

It would totally explain the symptoms. Bonus points if it's just backstabs on the switch going bad.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Motronic posted:

It would totally explain the symptoms. Bonus points if it's just backstabs on the switch going bad.

It looks like some part of the old switch had started to slowly overheat/melt over time:

If backstabbing is what the Internet tells me it is, the wires on the switch were all anchored to the screws; I don't know why that little piece of copper wire at the far end of the switch is protruding from the back like that.

I replaced it with a new switch and the air handler came right on.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lol. So it used to be backstabbed, that stopped working and somebody just put it on the screw terminals without replacing the already-heat-damaged switch.

Nice job. Even if this wasn't the problem (it probably was) it was definitely A problem.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

chutwig posted:

It looks like some part of the old switch had started to slowly overheat/melt over time:

If backstabbing is what the Internet tells me it is, the wires on the switch were all anchored to the screws; I don't know why that little piece of copper wire at the far end of the switch is protruding from the back like that.

I replaced it with a new switch and the air handler came right on.

That explains the 80v the HVAC guy saw, but it's weird he didn't bother to check the switch. Swapping a switch like that should be well within their abilities.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

New HVAC system installed tomorrow... so I'm setting the thermostat to about 64* tonight to try to blow the thing up. It won't die, but it's my last chance to kill it naturally.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

meatpimp posted:

4 ton AC / 100k btu furnace (2 stage, I didn't notice that at first), with 10 year parts and labor and lifetime compressor warranty, including 4" filter, humidifier and Reme LED was $11.2k. From what I've seen, that's price competitive, Carrier and Trane would be about $14.5k for the same spec.

FWIW my parents dropped over $15k on a Daikin 5 ton system. Variable speed fan with 2 stage gas furnace and straight AC, 4" filter, some kind of air purifier, communicating thermostat, some duct rework.

Thermostat refuses to connect to the internet, app for it has solid 1 star reviews (all pretty much for the same reason, thermostat itself won't connect to 99% of routers apparently), turns into a single stage and runs flat out with any other thermostat. :bravo:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

STR posted:

FWIW my parents dropped over $15k on a Daikin 5 ton system. Variable speed fan with 2 stage gas furnace and straight AC, 4" filter, some kind of air purifier, communicating thermostat, some duct rework.

Thermostat refuses to connect to the internet, app for it has solid 1 star reviews (all pretty much for the same reason, thermostat itself won't connect to 99% of routers apparently), turns into a single stage and runs flat out with any other thermostat. :bravo:

They paid for that? Because until you see it working properly it sounds a whole lot like the installers problem.

Edit: or it works fine with their thermostat it just has the added feature of not connecting to the internet?

Looch
Nov 6, 2007
My name says it all.
Last week my a/c broke and I had it replaced yesterday. My new system is working, but the noise of the air moving through two of the ceiling vents seems very loud. All vents are fully open. If I remove the vents the noise goes away completely, so I'm sure there isn't anything wrong with the system itself. I've searched online for "quiet vents" but have come up empty handed. I'm pretty sure this fan is blowing harder and created more noise.

both systems were 3 ton with heat pump, but the new system is a Lennox brand, 16 seer instead of 12, and is a two phase system. The previous system was carrier brand, about 20 years old and used the old refrigerant. total area being cooled is a bit under 1700 square feet.

Any suggestions on reducing the noise? I think it is only loud with it's second phase. It's fine except for the afternoons when it is trying to cool down, and then it blows hard and loud for about 2 hours.

Also, when the installers came out they said they had to remove my google thermostat because it would not work with the new system, but I don't see anything online saying it would not be compatible. I don't care to much but we only had the thermostat for two months so it feels like a shame to throw it away already.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Looch posted:

Last week my a/c broke and I had it replaced yesterday. My new system is working, but the noise of the air moving through two of the ceiling vents seems very loud. All vents are fully open. If I remove the vents the noise goes away completely, so I'm sure there isn't anything wrong with the system itself. I've searched online for "quiet vents" but have come up empty handed. I'm pretty sure this fan is blowing harder and created more noise.

both systems were 3 ton with heat pump, but the new system is a Lennox brand, 16 seer instead of 12, and is a two phase system. The previous system was carrier brand, about 20 years old and used the old refrigerant. total area being cooled is a bit under 1700 square feet.

Any suggestions on reducing the noise? I think it is only loud with it's second phase. It's fine except for the afternoons when it is trying to cool down, and then it blows hard and loud for about 2 hours.

Also, when the installers came out they said they had to remove my google thermostat because it would not work with the new system, but I don't see anything online saying it would not be compatible. I don't care to much but we only had the thermostat for two months so it feels like a shame to throw it away already.

They did you a favor. It might still be returnable if you have the box, or sell it on Facebook marketplace.

Ask the installers about the noise. The may have changed up something in your ductwork that we can't diagnose here. Is the new forced air unit (the blower itself) higher cfm?

Looch
Nov 6, 2007
My name says it all.

H110Hawk posted:

They did you a favor. It might still be returnable if you have the box, or sell it on Facebook marketplace.

Ask the installers about the noise. The may have changed up something in your ductwork that we can't diagnose here. Is the new forced air unit (the blower itself) higher cfm?

The new blower is up to 1150 from what I can tell in the manual, but I don't have any information from the old one anymore.

I called the installers and they'll come out in a few weeks and take a look to see if they need to adjust something. I'll keep my fingers crossed they can figure something out.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

H110Hawk posted:

They paid for that? Because until you see it working properly it sounds a whole lot like the installers problem.

Edit: or it works fine with their thermostat it just has the added feature of not connecting to the internet?

The latter. It works fine, the thermostat just won't do the internet. I got it to connect long enough to download a firmware update (and it pretty much wouldn't let you bypass it, couldn't even change the temp once the update notice popped up), and it hasn't been able to connect to their router since.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

STR posted:

The latter. It works fine, the thermostat just won't do the internet. I got it to connect long enough to download a firmware update (and it pretty much wouldn't let you bypass it, couldn't even change the temp once the update notice popped up), and it hasn't been able to connect to their router since.

Ugh gently caress that. (The thermostat should fulfill its primary purpose first and foremost, deal with the internet/firmware as a tertiary thing. Unless it literally has a bug that can cause the compressor to physically break.)

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Soooo, anyone work/operate commercial low-pressure boilers? What kind of lead time are you getting with treatment and testing chemicals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Steam or water? I haven’t seen any issues getting chemicals lately.