Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Declassify the recipe, Donnie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm back! So I'm just going to pick up with this week's Chinese propaganda, French comics, if I find any and keep at it from then. Sorry for the absence.

China Daily

Tearing Country Apart by Li Min from 15/8

US' fear of its 'China threat' shadow by Cai Meng from 16/8

Le Monde still hasn't updated since the beginning of July, I hope that they just haven't stopped. It's not uncommon for nothing to happen between July and August in France (as in no one works) so I'm hoping it's just that, if someone has another easy source for French comics let me know.

Charlie Hebdo

On the attack on Salman Rushdie

"Kerosene Tax Law: The Day that Impacted France"
On the building: Center of Public Finances
I think this is how France keeps raising taxes on fuels that more grievously impacts lower middle/working class as opposed to going after companies and billionaires.

Love conquers all
"If you leave me, I'll kill myself."
"If you leave me, I'll kill you."
From an article criticizing personal development and how it's targeted on women.

The following two comics come from an article that seems to be about how the UK is coming down on gender dysmorphia treatments in youths. The tone strikes me as bigoted, but I can't access it all. But just be aware.

:nws: Uterus and Penis with boxing gloves

"Go on, my darling, tell us, then?! Do you feel more like a man, like daddy, or like a woman like mommy? We need to know to block or not your puberty..."
"You need to make a decision, that doctor is a very busy man you know... Well?!"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Gorrell is just precious. The Iranian emblem features a loving sword but no...

Bold of you to assume that or that he knows that it was Iran that issued the fatwa.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Alhazred posted:

Bold of you to assume that or that he knows that it was Iran that issued the fatwa.

Even if he does, Gorrel isn't intending to just blame Iran.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

"Go on, my darling, tell us, then?! Do you feel more like a man, like daddy, or like a woman like mommy? We need to know to block or not your puberty..."
"You need to make a decision, that doctor is a very busy man you know... Well?!"

"Children shouldn't be forced to make a decision about their gender before they're ready, and this is why puberty blockers are a bad thing." :confused:

Also I know big noses have a long tradition in French cartoons, but man.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Its always so depressing to me to see terrible people as kids. Young, full of potential and dreams, probably big hopes for their future, absolutely no idea they'll someday be a bigoted nutjob only known for obsessively pumping out an incoherent hate speech comic for 2+ decades.

When you're a kid you never really know what your future is going to be like but oof

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Bismuth posted:

Its always so depressing to me to see terrible people as kids. Young, full of potential and dreams, probably big hopes for their future, absolutely no idea they'll someday be a bigoted nutjob only known for obsessively pumping out an incoherent hate speech comic for 2+ decades.

When you're a kid you never really know what your future is going to be like but oof

Eeeeehhhh... considering what he was putting out in his college newspaper, I think his path was set early on. He probably had plenty of chances to pull out of that spiral, but kept doubling down until all that's left is the 50 year old hate gremlin who still portrays himself as a 20-something cartoonist who is not wrong (And is totally pro-women, but keeps portraying them as hookers and whores, unless they're THOSE kind of "wo"men), it's the kids who are wrong. Of which he is one.

The thing is, he's a talented artist and is able to keep putting out detailed comics at a steady pace. It's just that his comic is so hateful and spiteful that all you can do is stare in horror at everything he makes, or ridicule the message because it's become SO offensive.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

1 posted:

For Gorrell, this is maximum effort.

Peak Gorrell for me is still the Ukraine cartoon, where he took the thumbnail of the first Google Image search result for 'world', stretched it out, then coloured the bottom half yellow without even bothering to paint within the lines.

Anyway,

Skios fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 16, 2022

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I forgot the Michelle is Trans conspiracy theory, and wondered who the gently caress Big Mike was for a good minute. He really is just Dees now, buying into every conspiracy under the sun.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah this is just transphobia wrapped up in "but think of the children" handwringing, same as the Sinfest strips about it. It's not the kids who have made this decision, it's the parents forcing it on their precious undeveloped minds. Children must be protected from transitioning at all costs lest they ruin their lives.

These same people would then turn around and say to an adult who's started transitioning "How can you know? You never showed any signs or said anything as a child so it must not be true."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also acting like blocking puberty for a couple years is "messing with nature" but massive changes in diet and lifestyle that have brought puberty forward on average by a few years (which is itself linked to increased incidence of several cancers) is just life.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Randalor posted:

Eeeeehhhh... considering what he was putting out in his college newspaper, I think his path was set early on.

Yeah but to echo the OPs thought, you can just look at even earlier pics and get the same feeling. Like imagine a picture of him when he was 4, imagine the hopes his parents had for him while he learned to grasp language and explore the world. And then he turns into that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
More like 'Most Likely To Succ', ayyyyyyy

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Brian Adcock on Keir Starmer’s plan to freeze the energy price cap – The Labour leader announced a strategy to stop people paying more on fuel bills that he says will also reduce inflation"

Telegraph:

Keir Starmer plan for energy price freeze based on 'illusion'

Matt:

UK weather: Flash floods and thunderstorms to hit as weather warnings issued

Times:

Evening Standard:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I feel like the 4th panel showing other people buried in the sand kinda undermines the point Lubchansky was making a little bit.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mercury Hat posted:

Yeah this is just transphobia wrapped up in "but think of the children" handwringing, same as the Sinfest strips about it. It's not the kids who have made this decision, it's the parents forcing it on their precious undeveloped minds. Children must be protected from transitioning at all costs lest they ruin their lives.

These same people would then turn around and say to an adult who's started transitioning "How can you know? You never showed any signs or said anything as a child so it must not be true."
It’s telling, because the parents on the transphobic side clearly see their kids as dolls to do with as they please. You are going to be a good Christian boy who gets a STEM degree and marries a good Christian woman and have 2.5 kids together while working for Sallie Mae’s upper management.

They cannot understand that other parents just want their kids to be happy, functional adults. So they just assume the pro-transgender group wants their kids to be trans.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

the_steve posted:

I feel like the 4th panel showing other people buried in the sand kinda undermines the point Lubchansky was making a little bit.

By "many people are not buried in sand" he means "the right kind of people, the important people". Billioneers are doing so fine, you are doing fine on average!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Skios posted:

Peak Gorrell for me is still the Ukraine cartoon, where he took the thumbnail of the first Google Image search result for 'world', stretched it out, then coloured the bottom half yellow without even bothering to paint within the lines.

Anyway,

Kelly absolutely capturing that "completely incomprehensible unless you're in the know" feeling.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I kinda get what the joke here is trying to be, but it feels like there's a panel missing; like there should've been a beat between two and three for the idea to land before hitting the punchline.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mercury Hat posted:

Someone probably knows better than me, but Charlie Hebdo is weird as they're against your standard conservative totems, but also just such assholes on most progressive positions. What is that called politically?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Someone probably knows better than me, but Charlie Hebdo is weird as they're against your standard conservative totems, but also just such assholes on most progressive positions. What is that called politically?

Edgy contrarianism

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

South Park Centrism.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

100YrsofAttitude posted:

libertarianism

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thank you.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bismuth posted:

Oh come on, that's a bit much, does Laura Oki really deserve that

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

This is the second actual joke I’ve seen in Drinky Duck within a week what gives?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

French.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
They are first and foremost pathological contrarians.

And also French.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

*leans in to the microphone* Ted Rall

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Say, speaking of, I wonder what he’s been up to lately?

…Oh.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Say, speaking of, I wonder what he’s been up to lately?

…Oh.

I can't access Sputnik, want to give a brief?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Nenonen posted:

I can't access Sputnik, want to give a brief?

Rall is in Russia on an “extended trip” to specifically Moscow and St Petersburg, which he is coincidentally writing up for Sputnik International. He is amazed at how much nicer the people are than the US, how much freer the press is than the US, and at how unfair and burdensome and harmful to everyday Russians US sanctions are, as well as how harmless and futile US sanctions are, affecting no one.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 16, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Did he also specify what a handsome freethinker he is and how many models want to give him a blowjob?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Thanks!

By popular demand posted:

Did he also specify what a handsome freethinker he is and how many models want to give him a blowjob?

Blowjobs just make him sad.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

By popular demand posted:

The last paragraph is about people giving him free drinks because he’s an American who is “interested” in Russia. Other paragraphs discuss how dismissive and fearful of Russia “others” are.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What?

Did Stantis accidentally copy/paste in the wrong panel? This makes absolutely no sense, and not in the normal way.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No his timing just sucks.

is more like what he was going for

e: or

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude