Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

ikanreed posted:

In principle, I think freedom of religion is really important and you can't suppress the human desire to believe.

In practice: lol, owned.

America: Churches should be tax-dodging social clubs.

CCP: Let us winnow out the lukewarm and restore the underground Church of the apostles.

Human "Rights" Watch: Why does China hate Jesus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
thanks for all the replies!

i really need to read 'how china escaped shock theraphy'.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
which overwatch character would represent tiananmen

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/highlightsnews1/status/1558968613834457090?s=20&t=wVBKBbnygywMBQgQzbOKoA

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

i was waiting for insanely rich guy connection reveal and wasn't disappointed

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i personally know a tiananmen survivor who lost her husband while fleeing the firing. you can admit that the CCP is guilty of atrocities while remaining a communist, btw

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Antonymous posted:

Gorbachev tried his best to destroy global communism. he even visited Tiananmen Square during the 89 protests lmao

lol that Gorbachev still maintains that he never wanted to destroy communism, he was just extremely stupid and incompetent

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

these are the images the chinese government is probably more afraid of than a tank not running over a guy

lynched soldier's desecrated and burned body above

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

lollontee posted:

i personally know a tiananmen survivor who lost her husband while fleeing the firing.

Now That's What I Call Owned

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

lollontee posted:

i personally know a tiananmen survivor who lost her husband while fleeing the firing. you can admit that the CCP is guilty of atrocities while remaining a communist, btw

She found him again later though, right?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Gorbachev vs Kissinger vs Jiang Zheming vs Liz II , who will win the relic of the cold war past race?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

lollontee posted:

It was a CIA-backed color revolution and PLA soldiers were being attacked and burned alive,, but you keep on believing the western narrative.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Gorbachev vs Kissinger vs Jiang Zheming vs Liz II , who will win the relic of the cold war past race?

Gorbachev doesnt have the energy to fight, just make consecutive autobiographies where he tiptoes towards "I hosed up" then retreats at the last moment

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Homeless Friend posted:

which overwatch character would represent tiananmen

bastion's ult

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

who

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

It would be cool if Jiang Zemin had a body double named Zhang Zheming

edit: or liek a bizzaro superman capitalist counterpart

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
:tinfoil: you're telling me Via Getty was at the capitol on Jan 6th and at Tiananmen in 89?

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

:cheers:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

lollontee posted:

i personally know a tiananmen survivor who lost her husband while fleeing the firing.

Was she one of the ones arming themselves and killing soldiers, or one of the ones watching people arm themselves and kill soldiers?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

stephenthinkpad posted:

more like who would win their epic rap battle of history

Neurolimal posted:

Gorbachev doesnt have the energy to fight, just make consecutive autobiographies where he tiptoes towards "I hosed up" then retreats at the last moment

If any of the gerontocrats who followed Brezhnev had survived longer than a year, there might still be a Soviet Union. That's how much of a fuckup Gorbachev was.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 02:00 on Aug 17, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No, Hu came later.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

No, Hu came later.

"Who's the general secretary of the chinese communist party?"

"No, Xi is."

"She is?"

"Yes"

"Who is?"

"Hu is the former general secretary of the chinese communist party"

"What are you asking me for?"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Antonymous posted:

"Who's the general secretary of the chinese communist party?"

"No, Xi is."

"She is?"

"Yes"

"Who is?"

"Hu is the former general secretary of the chinese communist party"

"What are you asking me for?"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ardennes posted:

I would say it is hard to find one in English, the main issue is that it is absolutely true real estate prices are dropping in China…it clearly a result in purposeful government policy. The Chinese government anything wants if not needs real estate prices to drop since it is causing inequality and leading to “dead capital” being left in the market.

If anything other governments should be joining them since the post Covid real estate bubble isn’t at all sustainable.

increased real estate prices necessitate increased wages. keeping exports competitive requires low wages. the chinese planners understand that you can increase standard of living by raising wages, or by lowering cost of living. this is one of the major points hudson is always over there lecturing about

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

DeimosRising posted:

increased real estate prices necessitate increased wages. keeping exports competitive requires low wages. the chinese planners understand that you can increase standard of living by raising wages, or by lowering cost of living. this is one of the major points hudson is always over there lecturing about

Your not gonna be able to raise wages to match the real estate prices in any of the major cities, not when they're as expensive if not more expensive than major cities in the US or Europe.

Also that'll just create even more wage disparity between the tier one cities and lower tier cities not to mention the cities and the rural towns and villages.

Gotta lower real estate prices whole at the same time try to raise wages across the entire country.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

more like who would win their epic rap battle of history

If any of the gerontocrats who followed Brezhnev had survived longer than a year, there might still be a Soviet Union. That's how much of a fuckup Gorbachev was.

the gerontocrats were pretty young by modern American standards

quote:

The marginal changes announced last week involve the removal of the “young” Dmitri S. Polyansky who is still on the right side of 60, and the election of Dmitri F. Ustinov, now 67, and Grigory V. Romanov, a mere stripling of 53. But the real kernel of power remains the hands of Messrs. Brezhnev, Kosygin, Suslov and Podgorny, a quartet whose average age exceeds 70.

From the point of view of the outside world, there is something good to be said about a Kremlin gerontocracy. The ruling Soviet 70‐year‐olds are hardly likely to push an adventurous course that would pose serious risks of thermonuclear war. Their instinct for aggression seems more likely to be expressed in trying to capture isolated targets of opportunity—future Angolas where the dead can be Cubans or Africans rather than Russians.
But what the actuaries call “the force of mortality” acts upon elderly Kremlin leaders just as it does upon their contemporaries everywhere else. There is a substantial probability that by 1980 several present members of the Politburo will be dead.

only one died by 1980 and that was Kosygin, barely, in late December of that year.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

gently caress i didn't know they killed the walrus that sucks rear end

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Your not gonna be able to raise wages to match the real estate prices in any of the major cities, not when they're as expensive if not more expensive than major cities in the US or Europe.

Also that'll just create wage disparity between the tier one cities and lower tier cities not to mention the cities and the rural towns and villages.

yeah i know that's what i'm saying. it's better to lower costs instead by lowering prices for housing, utilities, etc

also you can live in beijing for a pittance. at one point i lived out of a hotel for a year and i spent less than 20 bucks a day, food and lodging. my apartment in changchun was 3 bedrooms and cost less than 1k a month, and that's a city/metro about the size of chicago and twice as dense

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
how did you find these cheap places and are there any in shanghai

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/YonhapNews/status/1559718968453054465

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

China has been very thorough in its attempt to build legitimacy around the world but it is failing in all the key areas where it needs to succeed at. It is easy and cheap for China to maintain a good image of itself in South America and Africa or even the Caribbean because there are no stakes there and frankly they are geopolitically unimportant in the regions where China needs to exert its influence most. So the narrative of 'China increasingly isolated as everyone hates them' might not be technically true in the sense that there are pockets where they still enjoy a good image and foreign support, it is becoming *functionally true* in that anyone with stakes in the regions that China views as its core interests, sees China in an increasingly negative light and may be prone to choose the existing option of cooperating with the US and helping to maintain the existing framework.

Certainly trying to walk the tight rope on the Ukraine issue is pleasing no one outside of Russia and the general view that the Chinese covered up and are at least partly responsible for COVID being the pandemic it was yet again isn't helping. None of this is to say that China's (and Xi's) vision of Chinese ascendency is doomed per se as the economic and military might of Beijing remains very real. It is, however, ironic that when China sees the US as an aging power that should gracefully retire back across the Pacific, it is giving everyone in the region and actors with stakes outside the region, every reason to prop up and support the US in its attempt to pivot to the Pacific and maintain a dominating relevance in what should be Beijing's backyard.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

thinking of the last time a rival power of the USA got a little too involved with the caribbean...

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

this is going to be like america ramming through the perfunctory reparations for comfort women that didn't even consult with the women so they could join the anti-china quad alliance

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Cpt obvious, are you making a copy pasta post? I can't tell.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

China has been very thorough in its attempt to build legitimacy around the world but it is failing in all the key areas where it needs to succeed at. It is easy and cheap for China to maintain a good image of itself in South America and Africa or even the Caribbean because there are no stakes there and frankly they are geopolitically unimportant in the regions where China needs to exert its influence most. So the narrative of 'China increasingly isolated as everyone hates them' might not be technically true in the sense that there are pockets where they still enjoy a good image and foreign support, it is becoming *functionally true* in that anyone with stakes in the regions that China views as its core interests, sees China in an increasingly negative light and may be prone to choose the existing option of cooperating with the US and helping to maintain the existing framework.

Certainly trying to walk the tight rope on the Ukraine issue is pleasing no one outside of Russia and the general view that the Chinese covered up and are at least partly responsible for COVID being the pandemic it was yet again isn't helping. None of this is to say that China's (and Xi's) vision of Chinese ascendency is doomed per se as the economic and military might of Beijing remains very real. It is, however, ironic that when China sees the US as an aging power that should gracefully retire back across the Pacific, it is giving everyone in the region and actors with stakes outside the region, every reason to prop up and support the US in its attempt to pivot to the Pacific and maintain a dominating relevance in what should be Beijing's backyard.

im guessing all the key areas are where white people live

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Danann posted:

im guessing all the key areas are where white people live

ding ding ding. d&d is too racist to have English language threads on non-English speaking countries

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Cpt obvious, are you making a copy pasta post? I can't tell.

I thought the Woohan flu line would have given it away instantly.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I thought the Woohan flu line would have given it away instantly.

dont you read the news dummy the democrats are in charge that means its ok for us to be racist again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
again implies they ever stopped