Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Romeo Weiss, Grandpa posted:

First one to become a grandpa! Little Adam! Thanks Geraldine and Malachi! Beat Tom to the punch!

Haven is dead, died so young at 45! Haven wasn't the best brother, but he was my brother and I'll miss him greatly. It's just me and my sister, Devon left, if she dies, I'll be Colonel Director of Ross 128. I don't know how to feel about that.

Lowell might not be the most well liked guy in the galaxy right now, but I've taken a liking to him (mustache bros!) so it's not totally lonely out here.

My dear daughter, Devon has had a hell of a time, first with Carmen being robbed and then her and Jane almost lost because of a malfunctioning shuttle. I'm glad it was Jane with her and I hear that Devon is taking after her because of this incident. Jane is a good role model (as long as Devon doesn't become dull too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

nweismuller posted:

As Mariko indicated, we're currently trying to sweeten up the Pruitt Systems for eventual annexation, but this is being slowed by the fact that, on a personal level, the current Pruitt duke can't stand Jane's personality (largely because he's a Rulebreaker). His son is Honorable, and may well be able to be sweetened up enough for a diplomatic annexation... once the current duke dies of old age. Given that he's 59, he's getting to the point where that may happen soon-ish. And yes, Military is having a fun time of keeping our systems from boiling over. Parts of the league are basically under control. Other parts... really aren't.

I assume that there are, shall we say, methods to book an express ticket on Charon's boat that cannot be employed because too many people in House Weiss frown on that sort of thing.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

MechaCrash posted:

I assume that there are, shall we say, methods to book an express ticket on Charon's boat that cannot be employed because too many people in House Weiss frown on that sort of thing.

One possible Security assignment is assassination. Which is both something the House head disapproves of, and something that demands a really competent Security agent who's not stuck at home to pursue. And our Security person who's not the head of Security, and thus stuck at home, isn't really up to 'really competent' standards.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

For what it's worth, unrest levels across the league and their change per turn. At 100 unrest, a revolt kicks off and current unrest is reduced by 70 or 75, I can't recall exactly which; above 75 unrest, the local ruling House may have negative events occur due to the poor state of control of the colony. You can judge how 'in control' things are from these maps.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Holy poo poo, we need to start addressing unrest like yesterday. No wonder everyone else is collapsing.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

EclecticTastes posted:

Holy poo poo, we need to start addressing unrest like yesterday. No wonder everyone else is collapsing.

Administration is helping by making sure installations go back into service. Every installation back online is a reduction of 0.33 in the per-turn unrest increase at its colony, which is one of the major ways to help ensure longer-term stability.

E: The takeaway is that stability is hard in Star Dynasties; internal revolts and tensions are a constant force threatening to break down what you've built up in the setting.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Admiral Bella Garcia posted:

Director-General Weiss. I respectfully and formally request, with all due deference, that in future no vessel of the Weiss League space forces be destroyed or otherwise consumed for propaganda or informational purposes without the prior notification and preferably consent of the Admiral of the Weiss League. Whilst taking such action is within the powers of the Director-General, circumventing the delegation of powers is a bad precedent, and the disposition of the Weiss League fleet and its constituent vessels is a responsibility delegated to the Admiral. Should this become a regular occurrence I may need to reconsider my position.

Peacekeeping. Hyadum and Merope still need attention. Ross 128 is bad but less so than Albiero and Mu Capricorni. I propose we transfer our efforts from Ross 128 to Albiero for the time being, and if we have a spare militarily competent pair of hands that they be set to work in Mu Capricorni.

The dispensation of justice. We have been asked to, it is in line with precedent to comply, and the suggested sentence is just.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Director-General Jane Weiss posted:

Your complaints are noted, and just, Admiral- I shall consult with you for similar situations in the future. Barring objection from the Technology Director, I will temporarily reassign Leslie from Technology to Military following the execution of his sentence, to be assigned as you choose.

I appreciate that our league is facing significant challenges now, but I believe that we, as a House, have the resources and the talent to address these challenges and to help bring stability, prosperity, and justice to our portion of space. I pray simply that Almighty God sees fit to permit the wars between the Lamb Clan and those states seceded from it be resolved with minimal destruction.

As a matter of general situation- this may be unseemly pride, and I may be so judged if it is, but I believe that our House, our Guild, and our League are nearly uniquely suited to creating a better future. All the colonies have escaped from the grim years of the Dark Age, but there is much yet that we can achieve, and I believe that House Weiss shall lead the way into this brighter future. Granted this, I believe it is our duty and our responsibility to carry out our tasks as ably and as honorably as possible. If we have a special place granted us, then likewise we must fill this place with every gram of effort and skill we have. God and our descendants shall judge us if we fail in our responsibilities. Ubi multum datur, multum quaeritur.

It sounds like Prudence might be unavailable for a few weeks, so if I haven't gotten a post from Prudence's player by the time I return from catsitting on Sunday, I'll just play through the next update and handle Technology by my own judgement.

I'd like to make a special request for somebody to grab Mariko if they feel at all willing- Diplomacy is a major aspect of our strategy, and it would be nice to have somebody handling that council seat who isn't me. Even if you're not terribly familiar with Star Dynasties, I can do my best to give you the information needed to make some decisions as relevant within the narrow field of Diplomacy.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 4, 2022

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

As tempting as it is to go OH GIMME GIMME as a bit, I think we both know it's a really bad idea and, were I to speak up for a character that did not leave you grasping for a way to ensure my bloodstained hands can't get near the levers of power, the loving diplomat is the worst person to give me with my constant calls for boundless belligerence. :v:

On an actually serious and relevant note, holy poo poo that unrest, is this normal for this kind of game?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

MechaCrash posted:

As tempting as it is to go OH GIMME GIMME as a bit, I think we both know it's a really bad idea and, were I to speak up for a character that did not leave you grasping for a way to ensure my bloodstained hands can't get near the levers of power, the loving diplomat is the worst person to give me with my constant calls for boundless belligerence. :v:

On an actually serious and relevant note, holy poo poo that unrest, is this normal for this kind of game?

Clearly you are ideal for playing a Kind and Loyal diplomat. Clearly she will be constantly clamoring for blood and skulls. (That said, there's a possibility we'll get some Brave and Cruel character at some point where you can indulge your inner psychopath on some level or another.)

And yes, yes that unrest is pretty normal. Did I mention stability is hard, particularly with a realm that's grown rapidly and outstripped its neighbors and hasn't had time to build up infrastructure and local colonial economies? Because stability is hard. Having to deal with a continual low roar of local revolts you need to crush is fairly common, but you can try and juggle Military to keep it under control.

This makes it all the more satisfying when you do manage to stabilise significant chunks of what you rule.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Although accidents are rare in tournaments, the mere fact of them involving high-acceleration maneuvers at very close range with (admittedly underpowered) weapons discharged sometimes ends tragically.

House Weiss has been forcefully confronted with this fact.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

nweismuller posted:

Although accidents are rare in tournaments, the mere fact of them involving high-acceleration maneuvers at very close range with (admittedly underpowered) weapons discharged sometimes ends tragically.

House Weiss has been forcefully confronted with this fact.

Romeo Weiss posted:

I hate funerals

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
The End of Bella Garcia

Surges of unrest beyond the already-simmering tensions driven by the plotting of minor Houses, crowding, poverty, crime, and hunger are not uncommon in the colonies, whether driven by organic outrage from below or by the efforts of rival Houses to stir discontent with the rulers of a colony. Still, House Weiss took particular note when unrest spiked at Zubenelgenubi, the home colony of the Shannon Collective, in the latter half of 2518. Major unrest at the capital of a neighboring realm could well mean a change in the political landscape- as witness the birth of the Weiss Guild itself as House Goodman fell.

Still, Director-General Jane Weiss put this from her mind as she accepted an invitation to a feast being hosted by Leane McCoy, Duchess of the McCoy Dominion and Archon of the Gilmore League, hoping to take this opportunity to build foreign relations while enjoying a celebration alongside Mariko, Thomas, Oriole, and Bella Garcia, who would accompany her to the feast. Little did she anticipate how this feast would turn out for her.

Admiral Bella Garcia was named the champion for House Weiss in the pre-feast tournament, in which she was expected to make a strong showing. Unfortunately, a momentary loss of control while dogfighting in her second bout had her drift so that she accelerated directly into a burst from her opponent, Baroness Kiran Hunt of Algorab. With the increased relative velocity and with multiple tournament pellets striking on the viewport pane of Bella's interceptor, even the normally-harmless tournament ammunition, lighter and slower than combat ammunition, was enough to crack armored glass and cause a breach. The Admiral died of decompression effects at the age of 38, leaving behind two sons, Harold and Jayne.

Jane barely noticed the remainder of the gathering, numb with shock and loss. On her return to Vega, she named her stepmother, Carmen Weiss, as the new Admiral of the Weiss Guild. The Weiss Guild had, up to this point, enjoyed superb military leadership, but now was forced to adapt to a far less qualified Admiral taking command.

Shortly after her return, she received a request advanced from King Lowell Lamb, seeking justice for the revolt of the Porter Kingdom against the Lamb Clan. The Director-General levied a fine of fourty thousand marks against King Gustave Porter despite his close relation to her family, a step which was generally considered by observers to demonstrate an admirable commitment to justice and honor.

The cyan scroll as a reputational effect indicates that this particular punishment actually gained us a bit of reputation for honor. Not bad.

The latter half saw requests from territory from the Shannon League and from the Porter Kingdom, the Shannon League seeking a transfer of the White Federation from the Weiss League and the Porter Kingdom requesting that Ross 128 be granted to them, remaining in the Weiss League but being transferred out of the Weiss Guild. Director-General Jane Weiss refused both of these requests, judging them not in the best interest of House Weiss.

Meanwhile, efforts to rebuild the economy of the Weiss League were underway. The latter half of 2518 saw a major hydroponic farming facility go into operation at Hyadum, a factory for ship components, including the drive and thruster assemblies, being brought back into operation at Ross 128, and a major weapons factory capable of producing high-quality missiles and railguns for ship usage brought back into operation at Zeta Ophiuchi. New ship components from a dedicated factory that didn't have to be painstaking assembled by House engineers at the space ports of various colonies proved a blessing for shipbuilding.

The completion of the hydroponic farm at Hyadum, unfortunately, did not prevent a series of crop failures half a year later at the colony, bringing on another spate of hunger responsible for hundreds of deaths at Hyadum. Hyadum, which had suffered famine only three years before in 2516, was gripped by massive unrest by a population desperate to escape from hunger and deprivation.

The late part of 2518 also brought political developments, with the efforts of Keir Weiss and Diplomacy officers helping to cement the Weiss Guild's hold on Alhena. Bribes spread amongst local Houses, arguments about the Weiss Guild's track record of honorable, competent leadership, and propaganda amongst the commons brought at least a partial acceptance amongst the population of Alhena of their membership in the Weiss Guild. Although the Weiss League remained a far-flung empire struggling to maintain order and restore prosperity in its territory, this, nonetheless, was a small step forward for peace and order across the League.

As the first reports of famine and food shortage came out of Hyadum in the early part of 2519, Duke Yardley Patton announced he would not punish Baron Blaine Floyd for the crime of fighting against House Weiss, citing the unjustified annexation of Alsciaukat by the Weiss Guild as justification for his failure to act. Director-General Jane Weiss acknowledged the justice of Yardley Patton's claim, leaving the matter as legally settled.

By about this time, it had become clear that despite the age difference between Allen Weiss, Romeo's second son, and Harold Garcia, Bella's older son, they had grown very close while growing up together. The six-year-old Harold idolised the fifteen-year-old Allen, who, for his part, managed to find time for Harold when he would reach out to very few others.

Duchess Lovie Lindsey of the Lindsey Coalition requested the return of Alhena in the early part of 2519, a request which was swiftly denied. On the other hand, on the opposite side of the Weiss League, the League's borders shifted rapidly in the early part of 2519.

First, Governor Quang Evans of Taygeta chose to break allegiance with the Pruitt Systems and pledge Taygeta to the Lamb Clan, leaving the Pruitt Systems reduced to nothing more than the colony at Marfik. With his power almost broken, Duke Kirabo Pruitt of the Pruitt Systems swallowed his reluctance and agreed to join the Weiss League as its newest member state, bringing the Weiss League up to a full eight member states and extended its reach as far as humanity had extended in that direction. No further colonies lay beyond Marfik.

Meanwhile, in the Thornton Quadrant, upheaval suddenly brough House Roach, the House that Jane's sister Jessica married into, farther ahead. Xenon Roach launched a rebellion, naming himself Duke of the new Roach Planets, when the Acting Duke of the Thornton Quadrant refused to press a claim of Xenon's wife. In a rapid strike, the Roach Planets conquered the Thornton Quadrant's remaining colony at Wei, naming his son Hayden- Jessica's husband- as the new baron of Wei. Within half a year, the Thornton Quadrant was swept away, entirely replaced by the Roach Planets.

Local efforts in early 2519 continued to help bring installations online, including an industrial-scale incinerator at Zeta Ophiuchi and an Interstellar Authority surveillance and communications center at Kajam. Slowly, the tools and capabilities of the past were being restored to operation, however repurposed and worn they may have become since their initial days before the Collapse.

The Lamb Clan launched another assault against Tseen in early 2519, supplementing their own forces with a small force of mercenaries, while the Robinson Confederation rallied support from the Patton Quadrant and the rulers of Alsciaukat and Nashira. The battle was bloody, with the defenders taking heavy losses amongst their bombers and interceptors and the attackers nearly wiped out, but heavy combat in the colony left it at the edge of viability. Although the colony at Tseen survived, further damage to the colony could potential lead to cascade failures of life support that would force its inhabitants to evacuate or perish.

Although House Weiss had been charged to punish Leslie Weiss for his earlier divorce, the need to repeatedly address issues of higher priority had pushed this matter off the agenda until it had become clear House Weiss had failed to punish him. Although King Gustave Porter was disappointed, the matter was minor enough that it did not disrupt friendly relations, nor did it impact the opinion of the nobility at large, who viewed this particular case as discretionary on the Director-General's part.

Allen Weiss, Romeo's second son, celebrated his majority in the later half of 2519, whereupon the Director-General strove to find a good match for him. The best bride available Jane could find was Vanida Noble, a member of the minor House Noble at Vega. Although keenly intelligent, Vanida had a sharp temper and a vindictive streak. Still, Jane hoped that she and Allen, who had grown into a quiet, intelligent man, a natural recruit for Technology, would be able to live happily together.

The marriage between Keir Weiss and Carmen Weiss was less happy, with Carmen a distant and uncaring wife. Keir requested a divorce from Jane, but was denied, Jane being extremely reluctant to dissolve the sacred bond of marriage and the oaths associated with it.

Work to restore the installations of old continued, with a fabrication plant for armed defense platforms put back into operation at Beta Eridani and with the extensive annex to the research hospital at Vega placed back in operation. This complex of patient rooms and observation chambers was easily able to be converted to a prison, allowing the more makeshift expedients for holding criminals used thus far to be reconverted for civilian use and providing a secure holding place from criminals from several colonies. A secure holding place for thieves or people convicted of corruption would, no doubt, help remove several obstacles to smooth and efficient colonial operations, a fact which was not lost on Administration.

Administration, for its part, had its own challenges to face. Between heavy efforts to push out new accountancy and audit standards, a brief general dip in productivity in Administration, and the growth of the Weiss League, Administration was struggling to cope with the demands of handling the Weiss League, a fact which led them to petition for aid from Technology.

The new audit standards, however, had borne fruit. Detailed record-keeping and meticulous procedures helped with efforts to detect waste, corruption, and theft, and were anticipated to help ensure that Administration's efforts to collect taxes efficiently would go successfully.

Fortunately for Administration, Emily Weiss had recently completed her task of improving the uploaded minds simulation and preventing its daily reset, a project which greatly helped her development in technical skills and programming. Following her improvement of the simulation, the minds uploaded began disappearing one by one from their dreamworld, leaving behind nothing but a message of thanks.

She was immediately reassigned to oversee the production and deployment of message drones and to help monitor communications across the message drone network. With eased communications, Administration's task once again became manageable.

The Technology assignment 'Monitor Vassals' can add from 1 to 3 to your vassal limit, based on the assignment effectiveness. Emily boosted the limit by a full three.

As the year came to a close, Jane Weiss was asked to judge a bet between Colonial Director Javen Nichols of Miaplacidus and Baron Mckale Ritter of Beta Eridani, determining which of them had claimed victory in a shuttle race to Vega- although Javen Nichols' shuttle arrived at Vega first, there was some question as to whether its flight path had interfered with Mckale Ritter's shuttle's navigation. Jane, looking over the arguments, chose to judge in favor of Mckale Ritter, believing that the flight path Javen Nichols chose was tantamount to cheating.

Shortly after the turning of the new year of 2520, a merchant arrived at Vega offering a rarity- a litter of puppies. Although dogs continued to be bred in the colonies, the expense of maintaining a pet animal rendered them a luxury for the wealthiest. Jane, looking over the young dogs, was unimpressed, and chose not to spend her viridium on such a thing.

House Weiss's Technology department had been running at high efficiency for some time, as had Medical under Technology. The fact that the House had enjoyed consistent access to top-quality medical care with no danger of medical stockpiles dropping off was a boost to the morale of House members, who knew that their health was in the very best of hands and had minor complaints dealt with swiftly and competently.

Unfortunately, Military had been run less effectively as of late, Admiral Carmen Weiss struggling to fill the place left behind after Harold and Bella died. In the absence of effective monitoring from above, corruption had been growing amongst the local peacekeeper force at Vega, while training and equipment standards had slipped- and between crimes committed by corrupt peacekeepers and the reduced effectiveness of those peacekeepers seeking to fulfil their duty, crime at Vega was beginning to increase dangerously.

The Director-General assigned Security to investigate and handle corruption within the peacekeeper force, which it set to with a will. Under Commissioner Oriole Weiss's direction and with the work of Noelle Garcia as an investigator, soon an entire ring of corrupt peacekeepers under the leadership of Captain Patrick Simmons was uncovered, its members imprisoned or executed based on their crimes. While Security rooted corruption out, Military strove to bring up training standards and equipment quality. Although the Admiral resented that Security had to be brought in to make up for her failures, the end results were undeniable- a newly revitalised peacekeeper force efficiently cracking down on crime in Vega.

A request for Director-General Jane Weiss to become the guardian of the daughter of a foreign duke was summarily denied. Jane was already serving as guardian to her young niece Alice, Prudence and Romeo's six-year-old daughter, and she had no intention of giving up the responsibility of helping to educate the next generation of House Weiss.

The continued efforts of House Weiss Administration and of Houses beneath House Weiss continued to bear fruit, with a port station built at the edge of Haldus and a major refueling depot in Kastra placed back in operation. The port in Haldus, in particular, allowed a stopping point for intersystem travel that did not require heading all the way in to the colony at Haldus, greatly easing shipping that passed through Haldus and easing Administration's task in holding together the far-flung empire under House Weiss. As travel grew easier and more systems began to develop exportable surpluses, trade was slowly picking up across the Weiss League, especially with the merchant-friendly policies promoted by House Weiss.

The unrest that had built at Zubenelgenubi came to a head in the first half of 2520, with Lady Eulalie Choi leading an uprising against House Shannon. The doomed uprising was swiftly crushed with the aid of the forces of several other colonies called in by Coordinator Dembe Shannon. Eulalie Choi's command frigate was amongst the ships lost in battle. Eulalie's daughter, Shoushan, was left the sole remaining member of House Choi.

What truly seized House Weiss's attention in the early part of 2520, however, was the discovery of an ancient materials laboratory on a concealed facility in the Vega asteroid belt, once operated by the Galileo Institute, but long since abandoned. It proved that the laboratory contained the equipment to fabricate a remarkably light and strong cloth called nanoweave, capable of being used as effective protection. Unfortunately, nanoweave required, as raw materials, carbon fibers beyond the ability of modern industry to manufacture. Fortunately, however, laboratory records indicated that they had a source for material in Phecda, now the seat of the Ferrell Clan, and Security followed up to discover that a cache of carbon fiber yet to be discovered by the locals still existed in the system.

Ilario Weiss was dispatched to Phecda to negotiate the purchase of this cache, which Duchess Cherie Ferrell agreed to for thirty thousand marks- all in all, an acceptable price for what this material could create.

Once the nanoweave was fabricated, it was handed over to Administration to use in patching cracks and leaks in a local facility in Vega to fabricate defense platforms. The repair work on the installation went remarkably quickly and smoothly- the primary problem with the facility had been hull compromise, and the nanoweave allowed this to easily be patched over. Soon, it was back in operation, offering both its manufacturing capability and a small amount of on-site staff housing able to be used as residential space for the colony.

The Weiss Guild and Weiss League, Early 2520

House Weiss remains at 24 members, the loss of Bella Garcia compensated by the marriage of Vanida into the House. Administration, Security, and Technology have essentially remained steady in effectiveness since two years ago, while Military has suffered greatly and Diplomacy has gained in efficiency. Of course, 'steady' effectiveness for Administration and Technology is remaining at a very high level- hardly a matter for complaint.

With corruption addressed and with training and equipment standards improved- at some notable cost- the peacekeeper force maintaining order at Vega is now more effective than ever. Crime has already begun to drop on the colony.

As a reminder, the current modifiers applying to our House are Bean Counters (an inherent bonus we got at game start, 20% bonus to our income), Strategic Secrets from Pre-Collapse Datavault (permanent, +10 to Administration, Military, and Security, and +10% to the fleet strength from Vega), Interstellar Authority Corps (permanent, +5 Military and +5 Security, thanks to Bella), Closed Tax Loophole (timed, +5% to tax collected from vassals), Science Ark Servers (timed, +5 Administration), and Elite Military Peacekeepers (timed, -4 to unrest change on Vega).

With Administration's efforts and the aid of the nanoweave, almost the whole of the colony at Vega is back in operation, and, with Jane's optimisations, productivity remains high. Vega is, perhaps, as prosperous a colony that exists in the modern era, and one for which the condition of the commoners is relatively light.

We now have every installation but the Spy Center in Vega in operation, and the Spy Center will be restored in one turn. Vega's system modifiers are Asteroid Belt (increasing damage to fleets in combat here), Restructured Production Lines (timed, with a good amount of time still remaining, +15% to income from Vega), and Structural Nanoweave Improvements (which marks that we already restored an installation here using nanoweave).

Director-General Jane Weiss has been delighted with the recent situation, and has thrown herself into applying all her energy to the service of the Weiss Guild. She has continued to make significant progress as a diplomat, a fact which has contributed to her stirling reputation. She and Mariko continue to live together happily.

Executive Director Thomas Weiss has split his recent attention between the overall operations of the Administration department and remotely managing a project to restore the large-scale hydroponics at Tseen to working order. As with other members of the House, he is very happy with the state of medical care, and with the generally harmonious relations between members of House Weiss. He is justifiably proud of his work to improve Administrations standards of accountancy and auditing, and anticipates many successful years for Administration in the future. He remains a devoted husband to Commissioner Oriole Weiss and a loving father to their children.

Admiral Carmen Weiss remains as detached and distant as ever, even as she now oversees House Weiss's Military department and a peacekeeper deployment to Hyadum- a deployment she fears will be too little to stave off revolt after the repeated food shortages there. She is far from matching her predecessors, and, to make matters worse, she appears somewhat distracted from her duties by something that has been weighing on her mind. The fact that the Director-General's military abilities are unremarkable does little to make her job easier, and stress from the recent scandals in the peacekeeper force has troubled her.

Diplomacy Director Mariko Weiss remains a loving wife and an increasingly capable leader of the Diplomacy department. Her efforts to focus on diplomatic overtures with the Pruitt Systems have borne fruit, and will likely be redirected in short order. Her brother, Oswald Fardell, just died at age 55. Although she regrets this, Oswald was a very difficult man to like, even for family, and she is not as sorrowful over this as she might otherwise have been.

Commissioner Oriole Weiss has continued to organise protection details for the Director-General alongside handling the general operations of Security and the broad direction of the anti-corruption campaign within Military. Her skills have continued to be honed by experience. She is proud of her role in helping ensure safety for the family, and anticipates continued success in the future.

Prudence Weiss remains amongst the most qualified scientists of the modern era, as well as a wife greatly devoted to her husband. Her recent achievements in producing nanoweave and overseeing the superb performance of Medical have been remarkable, and helped underline her great value to House Weiss. She has continued to provide resources to allow the Director-General to continue her education as a diplomat, at least up to this point.

Rebecca Weiss has shown remarkable progress as an administrator and modest progress in her understanding of technology and the sciences over the past two years. Her current project within Administration is overseeing the repair of the old Interstellar Authority communications and monitoring center at Vega, a project anticipated to complete within the next half year. She is deeply in love with Ilario Weiss, but has yet to fall pregnant with their first child, a matter which has caused her some concern.

Ilario Weiss has remained with Rebecca to ensure she is able to learn swiftly as an administrator, and maximise their time together so that they might be able to have a child. Although a kind and dutiful husband, he lacks the same passion as his wife.

Romeo Weiss has remained in his long-term position seeking to optimise logistics and oversee tax collection at Pulcherrima, a task which has continued to be quite profitable for House Weiss. Although not a match for Thomas or Jane as an Administrator, he is still a remarkably skilled administrator whose work meets the highest standards. He is not in love with his wife, but, as with most of the House, he is deeply grateful to her for the quality of medical care he and the rest of the House receive.

Emily Weiss has benefitted greatly from her project of improving the simulation in Albireo- her skills have noticeably increased over the past two years. She has recently been focused on directly overseeing message drone production, maintenance, and deployment, and the monitoring of communications made by message drones, but it seems likely her skills will no longer be required to keep the league's communications up to its requirements. She remains deeply in love with her husband Leslie Weiss.

Malachi Weiss has slowly grown in experience in Administration as he has continued to oversee construction and repair across the League. His currently project is the restoration of a port station at the edge of the Miaplacidus system, near the starlane entry point- a useful stopoff for travellers along the long unsettled route between Miaplacidus, Beta Eridani, or Vega and Alsciaukat. He is highly satisfied with his marriage to Geraldine, who he loves.

Noelle Garcia, as Senior Investigator at Vega, was in a key position to investigate and root out peacekeeper corruption in Security's recent operation. That, in itself, has been enough to ensure that he has done much for the good of the people of Vega. He has been single since the death of his wife Bella, but has instead focused on trying to raise his two boys as best as he can.

Leslie Weiss has been deployed as a colonel of peacekeepers at Mu Capricorni, overseeing efforts to restore order to that troubled colony, a project which has- painfully slowly- shown some success. After the death of Admiral Bella Garcia, his assignment to Military has become permanent, helping cover for the loss of personnel.

Geraldine Weiss has served as a colonel of peacekeepers at Albireo, keeping the dissent there from boiling over. The situation is slowly improving, and, perhaps, she might be able to redeploy at some point, but, for now, things remain delicate at best. She reciprocates her husband Malachi's love, making for a harmonious marriage.

Allen Weiss has just recently come of age, having developed into a shy and intelligent young well-suited for his posting in Technology. He has been assigned as a tutor to Rebecca in scientific and technical matters, where he has slowly helped her make progress. He is eager to prove his use to his House.

Vanida Weiss, Allen's new wife, combines a keen mind with a sharp temper and a vicious streak for those who draw her ire. Her skills are fairly unremarkable, but she could, potentially, be a useful recruit for Military or for Security, as she has yet to be assigned to a department.

Over the past two years, the Lindsey League has been dissolved, the Roozen Territories absorbed as a member state of the Anderson League. The Lindsey Coalition survives as a tiny independent state of two colonies between the Weiss and Anderson Leagues. The Nicholson Systems were destroyed by the revolt of the Cervantes Alliance, which was then given a hefty bribe of two hundred thousand marks to join with the Gilmore League. The Gilmore League has shrunk, however, as the Herring Union, under Governor-General Bela Fleming, has broken off from the Gilmore League to join with the Werner League- which, by now, has become one of the great powers of the colonies. Although prosperity is slowly growing across the Weiss League and order has been ensured in many places, there still remain many colonies within the League- particularly Hyadum, Tseen, and Merope- whose state of public order is near-critical. Improvement of transport has helped with the administration of an increasingly far-flung league.

The stability of the Weiss League has been slowly improved over the past two years, although much remains to be done. Now the work is being done to lay the foundation for a league that shall, hopefully, stand the test of generations.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

In addition to the usual availability of unclaimed characters (MechaCrash, do you think Vanida is suitably bloodthirsty yet, or do you want to wait for somebody else?), we must now consider our next bloodline perk, as work proceeds amongst the members of the House and its officers. Please vote even if you have no claimed character.

Under particular consideration are Diligent Serfs (+15% to income from Vega), as we work to reform conditions for the commons at Vega and thereby boost productivity, Technologist Bloodline, (+10 to House Technology rating) as we seek to step up study of ancient technology and improve scientific literacy in the House, or Justified Taxation, which would work to reform the tax code for our vassals. Although that would have essentially no immediate benefits, it is needed for further progression in the Merchants and Administrators line. Also potentially appropriate are Disciplined House or System Leaders, cementing the reputation of our ruler with our House or with the heads of the remaining minor Houses in Vega.

Jane continues to attempt to work to provide a better incentive-based structure for the commons in Vega, counting here as a vote for Diligent Serfs

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Director-Heir Thomas Weiss posted:

Well, it seems we've finally hit the point where we need to "pump the brakes" on our expansion for a little bit. Lady Garcia taught me that phrase, it apparently referred to an archaic form of land transportation. She's going to be sorely missed. We've burned through our budget surplus repairing facilities at an unmatched pace, so we'll be shifting more focus towards tax collection for a little while. The newly-opened jail is well-timed, and should be a great boon to those efforts. Additionally, once we've managed to properly deal with unrest throughout our holdings, we should consider the possibility of raising taxes to 20% for a little while. With our current tax base, even a few years of doubled income would be a windfall. And it's not as though our vassals wouldn't benefit, most of that money would go towards repairing their installations. Frankly, they should be thanking us for using their money more wisely than they do. I mean, does Lowell Lamb think squabbling over Tseen is really the best use of everyone's resources?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Director-General Jane Weiss posted:

Do you have any thoughts on who should be reassigned to assisting tax collections? I do agree, we've burnt through most of our treasury, but it has certainly paid off.

As far as other matters, I'd like to congratulate both Prudence and Oriole for their recent superb work. Medical's attention has been absolutely top-notch, and uncovering corruption within the peacekeepers has proved the value of Security beyond any doubt. Prudence, as far as further operations for Technology, I request that at least one member of your team remain assigned full-time to assist skill development each for both Rebecca and myself, but leave details to your discretion.

Admiral Carmen Weiss posted:

I actually have a request for Administration. The situation in Hyadum is desperate, and the situation in Tseen little less so. If you could restore the Interstellar Authority base at Ross 128- or, at least, the base at Hyadum- that would go some distance to helping maintain our peacekeeper deployments to help keep the situation under control. If this is at all possible...

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Seeing as we're scaling back production for a bit, I suppose I can approve Admiral Weiss' request, and also provide general approval to other repair measures meant to counter severe unrest, where needed, until we shift back to heavy spending. As for who to have collect taxes, well, this is odd, it doesn't look like I have any current record of who is and isn't collecting taxes already, which seems like something that should be fixed. In any event, we should obviously be sending out whoever can achieve maximum efficiency. In fact, that should already be the general rule, to apply our best talent toward tax assistance, in order to bring in the most funds while expending the least manpower.

Vee2003
Jul 12, 2018

"In retrospect, flying into the black hole may have been a tactical error."
I think I'm going to have to vote for justified taxation, just because getting all the merchant bloodline stuff will unlock that extra building that will help so much.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Diligent Serfs

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Not that it's come up yet, but there is a... particular expedition that, I think, will provide us with the perfect character for MechaCrash. That said, I wouldn't mind him grabbing Vanida or somebody else appropriate if he wishes.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Oh, right, the Bloodline upgrade vote, almost missed it, Justified Taxation because the Merchants and Administrators line is what will make sure we don't immediately end up in a game-ending death spiral the moment Jane or Thomas dies.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

EclecticTastes posted:

Oh, right, the Bloodline upgrade vote, almost missed it, Justified Taxation because the Merchants and Administrators line is what will make sure we don't immediately end up in a game-ending death spiral the moment Jane or Thomas dies.

Speaking of, given the budget and the list of people in Administration, have tax assistance assignments lined up? Romeo's doing fine with the Lamb Clan, but we have other vassals.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

EclecticTastes posted:

It won't death spiral! Romeo will be in charge of Admin! It'll be fine!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

nweismuller posted:

Speaking of, given the budget and the list of people in Administration, have tax assistance assignments lined up? Romeo's doing fine with the Lamb Clan, but we have other vassals.

Given our greater priority on taxation for the moment, let's have Thomas handle the Lamb Clan personally, and send Romeo to the Patton Quadrant (hopefully Yeardley won't make it weird; or, wait, did he die yet?). We'll have Rebecca handle Beta Eridani, and send Malachi to his father's old office in Kajam, at least until/unless the Pruitt Systems obtain some additional source of wealth.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

EclecticTastes posted:

Given our greater priority on taxation for the moment, let's have Thomas handle the Lamb Clan personally, and send Romeo to the Patton Quadrant (hopefully Yeardley won't make it weird; or, wait, did he die yet?). We'll have Rebecca handle Beta Eridani, and send Malachi to his father's old office in Kajam, at least until/unless the Pruitt Systems obtain some additional source of wealth.

We can still have one person on repair duties, and probably should. Romeo's doing fine with the Lamb Clan, 100 effectiveness is capped. Maybe Romeo for Lamb Clan, Thomas for Patton Quadrant (and yes, Yardley Patton is still Duke), and Malachi to Beta Eridani, with Rebecca roving for repairs?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

nweismuller posted:

We can still have one person on repair duties, and probably should. Romeo's doing fine with the Lamb Clan, 100 effectiveness is capped. Maybe Romeo for Lamb Clan, Thomas for Patton Quadrant (and yes, Yardley Patton is still Duke), and Malachi to Beta Eridani, with Rebecca roving for repairs?

Maybe I don't understand how that job works, but, from my perspective, once repairs are underway, I'm not that concerned for how quickly they finish unless I'm itching to get the next repair job started at that location, so now that we're repairing things more gradually, I figure we may as well just go all-in on making money, and let the repairs finish up at their own pace. Does having someone oversee the repairs speed it up enough that we really need someone doing it?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

EclecticTastes posted:

Maybe I don't understand how that job works, but, from my perspective, once repairs are underway, I'm not that concerned for how quickly they finish unless I'm itching to get the next repair job started at that location, so now that we're repairing things more gradually, I figure we may as well just go all-in on making money, and let the repairs finish up at their own pace. Does having someone oversee the repairs speed it up enough that we really need someone doing it?

You actually need somebody on assignment to repair an installation, from the beginning of the repair to the end. So if we actually want to spend our money on new installations (we do) we need to reserve one or two people for repair duty. We just don't have the accumulated savings for three people to work on repairs in parallel anymore for now.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 16, 2022

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Diligent Serfs.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I'm voting Technologist Bloodline here

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

nweismuller posted:

You actually need somebody on assignment to repair an installation, from the beginning of the repair to the end. So if we actually want to spend our money on new installations (we do) we need to reserve one or two people for repair duty. We just don't have the accumulated savings for three people to work on repairs in parallel anymore for now.

Oh, I see. In that case, sure, keep Rebecca working on it.

Also, looks like it's time for our once-a-vote reminder that the Merchants & Administrators tree ends in literally the most powerful upgrade in the game (all of our colonies can at any moment spontaneously generate a new facility that boosts wealth for every colony within six jumps, cumulatively, plus we get a guaranteed one on Vega immediately).

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Anyhow, any lore points people might be interested in me exploring in a lore post? I could probably whip something up.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ilario Weiss posted:

At the risk of embarrassment, Rebecca and I have been unable to produce an heir, despite lots of practice. While it isn't critical as there is no lack of house members in the line of succession, it is always easier to have a smooth success. And if I may be so bold, a lack of an heir will undermine one of the political reasons for the marriage. So, I'd like to use some resources from Medical to assist us in this task.

Ilario Weiss posted:

I never expected to end up negotiating for a trade deal with my background. That's definitely a new one for me. Still, I think we arranged an outcome with the maximum possible honor being preserved, while also giving us access to the raw materials for this amazing fabric.

I'll vote for Diligent Serfs, to make their lives a little better.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

General Revil posted:

I'll vote for Diligent Serfs, to make their lives a little better.

Not to nitpick, but Diligent Serfs means we'd be making them work harder for our benefit.

EDIT: By the way, I just did some back-of-the napkin calculations, and while getting Diligent Serfs now may increase Vega's income by a bit less than 4 per turn, if we rush down the Admin tree, first of all, we get the immediate benefit of being able to more easily hike up taxes (which represents somewhere around 20 wealth per turn), but going back to the long game, unlocking an Intergalactic Market for just Vega will increase our income by about 5 or 6 per turn (counting the boost to our base income, as well as the increase to the tax base for the roughly twenty-five systems within six jumps of Vega*, which can vary somewhat based on the leadership's admin ratings). If a single other system within six jumps (i.e., most of our systems) procs their own Intergalactic Market, that's another 3 to 6 wealth per turn from then on (depending on how many of our direct vassals, like Kajam or Beta Eridani, they hit, rather than vassals-of-vassals). Those outside the six-jump range are still likely to provide at least a point or two in total, through taxes. After this one, we're only two unlocks away from being truly the richest people in all of space. And as we've seen, having an embarrassing budget surplus hasn't just been good for administration, it's what's also allowed us to invest in opportunities presented by other departments, so we can more thoroughly explore the Technology storylines, and get those sweet Military/Security bonuses from paying for special training, and pay off diplomatic partners. A vote for money is a vote for everyone!

*And this assumes we don't end up absorbing any of the McCoy Dominion in the meantime, which would increase that number quite a bit, and there's certainly precedent for vassals just falling into our laps.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 17, 2022

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Commissioner Oriole Weiss posted:

I'd like to see Ms. Vanida in Security. She can start with the Archon's Protective Detail, and we can consider if there's any Spy Networks we might want to run on really thorny / pesky neighbors. Or do we have any more secrets to suppress?
In favor of Justified Taxation
What's the next system on our list to bling out with improvements?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Looking over my records, it looks like repairs in Nashira, Alhena, Merope, Mu Capriconi, or Hyadum are all marked as high-priority. Tseen, as well, but repairs are already ongoing in that sector. Seeing as we're focusing on shoring up our fundamentals at the moment, let's make sure to only conduct repairs in those sectors for the time being, once our ongoing repair projects wrap up, including the recently-approved repairs at Ross 128, until they're no longer at risk of famine. Once the people are well-fed, I imagine Security will have fewer worries about uprisings.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

EclecticTastes posted:

Not to nitpick, but Diligent Serfs means we'd be making them work harder for our benefit.

Given that Diligent Serfs is on the Popular Support track and some stuff down in the weeds of events in the game, I think the intent by Glen is very much that Diligent Serfs reflects better conditions and lives for the serfs that also makes the serfs more productive. (The serf housing crisis, for instance, if it ever triggers (not super likely for us) grants a similar income bonus as a benefit for investing in the conditions of the serfs, ensuring better motivation on their part.)

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

A happy serf is a productive serf, after all, because a happy serf is a serf who's busy working for their lord and not trying to figure out which insecure airlocks you'll be near.

For taking Vanida, I think I will hold off for that perfect character, because I suspect that whatever Vanida winds up doing will require a level of tact that, as you have seen, I do not really employ here. And while I exaggerate for (hopefully) comedic effect, I really do play games of this nature for the military side of things and use diplomacy to buy time for building super doom fleets. Dropping me in this game is handing a bicycle to a fish and saying "okay buddy have fun at the Tour de France," but it sounds like you're ready to write around what I will euphemistically call "certain militaristic tendencies" of mine. I would not seriously push for "Lindsey has two systems let's just take 'em" but, y'know. I am sure someone would want to put on the table that we're rich as hell and can probably afford a lot of ships and they can't, and Vanida doesn't strike me as the type who'd do that unless the Lindsey Coalition did something to make her think "fuckers got it coming."

A long winded way of saying "thank you but this is Diplomacy: The Game and I suck at that" but hey there you go. :v:

As for that nanoweave, the thing that kind of confuses me is how is there enough that you can make one protective suit or patch up an entire colony? I suppose it's "nanoweave is so rad you only need a square inch or two for patching up problem areas," but who knows. I assume the protective suit makes you harder to assassinate, but I'm especially curious what the "unique garment" does.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Commissioner Oriole Weiss posted:

I have an idea now for Vanida, if I may claim her for security.
Protective Details are free training, and we need some Heir Defense. I propose assigning her to protect Thomas and his Administrative Super Skills (A97).

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
The Leagues of the Known Colonies, Early 2520

As of early 2520, the Weiss League is one of five leagues that dominate the local colonies, although House Weiss has reason to believe at least two more leagues exist beyond the colonies it has accurate information on. These four other leagues represent the Weiss League's primary competitors and its peers.

The Gilmore League

The Gilmore League was initially founded by House Gilmore of the Gilmore Guild, but passed into the hands of House McCoy of the McCoy Dominion following the dissolution of the Gilmore Guild and the reduction of its Director-General to Colonial Director of 94 Aquarii. The Gilmore League comprises seventeen colonies and four member states, the largest of which is also its leading state, the McCoy Dominion. House McCoy charges higher taxes on its vassals than House Weiss, although still relatively moderate, and appears to have regained enough popularity with its vassals to once again be reasonably stable following recent upheavals. House McCoy has a superb Administration department, relatively strong Military, Diplomacy, and Technology departments, and a fairly mediocre Security department. Only its Military department currently outperforms House Weiss, even despite the general stupidity of Duke-Consort Admiral Makya McCoy- and even despite the excellence of House McCoy's Administration, it is far outperformed by House Weiss's, which is nothing short of legendary. Like House Weiss, inheritance in House McCoy passes to the oldest child of the previous ruler, regardless of gender. House McCoy has reasonably good legitimacy as Dukes of the McCoy Dominion, but has dubious legitimacy at best as archon of the Gilmore League.

The yellow stack of coins icon on the screen for House McCoy indicates it's running moderate taxes, taking a 20% take from its vassals, and gaining neither the opinion bonus we've been getting for light taxes or the penalty from heavy taxes. The white star with a plus icon indicates the ruler of House McCoy has a weak claim to be Duchess of the McCoy Dominion, compared to having no claim, as House Weiss currently does. Checking each member state of the league individually, the McCoy Dominion has no claim to be the master of any of them, as opposed to the weak claim the Weiss Guild has to be the master of every state in the Weiss League, other than the White Federation, which the Weiss Guild has no claim to be master of.

Leane McCoy, Duchess of the McCoy Dominion and Archon of the McCoy League, is a woman of 55 years of age, married to Makya McCoy, age 61. She is a personable and unpretentious woman who downplays her great status, a trait which many find rather appealing, although her generally poor health and frail constitution renders her less respected. She is reasonably well-rounded as a ruler, being a notable administrator, a fully-competent diplomat, and fairly well-versed in intrigue and security, while having at least basic competence in the sciences and military matters. Her poor health and relatively advanced age make it fairly likely she shall soon by succeeded by her son Tumo Calderon, who has married into the distant House Calderon of the Calderon Guild, beyond the Werner League. Tumo Calderon, age 36, is an absolutely masterful diplomat, but otherwise unremarkable or downright incompetent in the other skills needed of a ruler.

Leane McCoy is Humble, Friendly, and Sickly- Sickly adds +300% chance per turn to become ill, and +5% chance to have childbirth complications, as well as reducing reputation by 14. Sickly is a very painful trait to have.

The home colony of House McCoy, Albali, is significantly less developed than Vega, although it is prosperous enough and has enough access to large amounts of cheap synthohol from Gliese 687 to greatly slow the accumulation of social pressures that might lead to revolt. It has a productive hydroponics station increasing food production, extensive warehousing facilities that allow secure storage of significant amounts of goods, powerful orbital defenses original installed by the Interstellar Authority, and sophisticated VR and communications facilities in operation.

The Shannon League

The Shannon League is the other league with immediate borders on the Weiss League, but House Weiss nonetheless is significantly less familiar with its interior. The Shannon League comprises eleven colonies and three member states, with six of these eleven colonies within the Shannon Collective itself. This leaves it as the smallest of the known leagues, although not necessarily the weakest overall. House Shannon enjoys nearly ironclad legitimacy in its rule, although its practise of levying very heavy taxes on its vassals is distinctly unpopular. All its departments but Military have quite strong effectiveness and efficiency, especially Diplomacy, although none are so outstanding as to engender great comment. Even its Military department is reasonably competent. It enjoys stronger Military and Security departments than House Weiss, but is mildly (in the case of Diplomacy) or very (in the case of Administration and Technology) less effective in the other three departments. Inheritance passes to the youngest child of the previous ruler in House Shannon.

The gold star with the check mark indicates that House Shannon's ruler has a strong claim to head the Shannon Collective, while the red pile of coins indicates they're running heavy taxes with a 30% cut from their vassals, with an attendant opinion penalty for vassals. House Shannon appears to have a strong or weak claim for its vassal states and for every colony we can check, making them quite stable in terms of legitimacy.

Dembhe Shannon, Coordinator of the Shannon Collective and Archon of the Shannon League, is outgoing, unpretentious, and prone to holding very long grudges when his ire is raised. He is a competent administrator and diplomat, and reasonably well-versed in the other aspects of rulership. At age 61, he may have some years left in him, but doubtless his crown will pass before too very long to his daughter Lili Shannon, Chief Diplomat for the Shannon Collective. Lili is a brilliant diplomat, but otherwise lacking in the skills demanded of a ruler. Keir Weiss has been leading a diplomatic mission to Dembhe Shannon, hoping to ensure a peaceful border between the two leagues.

Dembhe Shannon is Humble, Friendly, and Vengeful.

Zubenelgenubi is the home colony of House Shannon, and enjoys abundant energy both from rich fissionable deposits and a prototype fusion reactor left over from before the Collapse. It supports an extensive chemical industry, a full-scale shipyard, a high-quality hospital, and a major synthohol production industry that enjoys significant exports help ensure that it is a prosperous colony that generates significant revenues for House Shannon. Even despite extremely cheap synthohol for the masses and good medical care, unrest is still seething here, temporarily suppressed after a recent revolt. Still, it seems likely time shall calm the situation, as underlying conditions at Zubenelgenubi are reasonably good.

The Anderson League

Although the Anderson League does not yet directly border the Weiss League, it seems likely that the buffer state formed by the Lindsey Coalition may be admitted into either the Anderson or Weiss Leagues or cease to exist due to war, at which point the two leagues shall become neighbors. The Anderson League comprises thirteen colonies and four member states, with its largest member state being the Anderson Collective, with five colonies. Although House Anderson enjoys excellent legitimacy as rulers of the Anderson Collective, it enjoys little legitimacy as the head of its league, most of its member states having been pried from other leagues. House Anderson only has four adult members and lacks heads of department for Administration, Military, and Diplomacy. All its departments have distinctly poor performance, save, perhaps, Technology, which is weak compared to other leagues in the region but not completely inept. This lack of leadership and poor efficiency is a major weakness in House Anderson. Inheritance in House Anderson passes to the closest blood relative of the current ruler who descends from a past ruler of House Anderson.

Saxen Anderson, age 57, is Coordinator of the Anderson Collective and Archon of the Anderson League. He is haughty and inflexible, with a strong and rigid sense of honor and a great insistence on his lofty position. Despite his insistence on his status, he is relatively content and satisfied, placing little importance on further increasing his wealth and power. Instead, his love is granted to the sciences and the study of ancient technology, and he has become a very notable scientist. He is likewise a competent diplomat, and reasonably well-grounded in the other aspects of rule, through long experience. His heiress and younger sister, Baron-Consort Mara Ferrell, is a skilled diplomat and enjoys a basic grounding in the sciences.

Pherkad, the home colony of House Anderson, seethes with unrest, although it is still some way from open revolt. Still, unless House Anderson attends to the situation, open revolt is eventually inevitable. A solar station close to the system primary and a repair platform allowing maintenance on civilian and military shipping help provide revenue for House Anderson, while extensive barracks facilities, training grounds, and armories serve to support extensive personnel for its Military Department and a sophisticated communications center handles its diplomatic traffic.

The Werner League

The Werner League is the youngest and farthest of the leagues of the known colonies, only having been founded as a league three years ago, only two years after the Werner Dominion rebelled against the Calderon League and became an independent state. Since then, it has grown dramatically, comprising sixteen colonies and four member states. The largest member state of the Werner League is the Herring Union, with six colonies, with the Werner Dominion following with five colonies. House Werner has ironclad legitimacy as dukes of the Werner Dominion, and varying levels of legitimacy for its vassal states, ranging from a similarly ironclad claim as masters of the Fry Kingdom to no legitimate claim at all to be masters of the Herring Union. Its taxes are moderate, and its departments are competently but generally unremarkably led. Its line of succession passes to the youngest child of its current ruler.

Dallon Werner, the young Duke of the Werner Dominion and the man who built the Werner League up, assumed the ducal crown at age 17, six years ago. He is a reasonably competent diplomat and not entirely without military ability, but is distinctly lacking in experience and skill overall. His strong sense of justice and honor has served him well, while his lack of interest in wealth would have been disastrous if not for the aid of his Executive and the strong assets available at Alathfar to ease the task of his Administration department. He has built a league of remarkable scope based on little more than the skill of his subordinates, the weakness of his neighbors, his fundamental decency, and his vision of a bright future for House Werner. His daughter and heiress, Lena Warner, is a mere two years old, but Dallon Werner doubtless has many more years to rule- unless, of course, his enemies murder him.

Alathfar, the home colony of House Werner, was highly-developed before the Collapse, and has since become one of the most prosperous colonies of the modern colonies. Extensive hydroponics and food storage facilities help ensure consistent food surpluses, while waste reprocessing helps provide cheap food, water, and feedstock for its local chemical industry. An extensive data center provides the computing assets to effectively track and document the information needed by House Werner's Administration department, while an old Interstellar Authority monitoring and communications center eases the ability to effectively keep track of intercolonial communications. Fabrication facilities for defense platforms and Alathfar's position in a major nebula have traditionally been strong defensive assets for the colony, while House Weiss Security believes Alathfar may host a landing facility away from the colony proper capable of concealing a significant portion of House Werner's fleet.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

MechaCrash posted:

As for that nanoweave, the thing that kind of confuses me is how is there enough that you can make one protective suit or patch up an entire colony? I suppose it's "nanoweave is so rad you only need a square inch or two for patching up problem areas," but who knows. I assume the protective suit makes you harder to assassinate, but I'm especially curious what the "unique garment" does.

The patching up of an installation involves thin layers where the installation hull isn't airtight as a perfect sealant, whereas I presume the protective suit is thicker to effectively serve as body armor. You need more thickness for armor than just sealing air in, since the hull otherwise is serving the 'armor' role.

The protective suit helps your Military and Security ratings as a character, while the unique garments are a respect boost to reputation for you and three House members because you have the most enviable fashion.