Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TheScott2K posted:

Duke accommodated 486 havers.

"accommodated" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there but I guess playability standards were lower at the time, yeah

also depends on the 486, because oh god it's bad on a SX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Played fine on my 486. I mean, unless you were blowing up a building or a bunch of those slimes spawned, then it was a slideshow.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It ran fine on my DX2 66 but I think I got really, really lucky with that computer.

kirbysuperstar posted:

also depends on the 486, because oh god it's bad on a SX
anyone who reads about mister has probably encountered the weirdo obsessed with trying to somehow squeeze playability out of duke on the 486 core, lol

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The 7th Guest posted:

in the past, shareware episodes were distributed as separate games and I kind of wish boomer shooters did that. just launch your game as Viscerafest Episode 1, charge for that appropriately, then release Episode 2 as its own game when it's finished, and so on. then if a game never gets finished, it's not in a weird state of "well, maybe the dev will come back!" limbo

can't really do that with every game, like Blood West, Ultrakill, Graven, Glooomwood, Lunacid and Dread Delusion can't be done that way, but it definitely could've been done with Viscerafest, Turbo Overkill, HROT, Wrath, Dread Templar, etc

then again these games usually do get finished eventually. Descent Underground is the one that ain't ever getting finished

That's not really how they were distributed, though. The shareware portion (usually the first episode) was intended to be free, hence the term "shareware," and it was available to purchase for cheap only because internet access was extremely limited, and even then a shareware episode was far cheaper than a third of a game. Then the other episodes were all sold together as the full game, you couldn't just buy them piecemeal. What you're describing is closer to the episodic gaming trend of the late 2000s or so (and there are definitely a few notable examples of those never being finished and people caring very much about it).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

It ran fine on my DX2 66 but I think I got really, really lucky with that computer.

anyone who reads about mister has probably encountered the weirdo obsessed with trying to somehow squeeze playability out of duke on the 486 core, lol

I looked up the system requirements for the original on mobygames and a DX2 66 is exactly the minimum CPU, so you were good and the MiSTER silly person can keep trying fruitlessly.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Spiderdrake posted:

G*d bless their efforts

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Arivia posted:

I looked up the system requirements for the original on mobygames and a DX2 66 is exactly the minimum CPU, so you were good and the MiSTER silly person can keep trying fruitlessly.
but see mister runs at 90 mhz but doesn't have the space to replicate the FPU so maybe, somehow, just maybe...

The frustrating thing is you never know if they've heard of sourceports, so offering might resolve their issue or throw them into a furious rant. It's quite a scene.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fashion Police Squads easiest difficulty is "I'm Too Young to Dye" and well, well well off to a good foot

Edit: So the core gimmick is not one Im overly fond of, where each enemy has a corresponding weapon that must be used with it, but its not hard

Edit Edit: The secrets are the main character wearing alternate less fashionable outfits from games/other media. If youve ever wanted sexy black duke nukem, well, todays the day

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 16, 2022

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Most gamers at the time were afraid of quake

But I ain't afraid of no quake.

Yeah I know that's the joke :smugdog:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Duke3D ran fine on my 486 DX2 66 (16mb RAM too). Quake was a slideshow and Blood ran quite slow too. Duke3D was mindblowing to run with that CPU and I keep it on a special place because I could play it exclusively until I got one of my first Pentiums.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

This is tangential, but did anyone ever really find success with "episodic" gaming? Dontnod, the closest equivalent to Telltale, basically abandoned that release schedule. And we all know how things went for Telltale (bankrupt!) and Half Life (hah).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah but it just became season passes and GaaS crap. never really worked in singleplayer. the other main one I can remember was the Hitman reboot but they dropped that release model for 2/3

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I didn't love the FPS demo but I'm almost tempted to buy it solely because the devs decided to forgo the early access limbo every other game's in.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Is Fashion Police Squad the best FPS I've played? No
Does it have a joke about Lo Wang as a knockoff of Vera Wang? Yes.

The game has a small number of levels but does have some bonus missions which are pure combat. A couple of little mission loadout things too, but its not a deeply complex game.

Edit: Drip Eternal

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 16, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Guillermus posted:

Duke3D ran fine on my 486 DX2 66 (16mb RAM too). Quake was a slideshow and Blood ran quite slow too. Duke3D was mindblowing to run with that CPU and I keep it on a special place because I could play it exclusively until I got one of my first Pentiums.

It didn't in my 486 dx2 66mhz with 4mb of ram...

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

yeah but it just became season passes and GaaS crap. never really worked in singleplayer. the other main one I can remember was the Hitman reboot but they dropped that release model for 2/3

I was going to say; if posters in this thread think EA is bad, just look back at how much moaning there was for a game like Hitman 2016's episodic model.

Episodic releases actually worked very well for Hitman. Each level had so much to find and routines to learn and exploit, but you wouldn't know that from the review bombing it received as a result.
They dropped it for the trilogy's subsequent games (I think also partly due to lots of background drama, such as Eidos dropping IOI), but they then had to deal with the hangover of changing the plan midstream: the games are without doubt some of my favourite of the last decade, but they are probably the most confusing to buy. Just go look at how many editions there are on Steam. Barely a page passes in the Hitman megathread without someone asking just simply how to buy Hitman 3.

In other news, after a year on the waiting list my Steam Deck has finally shipped. Looking forward to playing Blood and System Shock on the go.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

It didn't in my 486 dx2 66mhz with 4mb of ram...

It needed at least 8mb of ram to run somehow decently at 320x200. When I got the other 8mb it ran perfectly. I could up the resolution a bit but with framerate drops.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Duke3D shareware could scrape by with 4MB, registered needed the extra ram.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

Duke3D shareware could scrape by with 4MB, registered needed the extra ram.

Was this related to the level complexity, or just the size of the resources for three episodes was a bit too much to handle at once?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I was going to say; if posters in this thread think EA is bad

it's

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The final boss of Fashion Police Squad is brutal. Its what I get for playing on Hard but yezelu cristu its a fight where you're entirely on the timer of an AI and the game does not care if that syncs up with you getting mauled and in a fight where you need air control and everything is both preventing you from getting in the air and moving you around in it into death below.

13 main levels
3 bonus stages

Final review is its fun and fine, I'd play a sequel, but the core dedication of this enemy must be used on this weapon really hurts it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1294420/Rollerdrome/

the interest in ultrakill and other movement-based shooters probably means this might get some interest as well. it's third person but basically functions kind of like tony hawk mixed with unloading a shotgun into some dude's gut in the name of bloodsports

also: it's a full release and not early access!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I was going to say; if posters in this thread think EA is bad, just look back at how much moaning there was for a game like Hitman 2016's episodic model.

Episodic releases actually worked very well for Hitman. Each level had so much to find and routines to learn and exploit, but you wouldn't know that from the review bombing it received as a result.
They dropped it for the trilogy's subsequent games (I think also partly due to lots of background drama, such as Eidos dropping IOI), but they then had to deal with the hangover of changing the plan midstream: the games are without doubt some of my favourite of the last decade, but they are probably the most confusing to buy. Just go look at how many editions there are on Steam. Barely a page passes in the Hitman megathread without someone asking just simply how to buy Hitman 3.

Yeah as somebody who recently started playing the series for the first time (H3 + all of the content from H1 & H2) and has been working my way through everything, there is a staggering amount of content in each level/episode. I had to take a break about halfway through (I've left off on the second half of Hitman 2) because--even though I've been enjoying Level-20 mastering each episode--I had accrued about 175 hours of playtime in the process. It's nuts.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There is now more ULTRAKILL than there was roughly an hour ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cez03VGm_AA

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

I respectfully counter that it is good. Without EA there likely wouldn't be a Dusk, Ultrakill, Gloomwood etc.

It's a drag waiting for the full release, sure, but at least there is a release.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I really like Ultrakill but its really hard on my old man tendons in a way most fpseses don't

(Viscerafest is another one, I think it's all the dashing??)

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Quakecon sale on Steam! I picked up Rage 2 for ten bucks because why the hell not. If anything the open world should be better. . . right?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Grimthwacker posted:

Quakecon sale on Steam! I picked up Rage 2 for ten bucks because why the hell not. If anything the open world should be better. . . right?
Not really. The abilities are pretty fun but the rest of the game is thoroughly mediocre. And it still doesn't know what its tone should be.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Grimthwacker posted:

The open world is totally pointless but the actual gameplay is really really good. Make a dash for all the power upgrades and the glider and then the game becomes great.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
https://twitter.com/grandpapapanda/status/1559572801027280899

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Quake 2 ports when!!!!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So in Ultrakill with the coin are you supposed to try shooting the coin itself or just fire when it shines mid toss?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you shoot the coin to make it reflect into an enemies weakpoint, but if you shoot it when it shines it will split into two bullets and hit two enemies, either way you have to hit the coin for it to do anything

the coin has a ton of interactions you can play with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7j8ekOaI0M&t=40s

e: that video isn't even exhaustive anymore, they added the ability to throw coins at hitscan enemies to reflect their own attacks back at themselves

repiv fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 16, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Quake 2 ports when!!!!
The pessimist In me says it's not happening because they wouldn't put Quake II on sale for $1.99 right before announcing a remaster. They'd full price that poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sounds like the exact time to do it :pray: get the suckers (me) to triple dip on the console ports

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Quake 2 ports when!!!!

After Heretic is done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
What's up with Heretic II anyways? I didn't buy it when it came out for reasons I can't remember and it appears to have never been digitally published. Activision hell?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Spiderdrake posted:

It ran fine on my friends 486 DX2 66. It ran like absolute poo poo on my 486 SLC2 66. As a stupid uneducated young teen, I didn't understand why.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The pessimist In me says it's not happening because they wouldn't put Quake II on sale for $1.99 right before announcing a remaster. They'd full price that poo poo.

If there was a legacy version of Quake II on xbox, playstation, and switch right now that was also marked down to $1.99 I'd agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I got all the classic Quakes free on Steam due to the Bethesda launcher dying.:cool: