Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
The women with the autistic son trying to raise her two kids to make up for her having no plans for Jack after they pass away is some classic 'how do I ruin the family for ey and cause festering lifelong resentments' poo poo

She couldn't have done worse if she was trying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

The thing that's particularly wild to me in that one is the son is only 11 and doesn't seem to have behavioral or mobility issues that make it impossible for his parents to care for him right now. It would be one thing if he was 25 and his parents were both in their 70s but it sounds like the poster still has time to do some serious research on future housing solutions for the son, she just... would rather alienate her other two children instead, and ultimately end up with a situation where all her children are miserable, including the autistic son because I'm sure he also would rather not be cared for by a sibling who resents him?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

StrangersInTheNight posted:

The women with the autistic son trying to raise her two kids to make up for her having no plans for Jack after they pass away is some classic 'how do I ruin the family for ey and cause festering lifelong resentments' poo poo

She couldn't have done worse if she was trying

"Whatever plans you have, you're going to have to put on hold because I'm going to burden you with 24/7 care for your brother. Also, if you grumble about it, I will scream like a banshee at you about it."

Yeah, nah, gently caress off, mum.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

Content, I just found the tone of this post funny:

AITA for not caring or saying that my apartment is "haunted" to a new roommate?

This person sounds rad, I'd be their roommate

"Casper's silly toy playing rear end" :lol:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

The thing that's particularly wild to me in that one is the son is only 11 and doesn't seem to have behavioral or mobility issues that make it impossible for his parents to care for him right now. It would be one thing if he was 25 and his parents were both in their 70s but it sounds like the poster still has time to do some serious research on future housing solutions for the son, she just... would rather alienate her other two children instead, and ultimately end up with a situation where all her children are miserable, including the autistic son because I'm sure he also would rather not be cared for by a sibling who resents him?

:20bux: says she is also not using any of the available community support options or even considered filing for disability because "ONLY FAMILY CAN HELP FAMILY."

And with the comment of "he's not violent at all" another :20bux: says JackJake absolutely destroyed several/many of the older kids' possessions as a toddler.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

My brother audited a large old school English company directors expense accounts (something about another firm having paid for hookers and blow on expense accounts for years had all of them auditing accounts). The guy on millions of pounds a year submitted his handwritten and duly receipted expense claim for cups of tea he had whenever out of the office for a pound or two each and every time.

At work we get business class travel home and due to roster, that meant about four trips a year costing about $US8 - $US10k each. Company policy was that you could spend it on other flights and for family - a few of us that didn't fly home each rotation would travel the world comfortably with the policy and I flew my parents on their first international flight in 40 years Singapore Airlines Business class. It was sweet and it was pretty loose. A lot of the time the full amount was not claimed but a few times they were over and it was all good.
We had a new Commercial manager that changed the rules to include stuff other than flights (hotel rooms, etc)* and it become known that he made sure he hit every last cent every rotation. Then a number of other guys got in on it and then they worked out that if they waited as late as possible to quote up their home flight, they could get even more money to then proudly with spreadsheets present to our former accountant GM claiming every last penny! How sweet is this? Yes, they changed the policy and the new commercial manager got sacked. Happily for me I got grandfathered in on the original rules and flew my family business class for years afterwards but that was a special deal.

*because then his wife would not see the hotel rooms, tours, meals etc for his mistress come out of his salary.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Electric Wrigglies posted:

My brother audited a large old school English company directors expense accounts (something about another firm having paid for hookers and blow on expense accounts for years had all of them auditing accounts). The guy on millions of pounds a year submitted his handwritten and duly receipted expense claim for cups of tea he had whenever out of the office for a pound or two each and every time.
somehow if this was any other nationality/expense I would be like "what a Scrooge" but it's actually hilarious to me that he's just like "got a cuppa, gotta get my pound back pip pip"

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
AITA for having a craving of something that makes my partner sick?

quote:

I (25f) recently found out I was pregnant with my partner Lyle's (26m) baby. We've been together for three years and we live together.

Lyle has ADHD, which he refuses to get treatment or medication for. He's pretty normal about 85% of the time, so I haven't really pushed it. One thing that really affects him though is sensory problems. He has a few, but the biggest one is bananas. He cannot stand the smell of a banana or the taste of banana. He's accidentally eaten something with banana before and ran to the bathroom like a child to throw it up. If we are somewhere and someone is eating a banana, he will claim that he can smell it in the room and make us move with the threat that he will get sick. If we don't move, he will start gagging, make himself throw up, and I've seen him start shaking too. This has happened in public before and its extremely embarrassing.

Anyway, let me tell you what happened. I was really tired, pregnant, and hormonal yesterday and while I was watching my show I had a craving for a banana, which I normally avoid when around Lyle, but pregnancy cravings are just too strong to resist. He was going to get groceries from work, so I called and asked him to get me some bananas because I was having a craving. He started begging me before he even got them to not eat them in the house, and I just got fed up and told him no, that I was carrying around his child, and the least he could do about it since he's not the one having to nurture the drat thing in his stomach was get me a banana. I'd read online that this was probably the baby's way of telling me its deficient in potassium, and that all I could really stand to eat at this point was the drat banana, and I don't want to deprive it of what it needs. He argued back and forth asking me to go eat it outside at least, and out of frustration I just started crying, which made me feel embarrassed. He finally gave in to calm me down and brought it home.

I'll admit, I was still really mad and upset from our argument on the phone when he came home, and I in that moment couldn't face getting up and going to the kitchen. When he came into the living room and sat on the couch, I asked him to peel it, cut it, and bring it to me. I really didn't think that was a big deal, but he blew up at me and told me that I "knew" it made him "sick" to even smell or touch. I told him that plenty of people have foods they don't like, and he either needs to grow up or seek help for his illness because he's acting like a child and his problem with bananas is completely abnormal. We argued a bit more, and he finally got up, yelled that he was "tired of my bullshit", and left the house. He hasn't been back yet.

I get his issues are a sensitive topic for him, and when I was talking to my friend about it, she said she had an autistic sister and what I did was a bit messed up. So Reddit, AITA?

Why not make him eat some of the banana while you're at it?

Also, this dude has untreated ADHD and literally the only thing that bothers you is his aversion to bananas?? Do you not notice how loving annoying we get when we're not medicated? Are there not a million and one half-started projects scattered around the house? Don't you miss long and thoughtful conversations about a single topic? Christ what I could do if my only symptom of ADHD were "not liking bananas".

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 16, 2022

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't think craving bananas is your unborn baby wanting potassium

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, like... is it really necessary for her to justify it as "well the baby needs it because I'm craving it", she's pregnant, she's allowed to just say "I'm craving x because of all these crazy hormones."

His banana aversion does seem extreme to the point where it seems like he might need some better coping mechanisms for it, but making him cut the banana for her seems super passive aggressive when it's extremely easy to peel and eat a banana by yourself, while remaining on the couch, assuming you have full use of your hands, which I assume she does or it probably would have come up in the post.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Who the gently caress cuts up a banana to eat it unless they're doing so as to make it an ingredient in a recipe?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

Yeah, like... is it really necessary for her to justify it as "well the baby needs it because I'm craving it", she's pregnant, she's allowed to just say "I'm craving x because of all these crazy hormones."

His banana aversion does seem extreme to the point where it seems like he might need some better coping mechanisms for it, but making him cut the banana for her seems super passive aggressive when it's extremely easy to peel and eat a banana by yourself, while remaining on the couch, assuming you have full use of your hands, which I assume she does or it probably would have come up in the post.

Yeah, it's absolutely something he should get some help with just to make his life easier. Oh poo poo, another person has entered the ring!

quote:

Hey guys, its Kyle here, Jessica's boyfriend. Yes, she literally changed my name from "Kyle" to "Lyle" and thought that was good enough. One of her friends sent me this and I want to set the record straight because I am beyond pissed off.

First of all, I want to address this "refused to get treatment or medication" bullshit. I was diagnosed with ADHD as a loving child. It took until college to realize I needed to adapt things to how my brain worked rather than slap a medication over it and try to pretend I'm neurotypical. I adapt well in life. I graduated on the dean's list in college and I'm doing well at my dream job and thriving as a ND person. Do I still forget about the laundry sometimes, or have a hard time focusing on certain thigns, especially when I'm tired? Yes, and it pisses Jess off. Does mean I have "issues"? gently caress no.

This medication bs started almost immediately after we found out Jess was pregnant like a month ago. It wasn't approached like "hey Kyle, I notice xyz that seems to be hard for you, I think you need help with that". I was instead first asked if my ADHD was going to "spread to the baby" (literally "spread" was used), and second told that I should probably "take this as a chance to get it under control", because she "didn't want the baby to grow up dealing with any problems".

Now let's get to the sensory aversions. I have been through therapy to manage it (I can now, after years, touch paper towels without my gums hurting), but bananas I just cannot deal with. People who aren't ND and don't deal with sensory aversions don't understand that it is literally physically painful in many cases, and genuinely makes me sick. I don't "make myself throw up". My body naturally reacts like that. Jess has told me many times how embarrassed she is by it and how it affects her, and her solution is exposure therapy. What she doesn't realize is that's essentially the same thing as torture to me. There are some cases (like the paper towels) where I've realized its just a little too common, but bananas are not common enough for me to sit there and torture myself just to make her feel less embarrassed next time she wants me to try a smoothie her sister makes and lie about the ingredients.

Finally, other details I think are important. I'm just going to bullet these because I'm going to write too much otherwise.

Jess was binge watching a show on Netflix and wanted me to bring her a banana while she watched the show on the couch. We are in a 1 bedroom apartment and the smell would probably be there at least for a day.

We had gotten in an argument about my ADHD and me not having meds (see p.2 and 3) the day before, so this didn't seem like a sudden craving but more a cruel jab since it was still tense.

The pregnancy wasn't planned, and no, random commenter, I didn't loving rape her. She was on birth control and it failed.

She wasn't "too sick" to get up. She was too lazy, and pissed, and told me to go cut it for her "because I just want to watch my show in peace".

I'll admit, I snapped when she insisted I cut the banana, and do "just this one thing for our child to show I care", as if she didn't go out and quit her job pretty much immediately without even telling me, and I'm now dealing with all the household expenses while she shops. I've also been caring for most of the house, because she's already claimed being "too pregnant" from morning sickness. So yes, I was fed up with her bullshit.

ADHD is not an "issue". It just means my brain works a little different. I'm so tired of the ablelist bullshit that's come from nowhere.

Tl;dr: Get over yourself.

Edit: I didn't realize bananas were such a common aversion. Everyone always told me it was weird. I say we outlaw bananas?

quote:

"Lyle" here. So my ADHD is treated. Just not to my girlfriend's liking.

I've worked a lot on adaptation and I do well and am successful in what I do. On the contrary, Jess sits on the couch and does nothing all day. I have a history of reacting poorly to medication, too. The sensory aversions are very difficult to get rid of, and vague 'treatment" isn't a magic solution or guarantee that it'll just go away.

This all started after she got pregnant and did a 180 as far as personality goes. Suddenly, it became all about how I'm going to "spread" it to my child and make their life awful. All because...I can't deal with bananas and I sometimes forget to change out the laundry or reply to a text...

quote:

Oh don't worry, I have this whole thing saved already because I'm sure I'll need it in the future and I'm about 95% sure I'm done with the relationship.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Desert Bus posted:

Who the gently caress cuts up a banana to eat it unless they're doing so as to make it an ingredient in a recipe?

no one, she was being a deliberate arsehole because she refuses to respect his aversion. Pregnancy is just plausibly deniability.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im not an expert but im pretty sure you can't meditate your way out of chemical imbalances

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Grape posted:

Most of all I'm... how severe is the autism? Being aspergy with ADHD in of itself... like I work with a bunch of kids with that exact mix and they got problems like heck, but not "needs one on one personal care for life" or even close to it.

Like it has to be really severe autism? Or mom is exaggerating, and/or fostering helplessness in Jack. Which would make all of this even grosser.

EDIT: Also, Jay has proven he isn't selfish by getting in behind his meeker sister to make sure she could be represented in this as well and not have her be run over by mom.

There are some people with autism who do indeed need 24/7 care their entire lives. It's a spectrum and it can be way more severe than "aspergy with adhd". It's rough! I've met a few and the families frequently self destruct over it. I think therapists typically suggest finding long term assisted living solutions early because otherwise the "parents (or parent, divorce is common) care for the person until they die, at which point the long since alienated siblings want nothing to do with the situation" pattern is pretty common.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

I have ADHD and feel pretty much exactly the same as that guy about bananas, so even without the extra context I can completely sympathize with him.

And yeah I'm pretty sure there's no evidence to support a link between craving and deficiency.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

pregnant OP sounds like she has been getting some very bad advice in general

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
even if the baby undeniably wanted potassium, like kicked out a request in morse code, mom could have had an avocado or something

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Foo Diddley posted:

even if the baby undeniably wanted potassium, like kicked out a request in morse code, mom could have had an avocado or something

Or said "thanks for getting these honey, I really appreciate it" and then stood up from the couch and gotten her own drat banana.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Both of those people sound exhausting

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
one has a brain thing and the other chooses to be a jerk

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
good thing they've got a baby on the way; not even a breakup can keep them apart now

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Upgrade posted:

Both of those people sound exhausting

That's how I feel about people with peanut "allergies". Jeez, we get it, you'll "die" if you eat "anything" with just a tiny bit of "peanut oil" on it, whatever :rolleyes: Stop making such a big deal about what I mix when I'm cooking, and get over here so I can satisfy my peanut butter craving by licking it off your bare fingers

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for trying to maximise my meal allowance on my business trip?

Goddamn, at least $120 on food every day?

I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for the company cause they set the high limit, but still.

As a frequent business traveler, just claim the per diem rate? I've never spent all the way to the per diem rate. And I think ours are government rates, so they're not especially generous even. I think in the last year I've seen as high as $220/day for Reykjavik and as low as $81 for Cape Town, and both of those were more than enough. Just claim that and gently caress itemizing?

I mean, do people do itemized expenses for basic poo poo like that?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Yeah I worked for a place with a food allowance, but required me to submit receipts for everything and would reimburse me for what was spent rather than just giving me X$*Ydays. It was pretty annoying.

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 16, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

Yes.

Per diem is not a thing every company just does. In particular in most countries you (the company) can't write that off as a business expense, which is why the receipts are required.

misguided rage posted:

Yeah I worked for a place with a per diem, but required me to submit receipts for everything and would reimburse me for what was spent rather than just giving me X$*Ydays. It was pretty annoying.

That's not at all a "per diem" and just the maximum allowable amount you can expense per day.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

ReidRansom posted:

As a frequent business traveler, just claim the per diem rate? I've never spent all the way to the per diem rate. And I think ours are government rates, so they're not especially generous even. I think in the last year I've seen as high as $220/day for Reykjavik and as low as $81 for Cape Town, and both of those were more than enough. Just claim that and gently caress itemizing?

I'm a frequent traveler for a major corporation and we don't have per diem, it's just "whatever's reasonable." But we don't have to have a receipt for under $50 per meal, so I either keep it just under $50 or have them run $49 on my corporate card and pay the rest myself to avoid needing the itemized receipt.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i was never told how much i can spend on meals or client entertainment and i aint ever gonna ask. as long as my expense reports keep going through.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Motronic posted:

That's not at all a "per diem" and just the maximum allowable amount you can expense per day.

You caught me mid edit! But yes I agree.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
lol i just looked it up.

there are no limits of any kind lol.

this is a multi billion dollar corp and im positively frugal unless i have a whole bunch of people with me.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

misguided rage posted:

Yeah I worked for a place with a food allowance, but required me to submit receipts for everything and would reimburse me for what was spent rather than just giving me X$*Ydays. It was pretty annoying.

I had to do this too, plus just a receipt wasn't enough, I had to put in an itemized list of food and who I was with (presumably if I was with a client I would be able to get away with more?) which seemed like a lot of hoops to jump through. Still, at that point I was committed to get my money back for "One (1) frozen pizza, eaten alone".

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I guess I maybe underestimate how generous our travel policy is. I don't think we even need a receipt for any single expense under $75 while traveling.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i have literally filed an expense report for like several thousand dollars worth of tequila, in guadalajara closing out a bar for a project close.

i cant imagine being asked about who drank what

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

i have literally filed an expense report for like several thousand dollars worth of tequila, in guadalajara closing out a bar for a project close.

i cant imagine being asked about who drank what

This sounds like a sales expense report. Or at least one at a sales-culture-heavy company. It's pretty great, I've been places like that.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i do IT stuff.

i just like to be on site for mergers/acquisitions flips etc.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Not only do I need to submit scanned receipts, but I have a hard deadline to submit them within twelve hours of my plane landing back home. This last travel I did, the twelfth hour was the middle of a federal holiday. I would have needed to drive into the office to scan and email on that holiday, and the office was closed. I submitted first thing the next day and was denied. I would have been screwed if my boss hadn't cut me a personal check for the $400 in receipts.

I'm committed to never traveling again for this org.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's like a glimpse into an alien world.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for “uninviting” my friend to my wedding after he lost his arm in an accident?

quote:

Me (32M) and my future wife Alice (25F) have been dating for 5 years. We have a mutual friend, his name is Ezra (30M). A few months ago, Ezra had an accident, he was hit by a drunk driver, he survived but he sadly lost most of his arm. Luckily, he had a great recovery and he’s doing better now.

Now, okay, let me say this. After a long conversation, Alice told me she thought that if Ezra went to our wedding after his recovery, he would take away our spotlight,and that our friends would be too focused on him. She thought that because our wedding would've been the first time all together, physically, after what happened to him. And let me tell you , everybody loves Ezra. He’s one of those insanely charming guys and he’s honestly a great person, and I do love him. I told Alice she was being silly and that’d still be our day, but that I did feel that maybe it was too much pressure for Ezra, for that very same reason, there would be too much attention on him.

I talked to Ezra the next day, and I asked him if he was comfortable about going to the wedding, and told him about Alice’s concerns too, to be fair. Ezra said “no problem man, it’s your day” and I thought that was the end of it. However, now my friend's group chat is burning cause everyone thinks I uninvited Ezra cause my wife hates him and she’s an ableist and a terrible person or whatever. Like I said, there were more factors than that and she’s not an ableist. She's under a lot of pressure because the wedding is very close and I am too. Are we assholes? AITA?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mx. posted:

AITA for “uninviting” my friend to my wedding after he lost his arm in an accident?

cut off both of the bride's arms so that she'll get more attention than the guy who only lost one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Mx. posted:

Reminds me of this classic prudence

Keeping Up Appearances

quote:

I am 27 years old and engaged to an amazing guy. When I was a little girl, my dad was involved in a really bad accident and was burned over a large portion of his body. He lost part of one limb and has some serious disfigurement. He has been a great dad and I never think about it. A few weeks ago, my fiancé started acting strange when we talked about the wedding. I asked him what was up and he avoided the question. Then his mom called me out of the blue and told me that she didn’t think that my dad should come to the wedding. She thinks that he will upset the guests and “traumatize” any children who might be there. She is suggesting that we have a private family ceremony before the big blowout. I got upset and my mom asked why. When I told her, she said that she and my dad understand, which only makes me feel worse. Maybe my future MIL has a point, but I would really rather disinvite HER than my dad.

Your fiancé is not so amazing if in response to his mother’s outrageous, sickening request he didn’t immediately say to her, “Mom, Elise’s dad is a great person. That he has overcome a terrible trauma makes me admire him even more. You need to permanently drop this. He’ll not only be there, he’ll walk her down the aisle, and I don’t want to hear another negative word about him.” Instead, he has weaseled around, and presumably didn’t tell his mother not to make her despicable request to you—he surely knew what she was up to and didn’t even have the courage to warn you. Instead of responding to his mother, you need to talk this through with you fiancé. He should be the one to respond to his mother about this, and it’s not too late for him to make clear she is totally out of line. How he handles this will tell you if he’s worthy of becoming a member of your family. And I hope you tell your parents that if they are not both at the wedding and treated as guests of honor, you won’t be there, either.