Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Griz posted:

they've been doing this since the 90s and they've always sucked

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_YAL-1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_High_Energy_Laser

some of the naval ones have been able to destroy small unarmored drones at very close range using the entire power output of a warship

Russia claims to be using laser weapons in the Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Chemical lasers are really impractical as weapons but you do get this out of the deal

quote:

The ABL did not burn through or disintegrate its target. It heated the missile skin, weakening it, causing failure from high-speed flight stress. The laser used chemical fuel similar to rocket propellant to generate the high laser power. Plans called for each 747 to carry enough laser fuel for about 20 shots, or perhaps as many as 40 low-power shots against fragile TBMs.

laser fuel

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

the venezuelan tank looks awesome ngl

Danann has issued a correction as of 08:03 on Aug 14, 2022

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

otoh this is vietnam's tank :effort:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

deployed lasers have been chemical lasers that use huge tanks of nasty poo poo and create plumes of exhaust

all electric solid state lasers are what they want to deploy but they make too much heat traditionally so the work is on solving that problem

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

deployed lasers have been chemical lasers that use huge tanks of nasty poo poo and create plumes of exhaust

all electric solid state lasers are what they want to deploy but they make too much heat traditionally so the work is on solving that problem

make the heat bake bread so the troops get delicious hot sandwiches

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Shoot an equally powerful exhaust laser the opposite direction to balance out the thermodynamics
Now place a curved mirror apparatus to intercept the exhaust and focus it at a new target

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

redneck nazgul posted:

make the heat bake bread so the troops get delicious hot sandwiches
that's how we get panko 2.0, and thus fried chicken 3.0.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
The US will choose world war 3, Americans love choice

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Private Cumshoe posted:

The US will choose world war 3, Americans love choice

Access to affordable nuclear war

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

zetamind2000 posted:

If you start a colour revolution that operates for 3 years in a disadvantaged community

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

palindrome posted:

Shoot an equally powerful exhaust laser the opposite direction to balance out the thermodynamics
Now place a curved mirror apparatus to intercept the exhaust and focus it at a new target

:hmmyes:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Donbass Devushka posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)
Who's a good boy?

Lol...did that one guy seriously try to pet it?
(from t.me/DonbassDevushka/19199, via tgsa)

broke: spot has a gun

bespoke: spot has a rocket launcher

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://www.nature.com/articles/s43016-022-00573-0

quote:

Atmospheric soot loadings from nuclear weapon detonation would cause disruptions to the Earth’s climate, limiting terrestrial and aquatic food production. Here, we use climate, crop and fishery models to estimate the impacts arising from six scenarios of stratospheric soot injection, predicting the total food calories available in each nation post-war after stored food is consumed. In quantifying impacts away from target areas, we demonstrate that soot injections larger than 5 Tg would lead to mass food shortages, and livestock and aquatic food production would be unable to compensate for reduced crop output, in almost all countries. Adaptation measures such as food waste reduction would have limited impact on increasing available calories. We estimate more than 2 billion people could die from nuclear war between India and Pakistan, and more than 5 billion could die from a war between the United States and Russia—underlining the importance of global cooperation in preventing nuclear war.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Frosted Flake posted:

100%, I remember a lecture on blowing Sepoy mutineers from guns in Artillery School or shortly thereafter, but usually we dress it up whereas,

lmao @ colonel disney

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
also the guy on the left made me realize there are calvary guys with airborne patches

if they haven't tried putting a parachute on a horse than that mix is just bullshit

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Goast posted:

also the guy on the left made me realize there are calvary guys with airborne patches

if they haven't tried putting a parachute on a horse than that mix is just bullshit

don't be stupid

they sling them under the blackhawks

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Goast posted:

They put one on an elephant in ‘Nam how hard can a horse be?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they call a lot of things that carry people cavalry post horse era

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Real hurthling! posted:

they call a lot of things that carry people cavalry post horse era

those men are clearly on horseback :colbert:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its their dress helicopter

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I like the heart on the harness

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Goast posted:

Anecdotally from meeting Americans, they must require Air Assault, Airborne and Ranger tabs to get promoted at some point because there are a lot of people who have them who it doesn’t really make sense to need them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

Anecdotally from meeting Americans, they must require Air Assault, Airborne and Ranger tabs to get promoted at some point because there are a lot of people who have them who it doesn’t really make sense to need them.

if it works anything like the boyscouts you need a certain number of merit badges before you can gain ranks in your BP Woodsman

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
David Hackworth talked about that in "About Face", and yes, officers are expected to do stints in airborne, rangers, and the "special" schools, just as a basic expectation of career advancement and promotion paths.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

David Hackworth talked about that in "About Face", and yes, officers are expected to do stints in airborne, rangers, and the "special" schools, just as a basic expectation of career advancement and promotion paths.

It's basically cult initiation because those people aren't about to let someone who isn't a member of army skull & bones get into a position where they could cut funding for army skull & bones

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Goast posted:

Poor Freckles, everyone looked like ants below.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

I forgot the name, but there's a West Point guy who quit as lieutenant after his mandatory 5 year stint said the he never got promoted because he refused to comply to the US Army's "Officially Voluntary, Unofficially Mandatory" passive-aggressive immoral bullshit culture.

To be fair this probably isn't limited to the US military either especially when it comes regular personnel.

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

zetamind2000 posted:

If you like your Forever War you can keep it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Alamani57 posted:

If you like your Forever War you can keep it.

I didn't go to war, war came to me

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Palladium posted:

I forgot the name, but there's a West Point guy who quit as lieutenant after his mandatory 5 year stint said the he never got promoted because he refused to comply to the US Army's "Officially Voluntary, Unofficially Mandatory" passive-aggressive immoral bullshit culture.

To be fair this probably isn't limited to the US military either especially when it comes regular personnel.

It seems like a pretty great way to drain your officer corps of talent though until it is reduced to yes-men who will jump though every hoop (literal) you put in front of them.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/br4s1d4s/status/1557885237945843713

van riper strikes again

also lol at the aggressive rejection of anything not full throating ukraine

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh yeah, Russia is handing out government contracts at their army show thing.

I assume someone is probably going to do some summary and analysis of that, if they haven't already. Something people in this thread might want to look out for.

Edit

Операция Z: Военкоры Русской Весны posted:

‼️🇷🇺During the Army-2022 forum, the Russian Ministry of Defense signed a number of contracts with defense industry enterprises:

▪️A contract was signed with the Almaz-Antey All-Russian Defense Company for the delivery of the latest S-500 air defense system to the troops;
▪️ The Raduga Design Bureau signed a state contract for the production of long-range air-launched cruise missiles.
▪️The Russian Ministry of Defense and the Central Research Institute of Chemistry and Mechanics concluded a contract for the supply of guided air bombs;
▪️The Design Bureau of Machine Engineering signed a contract for the manufacture and delivery of missiles for the Iskander-M complex;
▪️The contract for the supply of 300 mm "Alloy" rockets for the Tornado-S multiple rocket launcher system was signed;
▪️All in all, 36 government contracts worth more than 522 billion rubles are planned to be signed at the forum.
(from t.me/RVvoenkor/23182, via tgsa)

Сolonelcassad posted:

Concerning new equipment for the troops, new contracts were signed at Army-2022 to supply the troops with T-90 tanks, Tiger and Tiger-M armored vehicles, BTR-82A armored personnel carriers, and the modernization of the T-80BV. Additional Ka-52M and Mi-28NM helicopters, as well as Orlan-10, Orlan-30, Eleron-3, Inokhodets and Orion UAVs will also be purchased.

The obvious need to increase the production of equipment for the needs of the Air Defense Forces (and not only) will provide a large number of enterprises with orders for years to come.
(from t.me/boris_rozhin/60705, via tgsa)

Крылья войны posted:

🇷🇺 "Army-2022. Aviation.

The Russian Ministry of Defense signed the following contracts at the forum:

✔️ With Russian Helicopters for the delivery of upgraded Ka-52M and Mi-28NM attack helicopters.
✔️ With Kronshtadt, STC and Enix for the supply of Inokhodets, Orlan-10/Orlan-30 and Eleron drones, respectively.
✔️ With the Central Research Institute of Chemistry and Mechanics for the delivery of UAB-20 guided bombs.
✔️ With the Smolensk aircraft plant for the supply of air-ship missiles.
✔️ With NPO Raduga for the supply of long-range aircraft cruise missiles.
✔️ With UAC for the supply of Su-34 frontline bombers.
✔️ With KTRV for the supply of air-to-surface and air-to-air missiles.
(from t.me/wingsofwar/13486, via tgsa)

The translation on the last one is real bad because the machine translation tools can't handle all the acronyms.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 23:49 on Aug 16, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i just contemplated the concept of old Cyrillic acronyms with it's 40+ different letters and I had to sit down

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I work with lasers and imaging but do not work in ‘defense’. I find all these laser weapons credible if their objective is to destroy optical sensors. Basically if your enemy is blind they’re back to GPS or whatever and can’t see you juking the other direction. Other poo poo, like staying on target long enough to heat up missile skins enough to fall down, meh.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Defence contractors will do more to destroy the west than Foederati.

The west will never massacre the defense contractors unfortunately.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

laser weapons seem like they’d fit into that perfect grift zone of feasible enough to keep getting contracts with proof of concept demonstrations while never actually having to deliver a final product

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ardennes posted:

It seems like a pretty great way to drain your officer corps of talent though until it is reduced to yes-men who will jump though every hoop (literal) you put in front of them.

they tend not to be yes men. but it does make them all think similarly. it differs in periods with deployments. the period before Iraq/Afghanistan is like the period now after the pull down. who stays in and who is pushed out varies between. many good people will just do the rest of their time in the reserves. some will go back to active too and use reserve time as an alternate path.

the navy is a bit different. I certainly GTFO ASAP.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Военный Осведомитель posted:

Amid the news about the contracts from the Army-2022 forum, we completely ignored the well-known circus called the "Tank Biathlon. We are correcting ourselves - a video has appeared of an Iranian tank crew driving a T-72B3 off the track and breaking one of the roadside water hoses.

@milinfolive
(from t.me/milinfolive/88877, via tgsa)

The Venezuelan crew also "didn't let up. After firing the main gun, the T-72B3 team from Venezuela began to reverse and almost caused a major accident with a full-speed T-72B3 from Kazakhstan, whose mechanic reacted in time and dodged his Bolivarian colleagues.

The Venezuelan team's overall performance was poor, even for an event like this. Many misses from both the main gun and antiaircraft machine gun, delays in firing and driving errors.

@milinfolive
(from t.me/milinfolive/88878, via tgsa)

Participants of the "Tank Biathlon" never cease to amaze with their skills. This time the crew of the great tank power Zimbabwe got lost (!) on the track and entered the field in the middle of the track.

Zimbabwe did not participate in the Tank Biathlon" the last 2 years and the current performance was one of the worst in the history of the competition - the crew from this country did not hit any of the targets and spent almost an hour for the distance (58 minutes and 52 seconds, to be exact).

@milinfolive
(from t.me/milinfolive/88918, via tgsa)

During the "Tank Biathlon," the Sudanese crew drove their T-72B3 with all their might into the side of the obstacle.

@milinfolive
(from t.me/milinfolive/88944, via tgsa)

i wonder if there's a tank biathlon fail compilation for 2021 and previous years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
why doesn't the US just roll in there with an abrams and embarrass all the countries they don't like

are they scared russia or china might do the same to them?