Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Vargo posted:

What is the joke here? Why am I supposed to believe that "trapping rainbows" is any more or less ridiculous than making matter (but only salad) appear from nothing?

Imagining a better timeline where Billingsley is the talented cartoonist to somebody else's story.

There hasn't even been a joke all week, Gunk has literal magic that solves world hunger permanently, apparently. "Just one bowl saves families loads of money!" Yes, that is the limit of this miracle bowl! Hey we just had like a month of Curtis' dad stressing out and his family being on the poverty line, I hope the strict Curtis canon accounts for this development.

Curtis is very silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
That final panel is so good.

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

panel 1 has permanently turned my graphic designer rear end against tinkersons dad

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

"And before you ask, yes, we all saw you masturbate all those times."

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

"I really want to know what's going on with the Harwoods in Rex Morgan MD."
—Nobody

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (October 27, 1934)

Peanuts (August 19, 1975)

Welcome back to "Oh for gently caress'S sake!" week at Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater

Oh, get a load of the efficiency expert over here.

Out Our Way (August 7-9, 1939)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Green Intern posted:

I thought we were free of more Lisa Tapes :(.How did she have all the time and energy to secretly film and distribute all this schmaltz while simultaneously dying of Extremely Dramatic and Righteous Cancer?

With a little luck, it'll turn out these aren't sappy messages, they're just Deep Space Nine reruns that Lisa set the VCR timer for because they came on at stupid o'clock in the morning.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Continuing my understudy duties for riderchop:

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 08, 2000)

Rae The Doe

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jucika "402 - Jucika And Preservation"

"403 - Jucika And Laundry"

quote:

Mark Trail

Rushed art week apparently, whew! Strips like these remind me of when the thread was debating the merits of working on a legacy IP and that it can pad a resume and I always imagine a future employer checking Jules portfolio for that time she couldn't draw backgrounds, hands or perspective. I guess Rex is teleporting during the conversation and much like the maligned anime side mouth, he possesses an anime side chin cleft in panel 2.

quote:

The Phantom

I hope Phantom is about to get dunked on by all the flaming skeleton dads of his lineage, which is interesting because this means Mozz is writing and knows about this. "And then you get shot and die foolishly but not before every past Phantom tells you that you were wrong to doubt Mozz, and Mozz is so cool, maybe you should invite Mozz into the skull cave more often."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doomykins posted:

Rushed art week apparently, whew!
When is it ever not?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I noticed 1-2 of the last few weeks had detailed art in almost every panel, so it's a curious pattern. As most of my theories of Mark Trail being awful are related to inability to handle a daily deadline I do wonder what the approach is. I've heard of many comic artists who do huge batches of comics months in advance. Hell, the thread jokes about Batiuk having a 6 month pick up time of current trends.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

~Coxy posted:

Crankshaft

Subtle, but meaningful.

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (August 19, 1975)

At least coyotes know how to party.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Off to a new adventure!

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

honestly i'd prefer if the strip was just 100% making GBS threads on dustin instead of the ed kudlick observational hour

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Tiggum posted:

Judge Parker

Marculiano is really bad at writing this strip.

Modesty Blaise: The Magnified Man

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (June 6-12, 1983)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There is no way in hell real babysitters have it that good.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

This Is From Green's Twitter Because It's Easier For Me To Transfer But Also This Is The Same As What's On Comics Kingdom.

Hustle And Grindset Your Way Out Of An Economic Crisis, 2009 Edition. Oof.

Uncle dog, so what.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

UrbanSitter's 2020 National Childcare Rate Survey found that, on average, parents pay babysitters $17.73 for one child, $20.30 for two children, and $21.49 for three children. Regions of course vary, but i bet you could get $30+ an hour for being available for last minute sitting.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

¡Aragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

As someone who lives in a big city: they absolutely do.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

quote:

As someone who lives in a big city: they absolutely do.

$25 an hour has me competing for bottom-of-the-barrel where I live. I've lost two of my last three babysitters to full-time nanny gigs that provided loving housing in the deal.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I don't have kids, but have friends who do who make it pretty clear they're out a minimum $100 before they leave their homes if they want to go out for dinner.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

and that's when mildred killed her, splitting the timeline

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i love that the colourist doesn't know what kimchi is either

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

IS YOUR ROOM CLEAN, YOUNG MAN?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I like how all the Phantoms are clones of each other.

Also, breezy, what the gently caress is wrong with her face in panel one.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True July 18, 1919

And He Did! August 2, 1919

Cat Tales July 2, 1925

Oaky Doaks December 25, 1936

Mopsy March 8, 1938

Sweatin’ It Out July 23, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems September 15, 1952

Those Were the Days January 25, 1962

Wee Pals September 17, 1966

Dogbert July 20, 1967

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I'm wondering what restaurant they're at that serves what appears to be plain spaghetti, (a very green) kimchi with chicken/fish, and red wine. There's no way that a place that has the first and last items has 'Pungent' kimchi.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 17, 2022

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (August 14-16, 1922)

Well, you don't get to be a breakout character if you don't break out once in awhile.

Toonerville Folks (October 30-November 1, 1919)

Dok's "The Part That Comes After 'Out Of The Frying Pan'" Duck (April 21, 1914)

Little Lefty (March 18-19, 1937)

On March 6, 1937, Secretary of State Cordell Hull made a formal apology to the German Embassy for insulting remarks New York City Mayor Fiorello La Guardia made about Adolf Hitler three days earlier. According to Haaretz (paywall link, but incognito is your friend here): "La Guardia, speaking on March 3 to the Women’s Division of the American Jewish Congress, had proposed building a 'chamber of horrors' at the 1939 World’s Fair in New York. Hizzoner suggested that the pavilion have, 'as a climax … a figure of that brown-shirted fanatic who is now menacing the peace of the world.'" La Guardia never minced words when it came to Nazis, and that was before his sister and her Hungarian husband were sent to the Mauthausen concentration camp during the war. She was fortunate enough to survive.

Anyway, back to '37, La Guardia had another stroke of fortune in that Hull's boss knew which way the wind was blowing.

Haaretz posted:

President Franklin D. Roosevelt mentioned the incident in a cabinet meeting, also on March 6. In “The Secret Diary of Harold L. Ickes,” which was published posthumously, the secretary of the interior reported that Roosevelt turned to Hull and asked him, “What would you say if I should say that I agreed completely with La Guardia?” In response, Hull said he believed Roosevelt should reprimand La Guardia. According to Ickes, “The President, still with a grin on his face, touched his left wrist lightly with the first two fingers of his right hand and remarked to Hull: ‘We will chastise him like that.’”

And another missing whatchamacallit:

Blondie From Zero (September 1-3, 1932; spoilered for the usual nonsense.)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hostile V posted:

Uncle dog, so what.

Just carrying around a bottle of Poodle Squeezings.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Green Intern posted:

Just carrying around a bottle of Poodle Squeezings.
Yeah.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True July 18, 1919

I don't understand what is happening in this Everett True at all.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Grocer has recessed bottoms on his fruit baskets so they hold less than they appear to.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Sep 22, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 3-4, 1992)

An accurate depiction of the kid mindset, lol.

Big Nate

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I'm extremely disturbed by the fact that zoos exist in Hellworld, and that schools regularly tour them. Especially because animal species are treated like human ethnic groups, and so this just makes me think of the old, exceptionally racist practice of human zoos where non-white people were kept in captivity for white people to gawk at and feel superior to.

This is just yet another in the seemingly infinite examples of "Holbrook doesn't actually think about things when he writes" but it's pretty hosed up!