Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
That last one is great. Really gets across the weirdness of the Marvel world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I've been working my way through Peter David's X-Factor after enjoying his recent work on Maestro and New Fantastic Four, and it's just great. I've seen some of these panels posted before and I know there's a well-liked bit coming up with Quicksilver at the therapist, but it's been consistently solid and amusing from issue #1. The "genetically challenged" stuff hasn't aged well, but otherwise I'm very much enjoying it.

You're probably all over it too, but he was writing Incredible Hulk at that time too, which was pretty good from memory. Hence that particular cross over.

Peter David is like Al Ewing, in that I know I'm probably going to like it if he wrote it. Or rather Al Ewing is like Peter David?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'm curious, what's the story with the random Kermit cameo?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Larryb posted:

He's being puppeted by the other Madrox. Not sure why there's a Kermit puppet in what was supposed to be an aviation museum, but there you go.

Elissimpark posted:

You're probably all over it too, but he was writing Incredible Hulk at that time too, which was pretty good from memory. Hence that particular cross over.

Peter David is like Al Ewing, in that I know I'm probably going to like it if he wrote it. Or rather Al Ewing is like Peter David?

I actually ended up coming across X-Factor first. Might go with his Hulk for my next retro read though!

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Chinston Wurchill posted:

He's being puppeted by the other Madrox. Not sure why there's a Kermit puppet in what was supposed to be an aviation museum, but there you go.

The panel just says the Smithsonian, which could be any one of like 8 or so museums, most of which are pretty close together. There is a Jim Henson exhibit in the American History Museum, so presumably he's in there and not the Air and Space Museum.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Larryb posted:

Jim Henson died the year before, and a few months before the comic came out his Hollywood Star of Fame would've been put in place, along with a Disney Muppets ride opening, so I'm guessing it's a tribute to someone who was still very much in the public consciousness.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Spidey Super Stories #49 (1980)

Blue Devil #18 (1985)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Spidey Super Stories always forget that Peter is a scientist on par with Tony Stark.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kwyndig posted:

Spidey Super Stories always forget that Peter is a scientist on par with Tony Stark.

Marvel Adventures Avengers, otoh

TwoPair posted:

I found it! It's #11

(this is the best quality I could find though)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
What a good thing that the president of that election was chosen for his immense intellect and reasonable politics, then.

But yeah, Peter would mess it up anyway.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

What a good thing that the president of that election was chosen for his immense intellect and reasonable politics, then.

But yeah, Peter would mess it up anyway.

I reiterate, the President after this was published was Ronald Reagan.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

So Super Spidey Stories Spider-Man is responsible for neoliberalism and the fall-out of the Reagan administration, especially the increased distrust of government that seems to flavour conservatism these days.

Maybe JJJ was right, just for the wrong reasons.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

evilmiera posted:

I am aware. The greatest and most smartbrained president until Trump's second election! He has aged into the role by 2024 and surpass our national hero!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Elissimpark posted:

So Super Spidey Stories Spider-Man is responsible for neoliberalism and the fall-out of the Reagan administration, especially the increased distrust of government that seems to flavour conservatism these days.

Maybe JJJ was right, just for the wrong reasons.

Unless ol' Webhead was instrumental in founding the John Birch Society, he's in the clear.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Unless ol' Webhead was instrumental in founding the John Birch Society, he's in the clear.

Have we ever seen Spider-Man and Robert Welch Jr together? I don't think so.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pretty sure nobody writes Peter to be over 35 so he can't be President anyway.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

He is also an immigrant, coming here as the last son of a planet that no longer exists.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Darthemed posted:

Weird Fantasy #7 (1994; reprints)

Sorry for being a bit off-topic, but can anyone recommend a free font that emulates that vertical (as opposed to the slight slant you see in most handwriting) old school comics lettering? I'm working on some LP art and it would work really well for the liner notes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

Ronald Reagan the actor?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Kwyndig posted:

Not after Ka-Brick!!!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Sorry for being a bit off-topic, but can anyone recommend a free font that emulates that vertical (as opposed to the slight slant you see in most handwriting) old school comics lettering? I'm working on some LP art and it would work really well for the liner notes.

https://webonastick.com/fonts/routed-gothic/ might be what you want.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

Pretty sure nobody writes Peter to be over 35 so he can't be President anyway.

Where is the long form irradiated Spider, Spider-Man? For all we know you were born on the moon as an Inhuman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Spider-Man: Life Story is a great miniseries if you want to read a story where Spider-Man isn't permanently under 35.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!

The Avengers #236 (1983)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's kinda hilarious that it took Bendis to say "we should put our most popular characters on the Avengers" forty years after Spider-Man #1 for Marvel to do it when Batman and Superman were on the Justice League before Spider-Man even existed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

It's kinda hilarious that it took Bendis to say "we should put our most popular characters on the Avengers" forty years after Spider-Man #1 for Marvel to do it when Batman and Superman were on the Justice League before Spider-Man even existed.

It'd be one thing if no one ever thought of it but it's funnier that there are several stories where there was a chance for Spider-Man to join and something goes wrong. Marvel deliberately kept him off the team.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lobok posted:

It'd be one thing if no one ever thought of it but it's funnier that there are several stories where there was a chance for Spider-Man to join and something goes wrong. Marvel deliberately kept him off the team.

Yeah it showed a certain level of brand integrity-- Spidery is a chronic loner/loser despite being kickass and the Avengers are kind-of snobby despite being a halfway house for anyone Cap, Tony, or Thor found on the street. Bendis thread the needle with adding Wolverine/Spider-Man because the characters are frankly too strong to gently caress up if you're even moderately good, but I remember feeling like Marvel was "giving in" to something and going a bit obvious-- kind of similar to vibes when they tried to make Superman and Wonder Woman a power couple and my mind kept going back to the Alan Moore store "too obvious?"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Definitely wasn't just you. That was the big topic of the day when it happened, if Bendis was betraying the spirit of Spider-Man and/or ruining what the Avengers were.

Funny to think how much the loner Spidey rep clashed with his team-up history. For a supposedly solo hero, the dude met everybody.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Spider-man is very popular, it's not coincidence that Sony bought the motion picture rights to him specifically. Marvel Team Ups are usually Spider-man meets another less famous hero to shore up their numbers. That raises my curiosity, has Wolverine ever duoud with Spidey?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I remember people complaining that New Avengers team wasn't strong enough to be Avengers. These are Earth's Mightiest after all!

The team that accepted Hawkeye and Tigra.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Spider-man is very popular, it's not coincidence that Sony bought the motion picture rights to him specifically. Marvel Team Ups are usually Spider-man meets another less famous hero to shore up their numbers. That raises my curiosity, has Wolverine ever duoud with Spidey?

sure, a bunch of times. the first was probably that graphic novel where they both went to berlin while the wall was up and got into espionage shenanigans. the best was probably the mini where they traveled through time together and at one point bedazzled their costumes with magic diamonds.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Kwyndig posted:

Woverine was in the New Fantastic Four with Spider-Man, Hulk, and Ghost Rider

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Solving just as many problems as the original fantastic four while only causing half as many.

Usually.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Taerkar posted:

Solving just as many problems as the original fantastic four while only causing half as many.

Usually.

Well yes, because these characters have moral codes, unlike Reed Richards.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

I remember people complaining that New Avengers team wasn't strong enough to be Avengers. These are Earth's Mightiest after all!

The team that accepted Hawkeye and Tigra.

The actual power level of The Avengers has wildly changed over the years. But the main thing is Marvel doesn't really have a focus on super heroes as powerful as Superman, those heroes exist (Sentry, Blue Marvel, Hyperion, probably some others I'm forgetting), but no one gives a poo poo about them.

Marvel doesn't have a Superman that people care about, they've got a lot of Batmen. Iron Man, Spider-Man and Wolverine have all pulled off Batman levels of bullshit "I was prepared for this or I can adapt quickly enough to it I might as well have been prepared" things. Daredevil is basically Red Batman.

You have Iron-Man, Spider-Man and Wolverine on the same team, why the gently caress didn't you do this earlier?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

Woverine was in the New Fantastic Four with Spider-Man, Hulk, and Ghost Rider

That seems like a team that's only coming out for some niche adventures.

"Argh, a supernatural being with immense physical strength and it's army of science ninjas are attacking us!"

"Huh, where are you?"

"In New York!"

"Well, you're in luck..."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

"Argh, a supernatural being with immense physical strength and it's army of science ninjas are attacking us!"

"Huh, where are you?"

"In New York!"

Johnny Storm's girlfriend (who was actually a Skrull) recruited them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

[Fantastic Four #347]

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Elissimpark posted:

"Huh, where are you?"

"In New York!"

It was primarily a joke about the implausibility of the four most popular Marvel characters of the time teaming up like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Skwirl posted:

The actual power level of The Avengers has wildly changed over the years. But the main thing is Marvel doesn't really have a focus on super heroes as powerful as Superman, those heroes exist (Sentry, Blue Marvel, Hyperion, probably some others I'm forgetting), but no one gives a poo poo about them.

Marvel doesn't have a Superman that people care about, they've got a lot of Batmen. Iron Man, Spider-Man and Wolverine have all pulled off Batman levels of bullshit "I was prepared for this or I can adapt quickly enough to it I might as well have been prepared" things. Daredevil is basically Red Batman.

You have Iron-Man, Spider-Man and Wolverine on the same team, why the gently caress didn't you do this earlier?

iron man wasn't nearly as popular before the movies. him being on the avengers wasn't much of a selling point.