Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
do i preload grindr before i go to get poxshot or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol great new page snipe

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

mediaphage posted:

do i preload grindr before i go to get poxshot or not

get the shot first then wait a few days

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I’m sure this doesn’t even need to be said but trying to associate monkey pox solely with “men who have sex with men” drives me loving insane because, among other reasons, if you’re acknowledging that bisexual men can get it, then obviously it can be spread to women too, JUST LIKE loving AIDS YOU MORONS.

Seriously hope Fauci falls in an open manhole

Bisexual men can be described as "men who have sex with men"

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
It's popular for youth pastor types to tell teenagers that if you have sex with someone you're having sex with everyone they've ever had sex with so if you view it like that I've had sex with all of my Eskimo Brothers which means I'm basically an MSM.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thoguh posted:

It's popular for youth pastor types to tell teenagers that if you have sex with someone you're having sex with everyone they've ever had sex with so if you view it like that I've had sex with all of my Eskimo Brothers which means I'm basically an MSM.

This also means that everyone has had sex with Kevin Bacon

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Karl Barks posted:

Bisexual men can be described as "men who have sex with men"

i think the women who gently caress them would object to this

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i think the women who gently caress them would object to this

women can be pretty open minded if you talk to them

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
In the medical setting, it's not about whether you're gay, bi, or straight. It's about who you have sex with. Some people will identify as straight but still admit to having sex with people of the same sex. So instead, it's documented as "has sex with men" or "has sex with women" or "has sex with both".

Phrasing the question that way yields more truthful / accurate answers as well.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
that's cool. hey why do they think gay dudes are the only ones spreading it again

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that's cool. hey why do they think gay dudes are the only ones spreading it again

because the data shows that men who have sex with men are spreading it way the gently caress more than anyone else? that would be my first guess

i mean yea if you ask some dumbass nurse with a 2 year degree, you're going to get a dumbass answer

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Latest stats I could find were from jul 22 and it was 99% of cases were in men: https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/08/monkeypox-cases-reach-7500-us-99-cases-males

Karl Barks has issued a correction as of 21:20 on Aug 16, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
starbucks confirmed the most trusted source of medical news in america

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

A Buttery Pastry posted:

starbucks confirmed the most trusted source of medical news in america

drat it lol

Please don't steal my $10 gift card :(

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

thats the tax for pedantry on the internet

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
because i thought one of the concerns were outbreaks in schools

schools that apparently i should've assumed were catholic

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Karl Barks posted:

drat it lol

Please don't steal my $10 gift card :(
I think someone already did, sorry.

Karl Barks posted:

Latest stats I could find were from jul 22 and it was 99% of cases were in men: https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/08/monkeypox-cases-reach-7500-us-99-cases-males
If you get monkey pox, there's a 41% chance to spontaneously contract HIV too is what I gather from this.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

because the data shows that men who have sex with men are spreading it way the gently caress more than anyone else? that would be my first guess

i mean yea if you ask some dumbass nurse with a 2 year degree, you're going to get a dumbass answer

yeah but that's been a heavily selected for sample, to the point that we're hearing anecdotes of people being refused treatment and even testing despite obvious symptoms if they're not engaging in MSM
the same way covid didn't infect children when we refused to test children for it.

We could just as easily decide monkeypox was a disease of the lefthanded by organizing our testing around that trait.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Coolness Averted posted:

yeah but that's been a heavily selected for sample, to the point that we're hearing anecdotes of people being refused treatment and even testing despite obvious symptoms if they're not engaging in MSM
the same way covid didn't infect children when we refused to test children for it.

We could just as easily decide monkeypox was a disease of the lefthanded by organizing our testing around that trait.

Where are you seeing heavily selected sample sizing for monkeypox stats? Legit curious

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Karl Barks posted:

Where are you seeing heavily selected sample sizing for monkeypox stats? Legit curious

The testing criteria makes it such that it's almost impossible to get a test if you aren't a promiscuous gay man so of course the population of people that test positive are going to be overwhelmingly gay men.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Thoguh posted:

The testing criteria makes it such that it's almost impossible to get a test if you aren't a promiscuous gay man so of course the population of people that test positive are going to be overwhelmingly gay men.

Not saying you're lying or anything, I'd just like to see where that's happening cause I'm curious. I agree that 99% of cases being men sounds fishy

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Karl Barks posted:

Not saying you're lying or anything, I'd just like to see where that's happening cause I'm curious. I agree that 99% of cases being men sounds fishy

Medical bias is frustratingly slippery, I think we're probably years away from having real data about it here. All we have now are anecdotes about people being turned away from testing and stuff like the CDC guidelines for determining a case I posted.

On first blush those guidelines seem reasonable, they say all at risk communities, but they have a baked in bias. Like if patient 0 stays at a hotel and their sheets get laundered, infecting 100 people and 3 of those were gay, but 97 aren't the CDC has just found 3 cases of monkeypox 100% of which were gay.
The other 97? Didn't meet the CDC's criteria for a likely case, since none of them had close contact with a confirmed case or person presenting symptoms, nor had they engaged in MSM.
Overly simplified numbers and going with a massive outbreak for emphasis, but you get my point.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
lmao I have enough faith in the medical community that there are controls and wide population samples to compare everything against. They certainly don't "only test gay people." That simply isn't how studies and medical science work.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
oh for sure man

https://twitter.com/hankgreen/statu...ingawful.com%2F

it's going to do nothing to stop inflation but sure ok

https://twitter.com/Freddygray31/st...ethingawful.com

:tootzzz:

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein...ingawful.com%2F

👍

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

lmao I have enough faith in the medical community

I see.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

tuskeGee, I sure do love trusting the medical community

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ex post facho posted:

just mired in her own poo poo, never wiping, for the rest of her miserable life

lol

I mean, if you're mired in it I don't imagine wiping would help much.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

projecthalaxy posted:

tuskeGee, I sure do love trusting the medical community

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

I really appreciate that you went with a discreet theme of colors for that post

Green, Gray and backs the Blue

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If you get monkey pox, there's a 41% chance to spontaneously contract HIV too is what I gather from this.

seems bad imo

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

...is a subject that is brought up in detail in every single first-year ethics class in every medical school in the country.

Bringing up abhorrent examples of systemic racism during a time when we imprisoned every single American with "Japanese blood" in camps doesn't give you the justification to disregard public health data & decision-making. Pretty much everything was tainted by racism in the 1930s 40s.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

Pretty much everything was tainted by racism in the 1930s 40s.

It's better now right

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dukberry posted:

It's better now right

it's been a long time since society completely poo poo the bed responding to a pandemic too!
It's not like anyone who has overseen multiple failed pandemic responses is at the levers of power anymore.
Hell, I can't even remember a pandemic that was let to ravage a population we didn't care about until it eventually came knocking for more important people

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

...is a subject that is brought up in detail in every single first-year ethics class in every medical school in the country.

Bringing up abhorrent examples of systemic racism during a time when we imprisoned every single American with "Japanese blood" in camps doesn't give you the justification to disregard public health data & decision-making. Pretty much everything was tainted by racism in the 1930s 40s.

unfortunately that’s not just a problem for the 40s, it’s a problem now

https://www.pnas.org/doi/abs/10.1073/pnas.1516047113

quote:

Specifically, this work reveals that a substantial number of white laypeople and medical students and residents hold false beliefs about biological differences between blacks and whites and demonstrates that these beliefs predict racial bias in pain perception and treatment recommendation accuracy. It also provides the first evidence that racial bias in pain perception is associated with racial bias in pain treatment recommendations. Taken together, this work provides evidence that false beliefs about biological differences between blacks and whites continue to shape the way we perceive and treat black people—they are associated with racial disparities in pain assessment and treatment recommendations.

Obviously this must be news to you, otherwise your hand waving would be a sign of lack of concern rather than ignorance about the topic of bias in public health decision-making.

So maybe don’t be so quick to dismiss concerns about “public health decision-making” being biased in ways that it historically has been biased.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol hospitals are far and away best at saving white men from heart attacks because for decades and decades that was the only kind of person they studied, you're still on the back foot if you have the bad fortune to have a coronary while being black or a woman

they didn't even start asking all those white guys if they smoked cigarettes until like 1970 lmao

also go ahead and guess what demographic is best at receiving organ transplants in our society

H.P. Hovercraft has issued a correction as of 02:53 on Aug 17, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I see the Homophobes have found CSPAM to spread their bullshit about the Gay pox.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they didn't even start asking all those white guys if they smoked cigarettes until like 1970 lmao

until like 1970 I think you would be considered a smoker by modern standards by walking into any building

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In Indiana, where they aren't gatekeeping tests to MSM, 20% of known monkeypox cases are in women. This implies that sexually active MSM are a very high risk category, but the virus is also spreading through the general population. Massage therapists, restaurant workers and schoolchildren are also at high risk of getting poxxed, but good luck getting a vaccine if you're in one of those groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Given (chicken)pox parties are a thing, I kind of imagine there's gonna be an explosion among children at some point.