Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

Occasionally you can find cards for units up on eBay but it's not reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

I've been bringing a skirmish list to my local shop for a few weeks now, and while I'm new and don't at all mind losing I'm looking to mix it up a bit while I buy / paint my way up to 800 points.

How does this look to people? Mostly I ditched the AT-RT from my list in favor of Chewbacca, but I have a few points un-used if there are useful upgrades I might be able to make use of.

Luke/Chewie skirmish
489/500 (6 activations)

Commanders:
- Luke Skywalker (160): Force Push (10), Force Reflexes (5) = 175
Operative:
- Chewbacca (90): Tenacity (4) = 94
Corps:
- 2× Rebel Troopers (40): Z-6 Trooper (20) = 120
Special Forces:
- Commandos (48): Duck and Cover (2) = 50
- Commando Strike Team (20): DH-447 Sniper (28), Duck and Cover (2) = 50

Commands: • Common Cause, • Son of Skywalker, •• My Ally is the Force, •• Push, ••• Return of the Jedi, ••• Assault, •••• Standing Orders

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Battle report. Yet another battle between the empire and sepratists droids. I tried to do a more smarmy aproach.

Veers swarm (500 Points, 7 activations)
General Veers
Snowtroopers
-Snowtroopers
Stormtroopers
-DLT-19, Stormtrooper, Targeting Scopes
Stormtroopers
Stormtroopers
HH-12, Stormtrooper
Scout Troopers
-DLT 19x, Recon intel
Speeder Bikes
-Long Range Comlink

My opponent had a tank, and a ton of B1s, some pikes and magnaguards.

We fought around the ruins of a fallen ATST near a bunker with the Elimination victory condition. This was the chance to use my custom squad markers I made (found some half-off Greek letter stencils at a Ben Franklin's.).

Taking up positions, with Beta, Gamma and Scouts. We traded units, with both sides taking heavy loses. Veers did a maximum firepower strike on some of their B1s.

The bikes scooting around. We both lost out commanders. My Scouts got a little too close (I should have just held them back and used the sniper I think. The others in the squad are only 2 range though). We ended up in a melee with the magnaguards with Gamma joining in. I ended up winning the melee and then losing the last of my scouts.

We were down to two corp squads each (I had Alpha and Gamma vs. B1 in the open, one B1 inside the tank). Though my two squads were much more damaged. My opponent had a tank and I had the speeder bikes.

Bikes flanking the pikes. I feel like this was the first game my bikes were useful, and didn't just explode right away after maybe doing 1-2 damage. they took out almost an entire squad.

At the end of round 5 we counted our points and found we tied. So we agreed to go by points and I killed about 30 points less, so not a huge margin to loose by. I'm almost certain if we contenued he'd won with his tank being too strong for my bikes and easily taking out the rest of my squads.

I'm realizing I should of held my scouts back more, (that scout ability is so tempting to use) and maybe I should have tried to focus fire on the tank more, IDK, eliminating the weaker units did reduce how many activation my opponent got.

Next time I might work my ATST into the squad with the scouts and veers and drop the bikes.

I was looking at buying the E-WEB Heavy blaster, but at least one tier list I saw called it F tier. I don't know if that's true. Is it any good? I was thinking dewbacks look good, but my local store doesn't have any, and I think they might be dropping legion since they're selling at 20% off, and I just bought veers and scouts so I don't want to buy more too soon.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 15, 2022

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Foolster41 posted:

Battle report. Yet another battle between the empire and sepratists droids. I tried to do a more smarmy aproach.

Veers swarm (500 Points, 7 activations)
General Veers
Snowtroopers
-Snowtroopers
Stormtroopers
Stormtroopers
Stormtroopers
HH-12, Stormtrooper
Scout Troopers
-DLT 19x, Recon intel
Speeder Bikes
-Long Range Comlink

My opponent had a tank, and a ton of B1s, some pikes and magnaguards.

We fought around the ruins of a fallen ATST near a bunker with the Elimination victory condition. This was the chance to use my custom squad markers I made (found some half-off Greek letter stencils at a Ben Franklin's.).

Taking up positions, with Beta, Gamma and Scouts. We traded units, with both sides taking heavy loses. Veers did a maximum firepower strike on some of their B1s.

The bikes scooting around. We both lost out commanders. My Scouts got a little too close (I should have just held them back and used the sniper I think. The others in the squad are only 2 range though). We ended up in a melee with the magnaguards with Gamma joining in. I ended up winning the melee and then losing the last of my scouts.

We were down to two corp squads each (I had Alpha and Gamma vs. B1 in the open, one B1 inside the tank). Though my two squads were much more damaged. My opponent had a tank and I had the speeder bikes.

Bikes flanking the pikes. I feel like this was the first game my bikes were useful, and didn't just explode right away after maybe doing 1-2 damage. they took out almost an entire squad.

At the end of round 5 we counted our points and found we tied. So we agreed to go by points and I killed about 30 points less, so not a huge margin to loose by. I'm almost certain if we contenued he'd won with his tank being too strong for my bikes and easily taking out the rest of my squads.

I'm realizing I should of held my scouts back more, (that scout ability is so tempting to use) and maybe I should have tried to focus fire on the tank more, IDK, eliminating the weaker units did reduce how many activation my opponent got.

Next time I might work my ATST into the squad with the scouts and veers and drop the bikes.

I was looking at buying the E-WEB Heavy blaster, but at least one tier list I saw called it F tier. I don't know if that's true. Is it any good? I was thinking dewbacks look good, but my local store doesn't have any, and I think they might be dropping legion since they're selling at 20% off, and I just bought veers and scouts so I don't want to buy more too soon.

I like using my e-webs in a similar list:

Imp Skirmish (500/500)
Empire

General Veers (75)
- Vigilance (5)
= 80 total points

Stormtroopers (44)
- DLT-19 Stormtrooper (20)
- Stormtrooper Captain (10)
- Offensive Push (4)
= 78 total points

Stormtroopers (44)
- Stormtrooper (8)
= 72 total points

Stormtroopers (44)
- Stormtrooper (8)
= 72 total points

Stormtroopers (44)
- Stormtrooper (8)
= 72 total points

E-Web Heavy Blaster Team (55)
- Linked Targeting Array (5)
- Overcharged Generator (3)
= 63 total points

E-Web Heavy Blaster Team (55)
- Linked Targeting Array (5)
- Overcharged Generator (3)
= 63 total points

Wherever I set them up, people don’t like walking in front of :twisted:

Seriously though, I can farm out aim tokens left and right between the Linked Targeting Arrays, Veers with Spotter 2, the stormtrooper captain with Offensive Push, and the command card Coordinated Fire. One of Veers command cards gives out a free recover action as well, don’t forget to use it like I do half the time.

The e-webs throwing 5-6 dice downrange is nothing to sneeze at, especially if you’re using them in overwatch. Yea, they’re slow, but I like using them more as area denial than anything else.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Strangest Finch posted:

I've been bringing a skirmish list to my local shop for a few weeks now, and while I'm new and don't at all mind losing I'm looking to mix it up a bit while I buy / paint my way up to 800 points.

How does this look to people? Mostly I ditched the AT-RT from my list in favor of Chewbacca, but I have a few points un-used if there are useful upgrades I might be able to make use of.

Luke/Chewie skirmish
489/500 (6 activations)

Commanders:
- Luke Skywalker (160): Force Push (10), Force Reflexes (5) = 175
Operative:
- Chewbacca (90): Tenacity (4) = 94
Corps:
Special Forces:
- Commandos (48): Duck and Cover (2) = 50
- Commando Strike Team (20): DH-447 Sniper (28), Duck and Cover (2) = 50

Commands: • Common Cause, • Son of Skywalker, •• My Ally is the Force, •• Push, ••• Return of the Jedi, ••• Assault, •••• Standing Orders

Looks good with what you have- I don't really live commandos without snipers and the strike team might have trouble on smaller skirmish maps. If you get upgrade pack 2 (or proxy) I'd give Luke Burst of Speed over Reflexes as well as Prepared Supplies, and then give Chewie Protector. I think long run you might wanna swap the troopers and commandos for a vet/mk2 gunline, but depends on what you wanna buy towards

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Really like the battle reports! Ewebs are in kind of a bad spot since they have pretty good firepower for cost but are very hard to actually use due to their low mobility and short range; though they're a little better in skirmish due to the smaller board. Dewbacks are pretty good but usually want to be run in packs- they're not quite tough enough they can't focus down one, but 2-3 are a pain when combined with other threats

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
I've finished my half of the core set, a friend took the rebels and I gladly grabbed the Galactic Empire.

Stormtroopers are the classic primed white, white contrast paint, drybrushed white, black contrast paint. I was really happy about how easy they were, it'll make it nicer to paint lots of troops.

I might do some weathering later on the speeders, but I mostly wanted to focus on getting everything done so I could do more troops.

I love death troopers, they are the coolest. Just primed black, dry bushed uniform grey, with APs jungle green for the eyes/lights, plus some highlights on the guns since they are also black.

Vader done mostly like the death troopers, and probably my favourite Star Wars villan, Director Krennic. I tried to drybrush some grey into his hair to get that salt and pepper look, but I don't think it really shows.

The gang all together

A bunker I made for terrain, definitely messed up and drybrushed way too hard, but it looks fine at tabletop. Anyone have suggestions on how to make it look more sci-fi/Star wars-y? Preferably something removable so I could use it for something like Bolt action too

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

A bunker I made for terrain, definitely messed up and drybrushed way too hard, but it looks fine at tabletop.

Around here we call that weathering. Love the detail on the stormtrooper backpack too.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Those stormtroopers look great!

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Looks good with what you have- I don't really live commandos without snipers and the strike team might have trouble on smaller skirmish maps. If you get upgrade pack 2 (or proxy) I'd give Luke Burst of Speed over Reflexes as well as Prepared Supplies, and then give Chewie Protector. I think long run you might wanna swap the troopers and commandos for a vet/mk2 gunline, but depends on what you wanna buy towards

Yeah, when I hit 800 I'll be making some changes, Vets seem like a great idea and maybe dropping the strike team entirely and just adding the sniper mini to the main commando squad. Tonight's game went much better than my previous two though. Swapping in Chewie for the AT-RT was a really good call, did a nice job of splitting up my opponents attention -- though in retrospect keeping Chewie and Luke together might have been a better call given the objective. The Sniper Strike team did great work while they survived though.

On a different note, I really enjoyed painting Chewbacca, enough that I might pick up some Wookie warriors before the Rebel Battle Force drops.

I have the first upgrade pack, and will probably be picking up the second in a month or two as my number of miniatures increases.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

A bunker I made for terrain, definitely messed up and drybrushed way too hard, but it looks fine at tabletop. Anyone have suggestions on how to make it look more sci-fi/Star wars-y? Preferably something removable so I could use it for something like Bolt action too

Get yourself a bunch of scatter terrain bits like crates and the like and build them so they lean against it. You can have sci-fi crates and wooden crates to switch out. Maybe add a little cable port and then build a set of radio antennae/hypernet nodes that plug into it.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Get yourself a bunch of scatter terrain bits like crates and the like and build them so they lean against it. You can have sci-fi crates and wooden crates to switch out. Maybe add a little cable port and then build a set of radio antennae/hypernet nodes that plug into it.

Good call, thanks. I should really find someone with a 3d printer so I can get lots of scatter terrain.

I just ordered a box of scout troopers and a box of shore troopers from my flgs, hopefully that should tide me over until I can get my hands on blizzard force.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

is echo base defenders worth it for someone with rebel units already?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

All of the units are individually decent at worst so it depends on what overlap you have- 4 vets is a bit excessive but whatever. If you don't have any vets it's definitely worth considering

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Probably not the best I can do with what I have, but good enough to get me to a newbie tournament in October?

799/800
8 Activations

Clone Captain Rex 100 + 27 = 127
--Aggressive Tactics (15), Offensive Push (4), Recon Intel (2), Portable Scanner (6)
Phase I Clone Troopers 52 + 43 = 95
--Z-6 Phase I Trooper (23), Clone Commander (Upgrade) (20)
2x Phase I Clone Troopers 52 + 46 = 98 x 2 = 196
--DC-15 Phase I Trooper (26), Clone Commander (Upgrade) (20)
Arc Troopers (Strike Team) 27 + 51 = 78
--DC-15x ARC Trooper (31), HQ Uplink (10), JT-12 Jetpacks (10)
Arc Troopers 78 + 60 = 138
--Fives (40), HQ Uplink (10), JT-12 Jetpacks (10)
BARC Speeder 55 + 26 = 81
--BARC RPS-6 Gunner (21), Long-Range Comlink (5)
BARC Speeder 55 + 29 = 84
--BARC Ion Gunner (24), Long-Range Comlink (5)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

Probably not the best I can do with what I have, but good enough to get me to a newbie tournament in October?

799/800
8 Activations

Clone Captain Rex 100 + 27 = 127
--Aggressive Tactics (15), Offensive Push (4), Recon Intel (2), Portable Scanner (6)
Phase I Clone Troopers 52 + 43 = 95
--Z-6 Phase I Trooper (23), Clone Commander (Upgrade) (20)
2x Phase I Clone Troopers 52 + 46 = 98 x 2 = 196
--DC-15 Phase I Trooper (26), Clone Commander (Upgrade) (20)
Arc Troopers 78 + 60 = 138
--Fives (40), HQ Uplink (10), JT-12 Jetpacks (10)
BARC Speeder 55 + 29 = 84
--BARC Ion Gunner (24), Long-Range Comlink (5)

I like the idea but I think you're better off putting Fives in a P1 squad and Echo in the full arcs; and also probably cutting the commander upgrades and comms for a standalone clone commander unit. Oh and Scanner isn't great on Rex since he'd prefer to move shoot a lot and in extremis he can just dodge and share anyway. But looks like it should be able to handle a small tournament pretty well

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think I can do that with what I have. I'll juggle things around a bit and see what I come up with. Thanks.

ETA: moved stuff around. Realised that I hadn't put all four squads of Phase I Clone Troopers in the previous list somehow, and dropped a BARC to fit them back in. Kind of impressed at how close to just being starter box content this is, and simultaneously looking at all my other boxes of clones and being sad.

800/800
9 Activations

Clone Captain Rex 100 + 21 = 121
--Aggressive Tactics (15), Offensive Push (4), Recon Intel (2)
Clone Commander 60

2x Phase I Clone Troopers 52 + 23 = 75 x 2 = 150
--Z-6 Phase I Trooper (23)
Phase I Clone Troopers 52 + 26 = 78
--DC-15 Phase I Trooper (26)
Phase I Clone Troopers 52 + 40 = 92
--Fives (40)
Arc Troopers 78 + 62 = 140
--Echo (42), HQ Uplink (10), JT-12 Jetpacks (10)

Call Me Captain•, Ploy•, Take That, Clankers!••, Air Support••, We're Not Programmed•••, Attack of the Clones•••, Standing Orders••••

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 16, 2022

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

How is that new Separatist Battle Force for someone looking to dip their toes into this game? I love me some droids but I'm not sure how competitive the units in that box are and if it's a good value vs. just buying units piecemeal.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

How is that new Separatist Battle Force for someone looking to dip their toes into this game? I love me some droids but I'm not sure how competitive the units in that box are and if it's a good value vs. just buying units piecemeal.

I think it's pretty solid. You want 4 (possibly 6) squads of B1's to firm the core of most lists. So that is a big tick.

The tank is strong as are magna guard and Greivous, all stuff you will be happy to have in your arsenal.

Droidekas are the question mark. Personally I enjoy them and have had both good and weak performances. They aren't regarded very highly in the meta though so your mileage may vary on if you want two squads.

Basically they can be a bit unpredictable, sometimes their shields can keep them alive and annoy the hell out of your opponent while putting out decent firepower, then other times they suddenly melt. Ion weapons really are kryptonite to them!

For the overall discount on buying the other stuff separately you could just regard them as freebies.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'd absolutely recommend it unless you've got like 4 b1s already; although big disclaimer with the battleforce boxes is that they've apparently got a bunch of weird misprints (iirc the CIS box is missing shield tokens for the droidekas)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ugleb posted:

I think it's pretty solid. You want 4 (possibly 6) squads of B1's to firm the core of most lists. So that is a big tick.

The tank is strong as are magna guard and Greivous, all stuff you will be happy to have in your arsenal.

Droidekas are the question mark. Personally I enjoy them and have had both good and weak performances. They aren't regarded very highly in the meta though so your mileage may vary on if you want two squads.

Basically they can be a bit unpredictable, sometimes their shields can keep them alive and annoy the hell out of your opponent while putting out decent firepower, then other times they suddenly melt. Ion weapons really are kryptonite to them!

For the overall discount on buying the other stuff separately you could just regard them as freebies.

For things that don’t like getting suppressed (like Anakin, or anyone with low courage), they’re ok. Against a unit with Danger Sense (bonus defense dice for your suppression tokens), not so much :v:

I think they’re a bigger perceived threat with their speed, rather than what they can actually shoot. They can get places and threaten things that would otherwise be safe, even if it’s not a hugethreat. They’re semi-durable too, getting cover when they’re in wheel-mode and regenerating shield tokens.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

StashAugustine posted:

I'd absolutely recommend it unless you've got like 4 b1s already; although big disclaimer with the battleforce boxes is that they've apparently got a bunch of weird misprints (iirc the CIS box is missing shield tokens for the droidekas)

I did see something about misprinted cards which seems utterly bizarre. Didn't follow it very carefully though as I probably won't be getting any of the current battleforces. Other than Shadow Collective maybe.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arquinsiel posted:

I think I can do that with what I have. I'll juggle things around a bit and see what I come up with. Thanks.

ETA: moved stuff around. Realised that I hadn't put all four squads of Phase I Clone Troopers in the previous list somehow, and dropped a BARC to fit them back in. Kind of impressed at how close to just being starter box content this is, and simultaneously looking at all my other boxes of clones and being sad.

800/800
9 Activations

Clone Captain Rex 100 + 21 = 121
--Aggressive Tactics (15), Offensive Push (4), Recon Intel (2)
Clone Commander 60

2x Phase I Clone Troopers 52 + 23 = 75 x 2 = 150
--Z-6 Phase I Trooper (23)
Phase I Clone Troopers 52 + 26 = 78
--DC-15 Phase I Trooper (26)
Phase I Clone Troopers 52 + 40 = 92
--Fives (40)
Arc Troopers 78 + 62 = 140
--Echo (42), HQ Uplink (10), JT-12 Jetpacks (10)

Call Me Captain•, Ploy•, Take That, Clankers!••, Air Support••, We're Not Programmed•••, Attack of the Clones•••, Standing Orders••••
Quotin' myself for context. I have realised I don't actually have enough ARC Troopers to do the squad with Echo, the Strike Team, and Fives with the Phase Is. Is it better to drop Fives or Echo?

It's also interesting that the sprue only has enough jetpacks for three troopers, but gives you stands for four, and only has four regular backpacks. That seems like somewhat of an odd oversight.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 22, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Well the 501st box is missing stands so save em lol. I'd probably cut the strike team and add a BARC back in?

Ugleb posted:

I did see something about misprinted cards which seems utterly bizarre. Didn't follow it very carefully though as I probably won't be getting any of the current battleforces. Other than Shadow Collective maybe.

Yeah 501st also has misprints on the dice for the Dc15x and the ATRT laser cannon, plus most of the boxes seem to be missing a few tokens. I think it's still the chaos of transferring everything over, supposedly there's some computer hiccups with file formats on the cards that did things like printing swoop bikes with crits instead of surges on their conversion chart. The only issue I noticed with Shadow Collective was the shield tokens are double sided; and also separately Gar Saxon is missing a card for his shield generator which is available print and play

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Ugleb posted:

There are red dice on upgrade cards that should have black dice. There are missing shield and other needed tokens for some of the new Battle force boxed. They have the wrong base on the box of the Swoops (and that base was on all the images of the swoops for like 5 months). The Swoops bikes have dodge surges converting to ...crits. The upgrade card for Gar Saxon's shield was just left out of the Shadow Collective box.

AMG is doing great.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

everybody shut the gently caress up it comes with two (2) Grogu sculpts!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

StashAugustine posted:

Well the 501st box is missing stands so save em lol. I'd probably cut the strike team and add a BARC back in?
That's a good point. It'd give me way more points to mess around with.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Owlbear Camus posted:

everybody shut the gently caress up it comes with two (2) Grogu sculpts!

I'm just happy they sculpted him devouring something. Grogu is an apex predator.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I am gonna let my GF paint the frog gobbler variant.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Well, the London Grand Tournament has done it again with their table game. At least it isn't polystyrene blocks from the dumpster this time.

Suddenly glad I didn't buy a ticket!

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Whoa, that's embarrassing.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

An update! Apparently, those boards weren't final and they are unhappy about!

Final boards are certainly better, although still a bit on the light side I'd say.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Slightly better, although apparently still not aware that Danger Close and Disarray exist.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah my #1 tip to building tables is put small LOS blockers touching the long edge halfway through so you don't end up with clear firing lines on those maps

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Only few times I've really come away hot from a loss was when TOs set up completely hosed terrain and did not give a single poo poo. Facing gunlines without any kind of reasonable LOS blockers to balance it out is really frustrating. The combination of that with just basic knowledge of how the battlefield cards work and how they tend to care about the centerpiece of the field means I pretty much always start my tables with something either directly in the middle, or a handful of things surrounding the middle to break it all up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah the centers gotta be open but with decent cover and with a reasonable key position (plus a place for Recover), the other intercept positions similar, then you need stuff to break up the sight lines across all the deployments as well

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ugleb posted:

Well, the London Grand Tournament has done it again with their table game. At least it isn't polystyrene blocks from the dumpster this time.
I wasn't aware that this was on, but it's probably not the best level of event to bring my total newbie rear end to. I'm considering heading to the Bad Moon Cafe's beginner tournament next weekend though.

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Han & Chewie Spec Ops
500/500 (6 activations)
Commanders:
- Han Solo (100): Improvised Orders (5), Offensive Push (4) = 109
Operative:
- Chewbacca (90): Tenacity (4), Into the Fray (4) = 98
Corps:
Special Forces:
- Wookiee Warriors (69): Battle Shield Wookiee (26) = 95
- Commandos (48): DH-447 Sniper (28), Duck and Cover (2) = 78

Commands: • Sorry About the Mess, • Ambush, •• Reckless Diversion, •• Push, ••• Notorious Scoundrels, ••• Change of Plans, •••• Standing Orders

I don't quite have enough units to field a full 800 pt army, but I'm looking to take this into my local place at the skirmish level this week. Any thoughts? I've never used the Wookies before and while the Battle Shield upgrade looks great I don't really know what (if anything) else they should be strapped with for effectiveness.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I think Offensive Push and Tenacity are honestly higher priority than the heavies imo. Shield is good, bowcaster is also great but you're short on points. I've been running full commandos and I think they want offensive push more than dnc, aims really make them sing. Han also probably wants Up Close and Personal and I think Chewie wants Protector first. Cutting his other upgrade and Improvised Orders probably gets you enough, unless you want to cut the trooper heavies

E: and to be clear, wookiees are super good and fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I think Offensive Push and Tenacity are honestly higher priority than the heavies imo. Shield is good, bowcaster is also great but you're short on points. I've been running full commandos and I think they want offensive push more than dnc, aims really make them sing. Han also probably wants Up Close and Personal and I think Chewie wants Protector first. Cutting his other upgrade and Improvised Orders probably gets you enough, unless you want to cut the trooper heavies

E: and to be clear, wookiees are super good and fun

Thanks!

Do you mean OP and Tenacity are better than the Z-6's on the Rebel Trooper Units? If so, I guess that makes sense, with all the power in other units on the table those extra white-dice aren't as critical as they are in other builds I've been able to throw together. DNC has served me well so far, but then again I've been getting most of its value out of placing it on a strike team and I'm not running one of them on this one, so I'll give the swap out a chance!

Given the Han & Chewie teamwork ability is dropping an Electrobinoculars in somewhere potentially a good idea as well?

Also yeah, Wookies look super fun. Physically putting them together was an exercise in tedium but I'm looking forward to actually playing them!