Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Alrighty then, I missed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Some Guy TT posted:

how did you find these cheap places and are there any in shanghai

i almost never went to shanghai, maybe southern cities have tougher real estate situations? i stayed in suzhou for a month or so but that was in university provided housing.

in both cases i just let people i knew who lived there find places for me. a friend who teaches at beida set me up in a long term hotel there, and in changchun a couple that were moving back to their home country just handed their apartment off to me and a girl i was seeing at the time.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

China has been very thorough in its attempt to build legitimacy around the world but it is failing in all the key areas where it needs to succeed at.

remember when there were copyeditors?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Cpt_Obvious posted:

China has been very thorough in its attempt to build legitimacy around the world but it is failing in all the key areas where it needs to succeed at. It is easy and cheap for China to maintain a good image of itself in South America and Africa or even the Caribbean because there are no stakes there and frankly they are geopolitically unimportant in the regions where China needs to exert its influence most. So the narrative of 'China increasingly isolated as everyone hates them' might not be technically true in the sense that there are pockets where they still enjoy a good image and foreign support, it is becoming *functionally true* in that anyone with stakes in the regions that China views as its core interests, sees China in an increasingly negative light and may be prone to choose the existing option of cooperating with the US and helping to maintain the existing framework.

Certainly trying to walk the tight rope on the Ukraine issue is pleasing no one outside of Russia and the general view that the Chinese covered up and are at least partly responsible for COVID being the pandemic it was yet again isn't helping. None of this is to say that China's (and Xi's) vision of Chinese ascendency is doomed per se as the economic and military might of Beijing remains very real. It is, however, ironic that when China sees the US as an aging power that should gracefully retire back across the Pacific, it is giving everyone in the region and actors with stakes outside the region, every reason to prop up and support the US in its attempt to pivot to the Pacific and maintain a dominating relevance in what should be Beijing's backyard.

shithole countries dont count

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

what’s the dynamic with far right South Korean leaders with Japan? do they bring up the war crimes to rile up nationalism or do they meekly put that on the back burner bc it is contrary to American interests

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DeimosRising posted:

gently caress i didn't know they killed the walrus that sucks rear end

yeah i know that's what i'm saying. it's better to lower costs instead by lowering prices for housing, utilities, etc

also you can live in beijing for a pittance. at one point i lived out of a hotel for a year and i spent less than 20 bucks a day, food and lodging. my apartment in changchun was 3 bedrooms and cost less than 1k a month, and that's a city/metro about the size of chicago and twice as dense

Lol I love china but this is bullshit. I've lived in Beijing for 6 years. Less than 120 kuai a day for food and board? Maybe for a room in the rear end end of nowhere. When was this? Nowadays it'd be hard to get an apartment for less than 5000 kuai (800$) in the 4th ring road. It's way cheaper than america but beijings not really cheap, especially compared to local wages.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What's the commute time in 4 ring Beijing? One way commute time?

Is the apartment 1bd? ¥5000 sound about right.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

ding ding ding. d&d is too racist to have English language threads on non-English speaking countries

There are simply zero stakes in influencing the 3rd world. How much important poo poo even comes from there? The 1st world, now that's the bee's knees. It's the first so you know it must be good.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mirello posted:

Lol I love china but this is bullshit. I've lived in Beijing for 6 years. Less than 120 kuai a day for food and board? Maybe for a room in the rear end end of nowhere. When was this? Nowadays it'd be hard to get an apartment for less than 5000 kuai (800$) in the 4th ring road. It's way cheaper than america but beijings not really cheap, especially compared to local wages.

beijing was a while ago, that's totally fair (~2012). i can't find the place i was staying (if it still exists) to see what it costs now and it wasn't nice by any means. i never tried actually renting an apartment in beijing because i was traveling too much for it to be worth it. but the green tree inns will still do a room at ~200 a night it looks like. probably small as heck but they're all over the place

in changchun, 5000 yuan will still get you a pretty nice place even downtown. but the general cost of living index there looks to be about half of shanghai these days, and significantly below beijing too. i had no trouble finding 90-120 yuan a night hotel rooms in changchun just now - this place is run by JiDa and costs like 50, which is crazy low obviously but that stuff is out there.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

lollontee posted:

i personally know a tiananmen survivor who lost her husband while fleeing the firing. you can admit that the CCP is guilty of atrocities while remaining a communist, btw

the problem with framing the tiananmen events as a 'CCP atrocity' is that there is a comparison group in what happens when the authority of the communist party collapses in a large communist state in the late 1980s and it's not a pretty sight. I don't know what the Chinese policy makers were saying at the time to justify their actions, but I imagine many of them would have been saying 'the communist state cannot be allowed to collapse, at all costs, including causing human suffering and killing people, because the consequences will be far far worse' and a cursory glance at the history of post 1989 Russia has proven that this is absolutely correct.

You can be a communist and admit that the CPC has done bad things (I agree that a lot of innocent people were killed on June 4 1989 by the govt, so I imagine I am brainwashed by propaganda in the thread's eyes), but I don't think you can be a communist and say that in hindsight the CPSU should not have tried to enforce its authority in the 1989-1991 period (including using armed force), not even from the point of view of upholding the values of glorious communism but just from the point of trying to prevent >4 million people from loving dying. If you apply this reasoning to the PRC the morality of the Tiananmen events becomes much more murky.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Oh poo poo.

I'm... with her?

Seize dem means, queen

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

lollontee posted:

i personally know a tiananmen survivor who lost her husband while fleeing the firing. you can admit that the CCP is guilty of atrocities while remaining a communist, btw

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4010015

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

now you got the joke. but seriously, her husband was shot in the back while fleeing, unarmed, and so were the people they were with. regardless of the motivations, and indeed historic necessity, of the people involved in making the decision to pull the trigger, whatever system you're building requires you fire bullets into the backs of unarmed protestors. and that is indeed a bad thing, regardless justifications. the communist party was in charge, and in the end communist troops fired on both armed, and unarmed protestors.

or, so to say, someone really hosed up, and no one in power in china has ever dealt with the historic trauma. and you know what they say about unresolved dialectics...?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
I'm not going to criticize china's response to a color revolution from the very heart of the beast that pushed it.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

lollontee posted:

now you got the joke. but seriously, her husband was shot in the back while fleeing, unarmed, and so were the people they were with. regardless of the motivations, and indeed historic necessity, of the people involved in making the decision to pull the trigger, whatever system you're building requires you fire bullets into the backs of unarmed protestors. and that is indeed a bad thing, regardless justifications. the communist party was in charge, and in the end communist troops fired on both armed, and unarmed protestors.

or, so to say, someone really hosed up, and no one in power in china has ever dealt with the historic trauma. and you know what they say about unresolved dialectics...?

shut up lib

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
next ya gonna call me a white boy, and thas gonna make my sphincter ta reflexively prolapse

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
doesn’t the party say it was a mistake and the whining from the west is just because the party won’t celebrate an uprising against it for some reason :thunk:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Chinese liberals in 1790: it is emblematic of the dictatorship of the Washington regime that they won’t celebrate shay’s rebellion

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Raskolnikov38 posted:

doesn’t the party say it was a mistake and the whining from the west is just because the party won’t celebrate an uprising against it for some reason :thunk:

the party acknowledges that they did not s-rank that particular mission

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the party does say that, but very quietly in private meetings, for that exact fear. that isn't how you deal with a historic trauma, that's just a coping mechanism

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
they can deal with it after the west crumbles, gets rebuilt, and capitalism is defeated. is that ok

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
if we're talking chinese historical traumas the suppression of the tiananmen protests barely even registers, and the party is more than happy to talk about far bigger ones

so once again it seems like westen libs are attaching undue importance to an event because thats the only thing the west's propaganda machine keeps harping on about

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
If their party has text saying they admit they were wrong about that, is that more than Japan has admitted for it's warcrimes or does the LDP have text saying that too but haven't publically announced an apology?

I'm just saying we've got a lot more leverage over Japan, Nanking was pretty bad, and maybe if we want some apologetic words about Tienamen Square maybe a mutually beneficial trade can go on? Honestly thinking, I know the USA just wants to use this as a kudgel and not actually see justice.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

I've been reading about the imminent collapse of China since all those stories about ghost cities in the middle of nowhere for fake economic activity, which goes back to at least 2006. The day I learned you can just look up what the CPC has to say about them was an eye opener

This is the thing that gets me every time. Western press will write a 5.000 word article telling you in great detail of something going on in China. It'll have western China "experts" it'll have the views of (usually western) subject matter "experts" of whatever they are writing about, it might have US government opinion, it might have interviews of random Chinese people, it might have the personal experiences of the reporter who visited China. What it will not have is the CPC being asked "hey so uhh, what's up with this?" and then the answer printed.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

lollontee posted:

What do you mean china never dealt with it lol they crushed the counterrevolutionary uprising unlike Eastern Europe and they’re doing better than ever now

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

lollontee posted:

the party does say that, but very quietly in private meetings, for that exact fear. that isn't how you deal with a historic trauma, that's just a coping mechanism

The only arguable “historic trauma” china is still dealing with is the humiliation from the opium wars you pompous rear end in a top hat

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

lollontee posted:

is it actually a trauma among the general population of China rather than the victims, honest question.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The "ghost cities" poo poo is one of the worst because it's just a straight reframing of practical planning into Thing Bad.

You expect this many people are going to need houses, so you build this much housing, and you do it years in advance because it takes years to build a lot of housing and its attendant infrastructure.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
That actually makes sense, though hopefully they built the housing with the long term in mind? It'd just be nice is all, since they are being so forward thinking already.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
but what about the current quarter, hmm?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cerebral Bore posted:

if we're talking chinese historical traumas the suppression of the tiananmen protests barely even registers, and the party is more than happy to talk about far bigger ones

so once again it seems like westen libs are attaching undue importance to an event because thats the only thing the west's propaganda machine keeps harping on about

youre implying that personally knowing a tianenmen survivor and believing she wouldn't lie to my face is.... :hmmyes:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

is it actually a trauma among the general population of China rather than the victims, honest question.

the fact that the general populace is mostly ignorant of this historical event even occurring, and that those who are aware of it treat it very much as a taboo subject in public, are both signs of public trauma left undealt with

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lollontee posted:

What would happen in literally any country if a protest not only killed cops, but crucified and burned their bodies?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mans posted:

What would happen in literally any country if a protest not only killed cops, but crucified and burned their bodies?

depends on the country, i suppose

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I'm pretty drat sure that there would be crackdowns regardless of the country unless it is about to collapse.

Given the poo poo that the west has and continues to get away with anyone trying to take China to task for what America would call basic is gonna be waiting for a very long time, and if you think that this is emblematic of a flaw in Chinese governence then it's an even more glaring flaw in American governence, and they'll pop first if it actually is a nation killer.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

thechosenone posted:

I'm pretty drat sure that there would be crackdowns regardless of the country unless it is about to collapse.

Given the poo poo that the west has and continues to get away with anyone trying to take China to task for what America would call basic is gonna be waiting for a very long time, and if you think that this is emblematic of a flaw in Chinese governence then it's an even more glaring flaw in American governence, and they'll pop first if it actually is a nation killer.

how many people died during the Hk protests and how many died during BLM or even the Jan 6 riot? now look at what the media focuses on.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

lollontee posted:

youre implying that personally knowing a tianenmen survivor and believing she wouldn't lie to my face is.... :hmmyes:

Why wouldn’t she lie to your face?

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

The HK stuff and the way US media covered and politicians talked about it was a mindfuck when I found out that actually the HK cops hadn't killed anybody, despite all the noise about the BRUTAL, INHUMANE CRACKDOWN. I remember one day there was a post at the top of reddit of some graffiti in HK that said (in English, of course): "who can we call when the cops are the killers?"

So I'm like "alright, how many have they killed? A couple hundred?" Cops killing civilians is so normalized here that I just assumed surely the HK police were doing it too. Nope! Not only were they not killing people but nobody, including on the protest side, was even claiming that they were. The graffiti picture was just dumbass propaganda for idiot westerners (me).

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

unwantedplatypus posted:

Why wouldn’t she lie to your face?

Lying to people about Asian poo poo is my favorite thing in the universe. No irony, no lie it tickles my soul.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DiscountDildos posted:

The HK stuff and the way US media covered and politicians talked about it was a mindfuck when I found out that actually the HK cops hadn't killed anybody, despite all the noise about the BRUTAL, INHUMANE CRACKDOWN. I remember one day there was a post at the top of reddit of some graffiti in HK that said (in English, of course): "who can we call when the cops are the killers?"

So I'm like "alright, how many have they killed? A couple hundred?" Cops killing civilians is so normalized here that I just assumed surely the HK police were doing it too. Nope! Not only were they not killing people but nobody, including on the protest side, was even claiming that they were. The graffiti picture was just dumbass propaganda for idiot westerners (me).

This was a real waking up moment for me too yeah.

The contrast between the never ending newsreel of police brutally beating protesters and how it was a sign of China choking democracy and killing unarmed civilians and the very mild "oh there are some protests in the US too due to black lives matter extremists" news pieces while cops were running over afro american protesters and tagging along with right wing militias to shoot and kill protesters :psyduck:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

China over reacts to western meddling but it does so thoroughly that the particular avenue for exploitation gets closed for good and its unlikely that the circumstances for the unrest to repeat themselves any time soon. Like the roots of the protest were anti african and got co-opted by the usual "Pro Western Democracy" NGO affiliates.

People in the US are numb to the default police reaction to protest. And immediately memory hole REAL poo poo like the tulsa race massacres

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Cao Ni Ma posted:

People in the US are numb to the default police reaction to protest. And immediately memory hole REAL poo poo like the tulsa race massacres

Ummmm sweetie I'll have you know that we have a park in the area near the massacre site called "Reconciliation Park" so consider that historical trauma checked off the list.