Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I'm looking for a funny youtube video that's from 2012 or earlier. I'm going to guess it was removed, or the original creator's account was deleted. It was a parody of "angry reviewers" where a reviewer was playing "Mario" and complaining about it. The funny part of it was is that it was obviously a weird gameboy bootleg cartridge, where Mario was able to roll in a ball like Sonic. He used this complain about Mario always ripping off Sonic and said several other wrong things in a way that was funny, but also could make nerds get mad about how he was criticizing Mario while being wrong about everything.

I want to say it was called "The Irate Angry Video Game Nerd" but nowadays searching for that on Youtube just gives you Irate Gamer/Angry videogame nerd content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

mr_jolly posted:

I'm not sure if I've dreamt it or have been living in another dimension but recently I've been trying to remember a sci-fi book i possibly read a few years ago. Unfortunately i can't remember much of the plot except that it seemed to be set mainly in London during a war and everyone lived under a giant dome to protect them from bombs. At one point i remember there was a bit about a train leaving the dome to go to some secret bunker and bits describing how everyone lived from day to day but apart from that nothing!

For some reason Stephen Baxter comes to mind but it doesn't seem to be any of his books. The only vaguely similar result i can find on the net is a suggestion that it's a Phillip k dick book but the plotline doesn't seem the same.

Am I dreaming or going mad?

Baxter's officially accepted sequel to The Time Machine, Time Ships? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Ships

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

Isolationist posted:

Baxter's officially accepted sequel to The Time Machine, Time Ships? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Ships

Yes that's it! Not sure how i managed to miss that one out and have kept meaning to re-read this at some point. Guess I'll be reading this one again next!

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Not a something, but a somebody.

Used to trade Magic cards with this dude Levi from Connecticut, I think originally via IRC in #mtgtrade on EFnet? This would have been around 2000. He was into bands like Toxic Narcotic and Cancerslug, had a big old mohawk. I always wonder what happened to that dude, meant to keep in touch when I quit MTG but never did. Hope you're doing well out there, Levi! Maybe you post here, who knows.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just got off the highway from listening to the Spanish-language station. There was a cha-cha sung by a Spanish woman (Spanish accent, not Mexican) about somebody named Sara, and each chorus ended with the line "el camino del Sol". The song was gloriously overproduced in a fake-Middle Eastern way, with castanets and the sliding harmonies you hear in Hollywood songs about the X of Arabia.

Does anybody recognize this song? I tried googling the fragments of lyrics I remembered, but all I found was a (good) song by Antena called "Camino del Sol".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just got off the highway from listening to the Spanish-language station. There was a cha-cha sung by a Spanish woman (Spanish accent, not Mexican) about somebody named Sara, and each chorus ended with the line "el camino del Sol". The song was gloriously overproduced in a fake-Middle Eastern way, with castanets and the sliding harmonies you hear in Hollywood songs about the X of Arabia.

Does anybody recognize this song? I tried googling the fragments of lyrics I remembered, but all I found was a (good) song by Antena called "Camino del Sol".

There's a heck of a lot of remixes of that song on Youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7IE5_p2rE

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The original parody/meme of that infamous PSA comic on cuckoldry as a lifestyle. All I can remember from it is the like "compersion is a feeling of craig."

for the record i know where to find the original, it comes up very quickly, but i'm thinking of a specific edit of it where the words are jumbled up to be funny in that internet way.

e: never mind, apparently all i had to do was remember that line in the first place.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 4, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a heck of a lot of remixes of that song on Youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7IE5_p2rE
That's an instrumental remix, but so far I haven't been able to find the original; most of the things I can find are either band performances or the Antena song. Plus a heavy metal version. The original is a single woman vocalists, and sounded very '70s to me.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Back in 83/84 (I was around 20) I lived in Hong Kong and in my spare time I got a job as a film extra through Jackie Chan's company.

I only went on one job (not sure if it was a Jackie Chan movie or He just supplied the exrtas) and I'm hoping someone on here might recognise the film from my description of the few scenes I was in.

It was set in modern days in a walled mansion and there was a group of both Chinese and Gweilo (foreigners) extras in suits at a party in the evening.

Shot 1 was just us mingling (rhubarb rhubarb).

Shot 2 was us reacting to something happening on a stage. Some guy was running about with a flag we were keeping our eyes on and we had instrucions like "laugh" shouted at us.

That's all I rermember, It may never been used but if it was I doubt it lasted more than a few minute.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

JamesieAB posted:

Back in 83/84 (I was around 20) I lived in Hong Kong and in my spare time I got a job as a film extra through Jackie Chan's company.

I only went on one job (not sure if it was a Jackie Chan movie or He just supplied the exrtas) and I'm hoping someone on here might recognise the film from my description of the few scenes I was in.

It was set in modern days in a walled mansion and there was a group of both Chinese and Gweilo (foreigners) extras in suits at a party in the evening.

Shot 2 was us reacting to something happening on a stage. Some guy was running about with a flag we were keeping our eyes on and we had instrucions like "laugh" shouted at us.

That's all I rermember, It may never been used but if it was I doubt it lasted more than a few minute.

If no one gives you a better anwer, you could maybe start by looking at Jackie Chan's filmography:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Chan_filmography

... looking at the films made for the years in question, in the 1980's section, and checking out their plot summaries or getting copies from "sources."

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
There was an essay I read years and years ago here about how the orginal Predator movie was a metaphor for feminism, or how the Predator itself represented femininity.

It sounded silly at first, but I remember it turning out to make a bunch of really convincing arguments. I think it was just a random post, but it was a goon who wrote a lot of similar posts so there may be a chance they got collected somewhere.

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016

Dr_Amazing posted:

There was an essay I read years and years ago here about how the orginal Predator movie was a metaphor for feminism, or how the Predator itself represented femininity.

It sounded silly at first, but I remember it turning out to make a bunch of really convincing arguments. I think it was just a random post, but it was a goon who wrote a lot of similar posts so there may be a chance they got collected somewhere.

This will not help you in the least, but...

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/1008861922844860416

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

BigBadSteve posted:

If no one gives you a better anwer, you could maybe start by looking at Jackie Chan's filmography:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Chan_filmography

... looking at the films made for the years in question, in the 1980's section, and checking out their plot summaries or getting copies from "sources."

Thanks, I did a similar thing with a different list a few years back, but now I have better broadband I will download these 80's movies. Even if I don't find my scenes I will have some fun movies to watch.

Can anyone thinlk of any non Jackie Chan Hong Kong movies from this era?

JamesieAB fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 8, 2022

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

JamesieAB posted:

Thanks, I did a similar thing with a different list a few years back, but now I have better broadband I will download these 80's movies. Even if I don't find my scenes I will have some fun movies to watch.

Can anyone thinlk of any non Jackie Chan movies from this era?

Try looking at the starring vehicles for the extended Chaniverse around that time - Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao joints that Chan might've been involved in in a business sense.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

It's the thought that counts.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

JamesieAB posted:

Hong Kong was churning out movies back then, can you remember where the mansion was? That might help if the building has some historical importance.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

A russian prank video where two teenage boys walking out side a shopping center, one has a guitar and the prank guy runs up to them as if to steal the guitar and the skinnier kid without the guitar immediately starts throwing very fast punches to protect his friends guitar. It was from 4 or so years back.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

The SA photoshop thread where flappy fish was superimposed on images. I used it as my Discord AV, but it's been years since I've seen the thread.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

When I was young we had a series of cassette tapes in the 90s (USA) with stories and songs all done by the same two(?) female storytellers. But maybe it was just one. I remember that sometimes there was more than one voice at the same time and I don't know now if that was two different people or they doubled her voice.

I don't know if any of the stories/songs were original, but I do know that several of them were not. Some of them were:

-Sody Saleratus - about a family who went to get baking soda and then gotten eaten by a bear on the way home
-Orange Cheeks - about a kid who glued orange paper circles to his cheeks
-In a Dark, dark Wood - that haunting poem that repeats. This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUrwOG7JjNI
-A story about a dragon that has to breathe fire onto the sun because it has started to go cold and form ice. I especially remember this one when people start shouting at the end "It's yellow! It's yellow!"
-A story about a girl who liked to make mud figures and then let them dry in the sun. And I think a boy she wants to be friends with smashes them.
-A story I don't remember anything about right now except that the story teller at some point shouts "Sour pickles!" And that was hilarious to me and my brothers.

That's all I can dredge up right now and so far I haven't found anything via Google even for the ones I know names of. Hoping someone else might remember.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I read a wiki article years ago about a masked band/musical group from either the 70s or 80s. I think it had a mixture of female and male members whose identities to this day are still unknown. The wiki page made it seem like they are or were really popular, like the Beatles or Pink Floyd. Masked musical group searches just bring up Slipknot and Daftpunk etc. I think there was a story about how even their producer didn't know who they really were and had to go through some elaborate way of contacting them via phone but I may be confusing this with a Kraftwerk story.

Fake edit: it was The Residents.

Amniotic
Jan 23, 2008

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

a friendly penguin posted:

When I was young we had a series of cassette tapes in the 90s (USA) with stories and songs all done by the same two(?) female storytellers. But maybe it was just one. I remember that sometimes there was more than one voice at the same time and I don't know now if that was two different people or they doubled her voice.

I don't know if any of the stories/songs were original, but I do know that several of them were not. Some of them were:

-Sody Saleratus - about a family who went to get baking soda and then gotten eaten by a bear on the way home
-Orange Cheeks - about a kid who glued orange paper circles to his cheeks
-In a Dark, dark Wood - that haunting poem that repeats. This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUrwOG7JjNI
-A story about a dragon that has to breathe fire onto the sun because it has started to go cold and form ice. I especially remember this one when people start shouting at the end "It's yellow! It's yellow!"
-A story about a girl who liked to make mud figures and then let them dry in the sun. And I think a boy she wants to be friends with smashes them.
-A story I don't remember anything about right now except that the story teller at some point shouts "Sour pickles!" And that was hilarious to me and my brothers.

That's all I can dredge up right now and so far I haven't found anything via Google even for the ones I know names of. Hoping someone else might remember.

Amused myself by searching around for this. There's a duo called the Folktellers from the 80s https://www.discogs.com/release/8323641-The-Folktellers-Tales-to-Grow-On that has Sody Saleratus and Dark dark knight.

Orange Cheeks and The Little Dragon are by a storyteller called Jay O'Callahan. The folktellers and Callahan do both appear on a collection by the National Storytelling Festival, but not in the pile that you've got in that list. There's also a radio program out of Alaska called We Like Kids! that ran a bunch of what you've got there, http://www.alaska.net/~jbrown/WeLikeKids.html which means that it's almost certainly the case that other local radio stations did the same.

I've probably hit the wall without more story names. Is it possible that you're conflating different collections? The Folktellers seem pretty close to what you remember, stories aside.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
A PC math and/or spelling game from the early 90s with a wizard in it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Mind castle?

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Amniotic posted:

Amused myself by searching around for this. There's a duo called the Folktellers from the 80s https://www.discogs.com/release/8323641-The-Folktellers-Tales-to-Grow-On that has Sody Saleratus and Dark dark knight.

Orange Cheeks and The Little Dragon are by a storyteller called Jay O'Callahan. The folktellers and Callahan do both appear on a collection by the National Storytelling Festival, but not in the pile that you've got in that list. There's also a radio program out of Alaska called We Like Kids! that ran a bunch of what you've got there, http://www.alaska.net/~jbrown/WeLikeKids.html which means that it's almost certainly the case that other local radio stations did the same.

I've probably hit the wall without more story names. Is it possible that you're conflating different collections? The Folktellers seem pretty close to what you remember, stories aside.

Yes! and Yes! After I wrote this I wondered if there wasn't another storyteller because the Dragon story was definitely in a male voice. But for some reason I remember more of the folktellers. Looking at your links I also remember more of the tracks that are listed for the Folktellers being on the tapes. I thought I remembered the song Apples and Bananas being on there but didn't include it since I know it's been done by everyone and it wouldn't really help in the search process. Found youtube videos of all these storytellers and those voices all match up with my memory. "It's yellow! It's yellow!"

But still can't find the exact collection I had which I guess isn't that surprising since it was definitely just cassettes. But no mention of a collection with both of them on it. And I'm wondering if there weren't others too since I haven't seen anything that looks like the mud figure story in their lists of stories. And I seem to recall there being four tapes in the collection. So each tape might have been a different storyteller.

The search continues. A million thanks for getting me even closer.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yes! and Yes! After I wrote this I wondered if there wasn't another storyteller because the Dragon story was definitely in a male voice. But for some reason I remember more of the folktellers. Looking at your links I also remember more of the tracks that are listed for the Folktellers being on the tapes. I thought I remembered the song Apples and Bananas being on there but didn't include it since I know it's been done by everyone and it wouldn't really help in the search process. Found youtube videos of all these storytellers and those voices all match up with my memory. "It's yellow! It's yellow!"

But still can't find the exact collection I had which I guess isn't that surprising since it was definitely just cassettes. But no mention of a collection with both of them on it. And I'm wondering if there weren't others too since I haven't seen anything that looks like the mud figure story in their lists of stories. And I seem to recall there being four tapes in the collection. So each tape might have been a different storyteller.

If they were on the radio are you 100% sure this was an official collection and not something your parents put together for you?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

if it was a commercial release, you know about discogs right? you can peruse their releases there and filter by cassette format etc

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Splicer posted:

If they were on the radio are you 100% sure this was an official collection and not something your parents put together for you?

Yes, 100% sure. They had their own special case that we got to choose from. They weren't the blank tapes with hand written labels. No, we had plenty of those.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

if it was a commercial release, you know about discogs right? you can peruse their releases there and filter by cassette format etc

And yes, but it only returns results for each as individuals. And while technically they didn't work together (since I think each tape was had separate artists) they were all packaged in the same large, squeaky plastic binder. So some organization collected them and released them as a set.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

WorldCat has some results for the Folktellers. Looks like they had music and audio cassettes released through Weston Woods. https://www.worldcat.org/search?q=F...3Alp%2529format

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

I brought my Drake posted:

WorldCat has some results for the Folktellers. Looks like they had music and audio cassettes released through Weston Woods. https://www.worldcat.org/search?q=F...3Alp%2529format

No luck there with folktellers, but I searched Jay O'Callahan and on page 7 I think I found the collection we had: https://www.worldcat.org/title/storytelling-circle/oclc/40933286&referer=brief_results

Folktellers are listed as Barbara Freeman and Connie Regan so that's why the other search didn't have it.

I wanted to say it was Weston Woods because I remember the trees on the tapes but I omitted anything that I thought I might be misremembering or conflating. This collection also has a tape of the Brer Rabbit stories which I also remember but thought was a separate tape we had.

Also Angela the mud girl!

My own searches were thrown off because my mom told me we got the collection through Highlights for Children and that probably muddled my searches rather than helping.

Thanks, goons!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It's like a 10-second video.
Old cranky-looking northern(??) english guy: "my neighbours are always listening to that drum and bass music.... whether they like it or not" [furious bass commences]

Plz help, white whale thread, I am terrible at the google.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tree Bucket posted:

It's like a 10-second video.
Old cranky-looking northern(??) english guy: "my neighbours are always listening to that drum and bass music.... whether they like it or not" [furious bass commences]

Plz help, white whale thread, I am terrible at the google.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMHTQ8r9pQU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Astonishing
Bless you, noble Snowglobe

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
During the Alamo Drafthouse pre-show for "Bodies Bodies Bodies" tonight, one of the clips was a handful of white businessmen in suits sitting in an office. They opened a brick of cocaine, and when they did so, the powder began to fly up into the air and swirled all around the office like a snowstorm. A blonde maid came into the room which was now completely filled knee high with white powder, way more than was in the small ~1lb package of cocaine. The men had been transformed into fake looking plastic skeletons with no clothes. Then credits of this film came on. Some of the roles were "rat" "mr big" and "body double." I didn't recognize any of the actors' names and the film's title was not listed. I tried googling and imdb but came up short.

Does anyone know the title of this film?

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"

Invisible Clergy posted:

During the Alamo Drafthouse pre-show for "Bodies Bodies Bodies" tonight, one of the clips was a handful of white businessmen in suits sitting in an office. They opened a brick of cocaine, and when they did so, the powder began to fly up into the air and swirled all around the office like a snowstorm. A blonde maid came into the room which was now completely filled knee high with white powder, way more than was in the small ~1lb package of cocaine. The men had been transformed into fake looking plastic skeletons with no clothes. Then credits of this film came on. Some of the roles were "rat" "mr big" and "body double." I didn't recognize any of the actors' names and the film's title was not listed. I tried googling and imdb but came up short.

Does anyone know the title of this film?

That's an episode of The Hitchhiker called O.D. Feelin'. Gene Simmons is Mr. Big!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRXvAelbezM

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
That's it. Thanks!

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

The October 3, 2011 episode of MTV's Stand In.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone visit an NYU class, dishing some ok writing advice. It's a neat time capsule of 2011 NYU students, as well. I've found MTV's page on the Internet Archive, but the full episode itself has been difficult to track down.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

A PC math and/or spelling game from the early 90s with a wizard in it.

spelling jungle?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8ExY9JirO0&t=156s

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I was thinking it could also be a Super Solvers game, like Treasure Mountain or OutNumbered.

Timby fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 17, 2022

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

MachineryNoise posted:

That's an episode of The Hitchhiker called O.D. Feelin'. Gene Simmons is Mr. Big!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRXvAelbezM
Holy crap that's Ryan Stiles in there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
a mini webcomic of link running into a house, smashing up everything, plundering the rupees, and leaving the owner behind looking sad as he views the broken remnants of his home.
link had a very very focussed/stressed look onhis face, biting his lower lip i think.