Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

CubeTheory posted:

Hello Isekai thread, I'm CubeTheory, and I've been watching Isekai. Some of you may know me from one of the SA Discord servers, but I've been on a journey to watch as much fantasy isekai as I can as inspiration for an isekai tabletop rpg campaign I've been running. Over the last few months I've watched the following shows: (asterisks indicate they are currently running)

I'm looking for suggestions of things to add to this list. I may eventually shift to manga or web novels, but right now I'm really looking for anime as it makes sense for my current lifestyle.

I'd have to ask what angle you're looking to understand better wrt the isekai genre. I've seen most of the shows on your list and they all cover different areas of the venn diagram.

There's comedy, harem collector, heroes journey, power fantasy, vengance etc. that you've probably picked up on, so no point in recommending something like "The Misfit of Demon King Academy" if you're going for realism in your campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CubeTheory posted:

Hello Isekai thread, I'm CubeTheory, and I've been watching Isekai. Some of you may know me from one of the SA Discord servers, but I've been on a journey to watch as much fantasy isekai as I can as inspiration for an isekai tabletop rpg campaign I've been running. Over the last few months I've watched the following shows: (asterisks indicate they are currently running)

You've pretty much watched all the good poo poo. What exactly do you want help with?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You've pretty much watched all the good poo poo. What exactly do you want help with?

I think the only thing missing is Overlord, if they can stomach evil POVs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Tanya I guess?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Should watch Total Fantasy Knockout, although I'm not sure how that would help his game.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jackard posted:

Should watch Total Fantasy Knockout, although I'm not sure how that would help his game.

Oh it wouldn't help his game at all, but it's a fun watch and it is an isekai so it belongs on his list.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Watch that and El-Hazard, then have the Eye of God summon Meepon as the ultimate weapon.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 17, 2022

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Muv-Luv, though I guess it's probably been done better by some things on this list.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Dungeon Meshi (whenever that comes out) has incredible worldbuilding and is directly DnD inspired (even though it isn't an isekai).

If you aren't restricted to watching, read the manga

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

CubeTheory posted:

`Ascendance of a Bookworm`

You should absolutely read the light novels for this series.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Now that I think about it Sailor Moon is an isekei.

CubeTheory posted:

I'm looking for suggestions of things to add to this list. I may eventually shift to manga or web novels, but right now I'm really looking for anime as it makes sense for my current lifestyle.

Inuyasha
Those who hunt elves
God Mazinger
Rayearth
Genmu Senki Leda
Aura Battler Dunbine
Twelve Kingdoms

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

CubeTheory posted:

Magic Knight Rayearth

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

CubeTheory posted:

Once you're ready for manga, try Saihate no Paladin (The Faraway Paladin). The anime adaptation was not good, but the manga is fantastic, aside from some weak backgrounds in the earlier parts.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Kvantum posted:

Magic Knight Rayearth

If I were planning an Isekai RPG campaign this would definitely be up there for inspiration.

But does that say more about the anime or about how I run RPGs? Who knows.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

CubeTheory posted:

Hello Isekai thread, I'm CubeTheory, and I've been watching Isekai. Some of you may know me from one of the SA Discord servers, but I've been on a journey to watch as much fantasy isekai as I can as inspiration for an isekai tabletop rpg campaign I've been running.
Can I get an invite to the active ADTRW Discord? I only found a deserted one form the time Lowtax got deposed

CubeTheory posted:

Some recent anime you might have missed:

Shokei Shoujo no Virgin Road
Meikyuu Black Company
Bakarina (My Next Life as a Villainess), and then follow it up with Otomege Sekai wa Mob ni Kibishii, which was actually a lot better than anyone expected
Saihate no Paladin
How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom (bad, especially the second season which aired alongside Tensai Ouji no Akaji Kokka Saisei Jutsu , which isn't Isekai, but did everything Realist hero wanted to do a lot better)
I`m Standing on a Million Lives (100-man no Inochi no Ue ni Ore wa Tatte Iru) (this one was kind of weird because it could not really decide if it wanted to be grimdark or comedy)

Reverse-Isekai(?): Isekai Shokudou
also, Princess Connect , but the fact that it's isekai is a spoiler

Tamba fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 17, 2022

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Tamba posted:

Reverse-Isekai(?): Isekai Shokudou

Isekai Izakaya Nobu is on the same lines as that one and I seem to recall it also had an anime.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the anime was pretty good, but I didn't particularly enjoy the live action segments.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

`The 8th Son? Are You Kidding Me?`
`Black Summoner*`
`By the Grace of the Gods`
`Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious`
`Demon Lord, Retry!`
`Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody`
`Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!`
`Endride`
`The Familiar of Zero`
`The Greatest Demon Lord Is Reborn as a Typical Nobody`
`Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash`
`How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom`
`In Another World with My Smartphone`
`I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level`
`Isekai Cheat Magician`
`Ixion Saga DT`
`Knight's & Magic`
`KonoSuba`
`Log Horizon`
`Tensei Kenja no Isekai Life*`
`The Master of Ragnarok & Blesser of Einherjar`
`The Misfit of Demon King Academy`
`Mushoku Tensei`
`No Game No Life`
`Parallel World Pharmacy*`
`Problem Children Are Coming from Another World, Aren't They?`
`Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World`
`Seirei Gensouki: Spirit Chronicles`
`So I'm a Spider, So What?`
`The Strongest Sage With the Weakest Crest`
`That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime`
`Tsukimichi: Moonlit Fantasy`
`The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent`
`The World's Finest Assassin Gets Reincarnated in Another World as an Aristocrat`
`The Vision of Escaflowne`
`Wise Man's Grandchild`

If you just want to watch it, clearly Army of Darkness

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

There's a lotta Digimon being skipped in that list.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RareAcumen posted:

There's a lotta Digimon being skipped in that list.

Digimon Adventure and Digimon Frontier are technically isekai but don’t belong in any conversation about the heavily codified trope filled isekai of the last ten years

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
remember, isekai that i personally like do not count as isekai

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Digimon Adventure and Digimon Frontier are technically isekai but don’t belong in any conversation about the heavily codified trope filled isekai of the last ten years
I don't think the request is to just hand out more gamey isekai (which is ironic because Digimon itself is a game franchise first) but just other isekai anime to put on the list. Plus if they have already seen The Familiar of Zero and Escaflowne there's plenty of room to recommend stuff not from the last decade.

Also, because most of my picks have been mentioned I'll just put up Marchen Awaken's Romance, with the caveat that I've only read the manga but there's an anime of it as well.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Tunicate posted:

If you just want to watch it, clearly Army of Darkness

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court or John Carter of Mars are really the proto-Isekai

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

remember, isekai that i personally like do not count as isekai

I like a number of modern isekai I just think that distinctions should be made between the modern isekai boom and older portal fantasy

Brought To You By posted:

I don't think the request is to just hand out more gamey isekai (which is ironic because Digimon itself is a game franchise first) but just other isekai anime to put on the list. Plus if they have already seen The Familiar of Zero and Escaflowne there's plenty of room to recommend stuff not from the last decade.

Also, because most of my picks have been mentioned I'll just put up Marchen Awaken's Romance, with the caveat that I've only read the manga but there's an anime of it as well.

Because I can’t help myself, Digimon started as a series of virtual pets, not games.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

The junk collector posted:

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court or John Carter of Mars are really the proto-Isekai

The Neverending Story is 100% isekai, especially the novel.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Because I can’t help myself, Digimon started as a series of virtual pets, not games.
Because I also can't help myself. Virtual pets are just video games based on managing stats.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

CubeTheory posted:

`Black Summoner*`
`Demon Lord, Retry!`
`Endride`
`The Familiar of Zero`
`Isekai Cheat Magician`
`Ixion Saga DT`
`Knight's & Magic`
`KonoSuba`
`Log Horizon`
`Mushoku Tensei`
`No Game No Life`
`The World's Finest Assassin Gets Reincarnated in Another World as an Aristocrat`
`Wise Man's Grandchild`

Faraway Paladin

Strongly recommend the manga over the anime for Paladin.

Reincarnated as a Sword and is also getting an Anime soon I think and Word Master is pretty okay.

Some not necessarily isekai, but very DnD and Dragon Quest centric stuff I recommend are the following with asterisk if animated or getting one soon.

Undead Adventurer*

Helck*

The Hero is Dead*

Don't Cry Maou-chan

Bard Roen, Knight of the Frontier

Wolf Won't Sleep(still super loving pissed this got canceled)

Shangri-la Frontier*

Edit: I recall Ariadne of the Blue Sky being well regarded. As an aside, I'm trying to recall a manga I read some months ago. Kind of steampunk or dieselpunk(think Sky Captain or something)and that it had airships and sky islands and was about an android girl looking for her scientist "father" while traving with his apprentice and looking for this lost civilization region. Can't for the life of me remember the name**.

** Asebi and the Sky World

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 18, 2022

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

The Wizard of Oz has entered the chat.

Also if you want to watch some loving trippy, horrifying poo poo that basically qualifies as Isekai, watch Disney's Return to Oz. The Beware the Wheelers scene is like what if you had the original Wizard of Oz and then the bad guys were escapees from a Gwar concert that had their hands and feet replaced by wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM0RFE3QGAU

Also it had electroshock medical horror, a screaming hall of women's heads and an animated flying couch with the head of a moose that talked.

That entire movie is bonkers and you can't help but stare at it and wonder what the gently caress Disney was doing in the 80's.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 18, 2022

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

CubeTheory posted:

`Black Summoner*`
`Demon Lord, Retry!`
`Endride`
`The Familiar of Zero`
`Isekai Cheat Magician`
`Ixion Saga DT`
`Knight's & Magic`
`KonoSuba`
`Log Horizon`
`Mushoku Tensei`
`No Game No Life`
`Wise Man's Grandchild`

Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear (transported to a video game variety)
Bofuri (no isekai involved at all, its just funny idiots playing a VR game, but has a lot of isekai tropes)

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Ice Phisherman posted:

The Wizard of Oz has entered the chat.

Also if you want to watch some loving trippy, horrifying poo poo that basically qualifies as Isekai, watch Disney's Return to Oz. The Beware the Wheelers scene is like what if you had the original Wizard of Oz and then the bad guys were escapees from a Gwar concert that had their hands and feet replaced by wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM0RFE3QGAU

Also it had electroshock medical horror, a screaming hall of women's heads and an animated flying couch with the head of a moose that talked.

That entire movie is bonkers and you can't help but stare at it and wonder what the gently caress Disney was doing in the 80's.

You've come to a land called *Whipcrack* Gor!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Ice Phisherman posted:

They were poorly combing and adapting the 2nd and 3rd Oz novels.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

You've come to a land called *Whipcrack* Gor!

I think I read one of those way back when. It's the series where BDSM and slavery are the dominating paradigms of human society correct? So not only did Edgar Rice Burrough with John Carter influence Isekai but so did John Norman.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Here is a fun one for you guys.

Academy's Undercover Professor

It's Korean, not Japanese, but it's got some notable things that make it stand out. There's a very distinct lack of the korean grinding mindset, and also it has a very magical steampunk-ish world. The MC is isekai'ed but it isn't really brought up much, mostly just one of those background details that explains things like his naming sense and whatnot.

The TL;DR - Protagonist is on a train with a brand new professor. Train is attacked by terrorists, professor is killed and protagonist has to take his place to avoid being investigated by the local authorities. Only when he gets to the school he finds out the professor was actually an undercover agent working for some group and he has to not only pretend to be the professor but ALSO pretend to be a spy when has no clue what the agency he's spying for is or is after.

It's only just starting but it's been quite a bit of fun so far IMO.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

CubeTheory posted:

Another one I just thought of and can't believe I forgot to recommend: it's not Isekai at all, but most certainly is RPG-based.

Record of Lodoss War, OVA or TV series.

I mean, if we're mentioning old school classics, why not go all the way back?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

khy posted:

Here is a fun one for you guys.

Academy's Undercover Professor

It's Korean, not Japanese, but it's got some notable things that make it stand out. There's a very distinct lack of the korean grinding mindset, and also it has a very magical steampunk-ish world. The MC is isekai'ed but it isn't really brought up much, mostly just one of those background details that explains things like his naming sense and whatnot.

The TL;DR - Protagonist is on a train with a brand new professor. Train is attacked by terrorists, professor is killed and protagonist has to take his place to avoid being investigated by the local authorities. Only when he gets to the school he finds out the professor was actually an undercover agent working for some group and he has to not only pretend to be the professor but ALSO pretend to be a spy when has no clue what the agency he's spying for is or is after.

It's only just starting but it's been quite a bit of fun so far IMO.

I just glanced at the first few chapters and the poor, genre ignorant fool doesn't realize that since there was no body, it's 100% confirmed the guy he's replacing is going to show back up eventually.

Otherwise it seems alright so far. The tone kind of reminds me of I'm Really Not the Demon Lord's Lackey, though it's a bit less crazy misunderstandings with it.

Edit: I say less wacky and then the next chapter has a were-pomeranian

Bremen fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 19, 2022

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005

Bremen posted:

Edit: I say less wacky and then the next chapter has a were-pomeranian

And see, just like that I have to read it.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Thank you all for the many suggestions, I'm sorting through them and figuring out what I'm going to watch. If you have any more, feel free.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

And see, just like that I have to read it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kvantum posted:

Another one I just thought of and can't believe I forgot to recommend: it's not Isekai at all, but most certainly is RPG-based.

Record of Lodoss War, OVA or TV series.

I mean, if we're mentioning old school classics, why not go all the way back?

Slayers and Rune Soldier Louie are also good suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I am trying to remember the name of an isekai manga:
A class gets transported in generic fantasy hero roles.
Main girl is assigned as an aprentice to an older hero who was isekaied a generation ago. Both of them are main characters.
Older dude eventually gets a happy relationship with a woman his own age who is the tutor of the girl's friend.
At some point some reincarnators run away to build slave harems and the protag team go out and brutally kill them as punishment.

e: it is Kurogane no Mahoutsukai
also, while looking I found Plant Monster Girl Diary

quote:

Our protagonist is a saint—or was, until she was betrayed by one of her fellow saint apprentices as well as her fiancé, a hero.
In her final moments, she recalls her previous life, when she was just a normal Japanese high school girl, but that doesn't help the fact that she's being eaten alive by a massive plant monster.
And yet, by a stroke of luck, she doesn't die for good, but instead reincarnates as said plant monster. With the upper half of a human and the lower half of a plant, she must now spend her life as an Alraune.
Looks interesting.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 25, 2022