Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you going to watch ONE's debut on Prime Video?
This poll is closed.
Yes 10 25.00%
No 8 20.00%
I don't know what that is 5 12.50%
I don't know what that is but gently caress Jeff Bezos 17 42.50%
Total: 40 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

reeg posted:

I was actually surprised at how good Dom looked in this fight. Genuinely seemed better than ever in his late 30s with so many miles on his body and a speed/timing-based style. Of course the sport catches up to you anyway, so you can wrestlefuck Joe Benavidez and Mighty Mouse, get even better, and still get kicked to death ten years later

He looked good, but he definitely has reined in his crazy lateral stuff to a degree. His speed and exploding into those blitzes was definitely impressive, but I think a younger Dom would have juust slipped out of the way of that fight ender. That or still had the chin to fight through it.

Also, does anyone think Iasmin Lucinda resembles Cung Le?
Hands down fight stance, check. Thick midsection, check. Haircut, check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

kimbo305 posted:

He looked good, but he definitely has reined in his crazy lateral stuff to a degree. His speed and exploding into those blitzes was definitely impressive, but I think a younger Dom would have juust slipped out of the way of that fight ender. That or still had the chin to fight through it.

Dom looked very good until he didn't, but I don't think there's ever been a bantamweight on the planet who eats that kick and stays concious.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bantamweight is kind of crazy deep when you think about it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dom should fight out the rest of his contract against fighters from outside of the top 15,or at least without big KO power, to get some low damage wins where he gets to look good, then he can ride off into the sunset.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Cruz still looks good but considerably more chinny than he used to. If Aldo loses to Merab this week, I'd love to see a showdown between the 135 and 145 GOATs. Cruz/Edgar could also be a fun and punching power-appropriate send-off for Edgar (or both of them).

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Skjorte posted:

Cruz still looks good but considerably more chinny than he used to. If Aldo loses to Merab this week, I'd love to see a showdown between the 135 and 145 GOATs. Cruz/Edgar could also be a fun and punching power-appropriate send-off for Edgar (or both of them).

Ah yes, the "you both got your face rearranged by Chito's foot" matchmaking, perfect.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Dom should fight out the rest of his contract against fighters from outside of the top 15,or at least without big KO power, to get some low damage wins where he gets to look good, then he can ride off into the sunset.

I remember when part of his recovery story was saying that he finally got over the need to have the belt to prove to himself that he was a good fighter.
I don't think he has anything left to prove. He took his super weird style and make it work against some of the best fighters. He doesn't need to put in any more fights to cement whatever legacy people have in their minds.

Of course I'm sure there's some financial incentive to finish out his contract, but his desk job seems pretty secure. Dunno what the broader internet thinks about his commentary style.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
His commentary loving sucks but getting hit in the head more probably won't make it any better.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
10 Things UFC Champion Jiri Prochazka Can't Live Without

(Thumbnail is him holding a samurai sword)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FqcxBnBa74

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Of course I'm sure there's some financial incentive to finish out his contract, but his desk job seems pretty secure. Dunno what the broader internet thinks about his commentary style.

Grudges
On air bickering
Underhooks

Is Big John still commentating?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Listening to some Youtuber dissect how much Schaub sucks, and he used this pic from the Reebok sponsorship debut

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

kimbo305 posted:

Listening to some Youtuber dissect how much Schaub sucks, and he used this pic from the Reebok sponsorship debut

Who's behind Miesha there? And is that OAM? Otherwise I don't know the curly hair guy either. Assuming that's Yair Rodriguez behind curly hair guy too, it's a little hard to be sure. The rest seem pretty obvious.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Brut posted:

Who's behind Miesha there? And is that OAM? Otherwise I don't know the curly hair guy either. Assuming that's Yair Rodriguez behind curly hair guy too, it's a little hard to be sure. The rest seem pretty obvious.

Gooch is on the left, and I assumed it was OAM, yeah.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

From left
Kyoji Horiguchi I think signed with Rizin but Belator as well? Still active
Miesha Tate Reitred in 2016. Came back in 2021 and is 1-2
Jacare Reitred in August 2021. Apparently has a fight next week.
Hendrcks Retired; ACAB
Jimi Manuwa Retired June 2019
Rory McDonald Just got knocked out this past Saturday in the PFL main event and has since retired.
Jacare Reitred in August 2021. Apparently has a fight next week. https://twitter.com/VestnikMMA/status/1546843021752279040?t=ctenos6bsKzPxl2NYDHO7A&s=19
Jimi Manuwa Retired June 2019
Alexander Gustafsson Retired in June 2019. Came back in July 2020 and lost both fights since
Conor McGregor
Pettis Active in PFL
Khabib Retired. Runs Eagle FC and coaches a dozens of fighters
Cain Retired. On trial for attempted murder
PVZ Retired. Signed to AEW
OAM Active in PFL
Yair Active UFC
Dong Hyun Kim Retired in 2017

Edit: had the wrong order

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 15, 2022

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Oh right Horiguchi was on the roster back then, I forgot.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Shane Burgos just announced he's signed with the PFL. Although he's 'only' ranked 14th in the division and his last fight with Jourdain could've gone either way, he was clearly still of value to the promotion in the sense that he's delivered really fun fight of the night-quality bouts in his last 4 appearances. Happy for him that he gets to go get paid.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/PFLMMA/status/1559228073869991941

The UFC failing to re-sign a top 15 featherweight on a two-fight win streak with four fight of the night awards is, uh, unfortunate.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Weird, here's Dana saying they were absolutely going to re-sign Shane

https://twitter.com/jasoneg33/status/1559238799892234240?t=waToOhZH4EFNeRCqnWTg-w&s=19

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Having looked it up, during his rise as a contender Burgos was making $26k/26k, and on this last four-fight deal he was making $75k/75k, and I'd bet anything that since he went 2-2 they were offering him the same deal or at best a raise to $90k/90k

so when you have PFL dropping $750k a fight on Pettis, I assume Burgos is getting lower six figures

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

https://twitter.com/jasoneg33/status/1559238799892234240?t=waToOhZH4EFNeRCqnWTg-w&s=19

I knew this had happened cuz my Don't Believe His Lies tattoo was burning something fierce.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Also, didnt Nate the Train just call out Burgos? Something about how he would downgrade Hurricane Shane to a tropical storm?

I realize nobody can understand anything Landwehr says, but I could have sworn I saw that written up from Saturday night

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Bantamweight is kind of crazy deep when you think about it.

Bantamweight has had a good upper tier since it came into the UFC but it's currently probably the best division in the sport.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

Also, didnt Nate the Train just call out Burgos? Something about how he would downgrade Hurricane Shane to a tropical storm?

I realize nobody can understand anything Landwehr says, but I could have sworn I saw that written up from Saturday night

you remember correctly. This was a surprise.

Burgos still hasn't cycled through UFC Roster Watch. Though Nina Nunes has.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

He keeps getting work!

https://twitter.com/BigMarcel24/status/1559292502779346945

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Wow I remember when that guy would never fight in the UFC again

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

:raise: suggests he just got told who he was fighting.

mewse
May 2, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

He keeps getting work!

3 fights in 6 years?? The UFC version of a tomato can is an odd beast

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

LobsterMobster posted:

Notice the phrasing there "we would", not "we will". He already knew.

TheKingslayer posted:

Wow I remember when that guy would never fight in the UFC again

Heh yeah, he fought since then and now has a Tapology entry that reads "Win · Eye Gouge" :D

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
holy poo poo that Landwehr-Onama fight.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Head Bee Guy posted:

holy poo poo that Landwehr-Onama fight.

Yes, but also every Landwehr fight.

https://twitter.com/BryanBattle10/status/1559507049637085184

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Listening to some Youtuber dissect how much Schaub sucks

telling us this and not linking it is some sicko torture technique why do u hate us so much what did we do :cry:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

it's probably Napoleon Blownapart. He goes after Schaub all the time.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

telling us this and not linking it is some sicko torture technique why do u hate us so much what did we do :cry:

It's pretty dry, recommend watching at 1.75x.
The run-in with Bobby Lee was news to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY2WkhUYZ1Q

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The YouTube MCN that Rogan and Schaub are part of (Bent Pixels) love their copyright claims despite the content falling under fair use which is ironic since Joe keeps crying about people being silenced and free speech etc.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Dana White did another interview to talk about how fighters will never make more money because it would ruin the sport, but he also had comment on Burgos:

quote:

White did take the blame for the defection of featherweight contender Shane Burgos, who was ranked 14th, to the PFL. Burgos announced to MMA Fighting on Monday that he signed a new deal with the PFL.

Burgos posted a bag of money emoji on Twitter when the PFL announced his deal.

White said Tuesday the UFC should have kept Burgos.

“That’s a good question,” White said when asked why the company didn’t keep Burgos. “How do I answer that question? Basically, there were some mistakes that were made here, some s*** that … he should have still been here. I respect him very much and I wish him the best. A hundred percent [mistakes were made on the UFC side]. A hundred percent. Big mistakes were made over here."

And you could charitably read that as Dana having a rare moment of honesty and saying the UFC should've bid higher, or treated Burgos more fairly, and then you see Burgos dropped this little tidbit when he spoke to Helwani:
https://twitter.com/mma_kings/status/1559228625450422274
so what he's really saying is the UFC's big mistake was allowing Burgos to freely seek new contracts without legal entanglement because they assumed no one would pay him poo poo

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That's just arrogance cuz the other orgs' pay structures are pretty visible.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

There was some show after Saturday's fights where one of the women fighters was being interviewed and she was hoping to get a fight bonus for the night and the interviewer said something along the lines of, "Well you didn't get a bonus but it doesn't get any better than going out there and fighting in front of a fully packed arena" when they had just got done bragging about selling out the arena and all their PPV buys.

Some of them got bad brains because gently caress that pay me.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 17, 2022

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

It's pretty dry, recommend watching at 1.75x.
The run-in with Bobby Lee was news to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY2WkhUYZ1Q

Imagine getting into any kind of beef with bobby Lee and losing. The dudes the most insufferable human being.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
UFC 278 looking good. Rockhold v Costa, that's some guilt free enjoyable violence right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Hollandia posted:

UFC 278 looking good. Rockhold v Costa, that's some guilt free enjoyable violence right there.

somehow the exact same guy and polar opposites at the same time. costa is like if rockhold didn't feel the need to act like the cool guy in his head he invented when he was 14. and also if rockhold had worse skills but a really good chin.