Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think tastes and personal worth are something that's hard to sift through when you're dealing with media and art that is dominated so wholly by one giant thing. Nobody is in deep enough with everything that interests them to move past the stuff that has mass market appeal and sift through the smaller projects.
Right, but someone's tastes in the areas where they do elect to push past the mass market stuff and look at more niche things is probably very telling, precisely because that's the area they are probably the most passionate about and have the most developed thoughts on.

Someone who loves 5E might only know 5E. Someone who loves Lamentations of the Flame Princess and Vornheim and MYFAROG and is suspiciously fast to pull out the "separate the art from the artist!" line has probably made a studied, considered choice to be that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'd agree if someone's in deep enough that for some reason they're championing MYFAROG, then they're doing it because they're a neo-nazi. It's not a game that has any other appealing or playable aspects to it.

Lamentations of the Flame Princess stuff... if someone's already giving me weird vibes I'd pass on them. If they seemed reasonable otherwise, I'd want to hear an explanation for why they like that game over any other halfway decent OSR or D&D-ish game that isn't connected to Raggi or Zak. Plus how they'd miss all the poo poo involving them the past few 5+ years. I don't think they could give a good explanation but maybe there's a 5% chance they really did miss it from not being in the right online circles or only getting a specific spin on the situation?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Plenty of people wandered past a booth at gencon or just a rack at the game store, bought a thing, took it home to play it, and had no further interaction with the weird world of online RPG drama. I think it's fair to say most trad gamers don't habitually churn through twitter or post on forums about the RPGs they play.

I would guess that most people who play D&D have no idea who mike mearls is.

A significant proportion of american adults cannot name who the current president of the united states is. We live in a society where it's absurdly easy to be uninformed about all manner of things.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

You're both right and that's why I used "and" not "or" when listing those products. The occasional lapse in taste is inevitable and not worth commenting on, it's when there's a consistent pattern that I side-eye. If someone's boosting chud products on the regular as part of a consistent pattern I will likely not trust them, even if they've not gone as far as MYFAROG.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Warthur posted:

:hmmyes: This is a big reason why I tend to prefer games where there's ample stuff to do that isn't fights - think Call of Cthulhu where investigating and searching places and interviewing witnesses takes up more time than fights, and avoiding combat is clever and part of the challenge, for instance.

I think part of the issue is that games too often don't really have loss mechanics for fights other than TPKs - or if they do, many players prefer the TPK to them because they would rather their character die than roleplay being prisoners, or having to pay a ransom and owe service to an enemy, or otherwise suffer that sort of setback. It's a bit of a surprise to me that outside of the DCC funnel mechanic, combat-oriented games haven't embraced a troupe approach more; imagine a game where character gen is fast and easy, so you can quickly generate not just the core party but a deep bench of hirelings and footsoldiers and the like, so if your PC dies you can pick up one of the background NPCs and promote them to the core party. It'd make the "if we lose this one fight, then that's the whole campaign trashed" issue much less acute.
The other root problem is that most combat systems are terrified of long term consequences. Your two options are "Character dies/TPK" or "You win with no mechanical downsides that won't go away with a nice nap". WFRP3E was very good because the separate health/sanity/corruption/stress tickers meant you were always on the verge of suffering some form of consequence, and it was odd to get into a fight where you didn't come out with at least one new long-term injury, madness, or mutation per character. So a fight going really well means you only come out of it with a couple of new injuries that will probably go away overnight, while a fight going bad means multiple new broken, phantom, or tentaclised limbs to deal with.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'd agree if someone's in deep enough that for some reason they're championing MYFAROG, then they're doing it because they're a neo-nazi. It's not a game that has any other appealing or playable aspects to it.

Lamentations of the Flame Princess stuff... if someone's already giving me weird vibes I'd pass on them. If they seemed reasonable otherwise, I'd want to hear an explanation for why they like that game over any other halfway decent OSR or D&D-ish game that isn't connected to Raggi or Zak. Plus how they'd miss all the poo poo involving them the past few 5+ years. I don't think they could give a good explanation but maybe there's a 5% chance they really did miss it from not being in the right online circles or only getting a specific spin on the situation?
A very non-chuddish friend of mine picked up LotFP and because it looked cool and had absolutely no idea why I was all "What? Ew, gross."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Parkreiner posted:

I feel like Reign cries out for this (between its Company meta-character serving the same purpose as Delta Green as an IC reason for new replacement characters to not break campaign continuity and its one-roll-character option) but that game is sufficiently obscure that I’m not aware of anyone trying. One day I will!
Pitch it to Stolze and he'll probably do it himself.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

CitizenKeen posted:

My secret shame is that I prefer the 5E port.

Get out of my Dropbox

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Discussions around gatekeeping as it relates to hobbies feels faintly ridiculous to me. In the academic and minority identity space it's about whether or not you have access to career progression or community support, respectively.

Being gatekept out of tabletop gaming spaces? communities? for liking DnD is an absurd premise - the vast majority of tabletop gaming spaces and communities are exclusively focused on DnD, and the existence of a space where people don't like or don't talk about DnD doesn't meaningfully affect someone's access to games, people to talk to, or media to consume.

It kind of feels like what's being discussed when people talk about gatekeeping here is being kept from the esteem of playing tabletop games the most correctly? idk what do people here actually mean when they're raising it?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I don't think I've seen a PbtA game in the vein of Dungeon World that I thought made good use of , uh, tA. Too many stats, rolling for damage, bad Defy Dangers, and the like, making an engine better suited to relationships, power, and drama into the same-ish thing you get when you try to run everything through D&D. Not necessarily bad, but a misapplication for sure.

the new edition of 13th Age should be 13.5th Age

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

is that good posted:

Discussions around gatekeeping as it relates to hobbies feels faintly ridiculous to me. In the academic and minority identity space it's about whether or not you have access to career progression or community support, respectively.

Being gatekept out of tabletop gaming spaces? communities? for liking DnD is an absurd premise - the vast majority of tabletop gaming spaces and communities are exclusively focused on DnD, and the existence of a space where people don't like or don't talk about DnD doesn't meaningfully affect someone's access to games, people to talk to, or media to consume.

It kind of feels like what's being discussed when people talk about gatekeeping here is being kept from the esteem of playing tabletop games the most correctly? idk what do people here actually mean when they're raising it?
Think about how women are often treated when they say they like nerdy things and you get the idea of what gatekeeping looks like in a hobby space. "Oh you claim to like star trek? Name every star trek actor. Oh you can't? Fake geek girl". Whiny nerds very much try to keep "the wrong sort" out of the hobby or to declare them not REAL RPG players, the wrong sort being anyone who in any way threatens the little kingdom they have carved out or pay fealty to.

However a bunch of nerds on an aging pay-to-post internet forum making GBS threads on the most popular RPG on the market for its very real mechanical failings and the lovely actions of its makers is not gatekeeping.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

CaptCommy posted:

What are the 3rd party supplements that stood out to you?

The gold standard has to be Dark Alleys and Twisted Paths and Dark Pacts and Ancient Secrets by Martin Killman. They're such common recommendations for the 13th Age community that they have a dedicated channel in the 13th Age Discord. They're mostly great: Killman rebuilds and expands the classes a lot to make up for a lot of gaps in the core book. Ranged rogues, for example. And Killman rebuilt the Druid from the ground up to map to the framework of the Demonologist, and the Druid is better for it. One small hiccup - Killman's attempt at a more mechanically-satisfying Barbarian, called the Savage, was a little regressive in some phrasing, but it's my understanding he's apologized for that.

The King of Dungeons by Baz Stevens is a great hack. The Overworld and Beyond is a great expansion of the implied setting[1]. And technically the Glorantha sourcebook is 3rd Party, though it's by the authors of 13th Age.

Edit: Also, I'm really sad we'll probably never see 13th Agency, the modern version of 13th Age by Cam Banks and Dave Chalker.

[1] I'll actually defend the setting, I think it's great at what it's meant to do, and people wishing it were less generic are missing the point.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 17, 2022

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"gatekeeping" used as a pejorative is just an attempt to turn anti-intellectualism and geek social fallacies #1 into a virtue. you don't need the word to describe or condemn bigotry; its only real rhetorical use is to try and cast any ostracism or criticism of taste as being just as bad as sexism / racism / etc.

e: which is to say: there's no moral dimension to having bad taste; aesthetics alone never hurt anyone. but there's no moral dimension to social insularity over taste, either.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 17, 2022

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You post on Something Awful which means you have presumably met a Dark Souls fan before. Are you sure gatekeeping isn't real?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

You post on Something Awful which means you have presumably met a Dark Souls fan before.

If not, I'm sure I have a mirror around here somewhere.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Gatekeeping is real, it has just been overused to describe petty bullshit instead

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm not saying gatekeeping isn't real. I'm saying that if I thought it were a bad thing, I wouldn't still be posting on a forum that costs $10 to get in. :v:

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Splicer posted:

The other root problem is that most combat systems are terrified of long term consequences. Your two options are "Character dies/TPK" or "You win with no mechanical downsides that won't go away with a nice nap". WFRP3E was very good because the separate health/sanity/corruption/stress tickers meant you were always on the verge of suffering some form of consequence, and it was odd to get into a fight where you didn't come out with at least one new long-term injury, madness, or mutation per character. So a fight going really well means you only come out of it with a couple of new injuries that will probably go away overnight, while a fight going bad means multiple new broken, phantom, or tentaclised limbs to deal with.

Doesn't this lead to your character being increasingly crippled as the campaign goes on?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I let the gatekeeping thing go because Leperflesh asked us to. Y’all should do the same.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

CitizenKeen posted:

The gold standard has to be Dark Alleys and Twisted Paths and Dark Pacts and Ancient Secrets by Martin Killman. They're such common recommendations for the 13th Age community that they have a dedicated channel in the 13th Age Discord. They're mostly great: Killman rebuilds and expands the classes a lot to make up for a lot of gaps in the core book. Ranged rogues, for example. And Killman rebuilt the Druid from the ground up to map to the framework of the Demonologist, and the Druid is better for it. One small hiccup - Killman's attempt at a more mechanically-satisfying Barbarian, called the Savage, was a little regressive in some phrasing, but it's my understanding he's apologized for that.

The King of Dungeons by Baz Stevens is a great hack. The Overworld and Beyond is a great expansion of the implied setting[1]. And technically the Glorantha sourcebook is 3rd Party, though it's by the authors of 13th Age.

Edit: Also, I'm really sad we'll probably never see 13th Agency, the modern version of 13th Age by Cam Banks and Dave Chalker.

[1] I'll actually defend the setting, I think it's great at what it's meant to do, and people wishing it were less generic are missing the point.

I want the 17th Age sci-fi hack

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

is that good posted:

THANK YOU, I thought I was losing my mind!

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

homullus posted:

I don't think I've seen a PbtA game in the vein of Dungeon World that I thought made good use of , uh, tA.

PbtA may be a bad fit for D&Disms, but FitD it's actually a weirdly good fit in some ways. Free Kriegspiel leans about as hard into the 'Old' in OSR as it's possible to do, but is structurally really close to FitD in how it builds everything around fiction-driven framing techniques.

Horseshoe theory is real, but only for OSR/Storygame mechanics

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If not, I'm sure I have a mirror around here somewhere.

Turn off your monitor.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BearsBearsBears posted:

Doesn't this lead to your character being increasingly crippled as the campaign goes on?
It depends on the execution, which depends on the desired design goals for your system. In base WFRP3E on the spot healing is rare but almost all injuries etc. are usually ultimately removable, so over the adventure you'll pick up various ailments but "and then we all spend six months in the hospital and/insane asylum before our next adventure" is fine, as is "Greg retires with his pile of gold and bad knee". But also leveling is more granular and flexible than D&D's 1 to 20/30, so you break your arm in a fight you'll probably be picking up an upgrade and also you can swap your shield bash card out of its slot to swap in something equally good but single-arm equivalent as opposed to suddenly being unable to use half your sheet. Or swap out your fast cut card for something to let you shield bash everyone even harder. Also strictly speaking there's no "broken arm" in the base game it's something like "incapacitated arm" with a chance to heal over time during the campaign, so your banjaxedness is in a constant state of flux.

Basically the whole system is designed around the idea of getting various degrees of injured/traumatised/mutated by magic uranium over the course of the campaign. For another system you might need to go different route but the base idea is that the player expects the built in mechanical effects of an encounter to at least stick around for a few days, whatever those results are.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly the weakness of PBTA is if you're not in for the very particular fiction that the game is trying to be, it doesn't really have anything for anyone else. They are all super bespoke to what they can do.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'd argue that's a strength, not a weakness, honestly. But I imagine its a matter of perspective.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

is that good posted:

If you're constantly being told that you're playing RPG's wrong, or constantly challenged to show your bonafides to prove that you belong, eventually it starts to feel easier to just leave rather than put up with the constant bullshit. And if someone sees you buying the "wrong" edition and takes it upon themselves to snobbily correct you, the end result is usually that you will buy no edition. It's gatekeeping because it's keeping people out of the hobby for 'doing it wrong' or being insufficiently nerdy. and when Women are involved it also turns into the whole "Oh you're just a fake gamer girl"(Girl proves that they are not, in fact, fake)"Are you single I need to gently caress you now." loop.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's also worth noting that RPGs are not entirely a hobby space. There is an industry behind it, and you'll never guess what colour gender and age range is overwhelming represented in the biggest fish in the pond. So even by that definition of gatekeeping it is definitely still an issue, and the two feed into each other.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

homullus posted:

I don't think I've seen a PbtA game in the vein of Dungeon World that I thought made good use of , uh, tA. Too many stats, rolling for damage, bad Defy Dangers, and the like, making an engine better suited to relationships, power, and drama into the same-ish thing you get when you try to run everything through D&D. Not necessarily bad, but a misapplication for sure.

the new edition of 13th Age should be 13.5th Age

Is The Sword, The Crown, and The Unspeakable Power "in the vein of Dungeon World"? It's a fantasy setting, but it's not trying at all to be a dungeon crawler, it's about the power machinations of a whole-rear end society.

Apocalypse World splits it up among the big players: you've got people who are good at dealing with short-term crises, and you've got people who are good at dealing with long-term problems and providing long-term direction. They're not just all going to close down their hardhold and traipse across the desert to scavenge an old burn pit.

Dungeon World deals exclusively with a bunch of different flavors of the guys who go scavenge the burn pit.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The issue I had with Monster of the Week is that unlike AW, it doesn't really drive home any particular atmosphere, tone, or even genre, beyond "monster hunting." I think almost every MOTW game I saw online went with the conceit of a professional monster hunting agency, to make it easy to get PCs into the game.

It was designed at a time when everyone snorted Apocalypse World, got high as gently caress, and made games that aped its mechanics and prose style in ways that made no sense for what they were trying to do with it, and by those standards it's pretty good.

homullus posted:

Yeah, people have cooled on DW and its pointless D&Disms over time, especially since we have stuff like Fellowship now.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
High fantasy Game of Thrones PbtA would be a delight, though. You're all Lords of Waterdeep. Some of you are badass fighters who go on dungeon missions, some of you are just a beholder hiding below ground who never goes anywhere.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CitizenKeen posted:

High fantasy Game of Thrones PbtA would be a delight, though. You're all Lords of Waterdeep. Some of you are badass fighters who go on dungeon missions, some of you are just a beholder hiding below ground who never goes anywhere.

A game based around political machinations, back staving and the like would be good. Sheets are based on your holding or position so there's be ones like "Heir Apparent," "Merchant Prince," "Foreign Emissary," "Leader of the Faithful, " or "Military Commander"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gatekeeping is when people who should have access are being discouraged or prevented from joining in. Nazis should not have access to TG, so it's not "gatekeeping" in the intended sense of that word if we make nazis uncomfortable in our space.

We want D&D players to feel comfortable in our space, so it's "gatekeeping" if we needlessly make them uncomfortable. No, it's not as vital a consideration as ensuring we're not "gatekeeping" against people of color or women; but I feel it's still a valid concern, whatever word you want to use for it.

As I said before, we need to be able to criticize games like D&D. So by default merely saying negative things about the game has to be allowed. I'm asking everyone to participate in ensuring that we can simultaneously critique important popular games like D&D in an honest way, and also ensure that D&D players are not so put off by constant negativity that they can't comfortably participate in TG talk here. I believe that middle ground exists and I believe almost everyone here is already basically operating in that place, but we can be more conscious and aware of what we're trying to do here and intentionally moderate our talk to help keep it there.

Arivia posted:

I let the gatekeeping thing go because Leperflesh asked us to. Y’all should do the same.

Thanks. I'd like this post to be the final word on the subject. I don't think further semantic arguments about the term "gatekeeping" is valuable here.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think a large part of what makes TG work without draconian and weirdly eggheaded moderation is that most of us have a sense of humour and modesty about the stuff we like. For example, people in the WoD thread are well aware of all the dumb stuff White Wolf did and put in their books over the years, and anyone defending WoD: Gypsies or Neo-Nazi Sample PCs in Vampire supplements is gonna get run out, quickly. By the same token, people aren't "calling out" each other with inflammatory screeds because there's no need for that.

Setting cultural and political issues aside, we can also have e.g. a thread where people talk about their love for Palladium games, even though the company and its founder have a pretty bad reputation and anyone sincerely arguing for the Megaversal system is going to get laughed at.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Xelkelvos posted:

A game based around political machinations, back staving and the like would be good. Sheets are based on your holding or position so there's be ones like "Heir Apparent," "Merchant Prince," "Foreign Emissary," "Leader of the Faithful, " or "Military Commander"

If you want everybody to be a faction and a person, there are the fantasy adaptations of Legacy: Life Among the Ruins like Shattered City and Free From the Yoke.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CitizenKeen posted:

If you want everybody to be a faction and a person, there are the fantasy adaptations of Legacy: Life Among the Ruins like Shattered City and Free From the Yoke.

The latter one seems about where I was thinking at a glance

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Free From The Yoke is extremely good.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

That is almost exactly this:

Glazius posted:

Is The Sword, The Crown, and The Unspeakable Power "in the vein of Dungeon World"? It's a fantasy setting, but it's not trying at all to be a dungeon crawler, it's about the power machinations of a whole-rear end society.

You’re playing the protagonists of a fantasy power struggle, and there are factions which put demands on you. It’s fairly PvP-oriented. Worldbuilding is collaborative. If you want to also play the factions, Legacy is a better bet.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I saw hundreds of posts here and thought "wow, was there really that much to say about Jonathan Tweet?" and then I just read it all and saw that there was a really interesting discussion, and also this:

Gort posted:

Strike has a "cool the first time" rule...

Countblanc posted:

...in addition to its normal CR system and monster creation rules, there's a subtype of monsters called "Unfair Monsters" ...

hyphz posted:

In Strike! there's an incremental level of battle victory...

D'awww, thanks everyone! Considering one of my biggest motivations for making Strike! was showing up that bastard Mike Mearls, it warms my heart every time someone shits on 5e using mechanics I wrote. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Xelkelvos posted:

Isn't this essentially Court of Blades?