Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/tolariancollege/status/1557942182157230080?s=21&t=nVwvTur5exoQOKoKESLIyA

…uh so basically Jimmy is whispering in his ear the whole time. He essentially won the money as soon as the contest winner was announced because this whole thing seems insanely staged.

Yes it was very staged. I believe the pick itself was random, but from there it was clear the dude was getting the $100K no matter what. They also each had to play custom-built decks for the event. All of this only makes sense if you think of it as a promotional event. They’re not going to NOT give this guy the prize money, and he had practically no idea how to play, so of course there’s going to be a “coach” there who basically plays for him. Even if he’d been a Magic vet, they weren’t going to allow someone to bring their own deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'd like to bring my own deck just to see how it compares

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Heath posted:

I'd like to bring my own deck just to see how it compares

I mean yeah. I’d love to just play Post Malone or some other Magic celeb in a casual setting where we can just slam various decks into each other and see how they fare. That would be fun. But not the point of this event, clearly.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Would have just made more sense to make it that he just won the 100k as part of the prize of being able to play with Post rather than staging it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That sucks, I really demand authenticity in my contests

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Framboise posted:

Would have just made more sense to make it that he just won the 100k as part of the prize of being able to play with Post rather than staging it.

I think that may run afoul of how they set up the contest since winning wouldn't be a result of "skill" but luck. I only took a brief look at the rules because as a drat dirty Canadian I couldn't win but I remember a thing that NY residents also weren't eligible because of NY lottery laws.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

MasterBuilder posted:

I think that may run afoul of how they set up the contest since winning wouldn't be a result of "skill" but luck. I only took a brief look at the rules because as a drat dirty Canadian I couldn't win but I remember a thing that NY residents also weren't eligible because of NY lottery laws.

The entire app is basically a gambling site. I mean, in theory it’s a live auction site, but if you go into any Magic stream there it’s all paying for entries into luck wheels and random box pulls and bingo games etc all to win like a Gaea’s Cradle (with $6 entries and multiple layers of luck required to get there). It’s honestly a bit bizarre, but if you’re a MTG pack-ripper with spare money I guess you don’t mind gambling your cash away for 1/1000 odds to get a Power Nine card.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I did enter at least three times for that complete Fetchlands set, the deck, and the complete Dual Lands (revised) set. That's the only thing that kept me watching. At least those were free and only cost me time that I can never get back.

https://twitter.com/TolarianCollege/status/1557999438299246593?cxt=HHwWgsCtgYGPkJ8rAAAA

"I told you, we're playing no bans Commander!"

Jiro fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 12, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TotalHell posted:

I mean yeah. I’d love to just play Post Malone or some other Magic celeb in a casual setting where we can just slam various decks into each other and see how they fare. That would be fun. But not the point of this event, clearly.

A friend of mine played with Joe Manganiello a couple of months back. Another friend of his knows Joe's manager or something. There might have been another degree of separation in there even.

That's basically what they did, but as you can imagine Joe's decks are pretty drat strong.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

A friend of mine played with Joe Manganiello a couple of months back. Another friend of his knows Joe's manager or something. There might have been another degree of separation in there even.

That's basically what they did, but as you can imagine Joe's decks are pretty drat strong.

I’m sure when you don’t have to think about money at all and can just drop stacks on getting a Cradle for every deck it can fit in, then yeah.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
gently caress Magic 30, gently caress Command Fest, gently caress the Cassius Marsh black lotus cup I would pay $250+ to be in this room, at this table, playing magic with these people

https://twitter.com/bmkibler/status/1558110829064491008?s=21&t=o-3_Y9I8CkNefjJVsX-D8Q

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Prof shaved again? Boooooo

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
It's hot as poo poo out, dawg.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
post malone is too rich to look like he smells like he most certainly does

is what i would say after he somehow timetwisters me into getting a facial tattoo, in my fantasy play scenario

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Bust Rodd posted:

gently caress Magic 30, gently caress Command Fest, gently caress the Cassius Marsh black lotus cup I would pay $250+ to be in this room, at this table, playing magic with these people

https://twitter.com/bmkibler/status/1558110829064491008?s=21&t=o-3_Y9I8CkNefjJVsX-D8Q

I’ve gotta find a way to check posty and cash off my “played with” list

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://youtu.be/xwZ3NCNsLmQ

This always happens to me when I put in a new card too. :smith: Or I just die before I even get close to getting it.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Sheldon Menery got paid to publish an article today about how he thought the power level of baldurs gate was correctly targeted for the commander environment.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Bane, Lord of Darkness is a bit janky but very fun with a bunch of clone cards.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://twitter.com/nickrhammond/status/1559234490668818432?s=20&t=AMtkcIffFub2XiNM-YHwyQ

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Oh look, more proof that EDH should never be played in a "serious tournament" setting.

That being said their conclusion/stance going forward is absolutely correct. You're gonna enter an EDH tournament where 50% of the players are planning to collude and split and there's nothing anyone can do.

LanceKing2200 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 15, 2022

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The only thing that confuses me about the write-up is the conclusion about people choosing not to play playtest cards when available. There's only a couple reasons to play steam vents over volcanic island and I don't know that any of those reasons see play in EDH. Am I missing something? I suspect those players decided to stick with their own cards so they didn't have to deal with getting the proxies and all that, but maybe is so smooth that I'm off track. I will also confess that mana crypt is too rich for my blood and it saw play in 68 of the decks so maybe this tourney group isn't dollar restricted, but I would never be able to play at those tables.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

What sort of bums me out is the chart for the breakdown of what commanders were used, it's all the same pretty much. Like since WOTC knows they won't ever make broken poo poo like that ever again, the commander meta is going to stay pretty stagnant and the only thing that will really change is one or two cards in the 99 possibly.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Jiro posted:

What sort of bums me out is the chart for the breakdown of what commanders were used, it's all the same pretty much. Like since WOTC knows they won't ever make broken poo poo like that ever again, the commander meta is going to stay pretty stagnant and the only thing that will really change is one or two cards in the 99 possibly.

The cedh meta changes dramatically in nearly every set, this is massively overplaying how strong some things are.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah Tymna hasn’t had more than one top 4 finish at like the last 5 major events, she was a much better meta call for this event because everyone was talking about playing slow Stax strats or jamming Najeela, both archetypes that Tymna decks are favored against.

The playtest card thing makes sense to me. After going through my “proxy everything” phase a few years ago I came around on it and realized the same stuff, you really don’t need Tabernacle, ABUR duals, or Timetwister to compete at the highest level tables.

I love the idea of Joe King getting chewed out by ornery Canadian grinders over the ID, but drawing your way out of a kingmade game is certainly a weird and unique idea… I wonder why that never occurred to us on our goon cEDH discord, lord knows we’ve been stuck between a rock and a hard place before.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Ultra Pro is selling those acrylic deck boxes in a variety of colors again for $5 a piece:

https://ultrapro.com/collections/gaming-accessories-deck-boxes-pro-100/products/eclipse-2-piece-100-deck-box

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Those deck boxes are great, I still have and use 3 of them I bought at a physical WoTC store like 20 years ago.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Purple obviously sold out immediately.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a goon Commander discord? And if so can I have an invite? I Spelltabled for the first time last week so I'm still feeling the itch to play more online :getin:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We pretty much only play cEDH and haven’t actually gotten a pod together since the spring, but if you want in just PM me, we post and critique and brew all the time and you can usually find a few folks to play with :unsmith:

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer

Silhouette posted:

Those deck boxes are great, I still have and use 3 of them I bought at a physical WoTC store like 20 years ago.

This gave me an immediate flashback to the Springfield Mall circa 2000. Glad the WoTC store opened since Another Universe closed and I can’t buy packs there any more. I always loved the life sized Predator they had out front though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can still find a life sized predator at just about any LGS these days.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wanna try making a Rebbec deck, purely cause I think she's neat in The Thran novel.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wanna try making a Rebbec deck, purely cause I think she's neat in The Thran novel.

I'd like to do a janky Glacian and Rebbec deck. My group is getting into Pauper Commander so I might try that

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Wow awful this is not the thread I wanted to reply to.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Kurieg posted:

My favorite part about ME2 is when they bend over backwards to explain away all the Cerberus plots you defeat in 1 and 2 as cells that went rogue that the illusive man had no control over longe that's supposed to make you feel better about working for him. Like "oh good he's not evil just hideously incompetent with enough funding and power for that to be indistinguishable from willful evil."

This is why I broke down my Illusive Man deck

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I was replying to the ME thread and the app decided it was better served to go here apparently.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Heath posted:

I'd like to do a janky Glacian and Rebbec deck. My group is getting into Pauper Commander so I might try that

I got Glacian too, but I'm thinking maybe Armix looking at other cards with Partner. Go for an Artifact Creaturr aggro deck.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Kurieg posted:

I was replying to the ME thread and the app decided it was better served to go here apparently.

He was always the ultimate Capitalist and racist ,other than Ashley, always a shame that I wanted a complex dialogue fight at the end of ME3 to just have the Illusive Man eat a bullet like you could do with Saren if your Paragon or Renegade stats were high enough to berate him to do it.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Jiro posted:

He was always the ultimate Capitalist and racist ,other than Ashley, always a shame that I wanted a complex dialogue fight at the end of ME3 to just have the Illusive Man eat a bullet like you could do with Saren if your Paragon or Renegade stats were high enough to berate him to do it.

I would love an ME Secret Lair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Jiro posted:

You can talk him into eating his gun in ME3. You have to have exhausted the left side tree in every single previous conversation with him, otherwise it's not possible and he shoots Anderson instead.