Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Just started watching Voyage of the Rock Aliens. How can a movie this embarrassing also be so rad and hilarious?

I think I'm kind of loving it?

e: loving lol, Obviously and Comically Insane People just walking out of a gun store with a shopping cart full of weapons is sadly still relevant 30 years later. Yeah, this movie's great.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't think I'll be watching Video Violence 2 again, what a great premise ruined by being lovely and boring.

lol it’s dogshit yeah

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Just started watching Voyage of the Rock Aliens. How can a movie this embarrassing also be so rad and hilarious?

I think I'm kind of loving it?

e: loving lol, Obviously and Comically Insane People just walking out of a gun store with a shopping cart full of weapons is sadly still relevant 30 years later. Yeah, this movie's great.

Yes!! You should also see Hard Rock Zombies if you haven’t yet, it also rocks rear end.

TC2000 is so loving stupid I love it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Watching Expect No Mercy right now. My roommate and I have determined that Billy Blanks is the opposite of The Rock.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Charisma is his dump stat

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Boywhiz88 posted:

Literally what happened w Tears of the Sun, except backwards. I think it was supposed to be Die Hard 4

This was a very confusing post until I realized I was thinking of Empire of the Sun

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Anyone know if this John Carpenter 4K set uses the same transfers as the Shout Factory releases?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

morestuff posted:

Anyone know if this John Carpenter 4K set uses the same transfers as the Shout Factory releases?

I believe yes, it’s all the same sourcing but don’t quote me!

Lots of horror announcements on Dawn of the Discs’ Twitter.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

It is not. These are StudioCanal's transfers and are barebones releases. It's from 2020 or 2019.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Severin announced its October releases

My Grandpa is a Vampire
Tales to Keep You Awake, the complete 1966-68 Spanish horror anthology show by Narciso Ibanez Serrador (Who Can Kill a Child?)
The Plague Zombie trilogy
Dracula vs Frankenstein
The Changeling 4K

Considering Tales to Keep You Awake and maybe Changeling, but I'm waiting until after tomorrow to decide because tomorrow's Criterion's November announcements

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Tales To Keep You Awake Seems like something I’d love, and you can’t go wrong with The Changeling - good announcements! I thought I heard that they were doing a Franco UHD as well, whatever that is I’ll have to grab it for sure

Edit: imagine if the UHD was A Virgin Among the Living Dead?? Could be cool

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 15, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Tales To Keep You Awake sounds cool as hell. I'll have to wait on the changeling 4k, I can't imagine it'll be too much of an upgrade over the bluray.

Hoping for more Jess Francos. Really dug the 4k they put out recently

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

It is not. These are StudioCanal's transfers and are barebones releases. It's from 2020 or 2019.

There’s a diff between the two transfers? I thought based on the timing, these were all the same 4K transfers.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

There’s a diff between the two transfers? I thought based on the timing, these were all the same 4K transfers.

I looked again and you're correct, it's the same 4k restorations as StudioCanal, but there are new Dolby Atmos tracks and a new restored stereo tracks on each of them, plus the supplements, like commentaries and BTS features and interviews.

So if you just want the movies and not the supplements or the upgrades to the sound, they are visually the same.

My mistake. For some reason I thought Shout got new 4k transfers instead of using the StudioCanal ones.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
No worries. And yeah, the Shout Factory releases look terrific but in most cases I'll take the value of a box set like that

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I wish Dawn of the Dead 2004 would get a 4K release. It's weird to me that it hasn't been done already, but I guess the license costs a zillion dollars. The regular Blu-Ray looks nice but it would be amazing in 4K

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yeah that Shout disc looks great already and is overstuffed with extras. There’d have to be some sort of Zach Snyder cut included with a 4K disc to get my interest again…

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I only own the Universal release, though I've been thinking about getting the Shout disc as I've heard it's significantly better in many ways

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I spent too much money on movies, whoops

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

4K The Limey

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/limey-includes-digital-copy-steelbook-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-ray-2022/6517072.p?skuId=6517072

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/CultEpics/status/1559570463180722177?s=20&t=AmuFi77xX9JEja9gYktCXg

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Complete Dragonball Super steelbook set

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

That's sick. I still prefer just one of those Twin Peaks Complete Series sets instead, but that's a nice looking one.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

VS Summer Sale Info

quote:

Our first annual VS SummerFest Sale is only a few days away, starting this Friday (the 19th) at 12:01 AM EST and running through 11:59 PM EST on Sunday (the 21st)!

Throughout the sale, nearly 200 VS and Peekarama releases will be marked down to 50% off SRP! The films selected represent a sampling of titles for which the film elements (ranging from camera negatives to only known prints) are vaulted in our archives. As many of you know, VS was founded not just to release genre films, but to find and preserve their original film materials, with an emphasis on saving the types of works most often endangered. This mission is still the driving force behind VS, and our efforts to protect cinema history is stronger than ever, with newly recovered materials arriving at our archives each month to be preserved.

In addition, at the opening of the sale, we’ll be unveiling our next duo of Peekarama releases, one a UHD upgrading of a classic double feature from one of the genre’s most celebrated directors and starring one of his favorite leading ladies, and the other the world Blu-ray debut of a star-studded classic from an equal parts legendary and notorious hardcore auteur. Plus, two of our favorite Peekarama releases will be receiving newly designed Catalog Slipcovers!

We’ve also prepared one of our best and most entertaining VSA's to date; a southern-shot 80s actioner that’s non-stop fun from start to end and is making its world Blu-ray debut!

Also, several of the incredible artists with whom we work with have created new posters, shirt designs, and more, including an original take on the artwork for a VS classic dating back to our earliest days of DVD.

As will all of our sales, the "Add to my existing sale order" FREE shipping option will be enabled. Also, if you have already placed a pre-order this month, you can use this free shipping option to combine any additional sale orders with your existing pre-order. And for our Subscribers, you already know what to do!

guess i better squirrel away some money for this.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1559525625001656320?s=20&t=nVacvNX3MXeCiAwZVI4JlQ

Really stinks when they make a nice Steelbook but you own the UHD already and never watched the UHD (or the movie lol)

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I was never an ET kid. that movie just frustrated me every time I watched it (my siblings liked it a lot more and i am the oldest so i got out voted a lot).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've seen ET exactly once in my life: in theaters in 2002, the 20th anniversary walkie talkie cut lol

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

dorium posted:

I was never an ET kid.
E.T. is a gross little turd monster and I never liked him. :colbert:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rageaholic posted:

I've seen ET exactly once in my life: in theaters in 2002, the 20th anniversary walkie talkie cut lol

I have a fond memory of going to that with a coworker, one of which hasn't seen it yet

mem
Sep 1, 2005
E.T. came out around the time I turned 5, and I still eat Reese's Pieces. Haven't seen the movie since 1982 though.

When does Mac and Me get a 4k?

mem fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 16, 2022

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I saw ET in the theaters as a kid, but I don't remember a thing about it and it wasn't a favorite of mine or anything. I was a Ghostbusters Kid.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
By the way ET has been on UHD for a few years already, that's just a new anniversary steelbook.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

mem posted:

E.T. came out around the time I turned 5, and I still eat Reese's Pieces. Haven't seen the movie since 1982 though.

When does Mac and Me get a 4k?

That would require an intro from Paul Rudd and Conan O'brien

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dorium posted:

VS Summer Sale Info

guess i better squirrel away some money for this.

How do we know which titles will be on sale? Is there a "this is being archived" tag?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

bowmore posted:

How do we know which titles will be on sale? Is there a "this is being archived" tag?

I think it's a surprise like most of their sales

I'd say "all" but some are specific, like the month of June was every partner label, and last week was the Utopia partner label's releases only

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
The rumour (apparently from a good source) is that the VSA is gonna be this: https://boxd.it/31iq which I’ve never seen.

Edit: took out some stuff that was already posted itt

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 17, 2022

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chris James 2 posted:

I think it's a surprise like most of their sales

I'd say "all" but some are specific, like the month of June was every partner label, and last week was the Utopia partner label's releases only
Oh ok fair enough, thanks for the reply

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

PinkoBastard posted:

The rumour (apparently from a good source) is that the VSA is gonna be this: https://boxd.it/31iq which I’ve never seen.

Edit: took out some stuff that was already posted itt

Never seen nor ever heard of it. Looks crazy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

By the way ET has been on UHD for a few years already, that's just a new anniversary steelbook.

And it has better art.

That steelbook is ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Gripweed posted:

Complete Dragonball Super steelbook set

Oh man it's too bad the rest of DB/DBZ is impossible to get a decent release of (unless you speak Spanish).