Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tesseraction posted:

FWIW they patched the game so you could stealth the boss fights.

Before they patched it, the game had a readily accessible bug where if you saved, ran a hacking game, completed it, got XP then if you reloaded and redid the mini game you got the XP from your previous save and this save.
And it could keep stacking.

So basically you could use this bug to easily mass up enough XP to become a Hack Master and a fight machine.

It was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The fight machine and the hack master in every 80s movie:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

Before they patched it, the game had a readily accessible bug where if you saved, ran a hacking game, completed it, got XP then if you reloaded and redid the mini game you got the XP from your previous save and this save.
And it could keep stacking.

So basically you could use this bug to easily mass up enough XP to become a Hack Master and a fight machine.

It was great.

Tempted to replay it now with a mod or something to give me max augs from the get-go.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The Question IRL posted:

Okay that article is dumb, because all the ideas about brain enhancing technology is pure science fiction. (You might as well have an article called "Can we reduce the number of Bin Men we need to employ by exposing a bunch to Gamma Radiation?")

But let's suppose it is correct that we will have brain boosting chips. And let's say they actually work and make you better at being a lawyer*.
They talk about companies will put pressure** on lawyers to get Cyberd up so they can have individual super lawyers instead of teams of them to work on cases.
Ignoring the fact that the kind of person who volunteers for something like this is likely to be a sort of sociopath who might have the wrong viewpoint on the case. At least having teams of lawyers allows for debate and for other people to point out blindspots.

*= Big loving if there. Yes retention of knowledge and being able to research and cross reference stuff is a huge part of the job. So is figuring out if a situation applies to the task at hand, balancing the cost versus the likely outcome and the reality of how a judge could rule. You know, stuff a computer can't do.

** = Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a great game. The main plot was about Futurists who wanted no regulation augmentation to build a utopia. Versus an Illuminati who wanted full control of people and augmented humans were too dangerous.
But a subplot I loved was how Augmentation just created this race to the bottom where companies demanded everyone become augmented to increase productivity, and if you couldn't get the procedure done, you became unemployable. As well as the people who couldn't afford it going to dangerous black market augmented operations.
It really had a lot to say about many capitalist issues with society. But that got overlooked by people who were all "I want a game about how science solves all my human problems."
And people who complained that they put points into Stealth Hackers and then couldn't do the Boss Fights.

It was a bit scatterbrained in how it was simultaneously trying to push "augmentations are seperating the rich and poor into castes" and "augmentations are becoming effectively compulsory whether your want them or not" and "people who get augmentations are being discriminated against and looked down on as freaks" and "augmentations need highly addictive suppressant drugs that destroy your life", like it took every cyberpunk dystopia and tried to do them all at the same time even if they were mutually exclusive (which is on brand for Deus Ex, I guess).

But despite that it seemed to have a coherent political point to make, and I found it kind of strange that the end of the game presented the three possible end states as relatively equal choices, because even if what the villain did was utterly morally reprehensible, the very fact he could do it made his point basically irrefutable and when the game asks you to pick between him, the libertarian techbro and the shadowy secret world government I couldn't slam the "side with the villain" hard enough at the end.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You could work all four into a coherent Marxist class analysis. Lumpen don't (or won't) even get on the augmentation ladder and eat poo poo as a result, proletarians are forced to get productivity augmentations to remain competitive but need suppressant drugs that destroy their life to manage them, bourgeoisie get commodity augmentations, aristocracy and petit-bourg discriminate against augmented people as freaks while still using them for work.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

On the plus side it's probably a net good that Elon Musk is the guy pushing chips in brains because only his ultra-stans will be stupid enough to volunteer to get accidentally labotamised in service of sticking a a glorified RFID chip to their cerebellum.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

On the plus side it's probably a net good that Elon Musk is the guy pushing chips in brains because only his ultra-stans will be stupid enough to volunteer to get accidentally labotamised in service of sticking a a glorified RFID chip to their cerebellum.

If a Muskfucker gets lobotomised, how will we know the difference?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

They'll get smarter.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Reveilled posted:

It was a bit scatterbrained in how it was simultaneously trying to push "augmentations are seperating the rich and poor into castes" and "augmentations are becoming effectively compulsory whether your want them or not" and "people who get augmentations are being discriminated against and looked down on as freaks" and "augmentations need highly addictive suppressant drugs that destroy your life", like it took every cyberpunk dystopia and tried to do them all at the same time even if they were mutually exclusive (which is on brand for Deus Ex, I guess).

But despite that it seemed to have a coherent political point to make, and I found it kind of strange that the end of the game presented the three possible end states as relatively equal choices, because even if what the villain did was utterly morally reprehensible, the very fact he could do it made his point basically irrefutable and when the game asks you to pick between him, the libertarian techbro and the shadowy secret world government I couldn't slam the "side with the villain" hard enough at the end.

Ah someone seemed to have not gotten the fourth ending ("blow the main lab up and led Cybergod sort it out.")
It ended up being the canonical ending too, I think.

Like the Deus Ex games had a lot going for it, but they had their wonky parts too. The endings all dissolving into "here is some stock footage while the main character narrates something in lieu of a conclusion to the narrative. Like Metal Gear Solid, but not as good."

It's a shame that Mankind Divided got dicked around so much that they split the game into two, and never got a sequel. Because gameplay wise it was better than Human Revolution.
It also had a truly "interesting" design decision where the player is presented with a big choice near the end that branches the story into two similar but different paths. (In one path you investigate a cyber cult that built a series of remote bombs.
In the other you break into a bank to seek a cure for a gene weapon.)
I did the cult path and only learned years later that a huge plot point is only resolved by doing the bank path.

(Spoilers for a PS4 era game.)

Took me years to discover that the reason you have all these super augments that your old boss never remebered building and why your character has amnesia is because you died at the end of the first game and are a clone of Adam Jenkins created by the Illuminati.

Tesseraction posted:

Tempted to replay it now with a mod or something to give me max augs from the get-go.

Do it. I find I don't have the time to play games and when I do, I only have a short amount of time. So I'm not interested in patiently "earning" upgrades or materials for making stuff. I just want to switch on the cheat modes, give myself everything and experience the story as a god.
Challenges? Life is challenging enough as is, no need to introduce artificial difficulty while you are at it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

Play it with clear engine, like God intended

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Reveilled posted:

The correct option is to head down the side passage and drown everyone, yourself included. gently caress the techbros, gently caress the shadowy secret world government, gently caress yourself, just bail and let everyone else sort it out.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If you want to spend three and half hours remembering the Deus Ex remake with Hbomberguy, here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgJazjz9ZsA

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I worry he might have flown too close to the sun by making that. Like Icarus, from the Greek myths.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Play it with clear engine, like God intended

With what now? Vanilla as in?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

With what now? Vanilla as in?

Stupid phone. Cheat Engine is what I meant to say.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I did 2 and 1/2 runs of revolutions.

The first one was a stealth hacker, pacifist run that ended when I got to that one boss.

So I restarted and did a new run where I killed all the things, full murderhawk monster.

The last run was back to stealth hacker, pacifist run APART from the boss fights where I took the explosive vest aug to deal with them in two rounds of animation.

gently caress those boss fights. It was also interesting just how much quicker it was just to kill everything maybe there is a message there or something.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
which one of you started the fire in london bridge station

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The boss fights were poo poo because they outsourced them to another game dev :lol:

There was one in a room full of statues that looked pretty cool, but the gameplay was running around in circles unloading the magnum into their skull.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Having just watched Ghost In The Shell: SAC_2045 on Netflix, where pretty much everybody has chips in their head and as a result get hit with visual spam ads, are constantly suffering hacking attempts, get unwittingly used as distributed processors to deliver lethal attacks on others and are eventually taken over and put into an ambiguously explained real-world Matrix delusion by AIs and overclocked 'posthumans'... yeah, screw that. Christ, literally within the last hour my wife's laptop, despite running Windows Defender, a VPN and antivirus software, got hit by some weird thing that made what she described as QR codes appear on screen before forcing a reboot. Imagine that happening to your actual brain.

That said, the background premise that "an American AI went beyond its intended task and caused the entire global financial system to implode so that a sandwich now costs $1500 and everybody is broke except for the ultra-rich who live in secure compounds guarded by mercenaries" felt disturbingly on-point for now. Shame that aspect mostly got brushed aside once the action returned to Japan.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
$180/yr heated brain subscription.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Reveilled posted:

None of that stuff is actually mutually exclusive, 'augmentations are compulsary to function in the neoliberal capitalist future but also come with drawbacks that only the super-wealthy can afford to mitigate' is entirely consistent, although it is messy set of ideas to try to get across in the form of a series of unrelated side quests.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

The only bad part of DXHR was I committed to the 100% ghosty run and lost the achievement somewhere (I think two berks at a security desk) but it doesn't let you know

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

sinky posted:

The boss fights were poo poo because they outsourced them to another game dev :lol:

There was one in a room full of statues that looked pretty cool, but the gameplay was running around in circles unloading the magnum into their skull.

What I loved about that fight is there was a secret method to that fight, but it was so discrere that most people missed it.*

Basically the room was full of glass walls that the boss would use to put cover between you and him before hoping over and decking you.

If however you brought the giant laser gun with you, that could shoot through the glass and murder the boss, while he couldn't attack you through the plate glass walls.

It is the same for the final boss who was behind a indestructible barrier that you had to spend ages hacking to disable it....or if you brought the Laser Rifle you could cook her inside her barrier.

* = There was also a glitch where you could use a stealth takedown on the boss if you did it as he was climbing over the walls. Which was hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elVCxc0hwBs

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I know things are poo poo for individuals with the energy price rises, but I'm really struggling to see how businesses, public services, community organisations and cultural venues are going to survive this without major government intervention too. Even for places that charge for whatever their service is, it's not like the public are going to be able to afford massively higher prices what with their own outgoings having to be cut to afford their home energy bills.

https://twitter.com/1goodtern/status/1559519407742885890?s=20&t=8wp8MWlTVPw0ApgTmuYtFw

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/aug/17/the-lowry-salford-faces-tripled-electricity-bill

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I know things are poo poo for individuals with the energy price rises, but I'm really struggling to see how businesses, public services, community organisations and cultural venues are going to survive this without major government intervention too. Even for places that charge for whatever their service is, it's not like the public are going to be able to afford massively higher prices what with their own outgoings having to be cut to afford their home energy bills.

https://twitter.com/1goodtern/status/1559519407742885890?s=20&t=8wp8MWlTVPw0ApgTmuYtFw

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/aug/17/the-lowry-salford-faces-tripled-electricity-bill

Some of the replies to this tweet are absolutely unhinged. There's no reaching these people.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

The Question IRL posted:

(You might as well have an article called "Can we reduce the number of Bin Men we need to employ by exposing a bunch to Gamma Radiation?")

Boris Johnson reelection pledge spotted

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It does seem bizarre that no-one seems to be lifting a finger while we barrel towards actual, literal, everything-folding-at-once apocalypse

Like, it's not even going to be drawn out, like recessions or covid or climate change, where they can kinda sorta ignore it until it's too bad to ignore anymore

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Alchenar posted:

None of that stuff is actually mutually exclusive, 'augmentations are compulsary to function in the neoliberal capitalist future but also come with drawbacks that only the super-wealthy can afford to mitigate' is entirely consistent, although it is messy set of ideas to try to get across in the form of a series of unrelated side quests.

The problem with it in Human Revolution, though, was that it wasn't a drawback that only the super-wealthy could afford to mitigate, in fact the game seemed kind of confused about who could afford to mitigate it. The drawback was your body rejecting your augmentations, something that would be fatal in many cases. A lot of people on the poorer end of the spectrum seemed to have augmentations and access to the drug necessary to keep them, meanwhile the drug was stated to be so expensive that even the wealthy had trouble affording it, with rich folk being made homeless due to their inability to pay for the drug.

Now of course, the fact that poor people use it doesn't mean it needs to be cheap, it just needs to be paid for by someone else, for example, someone who has augs being effectively enserfed into their job because they need the drug their employer gives them to live is standard cyberpunk dystopia poo poo, but it then raises the question, why are the rich unable to afford the drug, then? Are we in a situation where these corporate health plans that pay for the worker drones to get augmentations refuse to pay for the same drug for their executives and senior managers? That would seem weird, especially if you're trying to build on the notion that the augs are creating a clear caste system between the rich and the poor--it works if the distinction is "the poors are drug addicted half-robots and the rich are pure humans", but I don't think it makes much sense if the distinction is "the poors are getting augs that make them better at drudgery, the rich are getting augs that make them both physically and mentally superior". In the latter society, you'd expect the system to be set up to reinforce and support the wealthy, not make them paradoxically the most at risk of death by withdrawal.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Marmaduke! posted:

Boris Johnson reelection pledge spotted

In 2023: Boris Johnson pledged to open the Green Door into the Below Place* as a way of improving the UK's labour shortage. People wonder "what Google results is he hiding by doing this."

This is your answer.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/15/eu-dismay-boris-johnson-compares-himself-to-hulk

*= If you want to know what this means, just read Al Ewing's Immortal Hulk.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

In 2023: Boris Johnson pledged to open the Green Door into the Below Place
He already indecently exposed himself at work.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Reveilled posted:

(Deus Ex talk)

So from memory, the extent and level of the augs effected how much of the anti rejection stuff you needed.

If you just got a robot arm for lifting boxes in your future Amazon warehouse job, not getting your nectar might really hurt. But maybe you could cost by until payday when you can afford your next hit.

Where as the super rich were getting brain augments, cyber eyeballs, Charisma enhancing packages. Basically they need a poo poo down of cyber heroin daily to avoid going into rejection.
But it has been a while since I played this. And I might be confusing stuff in the fiction with my own personal head-cannon.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

my own personal head-cannon.
Does that need a lot of anti-rejection drugs?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Barry Foster posted:

It does seem bizarre that no-one seems to be lifting a finger while we barrel towards actual, literal, everything-folding-at-once apocalypse

Like, it's not even going to be drawn out, like recessions or covid or climate change, where they can kinda sorta ignore it until it's too bad to ignore anymore

No one in charge has ever fixed or had to implement anything to make a society function. They believe that things will just carry on roughly as normal (as they know it) indefinitely regardless of how much they pare away, and lack the knowhow to put it all back together when things are falling apart. They can always move into the private sector when things get scary anyway, innit.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

sassassin posted:

No one in charge has ever fixed or had to implement anything to make a society function. They believe that things will just carry on roughly as normal (as they know it) indefinitely regardless of how much they pare away, and lack the knowhow to put it all back together when things are falling apart. They can always move into the private sector when things get scary anyway, innit.

well they're gonna have to do the latter abroad the way things are going lol

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Look I was born in this house. Have lived in this house all my life. It has never in my memory collapsed. So there is no need to worry about my sensible living space efficiency project. ~ swings sledge-hammer at load bearing wall ~

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Guavanaut posted:

Does that need a lot of anti-rejection drugs?

Just avoid Lemon-Lime.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sassassin posted:

Except there won't be a private sector.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Barry Foster posted:

well they're gonna have to do the latter abroad the way things are going lol

Conveniently, everything in the UK will have been sold to foreign investors.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I am reminded of this old lovely movie called america 3000, it's stuck in my mind the scene where the future people chanted "red cross, red cross, red cross" when trying to heal someone with a thousand year old first aid kit.

Except this time it's english people chanting in their burnt out villages "Free market, free market, free market!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Speaking of global foreign money something

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/aug/16/ofwat-chief-defends-water-companies-over-lack-of-new-reservoirs

quote:

He also defended the large pay water company bosses and shareholders have been given, saying it made them more competitive in the global market.

What does this mean?? It's just like a magic incantation in defense of high pay that this point.