Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i say swears online posted:

hulks are nongendered, they should have just cast a petite woman and then re-used the cgi from the ang lee movie

that doesn't sound very Unabashed or Contemporarily Female to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Tankbuster posted:

What did they do to the nice Sindhi lad?

I vaguely recall hearing that Kumail was told his introduction scene for his character was going to be some big barn burner action fight so he went all out and turned himself into some frankenstein caveman, only to at the last minute be told they were changing the fight scene into a dance scene

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the recent Al Ewing Hulk comic, which got some critical acclaim, had plot beats about how Hulks typically don't have a different personality when doing super power poo poo. In that storyline, Bruce Banner has dissociative identity disorder separate from the Gamma radiation stuff, and different personalities come out depending on how he Hulks.

Marvel's Moon Knight character also has dissociative identity disorder.

Not a big fan of basically making that a comic book superpower.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nichael posted:

knowing that tonight is the first time ever a canadian woman will star in a marvel superhero sitcom is giving me enormous pride in this country. this is how it felt when obama was elected, or when bush united us after doing a 9/11. thank you, THEE she-hulk. thank you THEE madam vice president tatiana maslany.

more importantly I am looking forward to how the freakin CHUDS are gonna get dunked on by this show. they're gonna be so livid!!!!

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's absolutely nuts that a new game of thrones is dropping this sunday. I figure it will get at least a second season no matter what - they have too much money invested in this property to not at least try to build an audience for it. But I haven't seen a single ad for this thing anywhere! It's like they forgot they were making it!

So Wrestling company All Elite Wrestling is having a themed show today dedicated to the new GOT show.

Wrestling fans are basically nerds, they'll like our dragon show right?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

In other news, How to with John Wilson is excellent. It reminds me a lot of Joe Peras shown on Adult Swim (RIP). I've heard it described as a show for introverts who are interested in people.

Shout out to Joe for portraying just how soulless Las Vegas is out side the strip.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Forceholy posted:

In other news, How to with John Wilson is excellent. It reminds me a lot of Joe Peras shown on Adult Swim (RIP). I've heard it described as a show for introverts who are interested in people.

Shout out to Joe for portraying just how soulless Las Vegas is out side the strip.

the strip has soul?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
the new beavis & butt-head season is good

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

GIRL BRAINS posted:

I vaguely recall hearing that Kumail was told his introduction scene for his character was going to be some big barn burner action fight so he went all out and turned himself into some frankenstein caveman, only to at the last minute be told they were changing the fight scene into a dance scene

he destroyed his own balls for nothing

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

the strip has soul?

Never said it was a good soul

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

GIRL BRAINS posted:

So Kumail got mogged by RRR? It had both multiple dance scenes and action scenes and they were all better than the Eternals.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

GIRL BRAINS posted:

lol nanjiani himself talks about chloe zhao being confused and annoyed at him showing up on set jacked as gently caress for no reason, sounds like he just did it to himself

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

also lol that he claimed he got like that from moderate exercise and no steroids whatsoever

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

double negative posted:

lol nanjiani himself talks about chloe zhao being confused and annoyed at him showing up on set jacked as gently caress for no reason, sounds like he just did it to himself

so exactly the joke about Mac getting jacked

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Forceholy posted:

How To is very good. That first season finale was really sweet. Yet more proof anything Nathan Fielder is involved with is worth checking out.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

so exactly the joke about Mac getting jacked

Mac getting fat between seasons and then getting shredded between the following seasons is one of the best gags in broadcast history

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

DoombatINC posted:

Mac getting fat between seasons and then getting shredded between the following seasons is one of the best gags in broadcast history

Yeah, the commitment to what amounts as a season long background joke is amazing. I also like that Rob's initial pitch was for the whole cast to get fat, and they rejected it because no one is as insane as him.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Atrocious Joe posted:

the recent Al Ewing Hulk comic, which got some critical acclaim, had plot beats about how Hulks typically don't have a different personality when doing super power poo poo. In that storyline, Bruce Banner has dissociative identity disorder separate from the Gamma radiation stuff, and different personalities come out depending on how he Hulks.

Marvel's Moon Knight character also has dissociative identity disorder.

Not a big fan of basically making that a comic book superpower.

none of them hold a candle to Crazy Jane anyway

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Lol Kumail got overshadowed by

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I see to remember there also being some anecdote about them telling him "don't worry, we know that you're Pakistani and not Indian, we're not going to make you do a big Bollywood dance scene" and then guess what happened

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

How many proudly neuroatypical MCU characters do they have? I feel like this is a growth space.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

I see to remember there also being some anecdote about them telling him "don't worry, we know that you're Pakistani and not Indian, we're not going to make you do a big Bollywood dance scene" and then guess what happened

Everyone knows that the folks on the other side of the border don't like singing and dancing.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

this is a fictional distinction imposed by white supremacist colonialists on an oppressed population so actually Disney is doing decolonization by casting Pakistanis as Indians

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Marvel would never have the guts to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAzlWScHTc4

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

Everyone knows that the folks on the other side of the border don't like singing and dancing.

i don't know that, do you know that?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Tankbuster posted:

Lol Kumail got overshadowed by

everyone got overshadowed by ram, he shouldn't feel bad

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Marvel would never have the guts to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAzlWScHTc4

i'm glad they limited themselves to 2-3 songs in the movie because each are pretty good

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

i'm glad they limited themselves to 2-3 songs in the movie because each are pretty good

yea it woulda been really easy to lean into the 'people expect Indian movies means lots of musical numbers' thing but they went for a real quality over quantity approach and it shows.

Like, it's genuinely great how RRR is both a meme movie and an actually skillfully made and performed movie. I hope the talk about it getting oscar nominations is genuine.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Indian movies don't remotely have as many songs as western musicals.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tankbuster posted:

they don't but people outside of India assume they do because people think bollywood is the only Indian movie style and the memes are real

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Does every single children's movie still end in a superfluous dance scene these days?

I remember back in the early-mid '10s it was like, inescapable

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Death To Smoochy nailed it and now every movie that ends in a big song and dance pales in comparison

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
His feet are light and nimble. He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and in shadow and he is a great favorite. He never sleeps, the Smoochy. He is dancing, dancing. He says that he will never die.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

drat horror queefs posted:

Does every single children's movie still end in a superfluous dance scene these days?

I remember back in the early-mid '10s it was like, inescapable

I think most of them are still musicals because having good soundtrack sales is a no-brainer money move.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Death To Smoochy nailed it and now every movie that ends in a big song and dance pales in comparison

i feel like this movie is totally forgotten

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

It is 20 years old this year, and as I type this i am turning into dust

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

man we got that and zoolander within a few months of each other

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Was this movie actually bad or was it misunderstood? I remember it being enjoyable but that was 15+ years ago

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

GIRL BRAINS posted:

Was this movie actually bad or was it misunderstood? I remember it being enjoyable but that was 15+ years ago

I mean I haven't seen it in probably 10 years, but I loved it. Danny DeVito just has a really cynical sense of humor and I think that's off-putting to some people. You take that, the concept, and the fact that it's an R-rated comedy and it's not hard to see why it bombed.

Ya know what would make a really good double feature? Death to Smoochy followed by For Your Consideration. Because they're both movies that hate the entertainment industry lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

yeah but they have infinitely more songs than American non-musicals