Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Slammy posted:

So It Seems September 15, 1952

An artist decades ahead of his time.
What is the joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Bernice doesn't want to listen to the dumb tape and also doesn't talk like a normal person.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Bernice remembers how cringe 13 year old Luann was.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (June 13-19, 1983)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

ACAB

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Slammy posted:

So It Seems September 15, 1952

Oh god, no.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Samovar posted:

Oh god, no.

I regret to inform you that grandpa was/is just as horny and hosed up as you.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

Oh Emi! We see what you're doing.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Doomykins posted:

I noticed 1-2 of the last few weeks had detailed art in almost every panel, so it's a curious pattern. As most of my theories of Mark Trail being awful are related to inability to handle a daily deadline I do wonder what the approach is. I've heard of many comic artists who do huge batches of comics months in advance. Hell, the thread jokes about Batiuk having a 6 month pick up time of current trends.
I very nearly had a gig as a daily cartoonist for the London newspaper Metro (they commissioned me before it launched in 1999, but about a week before the first issue they changed their minds and dropped me - don't know what they went with instead as I don't live in London, so never saw the paper), and had built up 9 or 10 weeks of strips in advance.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Payndz posted:

I very nearly had a gig as a daily cartoonist for the London newspaper Metro (they commissioned me before it launched in 1999, but about a week before the first issue they changed their minds and dropped me - don't know what they went with instead as I don't live in London, so never saw the paper), and had built up 9 or 10 weeks of strips in advance.

The only comic I remember ever seeing in Metro is Nemi, so I guess maybe they decided they didn't need an in-house cartoon?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

:3:

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

:sickos:

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 19, 1952)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma
What? :confused:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hmm, I don't think Ed would be down with that name.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

No new Buni today.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/16/02

Brenda Starr 4/17/49

Smokey Stover 8/7/49

Everyday Movies 6/25/35

"See if you can save the sale. The boy wants it with a belt in the back, his father wants it double-breasted, and his mother hasn't said anything yet, but she looks like the type who does her talking when the price is mentioned."

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Basically my SOs reaction and she's asian. Much prefer sauerkraut.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

God this is stupid

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It's depressing how accurate this reads.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They have solved world hunger. Why is this magic not being distributed to famine hit areas rather than shown to a lad?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

They have solved world hunger. Why is this magic not being distributed to famine hit areas rather than shown to a lad?

As a veteran reader of Curtis, I'd say: because everything from Flyspeck Island goes comically wrong in some way.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
"But it will still take a lot of case opening to get those to everyone."

"Well, I have this other case, that generates cases that produce never-ending salad bowls."

"But you'll have to open that case a lot of times."

"And then there's this case, that generates self-opening cases, that generate cases that generate never-ending salad bowls."

"WAIT, DON'T OPEN THAT--"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Get Fuzzy is better than I remembered and I already liked it. :allears: Bucky's gasp.

Maybe this Curtis week is just a dream like the last time they pulled that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

maltesh posted:

"But it will still take a lot of case opening to get those to everyone."

"Well, I have this other case, that generates cases that produce never-ending salad bowls."

"But you'll have to open that case a lot of times."

"And then there's this case, that generates self-opening cases, that generate cases that generate never-ending salad bowls."

"WAIT, DON'T OPEN THAT--"

This is an idle game

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Which plan is stupider, Gunk’s salad bowl/case combo or deliberately pissing off Val, Aleta, Boltar, Tillicum, and the king all at the same time?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Oh man those idiots in Val about to find out.

Small loving around. Massive find out.

The only q is who is going to be the lucky one to make them. I vote Tillicum.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They have discovered infinite arbitrary matter generation as long as you describe it in terms of a salad.

A chicken salad for vegans, replacing the chicken chunks with platinum.
Coca leaves with opium poppy seeds.
Plutonium 238 on a bed of watercress.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J Mega catch-up post

just pretend I caught that floating box before I resized and uploaded

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Do A&J live in Massachusetts? I've never heard of liquor stores referred to package stores anywhere else.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

A+J live in Alabama or thereabouts, and according to Wikipedia

quote:

In Alabama, Connecticut, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Texas,liquor stores are also known as package stores

I'm also surprised they don't have any rum. Arlo strikes me as a Tiki drink kind of guy.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Endless Mike posted:

Do A&J live in Massachusetts? I've never heard of liquor stores referred to package stores anywhere else.

They're somewhere in the South; Alabama and Mississippi are both ABC states and I've occasionally heard people refer to the ABC store as a package store (I call them "Alphabet Stores.")

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They are Gulf Coast adjacent. Alabama, Mississippi, or Georgia. JJ went to Auburn.

JethroMcB posted:

They're somewhere in the South; Alabama and Mississippi are both ABC states and I've occasionally heard people refer to the ABC store as a package store (I call them "Alphabet Stores.")

My wife is from SC, where their state stores all have three big red dots on the building for some reason, so even though we don't live there calling them "red dots" stuck in our house.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

here in pa everyone i know just calls it either "the liquor store" or "the state store"

praise glorious plcb monopoly

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver: Green Door in which Glenn makes a connection!

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Hmmm… an INTP.

INTP (introverted, intuitive, thinking, perceiving) is one of the 16 personality types described by the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI).

“People who score as INTP are often described as quiet and analytical. They enjoy spending time alone, thinking about how things work, and coming up with solutions to problems. INTPs have a rich inner world and would rather focus their attention on their internal thoughts rather than the external world. They typically do not have a wide social circle, but they do tend to be close to a select group of people.”

Not sure.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

How does this bitch have friends?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

And now for the riderchop comics assortment (get well soon, riderchop!):

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 09, 2000)

Rae The Doe

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Ah, the one torment hellworld was lacking. :shrek:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Cowslips Warren posted:

Oh man those idiots in Val about to find out.

Small loving around. Massive find out.

The only q is who is going to be the lucky one to make them. I vote Tillicum.
Definitely Tillicum.

Good dog.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Potsticker posted:

It's depressing how accurate this reads.

The brand I get puts their "smoked sausage" and "polska kielbasa" right next to each other. I've done taste tests out of curiosity, definitely the same product just to different markets. Same price, at least.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

GROMF, CHELB, PCHOO, SHOOSH, PAP, SMARGE

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
I asked this a couple years ago now, but I am interested to see how things have changed:

We talk a lot about favourite comics and what we love about them, but what are people's Least Favourites? Which ones do you wish were scoured from the face of the earth?

Personally, I despise everything that has ever come out of the pen of Holbrook. Every time I read one of his insipid, stupid comics I wish the man would lose his hands in a tragic woodchipper accident. I also hate Overboard, but that's because of a violent allergy to Twee.

EDIT:

Tiggum posted:

If anyone says anything other than 9 Chickweed Lane, there's something wrong with them.

okay yeah that's true but it's not posted here any more so I had blissfully forgotten about it until you reminded me, you bastard

Hattie Masters fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 17, 2022

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

what happened to whoever was posting overboard from the beginning? I really want to see when the sickness set in

Julet Esqu posted:

How does this bitch have friends?

Does she? In high school her friends were Bernice and Gunther who were both huge losers and now gunther has a girlfriend and hangs out with tiffany

shes cursed to wander the earth with bernice as her only companion

I guess Ox too but he's nice to everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hattie Masters posted:

We talk a lot about favourite comics and what we love about them, but what are people's Least Favourites?
If anyone says anything other than 9 Chickweed Lane, there's something wrong with them.