Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was on Instagram and this beautiful creation popped up in the ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://smartstore.naver.com/minsumart/products/7050041962

Here's the actual product link for anyone interested.

These are like 20 bucks, absolutely worth it imo

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think they'll ship overseas, but I'm in Korea so I could help someone get their hands on one if they're interested as online shopping in Korea is a bigger pain than in Japan.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256803827614171.html

neither "sumo" nor "yokozuna" in the description, had to get there via reverse google image thingy.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Brut posted:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256803827614171.html

neither "sumo" nor "yokozuna" in the description, had to get there via reverse google image thingy.

Still won't ship to US :cry:

Would be a fun gift for a friend.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It looks like the seller only ships to the EU.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Holy poo poo this Magikarp: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256803827855614.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000023.9.70138c69HRF6v8&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

Edit: They are on American Amazon, but cost about $30.

Also, I'm dying at this picture.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 16, 2022

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Aliexpress ships to Australia, but that possibly only affects me.

Also, all the muscle pokemon figures I could want.

(Aliexpress seems to be the place for knock-off sumo fan shirts: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...id=JG6XXiBfQP9E)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I've just imagined a Hakuho football jersey and it should be made.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
rikishi dont play football

they play basketball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQSFR8FCyEg

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
man i miss kakuryu. he wasn't an amazing yokozuna, but he was absolutely a yokozuna. had that air about him when he fought that i've only seen from hak / teru

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Kakuryu has 6 titles, which puts him firmly in the middle of the Yokozuna pack. He had a unique, reactive style of sumo he developed through watching hours of tape while he was coming up. He's also an intellectual, a gentlemen, and he can hoop. I love Kakuryu, and I hope he sticks around the JSA for a long time.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i dunno if there's extra fees and stuff but i think whiterabbitexpress can help people buy things from japanese stores and ship them to the US then

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Kenning posted:

Kakuryu has 6 titles, which puts him firmly in the middle of the Yokozuna pack. He had a unique, reactive style of sumo he developed through watching hours of tape while he was coming up. He's also an intellectual, a gentlemen, and he can hoop. I love Kakuryu, and I hope he sticks around the JSA for a long time.

Come on, EA. One on One: Hakuho v Kakuryu when?

I saw some footage of Kakuryu delivering a speech in English somewhere, which was odd, because everyone in Japan obviously has their speech either badly subbed like Iron Chef or subtitled like Chairman Kaga on Iron Chef.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How would you make a sumo video game in terms of gameplay mechanics.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mekchu posted:

place your rikishi on the dohyo like you're moving the cue ball around for a free shot in an pool simulator. determine your commitment to the tachiai like a golf swing's power. set your tachiai strategy. quick time event occurs with the difficulty adjusted for your tachiai's effectiveness relative to your opponent and your opponent and your rikishi's competency at defending against / obtaining that stance. hammer the x button at all times for stamina. seven dice rolls happen completely outside of your control. throw your controller across the room when prompted.

there are also unique characteristics for each rikishi like with shodai your opponent is only unveiled after the tachiai begins and shodai wakes up. you can only output the required number of button mashes to keep takakeisho fighting for 1.5 seconds with human thumbs and 2.0 seconds using a pen lid like during the torture scene in metal gear solid for the psx.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Mekchu posted:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

this might be the best thing i've ever seen and would make an amazing prize for any further sumo creativity contests like shiroc held.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

radgenome posted:

A sweatful strugglings among brawn men! Thundering concussion of muscle bodies!
Fighting spirits deluge the doyo! And then... naked everyone?!?!
(But don't worry be happy because the penis will glow obscurely. So it's OK! A whole family can be enjoyed by it! ^o^)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Marching Powder posted:

any further sumo creativity contests like shiroc held.

Would there potentially be interest in an drawing contest? in the spirit of Something Awful there would be space for both skilled effort and technically garbage but interesting works

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Shiroc posted:

Would there potentially be interest in an drawing contest? in the spirit of Something Awful there would be space for both skilled effort and technically garbage but interesting works

i think this is a rad idea though i personally draw like a five year old

maybe loosen the parameters and allow photoshops (which i also have no skill at)? or basically any multimedia effort i guess?

also if the competition goes ahead i'll pay for three of the steam sumo games (or whatever) as prizes so shiroc can have a break

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The framework I was thinking was just going to be 'some kind of static art piece' so no video, no sound. Stuff like drawing, paintings, mspaint, photoshop, sculpture if someone wanted to go wild on it, etc. I can put down the actual challenge if enough people are interested.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Shiroc posted:

The framework I was thinking was just going to be 'some kind of static art piece' so no video, no sound. Stuff like drawing, paintings, mspaint, photoshop, sculpture if someone wanted to go wild on it, etc. I can put down the actual challenge if enough people are interested.

i was kind of hoping someone would take the lead on actually setting this up because i am not an organiser of things but your parameters sound good. i will pledge to submit something truly and earnestly poo poo if it takes off. also if you want to compete shiroc i'll judge (or anyone else if they want to), but i also acknowledge that you are a superior arbiter of good sumo art than me so if you want to judge i don't think anyone would object.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

This is getting a bit far from Sumo now but from what I can tell at this point, the creator of those figurines originally posted the 3d print design for them publicly (no idea how to find this, I'm assuming it was someone Japanese but maybe not), and now a bunch of different companies are willing to 3d print it for you in several different nations and ship it at wildly different costs/fees, but also maybe final product quality differences.

I'm not sure about any of this though.

And yes aliexpress is the place for knock-off...everything. :shrug:

Brut fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 17, 2022

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Elissimpark posted:

Aliexpress ships to Australia, but that possibly only affects me.

Also, all the muscle pokemon figures I could want.

(Aliexpress seems to be the place for knock-off sumo fan shirts: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...id=JG6XXiBfQP9E)

Now you got me looking, and.... https://www.redbubble.com/shop/sumo+t-shirts

There's also this guy, who's selling tegata shirts, and stickers, so my work laptop's getting a Tochinoshin handprint on it.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Liquid Communism posted:

Now you got me looking, and.... https://www.redbubble.com/shop/sumo+t-shirts

There's also this guy, who's selling tegata shirts, and stickers, so my work laptop's getting a Tochinoshin handprint on it.

Lemme get that, uhh, black metal Hakuho shirt? Yeah, thanks.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Haha, I would love that. If anything, that one's probably less silly than the Immortal shirt I do own.

Mekchu posted:

I think they already nailed this in the N64 era, with the surprisingly fun and in-depth 64 Ōzumō (and its sequel, maybe. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks similar to the first one, which I tried and had a good time with a few years ago). It's framed with a very light story/romance element, but is mostly a basic sumo simulator where you can choose to spend points on various attributes, moves to hit from specific positions, etc., and then you work your way up the banzuke. The fights are pretty fast and lets you attempt various techniques depending on the direction you're going in, which moves you've unlocked/specialized, how strong your opponent is, etc. I don't think it exists in English, but I'd imagine it'd still be a pretty fun novelty game even if you don't understand a word of it. I'm pretty sure I never quite got the hang of exactly how the fighting system worked, but it made for fun nail-biters all the way through!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL3zq7Ifqyo

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Mekchu posted:

sumo manager in the vein of football manager where you run a heya

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Thauros posted:

i would play the gently caress out of this. carefully allocating the vicious beatings and hazings would be agonising.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Thauros posted:

In a similar vein, Cooking Mama: Chanko Edition would slap too.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I was working on a sumo manager game for a bit but got stuck on coding the byzantine matching and promotion rules

I'll get back to it some day because it was good fun, major spaghetti code though

It was meant to be more of a rogue like where you try to take one sumo to the top without getting too injured to continue

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

My friend actually got me that shirt as a birthday present recently! It owns.

I actually got most of my friend group into sumo after picking it up myself over the pandemic, and now we're all huge sumo nerds. The basho before last we got together and had a charcuterie night for the last night of the basho, and in Sep or Nov we're going to do a chanko nabe night.

...Say, speaking of goon contests, we should do a chanko recipe contest.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Thauros posted:

That would probably be a hell of a lot "easier" to code as opposed to an actual sumo fighting game too.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Mekchu posted:

I started writing a sumo rogue-like deckbuilder (think "Slay the Spire"). Mostly turn-based, but with some simultaneous action selection (eg. at tachiai).

Came up with some mechanics I like, but I got bored as I moved from "general brainstorming" to "actual design"/layout/art/UI/etc..

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't think we can ever top Sumotori Dreams, the Hattorizakura simulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP3C_UzdB8c

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Personally I just play E. Honda in Street Fighter V.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYGKSt0zxg4

Say what you will about the old sumo men but they somehow allowed this

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

No Mods No Masters posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYGKSt0zxg4

Say what you will about the old sumo men but they somehow allowed this

loving Japanese horse racing games man

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Mode 7 posted:

Personally I just play E. Honda in Street Fighter V.

I downloaded SF5 during its free trial thingy a few weeks back to just play Honda for a while. Ganryu from Tekken is my favorite sumo wrestler in games, though. Mainly because he has like 100 moves, like all Tekken characters. And then there's Taka-Arashi from Virtua Fighter, who's probably the best/most accurate representation of sumo in a fighting game.

One of the way-back-in-the-day versions of King of Fighter (I think) also had a sumo practitioner, though she was a school girl. Can't believe they stopped highlighting sumo for self-defense by never bringing that character back...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Netsky
Jun 24, 2004
I AM THE STREET

If you don't mind a game that is essentially a big csv file with simple graphics and a goofy interface, Hakoniwa Sumo is a free heya manager on steam

The translation is not perfect but if you know sumo terms you can figure it out. I've played enough to get a guy to Ozeki, but you really don't do much in the game other than pick new guys with some random potential stats revealed and set tachiais.

You can also turn match fixing on and it seems like other heyas bribe you to lose specific matches, but I'm not really sure how it works.