Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

A Stupid Baby posted:

Not sure, probably just a nonprofit. It used to be a function of the city here, but got spun off into a nonprofit rumor goes so they could close it as it was "losing money" (aka it was being spent on something that didn't have a fiscal return). It's actually doing really well financially now so I doubt they're going to use this as an excuse, and my current job does have to be done for the place to operate.. so hopefully our department will be okay. The city still is technically the employer of some of the people that work here so that's who's doing the investigating, it isn't at the level of a FBI/IRS thing... yet, or that we know of anyway.

If you're a registered charity and you lose that status it's gonna be bad. Or if they give you a pass or you're a regular non profit theres a chance you'll get audited, and assuring there's nothing else sketchy going on (lol), you might get slapped with a bunch of requirements and poo poo and have to walk on eggshells for a year or two until the heat dies down.

The system can be really forgiving but it can also be a total dick. I haven't quite figured out how to know in advance.

This is for Canada, if you're American I assume someone will bribe someone else and a few employees will be made scapegoats and woodchippered into a lake or nothing will happen because every gov department seems to be underfunded and/or badly managed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Oh yeah, going from 2 days hybrid to 3 days when we already can't get people to attend on the second hybrid day.

Lol.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Just got a bunch of executive emails about the employee engagement survey that will be rolled out in a month. First one since before the pandemic, so I expect it will be a full bore negativity bloodbath. So that’s fun. Lots of cut benefits since then. In addition to the fact that everyone is expecting the current hybrid (2 days a week in the office) to expand sooner rather than later.

What’s extra nice is that an email from the CEO was sent around trying to hype it up. Then 15 minutes later, another email that had the exact word for word body text was sent around from both the CEO and COO. Not sure if the assistant forgot to add the COO, or woke up and realized the CEO needs a fall guy for the inevitable bad results.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I ran into a buddy last week interviewing for a position at the company I work for. I think he'd be a good fit. He's been in the industry for a long time and knows it well, has experience in the same position at another company, as well as a lot of experience in other roles that would interface with this one.

He got rejected. They said he wouldn't fit the culture. The only thing we can figure is that he went in expecting WFH because that's what HR told him, and the hiring manager is firmly against it. No one wants to work.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

You might remember me from the thread title, "my boss is unvaccinated and very stupid."

Anyway we took the company away from him and he's retired. He also got COVID and almost died.

Get your loving shots and do be hostile takeover-ing your job.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Hell yeah, goons seizing the means of production

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Edward Fingerhands posted:

You might remember me from the thread title, "my boss is unvaccinated and very stupid."

Anyway we took the company away from him and he's retired. He also got COVID and almost died.

gently caress yeah.

Dumb poo poo your work does - Seizing the means of goonduction

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Edward Fingerhands posted:

lol, who would have guessed?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

LOL, everyone talking about their job and stuff doing these events. Amazon is going back to All Hands meetings now that the pandemic is over with being ignored. Every week or so I see some update from an Amazon meeting where the laborers got shafted and then did a spontaneous work stoppage.

Ours hasn't been announced yet (our site's annual wage adjustment month is September) but I'm 100% waiting to see if they'll have learned their lesson by them (LOL, expecting corporate to learn lessons) or if I'm just gonna get up midway through and walk out of the meeting.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Actual sequence that occured during my department's all hands this morning:

"A lot of people are leaving the company, either by quitting or being fired. Should I be worried?"

My VP: "I mean, you should always be a little worried, this is a private company after all."

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

goatface posted:

Today we had a second meeting about a recent mandate requiring us back into the office for a % of each week, this time with my group head, who is chair of the division's accommodation committee.

While visibly scowling: "I was told about this 5 minutes before you were"

Potentially a pro move by the company.
First, about half of the staff anger gets dropped on the group head instead of further up.
Second, some of the most damaging questions are follow-on ones. Like, "so if you say X, then can we expect Y?"
If no-one is able to answer anything about X, it's not possible to pursue any further.

I mean sure, the group head will know what's up, and may start looking for another job, but if companies were worried about turnover then they wouldn't be pulling people back to the office.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Atopian posted:

Potentially a pro move by the company.
First, about half of the staff anger gets dropped on the group head instead of further up.
Second, some of the most damaging questions are follow-on ones. Like, "so if you say X, then can we expect Y?"
If no-one is able to answer anything about X, it's not possible to pursue any further.

I mean sure, the group head will know what's up, and may start looking for another job, but if companies were worried about turnover then they wouldn't be pulling people back to the office.

I'm starting to think that companies are conspiring to bring workers back into the office so they can stop people from leaving for remote jobs that pay better or something similar. Less competition in the market is better for the employer, after all. My company is doing everything it can to attract talent and so keeps posting every job it can as remote and gives people the option to be on site if they want. We cut huge numbers at the start of COVID and have to both retain staff and add people to meet our needs, so anything that reduces our appeal is radioactive. Maybe someday we'll have real health benefits, too. Probably not, but I can dream.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I've been working two remote jobs concurrently since February. The advice on this forum helped. I'm able to get tasks done for both companies quickly with the use of a KVM switch and spend way too much time posting and still manage to go to gym twice a day every weekday.

I have an interview for a hybrid job at the end of the month. I think the job, when onsite, would be at the same facility my wife works at.

I want to get the new job and maintain both current jobs.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

kntfkr posted:

I've been working two remote jobs concurrently since February. The advice on this forum helped. I'm able to get tasks done for both companies quickly with the use of a KVM switch and spend way too much time posting and still manage to go to gym twice a day every weekday.

I have an interview for a hybrid job at the end of the month. I think the job, when onsite, would be at the same facility my wife works at.

I hate you.

Nice.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

kntfkr posted:

This is my goal for the next 2-3 years.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

kntfkr posted:

At a certain point, just subcontract the jobs you have. Live the dream.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I wish my job skills were transferable to WFH :(

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Alkydere posted:

LOL, everyone talking about their job and stuff doing these events. Amazon is going back to All Hands meetings now that the pandemic is over with being ignored. Every week or so I see some update from an Amazon meeting where the laborers got shafted and then did a spontaneous work stoppage.

Ours hasn't been announced yet (our site's annual wage adjustment month is September) but I'm 100% waiting to see if they'll have learned their lesson by them (LOL, expecting corporate to learn lessons) or if I'm just gonna get up midway through and walk out of the meeting.

From what I can tell, a huge majority of companies are looking at Amazon's success and following their model of how they treat workers and hours as a template, not a cautionary tale. I've been bouncing around the last few years from job to job and the lack of flexibility, ticky tack rules, heavy handed tactics and just general bullshit is very prevalent.

Just real draconian poo poo like punching in 3 minutes early or getting back from break 2 minutes late, strict rules about cell phone usage and very rigid scheduling with no room for customization. Stuff like that. One place was actually doing mandated times for bathroom breaks and, well, gently caress that. If I have to go to the bathroom I'm loving going, hall pass or not.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I've worked one place that actually needed good piss timing control tied to a schedule, and that was because the big machines did not give a poo poo about you or your biology and would get gummed the gently caress up if you disappeared for 5 minutes mid production run. If someone wasn't available to cover your station, you crossed your legs.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Sounds like a high turnover job.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It’s all dependent on how much you’re getting paid.

If I’m clearing $250k I’m going to have a lot more room in my life for poo poo like bathroom break scheduling than if I’m getting $25k.

Edit: that said the low end is what always gets ducked. Unless it s a hard requirement if the job like that machine example above not having draconian, dumb rules is an easy way to attract talent beyond pay. I’d happily take 225k and work in a chill office instead of 250 in an awful one. It’s the jobs that feel like you need them more than they need you that pull that poo poo.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 18, 2022

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

goatface posted:

I've worked one place that actually needed good piss timing control tied to a schedule, and that was because the big machines did not give a poo poo about you or your biology and would get gummed the gently caress up if you disappeared for 5 minutes mid production run. If someone wasn't available to cover your station, you crossed your legs.

I have a lot more sympathy for this sort of stuff.

"Enormous machine breaks if X is not done" is a lot more persuasive than "rear end in a top hat admin get annoyed if X is not done".

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

A lot of this in brewing for sure.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm pissing in a series of bottles labeled "protestant work ethic," "go getter attitude," "100% attendance" if I'm getting scheduled bathroom breaks if they don't otherwise give me a chamber pot.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It’s the jobs that feel like you need them more than they need you that pull that poo poo.

Thing is, that's like at least 90% of the jobs even out there. Almost every place I've worked (maybe 3/4 of them) typically act like they are you a doing favor by paying you for your work. "Job Creators" mentality and all that poo poo. Now that companies are implementing more and more "Amazon" rules, suddenly it's "nobody wants to work anymore".

Weirder still, most people I hear who say that are people making $12/hour or otherwise on the low end of the income spectrum

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

BiggerBoat posted:

Thing is, that's like at least 90% of the jobs even out there. Almost every place I've worked (maybe 3/4 of them) typically act like they are you a doing favor by paying you for your work. "Job Creators" mentality and all that poo poo. Now that companies are implementing more and more "Amazon" rules, suddenly it's "nobody wants to work anymore".

Weirder still, most people I hear who say that are people making $12/hour or otherwise on the low end of the income spectrum

Get back here! This bucket was good enough for your me and your grandpapa, it'll be good enough for you

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Wasn’t it a thing where some of the strongest supporters against a minimum wage increase are the people making just above minimum wage?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They worked hard for that increase so they don't like the idea of other people getting it for free.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

goatface posted:

They worked hard for that increase so they don't like the idea of other people getting it for free.

Big ol' bucket of crabby crabs. gently caress em.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Like TBF, nobody is policing my toilet breaks, but there are certain points in the process where you can't walk away without causing huge issues.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Piss in the machine to keep it lubricated.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Zero One posted:

Piss in the machine to keep it lubricated.

I don't wanna get 3rd degree burns on my dilz.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

bobjr posted:

Wasn’t it a thing where some of the strongest supporters against a minimum wage increase are the people making just above minimum wage?

Ended up being the opposite in Ontario when it jumped from $10 to $14. Everyone making $13 was thrilled that they could go work somewhere with better hours or closer to his me with no pay cut.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Escape From Noise posted:

I don't wanna get 3rd degree burns on my dilz.

Piss on the machine to cool the port you'll piss is to lubricate the machine.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

Piss on the machine to cool the port you'll piss is to lubricate the machine.

It's just mostly steam

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Like TBF, nobody is policing my toilet breaks, but there are certain points in the process where you can't walk away without causing huge issues.

I feel like the only jobs I’ve worked at that legitimate had an issue of “people hiding in the toilet on their phone” long enough to maybe warrant a toilet break rule were also super stingy about the mandatory breaks they gave.

If a place treats their employees like adults capable of managing their own breaks/lunch/whatever and it’s not all down to the minute shenanigans then you usually end up with a reasonable amount of give and take while all the work gets done.

The only exception is smokers, you give them an inch and they will spend a third of the day outside smoking on their phone.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

this is a company problem not an employee one. they should have coverage so that people can do things like take a piss without grinding to a halt.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

ArbitraryC posted:

I feel like the only jobs I’ve worked at that legitimate had an issue of “people hiding in the toilet on their phone” long enough to maybe warrant a toilet break rule were also super stingy about the mandatory breaks they gave.

If a place treats their employees like adults capable of managing their own breaks/lunch/whatever and it’s not all down to the minute shenanigans then you usually end up with a reasonable amount of give and take while all the work gets done.

The only exception is smokers, you give them an inch and they will spend a third of the day outside smoking on their phone.

Alternately, join them and smoke a joint then go back to work.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
In all my jobs, whenever non-smokers complain along the lines of 'why do they get to go out for smoke breaks, i don't get to stand outside for a few minutes every hour or two', i've always asked 'have you ever tried?' and the answer is always no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

why would i give a gently caress about meeting a deliverable deadline, ever, lol