Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yay!

https://twitter.com/adaniels33/status/1559271524015771648?s=20&t=BOEo1YHyRPYh_2y1QkK55Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
A tale of a fateful trip
That started from this tropic port
Aboard this tiny ship.

The mate was a mighty sailing man,
The skipper brave and sure.
Five passengers set sail that day
For a three hour tour, a three hour tour.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 16, 2022

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

And this is what causes Notre Dame to join a conference

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
A tale of a fateful trip
That started from this tropic port
Aboard this tiny ship.

The mate was a mighty sailing man,
The skipper brave and sure.
Five passengers set sail that day
For a three hour tour, a three hour tour.

Coconut radios; things of that nature

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/SBJ/status/1559309104161628160

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Considering CBS airs the Masters, among other PGA properties, that’s going to be a non-starter.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

They're about to call him Jared Bin Charles with how much he's basically just a part of the Saudi royal family now

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1559598494121345024

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Remembrances of cheese doodles past

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
It should be called Take a Look, Y'all

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Edward Mass posted:

Considering CBS airs the Masters, among other PGA properties, that’s going to be a non-starter.

but isn't everyone immediately impressed with Donald Trump's Fancy Lad Son-In-Law?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Things of That Nature: The Stephen A Smith story

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I’ll listen to the audiobook.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Bally Sports NOLA is charging $20 a month for their product. Which is normal for other Bally Sports regions. The issue here, however, is that they only offer the Pels. No other teams. Other regions you get the local baseball or hockey team. There is no such thing here. Yet the price is the same.

Locals (on twitter) are livid.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

speaking of that

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1559925036701454336?s=21&t=tJNfdyluZqOLGysfBWIVvA

9/26

would not be surprised if you had to pay $40/month for both la channels (and they don’t have the rights to the lakers and dodgers)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kibner posted:

Bally Sports NOLA is charging $20 a month for their product. Which is normal for other Bally Sports regions. The issue here, however, is that they only offer the Pels. No other teams. Other regions you get the local baseball or hockey team. There is no such thing here. Yet the price is the same.

Yeah scroll up to my post a few days ago, if you're in South Florida and want to watch the Panthers and the Heat you have to pay $39.98 for it. It's loving ridiculous and absolutely zero surprise they can't do anything that isn't a complete money grab.I It's barely cheaper than paying for cable, which would include the exact same streams on the app.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
If I lived in a Bally market I would simply pirate stream it all.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that's what everyone is going to do, especially for hockey where there's a well liked site that seems to have zero reliability issues. Like, I was willing to pay a reasonable sum so I could just continue watching on my AppleTV which is preferred, but this ain't it.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
god they couldn't even be bothered to offer a low rate for the first 6 months or whatever to help juice the subscription numbers?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Have some good news

https://twitter.com/DickieV/status/1560027107614494721?s=20&t=qzNFmaq4WDxR0SijdtHJJQ

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I'm happy he's alive and not announcing, I hope it stays that way.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Kibner posted:

I'd love to see these tweets, the guy in charge of Bally Sports (at least publicly) is a known local jackass who is constantly doing greedy things to make a fool of himself.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

AsInHowe posted:

I'd love to see these tweets, the guy in charge of Bally Sports (at least publicly) is a known local jackass who is constantly doing greedy things to make a fool of himself.

Just look at the replies and quote tweets (and the replies and qt's of those). Nothing unhinged. Just a lot of Bally sucks, guess I'm going to keep pirating, Pels are complicit and shouldn't allow this, etc. With a few, well I guess I can afford it if I cancel my cable entirely sprinkled in.

https://twitter.com/cclark_13/status/1559894532895940611?t=1sdM3eojXXn1OwiZu-x8uw&s=19

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Kibner posted:

Just look at the replies and quote tweets (and the replies and qt's of those). Nothing unhinged. Just a lot of Bally sucks, guess I'm going to keep pirating, Pels are complicit and shouldn't allow this, etc. With a few, well I guess I can afford it if I cancel my cable entirely sprinkled in.

https://twitter.com/cclark_13/status/1559894532895940611?t=1sdM3eojXXn1OwiZu-x8uw&s=19

Are they going to have any programming that's worth a poo poo outside of the games themselves? Why would I buy a full year when I will need it for 8 months at most?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

believe me, nobody watches those channels outside of game coverage

meanwhile, the big ten's new rights deal is official

https://twitter.com/bigten/status/1560257823216386048

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Bally should do a "get all Bally regional channels for x price". I'd take a local-but-but-national swiss cheese NBA League Pass.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Also I have no idea what ESPN's deal was about hockey, but I, a person in Southern California was able to watch almost every Minnesota Wild game on ESPN+ which was simply showing me the Bally's regional stream. Again, not sure if they'll do the same thing next year but it was weird and I didn't ask questions. I have friends who live in the given region and they are diehard sports fans and there is no way in hell they'll be paying that much for a single regional.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

soggybagel posted:

Also I have no idea what ESPN's deal was about hockey, but I, a person in Southern California was able to watch almost every Minnesota Wild game on ESPN+ which was simply showing me the Bally's regional stream. Again, not sure if they'll do the same thing next year but it was weird and I didn't ask questions. I have friends who live in the given region and they are diehard sports fans and there is no way in hell they'll be paying that much for a single regional.

Basically, ESPN+ has replaced NHL.tv as the default streaming platform for hockey in the States. If a game isn't on regular TV in your area, whether due to local rights or a national contract, it's on ESPN+, along with about five games per week that are exclusive to the platform.

For you, the Kings and Ducks would be blacked out live, but other than that, only TNT games wouldn't be accessible live at all.

It will be this way for a long time, I think.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
This is some big time penny pinching:

https://twitter.com/johncanzanobft/status/1560432524920102912?s=20&t=xwnBM_so6TtOZptHQH-viA

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

God I hate this sort of language that removes any blame. “No way around that”. As if it’s a conscious force of it’s own and not a cynical choice made by greedy billionaires.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Mahoning posted:

God I hate this sort of language that removes any blame. “No way around that”. As if it’s a conscious force of it’s own and not a cynical choice made by greedy billionaires.

I think it's time to talk about who operates Bally Sports, for example. Absolute cheap, greedy bastards.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

AsInHowe posted:

I think it's time to talk about who operates Bally Sports, for example. Absolute cheap, greedy bastards.

The last couple seasons they have been broadcasting the Pels and I was always pleasantly surprised when the video feed was a clean 720p. It was nearly always worse than that.

I came to find out later that the better picture only came when they were on the road and could rent/borrow other people's equipment.

Yeah.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Mahoning posted:

NO way around it...they're literally the only NBA franchise that will be doing that. I believe Portland is covered by Root Sports Northwest which would make them a AT&T/Turner operated regional. Regardless of who the buck stops at, they're being cheap.

AsInHowe posted:

Basically, ESPN+ has replaced NHL.tv as the default streaming platform for hockey in the States. If a game isn't on regular TV in your area, whether due to local rights or a national contract, it's on ESPN+, along with about five games per week that are exclusive to the platform.

For you, the Kings and Ducks would be blacked out live, but other than that, only TNT games wouldn't be accessible live at all.

It will be this way for a long time, I think.

That's good to know and pretty convenient for me, an out of market schlub.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

soggybagel posted:

NO way around it...they're literally the only NBA franchise that will be doing that. I believe Portland is covered by Root Sports Northwest which would make them a AT&T/Turner operated regional. Regardless of who the buck stops at, they're being cheap.

That's good to know and pretty convenient for me, an out of market schlub.

60/40 ownership by the Mariners and WB-Discovery, so part of the AT&T groups. And for reference they have live rights for the Mariners, Blazers, Kraken and Portland Timbers.

better question is who's call it would be, the team's or the network's. Radio is another thing though, not even having a radio crew travel...seems incredibly cheap and short-sighted.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Mahoning posted:

I loving hate Canzano and wish he’d gently caress off out of Oregon sports sooner than later. During COVID in early to mid 2020, he was in the Oregonian on a regular basis shouting that we should reopen the schools and get pro sports back on track because SPORTS UBER ALLES. I had to stop reading OregonLive because every time I saw his byline, I wanted to throw my phone.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

harperdc posted:

60/40 ownership by the Mariners and WB-Discovery, so part of the AT&T groups. And for reference they have live rights for the Mariners, Blazers, Kraken and Portland Timbers.

better question is who's call it would be, the team's or the network's. Radio is another thing though, not even having a radio crew travel...seems incredibly cheap and short-sighted.

According to a friend (who used to work for the Blazers) on another forum, it is 100% the team's call.

quote:

They're employed by the team and always have been.

It adds a lot to the frustration because the entire broadcast is produced in-house so the TV rights agreements they sign where not everyone gets to see the game is madness. The broadcast does nothing besides hit play. It's why at one point we actually offered a paid streaming site for those outside the tv broadcast area in Oregon. They can easily do it again and bypass it all.

Even the UI/motion graphics for the broadcast are produced in-house because I know exactly who designed it.

It's dumb.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/1560616477740474368

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Fuuuuuuck. I hate CBS’ soccer coverage. And paramount+ blows too.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/umphreysmcgee/status/1560627653140422658
I don't get this, like at all. It's. It's not like there are enough Umphrey's fans to meaningfully drive subs for Marquee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

For what it’s worth I think at least half of the broadcast crew is actually happy about this - a season full of travel and potential COVID exposure adds up for folks.