Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

And holy poo poo, the comments on the date story are just insane. A bunch of lovely people reliving the times they were turned down at dates and projecting their anger at the OP. And of course, the thread is now closed.

That and I think any story about teachers will bring people out of the woods to lose their loving mind about a lovely teacher they had when they were in middle school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
My best friend shares my texts to him with his wife, BUT this is a thing we all agreed we were OK with. Sharing personal poo poo without the agreement of all of the people involved is hosed up.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
AITA for being mad my sister-in-law sprayed me with breast milk?

quote:

So my(24F) SIL (23F) and I were sitting in the back seat of a car with our husbands up front and she was breast feeling her baby (the car was parked). Now she is kind of obsessed with her breast milk. Always talks about pumping and has zero shame with whipping them out in public which doesn’t bother me at all but she kind of makes a big deal out of it. She also always asks people if they want to try drinking it, which is an absolute no from me. I barely like cow milk.

So we were all chatting when she suddenly takes the nip out of baby’s mouth and squirts me in the face with milk. It was on my glasses and lips and I was immediately disgusted. I was so shocked I didn’t know how to react but she starts laughing and then her husband and mine also have a laugh at the breast milk dripping off my face.

I was mortified and when I told my husband how upset that made me he said it was just a joke.

AITA for being upset about this??

:staredog:

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

hawowanlawow posted:

yes I know but literally standing up and leaving in the middle of dinner is uncool and comparing it to bad vibes is also uncool

Yeah, it's rude to up and go. Now there will be times when you can justify being rude, like if he was being racist or misogynostic. But being dumb enough to admit to having no hobbies besides gaming doesn't register as red flag behavior.

Remember that Prudence from a few days ago when op's date up and left as soon she saw how trashed up his home was? People cheered her on because she got to see how much of a trash goblin he was. But this aita poster kinda jumped the gun on her date. Its her right to judge her potential dates, but they get the right to judge her for being rude in turn.

Kuros posted:

Ewwwww

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Love to spray people with bodily fluids as a joke.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Abruptly ending a date because you're just not interested (not because the other person was creepy or offensive) feels like a breach of etiquette. Most people, if they have that happen to them, would be left wondering if they'd done something to offend the other person.

It's a little unfortunate, because I don't actually want someone to feel like they have to waste a bunch of time on my behalf when they're not enjoying themselves, but it's how it is.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Eat the food.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This is why the ideal first date is a coffee and a walk somewhere public, or drinks at a bar. The option to say 'sorry, can't stay for another' regularly comes up without needing to embarass the other person.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah back when I was doing casual dating, first meetup I always went for drinks. The main drawback to that is you have too many bad dates at one specific bar and then you have a lingering feeling of vague awkwardness every time you go back there for the rest of your life.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Kuros posted:

That's roughly equivalent to spitting on someone.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

at least it wasn't a movie date at a theater

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

Yeah back when I was doing casual dating, first meetup I always went for drinks. The main drawback to that is you have too many bad dates at one specific bar and then you have a lingering feeling of vague awkwardness every time you go back there for the rest of your life.

This is why I almost never take a first date to the same place twice, and especially not a place I plan on frequenting, which is pretty easy in Denver where you can't throw a rock without hitting like five breweries

This has the added bonus that most of the time neither of us has been to the brewery in question so you get to do the "trying out a new brewery" thing

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

AITA for feeling betrayed that my bff lets her husband read my texts?

Can't believe that OP doesn't know that the shared assets in a marriage include "every text that comes through your phone".

I don't know how common this is but I've seen at least 2 or 3 cases with people getting re-married later in life after divorce or death of a spouse, and just having no loving boundaries at all with the new partner. Like my mom was talking to one of her longest friends on the phone and suddenly realized she was on speakerphone with the new boyfriend in the room (who hadn't said anything) while my mom was talking about something pretty personal. My FIL (who is a piece of poo poo for various reasons) literally cannot / will not talk to my wife on the phone without his new wife being on the call too. It's so loving weird.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I talk to my wife about most things my friends say just because they're her friends too, and occasionally I'll show her a text string, but every text?!

I don’t show my wife most texts but she has the passcode to my phone and I have the passcode to Hera, plus there is a family laptop that we share. We don’t just go reading through each other’s texts (or I don’t, and I don’t think she does). If there is something I don’t want her to see I tell her not to look at whatever location (usually Amazon orders around gifting holidays), but there are any number of legitimate reasons one of us might read the other’s texts. For instance, our kids’ schools assume that the mother is the involved parent they should contact about stuff, even though I have repeatedly told them that I work from home and should be primary contact on anything they need dealt with in a timely manner. Also, any time we drive more than an hour away I hand her my phone for GPS and/or replying to anything urgent that might come through.

I generally assume that if I communicate something to someone and they are married or have an SO that they have built a life with, there is a good chance that other person will see or hear it unless I request they not tell their SO.

With the expense report post, I feel like it doesn’t take a genius to understand that just because they gave you a generous limit they aren’t expecting you to try and max it out and be a dick about it. Have a few nice meals but keep it reasonable unless you are entertaining clients or stakeholders. If someone doesn’t have the judgement to understand that and also doesn’t ask, I’m not sure that’s someone I want to work with anyway.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I am a huge gossip and my wife is more than happy to indulge me.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i don't even want to read my own goddamn text messages

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

pentyne posted:

That and I think any story about teachers will bring people out of the woods to lose their loving mind about a lovely teacher they had when they were in middle school.

A friend of mine has noticed a decent number of profiles on dating sites that say "no teachers" and we've been trying to figure out if it's those sorts of experiences sticking with people or a euphemism for not being legally allowed near children.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah well he just said he likes videogames so not really a good example there

Uh... headbump the bricks and see if coins come out?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Bruceski posted:

A friend of mine has noticed a decent number of profiles on dating sites that say "no teachers" and we've been trying to figure out if it's those sorts of experiences sticking with people or a euphemism for not being legally allowed near children.

it's probably some maga bullshit

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for not giving my FBIL a +1 for our wedding?

quote:

Throwaway, names changed. A bit of background at the beginning,

My (27F) fiance Harry (37M) has 2 sisters and a brother Jack (32M). Me and Harry both grew in a family orientated environment, as a result he's close to his sisters/their families, and I've also gotten very close to them. Jack on the other hand is different, he doesn't interact much with the family outside of coming to a few family events or texting every once in a while. Jack is engaged to Liz (28F) who I met last year, and have seen a few times after that. We actually only found out he proposed a couple months ago, neither of them bothered to let anyone know until then. She's nice enough and very beautiful (although she doesn't utilize it at all/doesn't dress up), but she's kind of needy, like she's literally always clinging onto Jack and not making an effort to talk to the rest of us (and he always makes excuses for her). We've all tried talking and including her, but it's a one way conversation and the only time she contributes something of her own is to go on about her work.

So the invites have gone out for our wedding, Jack received one but we didn't give him a plus 1 as I don't consider Liz close enough to be invited. Jack RSVP'd no, when Harry called to ask why he said he won't be attending without Liz. I also talked to Jack and said we understand his decision, but we're just not very close to Liz. Harry added that maybe he should reconsider and he could have fun at the wedding, with a bit of time off from Liz but Jack pretty much went off and called us selfish for not giving him a +1. AITA?

thanksgiving's gonna be a fuckin blast with these people

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Foo Diddley posted:

quote:

She's nice enough and very beautiful (although she doesn't utilize it at all/doesn't dress up),

These are some weird loving details to include here. :thunk:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Foo Diddley posted:

Oh, no, not a +1 who will stay with her date all wedding and not talk to you.

Edit:

OP posted:

Okay everyone's making GBS threads on me but here's the thing - it's not just me, Harry also agrees. Same with some of his family members (sisters, step dad etc.) that Liz makes no effort. Jack is also generally pretty distant from us so I guess it's not fair to blame Liz entirely. I remember the first time I met her, there was a spider or something near her and she asked Jack to come over. Instead of communicating like adults, he literally encouraged her - stroking her hair, saying it's going to 'be okay' (again just a spider) etc like a child. Things like this.
The horror of having someone like that at your wedding.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 17, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

We're all very family oriented...but only for the good ones

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

This feels like a 6 foot party sub guy origin story.

AITA for eating most of my sister’s cake?

quote:

so on Saturday it was my sisters 16th birthday and my parents wanted to host a birthday party for her.

we went to a bowling alley, and invited our cousins and her friends. the venue was great, I really liked the curly fries there but the thing that i didn’t like was my sisters friends.

they have bullied me for years. it’s because I don’t have the same similarities as my sister. i’m overweight while my sisters body is the shape of one of those bikini model you see on the magazine. my sister is pretty, big lips and all that. i look ugly, i have acne all over me and everything. they’ve bullied me for that basically.

in the party they made fun of me for missing the bowling pins a lot of times, they blamed it because of my weight. on the other hand, my sister is a pro at bowling. sometimes I think i’m adopted.

my sister is bullying me along with them because I think she is trying to fit in with them, but I’m not really sure

I enjoyed bowling with my cousins whilst I tried to ignore them but anyways after about an hour it was time to cut the cake. the cake wasn’t large but that didn’t bother me

the portion I ate was bigger than everyone else’s, my parents knew I wanted a big portion of cake, it was so drat tasty. unfortunately when I finished eating my sister and her friends came up to me and started laughing, one of them said “are you trying to be Lizzo, because I can definitely see it” I knew she was talking about my weight, I just knew it.

I ended up crying and they quickly ran away because they didn’t want to be seen, my mum and dad came up to me asking what’s wrong, I told them they’re bullying me because of my weight, and my dad told me to just ignore them, and my mum got me a larger portion of cake to cheer me up

because I ate two large portions of cake, some people didn’t get to even eat one small piece of cake, because the cake wasn’t big. my parents ended up giving the people who didn’t get to eat any cake an extra gift bag, but they weren’t mad at me.

when we got home, my sister was mad at me saying I embarrassed her for eating most of the cake (which is why I think i’m the AH for ruining her party).

Oh nothing just eating 2 large pieces of cake so guests can’t get any. (And having poo poo parents that enable it, and a poo poo family that treats them like poo poo).

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Hughlander posted:

I told them they’re bullying me because of my weight, and my dad told me to just ignore them, and my mum got me a larger portion of cake to cheer me up

Way to go mom and dad! Stuff some more cake down their throat, that'll help them feel better! :dumbbravo:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
wonder if the golden child there will ever realize that mom and dad aren't doing them any favors

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Foo Diddley posted:

I get the feeling that Liz or her parents are either not from the same country as the OP, or have a very different skin tone.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Hughlander posted:

This feels like a 6 foot party sub guy origin story.

Oh nothing just eating 2 large pieces of cake so guests can’t get any. (And having poo poo parents that enable it, and a poo poo family that treats them like poo poo).

Death to everyone for that Lizzo jab. She’d run circles around me while playing the flute.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

teen witch posted:

Death to everyone for that Lizzo jab. She’d run circles around me while playing the flute.
"Oh no you're trying to be rich and famous and Twitter-flirt with Chris Evans all the time, how terrible."

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Foo Diddley posted:

Harry added that maybe he should reconsider and he could have fun at the wedding, with a bit of time off from Liz but Jack pretty much went off and called us selfish for not giving him a +1

Yeah, why can't Jack understand he shouldn't want to spend time with his fiancé?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Cythereal posted:

I get the feeling that Liz or her parents are either not from the same country as the OP, or have a very different skin tone.

That's exactly what I was thinking and would wager a decent amount of money that that's the case

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kurieg posted:

He wanted her to erupt at him in a screaming rage so he could be smug and be the bigger man and prove that she overreacted. But she acted like an adult. Then he wanted her to grovel and apologize for not giving him the reaction he wanted, but that isn't happening either.

It really pisses me off that so many people think the only appropriate way to be upset is to wail and gnash your teeth like you're being paid to attend a pharaoh's funeral. I'm going to go stare off into mid distance about it for awhile.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

AITA for telling my roommate to bring a cup to me if they want a cold drink since they always drink out of the containers?

quote:

I have a new roommate Natalie and she's a good roommate except for one issue- she drinks straight from the containers. Milk, tea, juices, whatever. The first time I saw her do this I asked her to please not do it because it was unhygienic and a risk to my and any of our guests' health. She apologized and said she wasn't used to having to live with others. It stopped for all of a day before she started doing it again. I've had multiple talks with her about it and asking her to stop and it hasn't stopped. After that, I started buying an extra container of some things. Put my name on it. I thought this worked for a little while but it turned out Natalie wasn't looking at which container she grabbed before drinking.

I don't have room in my bedroom for a mini-fridge but I do have an under-counter fridge for wine coolers and the like. I rearranged that to make room for staple household beverages and put a lock on it. I buy my own stuff and put it in there and Natalie has to buy her own now. Thing is, she doesn't always buy what she wants or needs, or drinks it quickly, so she asked to get some of mine. I told her I was willing to share my stuff on the condition she brings a cup before I unlock the under-counter fridge so I know she isn't drinking out of my containers. Natalie asked what she was supposed to do when I'm not there and I reminded her she could always buy more of what she's out of, as well as we have cases of water and canned drinks like seltzer, tea, and soda in the pantry so its not like she'd be stuck at home with absolutely no beverages. I overheard her telling her friends I'm being stingy on drinks in the house and making her ask before I share. I can understand if I did this right off the bat that she'd be upset, but this has been going on for a few months now. AITA because I want her to provide a cup before I open the other fridge for her?

This has to be some sort of weird power move, right? I lived alone for a long time but like, I never in my life drank straight from the container where it was some shared staple that other people would probably use.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

The Moon Monster posted:

It really pisses me off that so many people think the only appropriate way to be upset is to wail and gnash your teeth like you're being paid to attend a pharaoh's funeral. I'm going to go stare off into mid distance about it for awhile.

It's ok mate. Don't be afraid to cry. Don't let toxic masculinity hold you back. Let it go. You will be better for it. Let your feelings go and free your mind from them.

gonna steel the pharaoh's funeral line though..

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, I've had two breakups now where both guys claimed to be blindsided because I never screamed or yelled at them. They didn't realize that the multiple sit-down conversations i had where I outlined how their behavior hurt me and what I needed them to do in the future were actually me being mad at them. Everybody got three tries and that was it.

While talking, they would agree to everything I asked for (stuff like, "please text me if you're going to be more than a few minutes late") and then never do any of the things they agreed to. Then, a week or two later when I would dump them, they would not seem to put 2 and 2 together to understand that yes, I was angry in those conversations, and no, I wasn't going to put up with it forever.

Now I'm down to one try. If we have to have a Talk and no changes, I'm out. I'm not going to throw a tantrum just to get you to pay attention.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

teen witch posted:

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
AITA for not wanting to go to a vegetarian restaurant every time?

quote:

I work in a small workplace where we are really close, and we go out for drinks or a meal roughly once a month.

A new woman started who is kind of odd. One thing she is weird about is where she'll eat. She brings almost everything from home - she even brings a portable mug instead of using our mugs at work. I asked her about it once and she said it was a religious thing but she doesn't look that religious.

She has come out for drinks with us and hasn't kicked up a fuss, but she never came out for a meal with us until she realised there's a vegetarian place nearby. She also bought us a round of drinks there to say thanks for going to the vegetarian place because she "can't" eat at other places. Since they got free drinks, some of my colleagues were happy with this and wanted to go back to "include" her. But she was never actually excluded.

Anyway, we went to the veggie place again, she bought drinks again. Then she tried to suggest it for a THIRD time. But I don't want to eat at the same restaurant every time so I said no. I wanted to eat meat. Meat restaurants do vegetarian meals, so she is NOT excluded.

She looked at me all wide-eyed and said "oh okay, maybe I can join you next time you go for drinks" and ran off. My colleagues acted off and decided to postpone dinner.

AITA for not wanting to be forced to eat vegetarian every time?
People in the original thread are agreeing with the woman in question being Jewish, with not wanting to eat off of plates that might have once contained non-kosher meats but being willing to drink alcohol. OP is either completely clueless or intentionally trying to exclude the "weird" new person that everyone else seems to like. Or an anti-Semitic troll, there is that too.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
"she doesn't look very jewish religious"

wow OP, i can't believe reddit cracked the code there, you were being so sneaky about it

e: lol gently caress this guy

OP posted:

Okay one, I don't even know if that is her religion, some people also suggested she is Muslim and doesn't care about alcohol rules or is even Buddhist. Two, antisemitism isn't a thing here anymore. If anything, Jewish people have more rights than other people (as you explained in how people would side with her if she is a Jew).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

edgeman83 posted:

AITA for not wanting to go to a vegetarian restaurant every time?

People in the original thread are agreeing with the woman in question being Jewish, with not wanting to eat off of plates that might have once contained non-kosher meats but being willing to drink alcohol. OP is either completely clueless or intentionally trying to exclude the "weird" new person that everyone else seems to like. Or an anti-Semitic troll, there is that too.

Quite possibly clueless, I've run into stuff that I thought was obvious because I grew up exposed to it that outsiders had no idea about. But yeah when you know that's a thing it's obvious that's the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

"she doesn't look very jewish religious"

wow OP, i can't believe reddit cracked the code there, you were being so sneaky about it

e: lol gently caress this guy

...okay I officially retract any goodwill I extended, screw this guy.