Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
what are you talking about, russia started the war with less than 200 iskanders and has burned through most of that already. Their supply of precision munitions is clearly limited. they've just got a mountain of dumb rocket artillery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Herstory Begins Now posted:

what are you talking about, russia started the war with less than 200 iskanders and has burned through most of that already. Their supply of precision munitions is clearly limited. they've just got a mountain of dumb rocket artillery
Oryx doesn't have any documented Iskander losses so I'm assuming they're still around. How many missiles they have left is :iiam: but I doubt they just ran the stockpile dry.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
the launcher is an afterthought in cost compared to the missile itself

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Not that it was ever really great, but Russian opsec has had some really bad failures lately. On the other hand, if someone wanted to get their commanding officers killed, it's probably pretty easy to just upload a photo of their headquarters to, like, any major telegram channel

In the case of the Wagner HQ, not only was a geolocation not turned off on the photos, but one of the photos literally contained a sign with the full address of the building.

And, at least in this case, if the person who posted those photos just wanted a quick promotion he was doing it wrong, since he literally was killed by the resulting Ukrainian strike.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

saratoga posted:

It's pretty clear they had someone close to Putin on the payroll

It's not exactly a buried lede but it's still pretty wild how casually the article tosses off "yeah the CIA has pretty much penetrated every level of the Russian state apparatus."

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Moon Slayer posted:

It's not exactly a buried lede but it's still pretty wild how casually the article tosses off "yeah the CIA has pretty much penetrated every level of the Russian state apparatus."

Most of them have their wives and kids living in western countries. Peskov has I think five kids and Nalany joked that a NATO brigade could be formed out of them because they're citizens of various EU countries. Hard to conceptualize what people at that level of power on a dictatorship think, but I imagine a lot of them want a cool peaceful rich life for themselves and their families and not recreating USSRv2 and they're only there because they're too deep in to leave now

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1559942987018280961
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/17/i-dont-see-justice-in-this-war-russian-soldier-exposes-rot-at-core-of-ukraine-invasion

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jesus Christ Europe

https://twitter.com/RobinBrooksIIF/status/1559897156429189121

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Nenonen posted:

:siren::derp::siren: BREAKING ⚡ PUTIN'S PIGS HAVE CROSSED THE FINNISH BORDER :siren::derp::siren:

Finnish border guards are reporting countless invaders coming in... no obstacles stop them PLEASE HELP US WE ARE DYING

https://twitter.com/PKarjalan_raja/status/1559813087783419905

Casus porkbelli.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

If you you tell people that something will become harder to get, they'll start hoarding :shrug:

Tamba fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 17, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
appears to be the pandemic related reduction in demand that caused the dip and then renewed demand and war-related uncertainty that fueled the increase in cost

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 17, 2022

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I mean that sucks but in terms of expectations it probably makes more sense to look at volume of imports rather than price.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Supplying the Ukrainians with a diversity of hardware creates logistics challenges but it’s probably preferable to not being supplied with hardware. While it would be nice to standardize on supplying specific hardware, extra production capacity doesn’t magically exist and that would mean that specific countries would give up a lot more gear. And in the current environment, why would you empty your own stockpiles without replacements lined up?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Cicero posted:

I mean that sucks but in terms of expectations it probably makes more sense to look at volume of imports rather than price.

Same volume at a higher price is actually better for Russia. Means enormous margins to fund their war.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Same volume at a higher price is actually better for Russia. Means enormous margins to fund their war.

Hence the point of the sanctions. They have lots of money, but can't buy anything useful.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I think the price per barrel of oil is down to $90, if/when it goes below $62 it hurts the russians.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

I think the most surprising thing about this is we still had that much Intel on Russia after the Trump admin.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

I think the most surprising thing about this is we still had that much Intel on Russia after the Trump admin.

Why would that be surprising? The people who do the spying and analysis, civil servants, don't leave just because an administration changes.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

the popes toes posted:

Why would that be surprising? The people who do the spying and analysis, civil servants, don't leave just because an administration changes.

I think he was more referring to how Trump very stupidly exposed a lot of intelligence secrets, publicly and privately.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Something like not liking making more than a 100 shots a day and being picky about ammunition.

Edit: and apparently 2/3rds of them have been sent back for repairs due to problems from heavy use.

Anywhere to read more details about this?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Anywhere to read more details about this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/JakOSpades/status/1559103964045623297

Best I can find googling around is https://www.google.com/amp/s/gagadg...e-howitzer-amp/ which is rather light on details.

Earlier report on the fire rate limits: https://bulgarianmilitary.com/amp/2022/07/30/german-pzh-2000s-in-ukraine-wear-out-error-message-after-heavy-fire/

The real sources appear to be der Spiegel, and it's, well, in German.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The Tagesspiegel link makes no mention of the problems with PzH 2000. Both 'newsnpr' and 'bulgarianmilitary' seem dodgy sources from anonymous or possible automated writers.

The URL for the Tagesspiegel link clearly is about exactly that, only 1/3 of the delivered howitzers are functioning but the URL goes to the general page for Ukraine war news and searching for the specific term in the site gives no result.

https://www.tagesspiegel.de/politik...n/28063400.html

It seems you can put anything in this URL, like 'all howitzers are working' and you will also end up on the Ukraine news page.

https://www.tagesspiegel.de/politik/krieg-in-der-ukraine-nur-alle-gelieferten-panzerhaubitzen-2000-funktionieren/28063400.html

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 17, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rad Russian posted:

I assume the hope is that if Kherson falls then that means the Russian army is in full retreat at that point. At least in that general area. I don't think Ukraine will be crossing the rivers under heavy fire and will instead automatically push the lines to the Crimea border if Kherson is taken.

If Russia simply already withdrew to the other side of the river and started setting up a defense there, then it's a different story. All indications point to Putin giving the order to defend Kherson at all costs, no matter what.

Yeah, although the idea of Kherson's fall resulting in an automatic push toward Crimea relies on this presumption that Putin places all the bets on holding Kherson despite it being difficult to supply (even harder than Stalingrad during WW2). The Dnipro river delta around Kherson is extremely defensible and it's a drat shame that Ukrainians weren't able to blow the bridges at the first sign of Russian invasion because chances are that the front would still be there and Kherson would be free. There's not too many good crossing points and mostly you just end on a small marshy island in the middle of the waterways. If Ukrainians liberated Kherson and the north bank then the next issue on agenda would have to be to use drones and artillery to shut down Russian forward posts and send commando detachments to comb the area so that there's no one left, not even a single Spetsnaz guy with a radio.

If you are able to cross the delta then there's a large forested area, some marshes and lots of villages and cottages and the like - very dense terrain. This is in theory very defendable, but if Ukraine was actually able to cross the river and expand their bridgeheads then at that point Russians probably would be losing such close terrain too, it'd be difficult to contain infiltrating attacks. But then comes the open farmland with quite evenly dispersed villages and small towns. If Russians made an orderly withdrawal they could use this region to create a network of fortified strong points around villages from which forward observers and ATGM teams could control the (heavily mined) fields between them and make Ukrainian advance slow.

But before any of this can happen, Kherson will have to be taken first and we haven't seen yet how well Ukrainians can carry big offensive operations in an urban area. And we don't know how well Russians can supply their forces there via water and air ways when all bridges are cut. And there lies the conundrum: can Ukraine take the city back without turning it into ruins like Mariupol or taking heavy losses in the process? My guess is: yes, it's their city and they know all the streets, but it's going to take time or some great luck.

If Russian supply lines are completely cut then the best chance for Russians would be to withdraw to the district of Korabel which is on its own island and has big apartment buildings and factories, like a mini-Azovstal. The most lovely place to die in.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Now other people might not think this is interesting, related to the current war, or possibly the internal politics of Tsar Putin’s Russia, but I sure as hell do.

What is the current public opinion about the restoration of the Monarchy in Russia? Does anyone know… I couldn’t find much, but I remember reading some articles a couple years before the pandemic that, if my memory serves, but support for some form of restoration at around 30%.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Kchama posted:

I think he was more referring to how Trump very stupidly exposed a lot of intelligence secrets, publicly and privately.

Yes that's what I was talking about. No doubt the Trump admin did a serious amount of damage to our Intel capabilities and publicly we have no idea the extent of it. So I found it kind of surprising that we still had good Intel on what Russia was up to prior to the invasion.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

Now other people might not think this is interesting, related to the current war, or possibly the internal politics of Tsar Putin’s Russia, but I sure as hell do.

What is the current public opinion about the restoration of the Monarchy in Russia? Does anyone know… I couldn’t find much, but I remember reading some articles a couple years before the pandemic that, if my memory serves, but support for some form of restoration at around 30%.

Wait, Russian nobility still has titles within Russia? They weren't permanently abolished? What does it mean to be a Russian "Duke?"

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

Yes that's what I was talking about. No doubt the Trump admin did a serious amount of damage to our Intel capabilities and publicly we have no idea the extent of it. So I found it kind of surprising that we still had good Intel on what Russia was up to prior to the invasion.

Nah. I was somewhat adjacent to that field, but technical CI, and there were no suggestions (that I heard) that he damaged capabilities. If you heard something regarding damaging capabilities, I'd be interested.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Wait, Russian nobility still has titles within Russia? They weren't permanently abolished? What does it mean to be a Russian "Duke?"

Nothing whatsoever other than fringe monarchists masturbating furiously all over you

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I don't know for sure about Russia, but I know that once communism ended in a lot of former Eastern European countries the people living there rapidly needed some sort of common national culture and symbolism to cling to for legitimacy and pride. In Serbia following the end of communism there was a big drive to try and bring back the monarchy and rehabilitate the Cetniks because the country had nothing else to refer to prior to communism and it helped fuel the usual nationalist crap Europe deals with right now.

Fun fact, while all royal titles and privileges for the Habsburgs are formally abolished in Austria, they are still legal and official under Croatian laws.

Meanwhile today's Germany while very much a product of Allied occupation in the post WW2 era draws its political heritage to the revolutions of 1848. I think it's very much a culmination of everything the revolutionaries of 1848 tried to achieve before Bismarck co-opted German nationalism under conservative/monarchist control. The US sort of owes him a debt indirectly because all the exiles from the failed '48 revolutions aka "forty eighters" fueled a strong liberal cultural tradition in antebellum USA that led to some very dedicated supporters of the Union in the civil war. If you've ever seen Tarantino's "Django Unchained" it's pretty much implied that Christoph Waltz' character was likely a forty-eighter who escaped to the US to make his living as a bounty hunter using his combat experience fighting the Prussian monarchy.

A lot of countries that were supposed to become liberal democracies after shedding their ties to the Russian/Austrian/Prussian/Ottoman empires only really got their chance after the USSR fell.
Many like Russia never had the chance to build a political tradition outside of Tsarist times and Soviet times because all the alternatives were so heavily demonized by both sides during the upheaval of the Russian civil war.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 17, 2022

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

It makes sense to me. Ukraine doesn't have the materiel to do a massive armored counter-attack, and doing one without that would likely just lead to a lot of casualties. Also, in a way, time is on Ukraine's side. The longer the war goes on, the more of their troops can be trained and the more equipment can be put to use from the west. The economic and human cost will likely be higher, but it is already going to be hell to recover from this as is.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Yureina posted:

It makes sense to me. Ukraine doesn't have the materiel to do a massive armored counter-attack, and doing one without that would likely just lead to a lot of casualties. Also, in a way, time is on Ukraine's side. The longer the war goes on, the more of their troops can be trained and the more equipment can be put to use from the west. The economic and human cost will likely be higher, but it is already going to be hell to recover from this as is.

From what I understand, Ukraine does have quite a few tanks. They may not be as advanced as what the Russians have but they do have a lot. But I wonder if Ukraine has decided that using them for massive assaults on defended towns would probably end as well for them as it does for the Russians when they do the same thing. Maybe even worse considering the Russians have helicopter gunships.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ukraine just needs to, unfortunately, kill Russian soldiers as quickly and efficiently as possible without taking crippling losses. There's not really a need for a big singular decisive victory, and this whole "but what if Russia has time to hold their fake referendum and declare this land part of Russia" is not a thing. No one who matters will recognize that, and any threats to defend "new Russia" with nuclear weapons would be ignored.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 17, 2022

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

From what I understand, Ukraine does have quite a few tanks. They may not be as advanced as what the Russians have but they do have a lot. But I wonder if Ukraine has decided that using them for massive assaults on defended towns would probably end as well for them as it does for the Russians when they do the same thing. Maybe even worse considering the Russians have helicopter gunships.

If Ukraine can succeed in cutting off the Russian supply lines and bombard them for a while, I'm not sure how well the defenders will hold up under any kind of assault. Russian morale is generally pretty low even when they're gaining ground, I doubt we'll see any heroic defending like with Mariupol.

That's probably what it'll come down to, either they can cut off the defenders and roll them over, or any sort of assault will be out of the question. Lots of reasons to be hopeful that they can pull this off though.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Yureina posted:

It's a bit hazardous to say that time is on Ukraine's or Russia's side because we don't really know how long the war will continue and what will happen during that time. This is like saying in 1914 that the time is on the Entente's side. In a way, yes, but had USA stayed out of the war it would have dragged on longer - and even then it took four years and millions of dead people to see through.

I guess my main point is that time is on the side of Death. But it's also that both sides are trying to get more battalions ready to fight (both fresh and ones needing refit), and there is no way of telling who is faring better. Maybe Ukraine has built a massive strategic reserve that they are about to unleash at any moment? Or maybe it hasn't? I don't think they're going to tell us things like that. Neither will Russia. Ukraine has gained plenty of new weapons systems lately. But is it enough to overcome the advantage Russia had before? It's really hard to tell.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Someone who’s more knowledgeable about Ukrainian climate: how much time left does Ukraine have for an offensive this year? When is fall mud season / winter?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cantorsdust posted:

Someone who’s more knowledgeable about Ukrainian climate: how much time left does Ukraine have for an offensive this year? When is fall mud season / winter?

Traditionally you’re looking at late October through early December, but with the accursed weather of modern day I wouldn’t try to be more specific than that. This is to particularly keep in mind because snow accumulation through winter is a fair share more reliable than rain (which is the cause of autumn mud season).

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

This war begin with people claiming it would not start until the ground was frozen (long after it was in fact frozen)

now people are claiming it'll end when the ground freezes.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

This war begin with people claiming it would not start until the ground was frozen (long after it was in fact frozen)

Are they now? I think it’s sensible enough to expect mobile operations slow down when gravel roads will become unable to support large convoys.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

FishBulbia posted:

Who's claiming this I missed that? Is it the same people from before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

e: gently caress wrong thread (again)

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 18, 2022