Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Antonymous posted:

also when someone says their friend's significant other was shot in the back in an event where people were shot in the back it looks unhinged to immediately call them a liar

you look like "the bad guy"

I don't mean to make some political point with this just if you ever do this in real life be prepared to lose the ear of anyone around you. its not a good look/good tactic

you can be normal and accuse the person who said their friends significant other got shot in the back at china's 1/6 (6/4) of lying (but also they deserved it anyway)

hey why are you kicking me out of the meeting what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Hey thread look it's something else this is kind of funny lol

https://twitter.com/HuXijin_GT/status/1559949612495949824?s=20&t=Bm9SrS3z5xjFjLKN_ZYS6A

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
posters recognize posters

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

hell,

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DiscountDildos posted:

The HK stuff and the way US media covered and politicians talked about it was a mindfuck when I found out that actually the HK cops hadn't killed anybody, despite all the noise about the BRUTAL, INHUMANE CRACKDOWN. I remember one day there was a post at the top of reddit of some graffiti in HK that said (in English, of course): "who can we call when the cops are the killers?"

So I'm like "alright, how many have they killed? A couple hundred?" Cops killing civilians is so normalized here that I just assumed surely the HK police were doing it too. Nope! Not only were they not killing people but nobody, including on the protest side, was even claiming that they were. The graffiti picture was just dumbass propaganda for idiot westerners (me).

lol so Ukraine was just aggressively deploying the pre-existing China playbook against Russia

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sound strategy, :mmmhmm:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh no oh no no no

Ya know what, sure, she was for real, you typed enough words to convince me. ooh wowie. Please stop posting more.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah when china starts funding NGOs, CNAID, Radio Communist America to promote chinese style democracy in the states I'll be more willing to think that the protest that starts about the brutal police regime that suddenly warp into upholding xi thought has been co-opted.

i wish this was true

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

unwantedplatypus posted:

Love to casually have a 16 year old drinking buddy

its finnish culture. That and making Spurdobear.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tankbuster posted:

its finnish culture. That and making Spurdobear.

is normal, eh?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Goon talking sex alert.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1559968302948294656?s=20&t=61Tv9RKzRuORmhIr-fw1-g

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Why was there a moratorium?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

lollontee posted:

how does that follow, exactly?

in my experience, things I admit to people privately aren't common knowledge among people 7k miles away who speak a different language.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

indigi posted:

in my experience, things I admit to people privately aren't common knowledge among people 7k miles away who speak a different language.

i am more than 7k "miles" away from you, and speak a different language

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Femur posted:

Goon talking sex alert.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
spudrö spädre :DD:D:DDD

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lollontee posted:

i am more than 7k "miles" away from you, and speak a different language

are we in a private meeting right now?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

indigi posted:

are we in a private meeting right now?

oh hun... that's gonna cost ya extra :wink:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lollontee posted:

oh hun... that's gonna cost ya extra :wink:

well, I'd expect some discretion in that case. but apparently the upper echelon of the CPC doesn't have the same expectation of its members

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

indigi posted:

well, I'd expect some discretion in that case. but apparently the upper echelon of the CPC doesn't have the same expectation of its members

look, what is your point exactly? the US regime admits to plenty of atrocities that are still taboo subjects in public debate

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lollontee posted:

look, what is your point exactly? the US regime admits to plenty of atrocities that are still taboo subjects in public debate

you said that they only talk about Tiananmen Square in private meetings. they don't, though, or I wouldn't know about it

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

lollontee posted:

i personally know a tiananmen survivor who lost her husband while fleeing the firing. you can admit that the CCP is guilty of atrocities while remaining a communist, btw

You originally brought up your friend to support the claim that the CPC is guilty of atrocities. That there is intent and culpability.

And when people made fun of you for making this claim, that’s when you brought in all the personal details and contextual information about your relationship.

All you’ve given us about Tiananmen is that her husband was shot while running away, which is obviously horrible.

I believe your friend and I believe you’re genuine. The weight of her tragedy is obviously great. It doesn’t tell us much about Tiananmen overall though, other than that unarmed people were shot, which we already knew.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the bitcoin of weed posted:

this story finally got interesting. was the drunk tianenmen widow hot

every day this forum manages to disappoint me

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

indigi posted:

you said that they only talk about Tiananmen Square in private meetings. they don't, though, or I wouldn't know about it

oh my god, do you not know the difference between public and private? private is not secret, it's just not public. tiananmen square is treated in public as a taboo subject, much like the many atrocities of the US are treated in their public sphere of debate, what is so difficult about this concept? tiananmen is not treated with the same kind of sober introspection that the Mao era is, it is in fact, not talked about at all. except in private, between individuals who trust each other.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

unwantedplatypus posted:

I believe your friend and I believe you’re genuine. The weight of her tragedy is obviously great. It doesn’t tell us much about Tiananmen overall though, other than that unarmed people were shot, which we already knew.

the people she was with were not armed. she didn't see a gun in sight. now maybe the soldiers did see somebody holding a pistol-shaped object, so the soldiers, in panic, decided to fire repeated volleys into the whole crowd, reload, and continue firing in volleys. this is indeed possible

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

lollontee posted:

oh my god, do you not know the difference between public and private? private is not secret, it's just not public. tiananmen square is treated in public as a taboo subject, much like the many atrocities of the US are treated in their public sphere of debate, what is so difficult about this concept? tiananmen is not treated with the same kind of sober introspection that the Mao era is, it is in fact, not talked about at all. except in private, between individuals who trust each other.

that's because the mistakes and suffering in Mao's time affected all sectors of society whereas Tiananmen just plain didn't. a lot of these things aren't so much "taboo" as nobody cares, which is a depressing thought but it's true. People will actively compartmentalize their own government's atrocities as they're happening, because they're not happening to them. Like, try bringing up America's complacency in Yemen. It's not that people are afraid to talk about it or hate talking about it, they just plain aren't interested.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Somebody once defended the idea that false rape accusations are common to me by saying their dad had two allegations against them. I informed them that could be because their father raped those women. As expected they got very upset. This type of “You wouldn’t dare question my anecdote!” argumentation is common. What are you supposed to do other than ignore the emotional appeal?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Ignoring the emotional appeal is not a good look.

It’s like not answering the important question of whether you’ve stopped hitting your wife yet.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

that's because the mistakes and suffering in Mao's time affected all sectors of society whereas Tiananmen just plain didn't. a lot of these things aren't so much "taboo" as nobody cares, which is a depressing thought but it's true. People will actively compartmentalize their own government's atrocities as they're happening, because they're not happening to them. Like, try bringing up America's complacency in Yemen. It's not that people are afraid to talk about it or hate talking about it, they just plain aren't interested.

Yemen isn't Tiananmen either though. the CCP actively does care about how tiananmen is remembered in history, and they would prefer it was simply forgotten, while the US regime simply does not care about Yemen, or whether people remember it. but whatever, i feel like this is getting into hairsplitting over what precisely is the nature of the "taboo". which is far more interesting of a topic

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

lollontee posted:

Yemen isn't Tiananmen either though. the CCP actively does care about how tiananmen is remembered in history, and they would prefer it was simply forgotten, while the US regime simply does not care about Yemen, or whether people remember it. but whatever, i feel like this is getting into hairsplitting over what precisely is the nature of the "taboo". which is far more interesting of a topic

the government caring about public opinion has a obviously a sign that it is authoritarian. in a true democracy the government has no need to care about what the people think

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
the thread title is still cracking me up, some expats are so weirds.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Hello everybody on this dead gay comedy forums, can you change your worldview because my special friend is very sad? If you don’t you’re a bad person.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

unwantedplatypus posted:

Somebody once defended the idea that false rape accusations are common to me by saying their dad had two allegations against them. I informed them that could be because their father raped those women. As expected they got very upset. This type of “You wouldn’t dare question my anecdote!” argumentation is common. What are you supposed to do other than ignore the emotional appeal?

"as expected they got very upset" lmao

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

"my friend said false rape accusations are common so I called his father a rapist. There was no other logical way to win them over"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Antonymous posted:

Pretty much sums up C-SPAM

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

eSports Chaebol posted:

the government caring about public opinion has a obviously a sign that it is authoritarian. in a true democracy the government has no need to care about what the people think

i don't know why you're talking about authoritarianism and democracy, mate

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Antonymous posted:

an actual lol irl

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lollontee posted:

i don't know why you're talking about authoritarianism and democracy, mate

probably b/c those are the terms used to argue about China's government re: June 4th and present

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Antonymous posted:

"my friend said false rape accusations are common so I called his father a rapist. There was no other logical way to win them over"

Do you think false allegations are common?

lollontee posted:

an actual lol irl

Do you?