Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Clarste posted:

My guess is that they're dipping their toes in and seeing if NFTs make things sell better.

Still laughing at Chevy trying this and having 0 bids despite the customer also getting a car. They then extended the auction and got... 0 more bids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I love how cryptobros think people just don't understand NFTs so if they talk about it for a couple more hours they will win people over.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/rickardynft_/status/1549507500189585408
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1549510086032117761

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lmbo i remember relic from the star citizen thread. what a loving mark.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Star Citizen marks are enormously more respectable than NFT shills because people shoveling money into Star Citizen to buy spaceship jpegs are only scamming themselves and aren't directly contributing to the final, catastrophic collapse of the climate.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

SE named their NFT project Meteor.

After the thing in FFVII which threatens to destroy everything.

The figures are also FFVII.

The FF with the environmental and anti corporate messaging.

They just... :psyduck:
Jesus CHRIST.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ghostlight posted:

with the bonus that when they take down the servers you lose any ability to verify the authenticity immediately rather than when the paper it's on rots.

that's about as useful as actual "certificates of authenticity" to be fair

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
We live in hell.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/08/indie-devs-outraged-by-unlicensed-game-sales-on-gamestops-nft-market/

quote:

But Ello got a bit abstract when asked to explain the utility of freshly minted NFT versions of games that were already freely playable elsewhere on the web.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Remember the Polium multi blockchain console a few pages back? They deleted their Twitter account.

Deffon
Mar 28, 2010

Lammasu posted:

Remember the Polium multi blockchain console a few pages back? They deleted their Twitter account.

It still exists, they just removed the underscores from their twitter handle:
https://twitter.com/Polium

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Deffon posted:

It still exists, they just removed the underscores from their twitter handle:
https://twitter.com/Polium

I find that even stupider.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Massively Overpowered: Richard Garriott’s NFT MMO has a website and a name: Iron and Magic

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Eurogamer: Untamed Isles is a cautionary tale of game development funded by crypto investors

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

I find it hilarious in multiple ways that the official game website linked from that article looks like this now.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Scam so bad they can't even pay out to advertise it.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Vercel hosts websites. It's not that they can't afford advertising for their web site, it's that they can't (or won't) pay for their actual website.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Oh that is what I meant, since marketing materials is all the actual website would contain.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Look, at the end of the day, the website content is irrelevant. What matters is that the NFT contains a link to said website! Buy now before they're out of stock!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Got an absolutely shameful reminder of how little these NFT folks actually know about, like, anything at a local games conference today. They had the biggest theatre, they were talking to about nineteen people total (of whom 90% including myself were hardcore skeptics there to do a little trolling), and they actually had the gall to put the world's most obvious plant in the audience. He straight up stood up up during the Q&A, completely ignoring the folks in line to ask questions, to announce that he had bought one NFT from each of the companies that were part of the talk and wanted to know about any upcoming features; the folks on the panel very obviously fed him like four additional questions while the people actually in line to ask questions just sat there waiting and the rest of the audience audibly groaned. They hacked the Q&A short because multiple people were asking things like "do you know how old the technology actually is" and "how are refunds handled in accordance with local consumer law" and receiving embarrassing stumbling in response.

It was really clear that none of the companies actually had anything to show off and were just there to vibes out about how good things were gonna be and really had just englobed themselves in a perfect echo chamber bubble of other enthusiasts.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Somfin posted:

Got an absolutely shameful reminder of how little these NFT folks actually know about, like, anything at a local games conference today.

Was this the New Zealand game dev conference out of curiosity? Having an obvious plant in a tiny audience is pretty lmao

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

FishMcCool posted:

Look, at the end of the day, the website content is irrelevant. What matters is that the NFT contains a link to said website! Buy now before they're out of stock!

Sure, the link leads to a 404, but hey, it's yours!*

*The link that is, not the 404 page.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

kirbysuperstar posted:

Was this the New Zealand game dev conference out of curiosity? Having an obvious plant in a tiny audience is pretty lmao

It was. They had to cut him off from an obviously planned fifth question because they were finally reading the room and seeing that no-one was buying it.

Like, I get that they submitted their talk back in January before the crypto crash but it is painfully clear that none of them expected any actual hostility or real questions.

Also one of the talking points was "we don't want the future to be delivered by white dudes," spoken with a straight face by a white dude CEO on a panel with two other white dude CEOs, one white lady CEO, and one of the white dude's employees who absolutely was not there for diversity purposes how dare you suggest such a thing

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I hope one of the questions was "How come NFTs are so cool and good?".

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Popete posted:

I hope one of the questions was "How come NFTs are so cool and good?".

There was a "do you have any cool upcoming features like this one that I'm going to mention by name"

There was, importantly, one single mention of games in the entire one hour presentation, which was about getting kids to make games for money (the guy called it pocket money 2.0)

That guy's company is called "gamefroot" and was a cool kid's first games making tool a few years ago, he seemed super disillusioned by the whole thing

Somfin fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 19, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Somfin posted:

There was a "do you have any cool upcoming features like this one that I'm going to mention by name"

There was, importantly, one single mention of games in the entire one hour presentation, which was about getting kids to make games for money (the guy called it pocket money 2.0)

oh my god

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Disrupting and reinventing child labor for the modern era.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I find it hilarious in multiple ways that the official game website linked from that article looks like this now.

It now links to a Facebook page. What in the Nine Hells is going on?

Lammasu fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 19, 2022

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kanos posted:

Disrupting and reinventing child labor for the modern era.

"Reinventing" is a stretch

"We want a slice of that sweet, sweet Roblox money" is more accurate

https://blog.gamefroot.com/blog/2022/web3-toolkit-for-games/

The only thing that they've actually got working so far is NFT gating, aka excluding the filthy poors

One of the more repulsive things I've seen in the space, considering the core of the product looks like this

https://make.gamefroot.com/

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Somfin posted:

"Reinventing" is a stretch

"We want a slice of that sweet, sweet Roblox money" is more accurate

https://blog.gamefroot.com/blog/2022/web3-toolkit-for-games/

The only thing that they've actually got working so far is NFT gating, aka excluding the filthy poors

One of the more repulsive things I've seen in the space, considering the core of the product looks like this

https://make.gamefroot.com/

The joke is that awful techbros continually "disrupt" and "reinvent" things that already exist except in shittier, more wasteful, and more exploitative ways.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kanos posted:

The joke is that awful techbros continually "disrupt" and "reinvent" things that already exist except in shittier, more wasteful, and more exploitative ways.

Oh, absolutely. I just wanted to emphasise that it wasn't even an original reinvention. The failson behind Gamefroot just saw Roblox making absurd loving money and got dollar signs in his eyes.

One of the folks on the panel was talking about how he totally had this idea for an interconnected "world" with a webcomic and an animated series and an MMO and wanted to figure out how to let players have ownership of that and just found it all so hard until one day he just happened upon the idea of NFTs

I really wish that I'd asked him "what other technology did you look at" because that's precisely the sort of "problem" that you make up to justify a decision to do NFTs, no-one who actually wants to make any of those wants to make all of them at once and anyone who did would probably have started with, y'know, a loving database

Also he talked about how your character would go do stuff and "you could sell that" and I can totally see one of the three parts of the sale equation there, the seller, but I cannot for the life of me invision either what I'm supposed to be selling or who would ever be interested in buying

They were also all very insistent that this was about protecting ownership of your own data and that is completely incompatible with any of the ideas they were putting forward, which would all have to start with a EULA that says "we own all the same data that we used to, ok?"

Meanwhile we just had Phat Loot, the New Zealand studio behind Untamed Isles, lay off all their staff because they lost all their money on a crypto gamble.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 21, 2022

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Game Developer: Will Wright's Gallium Studios raises $6 million to fund blockchain games

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
God loving dammit Will, what happened to "I make toys not games, I want to teach kids to experiment and be creative with gameplay"??? Guess it's time to teach the kids about gambling and FOMO!

If Sid Meier starts a blockchain / nft game studio my inner child will loving hang itself, I swear to god.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm not that surprised. Hasn't he always described himself as libertarian?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

man who made simcity ignores lessons of simcity

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Well, with Spore, he already has an industry track record in overpromising/underdelivering, which likely makes him a perfect fit for NFTs.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You cant cut back on blockchain! You will regret this!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FishMcCool posted:

Well, with Spore, he already has an industry track record in overpromising/underdelivering, which likely makes him a perfect fit for NFTs.

He was the first to discover that infinite procedural generation can't actually generate gameplay. Considering that people are still making that mistake today, IMO he totally deserves a pass on Spore.

(And it wasn't a terrible game, more of a victim of it's own hype.)

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm not that surprised. Hasn't he always described himself as libertarian?

Did not know that, it would seem to be at odds with his non-commercial tilt & lots of talk about education.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

This is the kind of poo poo that my inner child makes me wonder if I'm somehow missing something with crypto. Even the people that defined my childhood are running straight into the buzzsaw with this poo poo and I just cannot understand it.

Its the biggest pyramid / Ponzi scheme of all time.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Feldegast42 posted:

This is the kind of poo poo that my inner child makes me wonder if I'm somehow missing something with crypto. Even the people that defined my childhood are running straight into the buzzsaw with this poo poo and I just cannot understand it.

Its the biggest pyramid / Ponzi scheme of all time.

People that see themselves as innovators want to keep innovating even if it's something stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lammasu posted:

People that see themselves as innovators want to keep innovating even if it's something stupid.

It's this.

Peter Molyneux, Richard Garriott, Chris Roberts, Will Wright