Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Was that Ultimatum and the wave that kills half of New York City? Cause if so, yah that was dumb. They killed off DareDevil and Doctor Strange after some pretty interesting tweaks of the characters for the Ultimate Universe.

The only good thing that came out of that was, unsurprisingly, in Ultimate Spider-Man. There's an absolutely amazing sequence following JJJ as he sees Spiderman saving people over and over and over.

For all I know someone's posted those panels in another BSS thread recently. I haven't caught up on the panels threads in a few weeks. But if they haven't, it would be great to see them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ConfusedUs posted:

The only good thing that came out of that was, unsurprisingly, in Ultimate Spider-Man. There's an absolutely amazing sequence following JJJ as he sees Spiderman saving people over and over and over.

For all I know someone's posted those panels in another BSS thread recently. I haven't caught up on the panels threads in a few weeks. But if they haven't, it would be great to see them again.

Here's the main one where he admit it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

That is from the issue where he tells someone to gently caress off for trying to expose Miles, right?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

That is from the issue where he tells someone to gently caress off for trying to expose Miles, right?

It's from Ultimate Spider-Man 131. It's one of the Spider-Man tie ins to the whole event which were actually pretty good (most of the Ultimate line was Spider-Man being good and everything else being garbage). Spidey just existing after a tragedy trying to help everyone he can.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I heard good things about the weird Ultimates team after with Kitty, Jessica Drew, Cloak and Dagger and more I'm forgetting but I don't think it went anywhere.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dawgstar posted:

I heard good things about the weird Ultimates team after with Kitty, Jessica Drew, Cloak and Dagger and more I'm forgetting but I don't think it went anywhere.

Bombshell and the art for that run was…. Not great. And the story? It was worse than the art lol. Just an absolute miss on all levels. Made me glad the Ultimate universe got erased after it because god drat I was hyped for that book and then…

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 12, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

I don't think they were ever the Ultimates, just some weird Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends unofficial team. But yeah they formed and very shortly after Secret Wars happened and oops no more Ultimate universe.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They were a New Ultimates/Young Ultimates thing but yeah it suffered from all the other Miles problems where they had some cool concepts but no real idea on where they wanted to take anything so it just spins it's wheels

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Chainsaw Man - Act 2 has just started
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/titles/100037

Get hype

Infinitum posted:

Chainsaw Man - Chapter 68

In the world of Chainsaw Man there are demons based around certain things. So you can have a Chainsaw demon, or a Sword demon, etc, etc. One of the most ancient demons is the Darkness Demon, which has lent a portion of it's power to a human.

The darker it gets, the more powerful it becomes.
And it was already functionally immortal BEFORE nightfall began.

Right <- Left

So how does one even BEGIN to fight the Primordial Concept of Darkness after getting punked into a petrol station?

Simples!

A manga about fighting sick rear end demons in skeleton hell for pretty much every chapter.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Push El Burrito posted:

Maybe that should be in the "Touching and Inspiring Panels" thread?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

It has been. Multiple times.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can't decide if Thunderstrike's tiny head or War Machine's teeth are worse

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Thunderstrike kinda thicc, tho'.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
His poor rickets savaged legs

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Now those are some thunder thighs

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Half a dozen humanoid figures, and yet all the feet exist in a quantum state.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

It's like Mignola and Liefeld got Brundlefly-ed as a result of X-Force #8. I kind of love it. Who's the artist?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

funtax posted:

It's like Mignola and Liefeld got Brundlefly-ed as a result of X-Force #8. I kind of love it. Who's the artist?

I was curious too, so I looked it up. This is Tom Grindberg, also known as the guy who drew the 1996 Doom comic.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Who is Thunder Strike again?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

New Wave Jose posted:

Thor 2. Like a boring version of Beta Ray Bill

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Opopanax posted:

You take that back right now. :colbert:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Opopanax posted:

Wouldn't that make him Thor 3?

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

New Wave Jose posted:

He was a guy Thor met who got hurt and Odin saved by making him Thor's secret identity, sorta like a Captain Marvel/Rick Jones thing, and then eventually he was Thor by himself when the original was banished, and then the original came back and Odin gave Thunderstrike a mallet that gave him powers, then when he died Odin said "Yeah, you can't go to Valhalla" and just dissipated his soul.

90's Marvel!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BooDooBoo posted:

He was a guy Thor met who got hurt and Odin saved by making him Thor's secret identity, sorta like a Captain Marvel/Rick Jones thing, and then eventually he was Thor by himself when the original was banished, and then the original came back and Odin gave Thunderstrike a mallet that gave him powers, then when he died Odin said "Yeah, you can't go to Valhalla" and just dissipated his soul.

90's Marvel!

"Sorry kid, No Thors Allowed."
"You let Jane in!"
"It says no Thors. We're allowed to have one."

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gripweed posted:

Wouldn't that make him Thor 3?

Bill isn't Thor, he's Bill. Thunderstrike was actually Thor for a while

Dawgstar posted:

You take that back right now. :colbert:

No :colbert:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Admittedly I did forget that Thunderstrike's mace is named Thunderstrike which isn't as cool as Storm Breaker and might be the equivalent of a band wearing their own t-shirts.

That said I do have a lot of love for that DeFalco run where Eric pops up and takes over as Thor.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Opopanax posted:

Bill isn't Thor, he's Bill. Thunderstrike was actually Thor for a while

So he's a rip-off Jane Foster?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

cant cook creole bream posted:

At that point she was most famous for being Thor's love interest. So kind of?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Thunderstrike is just Great Value Thor

that doesn't make him bad, some of his stories were pretty fun and certainly DeFalco had a ball writing him, but there's no way around it, he's the cheap Thor that's store-branded

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maces are nowhere near as cool as hammers, and that's why he's not as cool

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Eric's most well known bit of comic history will always be the fact he was fill in Thor with major Imposter Syndrom during the Infinity Gauntlet.

It also meant he had one of the best narrative beats in the Heroes versus Thanos and the Gauntlet fight.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

The Question IRL posted:

Eric's most well known bit of comic history will always be the fact he was fill in Thor with major Imposter Syndrom during the Infinity Gauntlet.

It also meant he had one of the best narrative beats in the Heroes versus Thanos and the Gauntlet fight.

Uh, I don't recall his hands exploding while he laments "Not again..."

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Seriously though I do love it when Thanos is forced to deal with the realization that yeah you self-sabotage because you think you don't deserve a hot goth girlfriend.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

As I understand it, it's not the same. Jane's Thor is her with the powers of Thor but she's her own hero. Masterson transforms into Thor Odinson, he's not in the driver's seat.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Kalli posted:

Seriously though I do love it when Thanos is forced to deal with the realization that yeah you self-sabotage because you think you don't deserve a hot goth girlfriend.

This colours that strip where Thanos ruins the random guy's life by loving with him on his birthday every year.

Like its played for laughs that Thanos is being a dick, but he's being a dick because he refuses to confront his own problems and ruining the guy's life means that there's someone more of a gently caress up than he is.

Its actually pretty dark, now I think about it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Question IRL posted:

I remember reading IG before I knew who he was and being confused as hell when he has one line about how noone must know he isn't the real Thor and then it's never brought up again

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Opopanax posted:

I remember reading IG before I knew who he was and being confused as hell when he has one line about how noone must know he isn't the real Thor and then it's never brought up again

That's some classic 'for what the heck Thor is talking about, pick up his monthly mag! - Hard Sellin' Harris' you'd get in crossovers.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Someone post the panel where Thunderstrike uses the power of Mjolnir to take control of Living Lightning and beat seven kinds of Hela out of Gladiator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Moreau posted:

Someone post the panel where Thunderstrike uses the power of Mjolnir to take control of Living Lightning and beat seven kinds of Hela out of Gladiator

Thor #445