Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Going through the original Moon Knight series . . . this is the most 70s poo poo ever despite being put out in the early 80s. More evidence to my "there is no 80s, the first half is the 70s the second half is the 90s" thesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Ryan North's thoughts on writing the Fantastic Four, looks reassuring.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That sounds like everything I want out of an F4 series.

It sounds loving fantastic.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Before all of Marvel and DC were called superheroes, the term adventure hero was also used and the FF should really embody that.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Rhyno posted:

That sounds like everything I want out of an F4 series.

It sounds loving fantastic.

Yeah this sounds great. I saw some other comments he made comparing it to Star Trek with relatively self-contained sci-fi problem solving arcs and that sounds promising too.

I loved Squirrel Girl but didn't care for Power Pack as much, so hopefully he nails FF.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Wow Iron Cat continues to be so good. Really hoping Mackay takes over Iron Man after Cantwell.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Defenders Beyond is predictably great. I love the addition of Tigra as much as I did when Vulpes brought her into Moon Knight. Being Defenders it wouldn't even contradict her appearances!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

:discourse:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Man, Pere is so good. The light trails from the claws, ah!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I read Operation Galactic Storm. Pretty good. I thought they were gonna chicken out when they revealed the Shi'ar advisor was a Skrull, have it be all the Skrulls fault and end when they revealed the Skrulls, but they went for it. Good for them.

My main takeaway is that the Avengers are loving terrible. They constantly squabble over everything, half the team thinks they aren't good enough to be on the team and plenty of the other half isn't hiding the fact that they agree. Captain America is their nominal leader but no one gives a poo poo what he says. The West Coast team has a weird inferiority complex and the East Coast team needle them about it for no reason. Several members of the team are just openly stupid, and even the smart ones do stupid poo poo that makes things worse all the time. And Vision is the worst character in fiction. Just an awful, awful team. It's amazing they haven't gotten the earth destroyed multiple times over.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I get why the WCA are treated as something of a joke by fans but having it be a real thing in the comics is just silly and smacks of Marvel shooting itself in the foot. Heroes are needed everywhere, why would it be looked down upon to have absolutely huge population centres on the other side of the country covered by its own set of heroes? The name sucks, too. Even a basic change like Avengers West would have been better. Or maybe something with Pacific in it so that it wasn't relative to the NY team.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The WCA are not a joke. They are in fact the best. I loved them as a kid.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

We're gonna have Wonder Man, Wanda, and Vision all on the same team. This is gonna work out great.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Gripweed posted:

I read Operation Galactic Storm. Pretty good. I thought they were gonna chicken out when they revealed the Shi'ar advisor was a Skrull, have it be all the Skrulls fault and end when they revealed the Skrulls, but they went for it. Good for them.

My main takeaway is that the Avengers are loving terrible. They constantly squabble over everything, half the team thinks they aren't good enough to be on the team and plenty of the other half isn't hiding the fact that they agree. Captain America is their nominal leader but no one gives a poo poo what he says. The West Coast team has a weird inferiority complex and the East Coast team needle them about it for no reason. Several members of the team are just openly stupid, and even the smart ones do stupid poo poo that makes things worse all the time. And Vision is the worst character in fiction. Just an awful, awful team. It's amazing they haven't gotten the earth destroyed multiple times over.

Decades of inertia meaning writers must respect the status quo even though the status quo is loving terrible.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Gripweed posted:

It's basically a soap opera.

In space.

A space opera.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

X-O posted:

The WCA are not a joke. They are in fact the best. I loved them as a kid.

Me too. Also it feels silly to say it but having the comic based near where I lived was fun.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rick posted:

Me too. Also it feels silly to say it but having the comic based near where I lived was fun.

Agreed.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how someone could ruin prehistoric avengers, but goddamn do i not care about this 1 million bc avengers. I didn't even read the last mainline avengers issue when I saw it was still yet another au avenger intro.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Rick posted:

As a kid in the north woods of Michigan, even the Great Lakes Avengers were a godsend

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Soonmot posted:

I don't know how someone could ruin prehistoric avengers, but goddamn do i not care about this 1 million bc avengers. I didn't even read the last mainline avengers issue when I saw it was still yet another au avenger intro.

So, what's the deal with Thor's birth? They stick to that dumb Phoenix retcon?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

glitchwraith posted:

So, what's the deal with Thor's birth? They stick to that dumb Phoenix retcon?

Phoenix didn't want to marry Odin and that made him mad. Then Phoenix talked to Gaia and nudged her to have a kid with Odin and this chat somehow had such an effect on Gaia she said that if she and Odin had a baby, it would be as much Phoenix's as Gaia. It doesn't make sense. They did and Thor was born but Laufey attacked immediately and killed/almost killed baby Thor. Phoenix used her power to save baby Thor's life/bring him back to life.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Turns out the retcon was just misleading wording.

Odin wanted to marry the Phoenix, but she was like “If I stay too long, I’ll go Dark and destroy the world I love.” Plus, she rightfully thought he was kind of a jerk, and needed to care about humanity more. The Phoenix then convinces Gaea to give Odin a chance, telling her that their child could be a great protector of the Earth. Gaea agrees, and when Thor is born, he is attacked by the frost giants because the Avengers ruined the union of Lauffey and the Annihilation Queen from the negative zone. Thor is almost frozen to death, but the Phoenix saves him. When the Phoenix gets ready to leave Earth, Gaea tells her that her son wouldn’t exist without her, and that as far as she’s concerned, Thor has two mothers.

In conclusion: Jason Aaron baited a bunch of people into being mad on the internet, and ended up telling a pretty good story about the birth of Thor. We also get the first look at Wakandan isolationism when the first Black Panther dies. 1,000,000 BC Moon Knight gets a name drop too.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

and ended up telling a pretty good story about the birth of Thor.

did he tho

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It does feel like the first pretty good story in Aaron's Avengers would be the first.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think it’s been fun. It’s like Morrison’s JLA by way of a box of Marvel action figures.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'd argue it's the opposite of Morrison JLA, since I hate the writing but love the art

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I've been going through it from the beginning the past couple weeks and i would rate it as decently entertaining while I'm reading it but completely forgettable

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

I've been going through it from the beginning the past couple weeks and i would rate it as decently entertaining while I'm reading it but completely forgettable

it might read better in one sitting. Going through it month to month? Like, I enjoyed it up to now. This whole mephisto war where the worst thing in the universe is a red skull venom and oh yeah, we're going to gather every single legacy hero ever, but only one per issue has dragged so long and so badly.

Spiderverse was fun because we got a bunch of evocative Spiders all at once. You got the elevator pitch version of that character, with only one or two getting developed a bit more during the course of the advancing story as well as previously established AU Spideys who already had characterization and stories behind them. Here, every single issue is dedicated to this one character who we'll never see again outside of a splash page or two in the story climax and *nothing* is happening with the story.

I'm not someone who thinks that every issue/episode should advance the plot. In fact, I'm sure I've posted in the tv thread about how I actually enjoy the one and done episodes of marvel shows where the character are just doing poo poo and goofing around, or talking to each other. Where the story is developing their character instead of pushing a plot forward. Here though, I can't even enjoy the issues as a monster of the week story because the actual characters I care about are almost totally sidelined and it's been going on for months now.

I really like Aaron, his Thor run is a modern classic, but this ending bit of his Avengers run is leaving me incredibly cold.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I think the retcons over the past 5(? 10?) years about the parentage of Thor and Tony in particular are overwritten and only serve to muddle stuff about the characters, but maybe I'm just not all caught up on what makes them work.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Codependent Poster posted:

Oh man that reveal in Strange was so good. I love it when the answer is staring at you in the face all the time and when the answer is given you just smack yourself in the head because of how obvious it is, but hidden well enough to not make you know right away.

yeah, it was my favorite kind of reveal - the kind that you never saw coming but then after you see it you realize you should have

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been on record as enjoying Aaron's Avengers, but yeah it's been really slow lately, and I'm not super digging the multiverse poo poo.

Also half a dozen issues of torturing Ghost Rider in Avengers Forever was really unnecessary!

And yet I keep reading because it's jsut compelling enough that I want to.

(Haven't read this 1,000,000 issue)

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Do they ever address the fact that H sapiens didn’t even exist 1 mya or is it just vague ~caveman times~

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cavemen except for the avengers characters who are homo sapiens and notably smarter than their tribesman

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Having the main characters be H sapiens 500k years early almost bothers me more for some reason

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Internet Wizard posted:

Having the main characters be H sapiens 500k years early almost bothers me more for some reason

The fossil record of hominid evolution is very spotty and almost every new discovery causes adjustments in the timeline. Just because our current model says there were no Avengers that early, that doesn't mean there couldn't have been.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gripweed posted:

The fossil record of hominid evolution is very spotty and almost every new discovery causes adjustments in the timeline. Just because our current model says there were no Avengers that early, that doesn't mean there couldn't have been.

See, and you all made fun of the sliding timeline

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Listen, at most they should be H heidelbergensis or maybe H antecessor. I’d even stretch and say it was some H naledi that weren’t killed off in that one x-men book

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Didn’t all life in Earth 616 originate from a giant alien space god puking all over the planet? Plenty of wiggle room there when it comes to evolution compared to real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Mm. I wonder how much of this Phoenix thing was Aaron baiting anyone, and how much of it was simply him having to swerve hard on an idea that ended up catering to precisely zero people. The whole thing reeks of a hastily applied bandage, which was really gonna happen at some point whether from Aaron himself or from someone else.

In the meantime, I remain flatly unimpressed with Aaron continuing to mistake Odin for Zeus and also, like, doing it a thousand times worse with each attempt.