Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

VelociBacon posted:

How is a social ride different from a group ride OOC? People just take it a bit easier?

Slower pace, lots of stopping to let others catch up, and trailside boozing in my neck of the woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

How is a social ride different from a group ride OOC? People just take it a bit easier?

I dunno if they are different or just different words for the same thing and it's just what Torca calls it. I only recently starting getting involved. But no, people were shredding. Marvin is a brand new black trail on Eagle so it was for intermediate/advanced riders only, but still about 40 people showed up, so naturally they filtered themselves into different groups, including one that was 100% charging. We hit some different trails as well. On Marvin there are some mandatory features and people were hitting or sessioning the big optional stuff. Including a ~165 ft log ride with either a roller or optional 7ft drop by 7ft gap at the end.

I've only been to a couple socials, but for rides on lower rated trails more beginners will naturally show up, but if the group is big enough the different skill levels don't wait for each other, the organizers are just kind of around with the different groups that form. And some socials are novice/intermediate only so people will want to band together and session stuff anyway.

The TORCA social rides I've been to are hosted by one of the local bike shops so there's food, prizes, drinks, etc after. Dunno if they're all like that, I'll let you know at the end of the season ;)

The trail that Mashed and I helped with on the trail building day is Green Bastard on Burke mt, which is confusingly named, as it's a blue. It is extremely fun with some great features.

Edited for clarity.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 12, 2022

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

You can’t get a snakebite puncture on a tubeless setup

Sorry, I guess it's just a sparkling white snakebite (I just meant a small hole in the tire).

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

stratdax posted:

Hey, I was there too. I worked on some lower sections and on the massive gap / roller. I missed the social ride though unfortunately, so I went back to do a couple laps of the trail a week later. Great trail, so much fun. Were you at the Marvin social ride on Eagle a couple days ago?

Lol it's a small world. I haven't actually gone for a ride since, just been so busy this summer :negative: I was going to go to the Marvin opening social but got bogged down at work. Definitely keen to go and check that trail out it looks like some amazing work.

Torca seems to be doing a lot of good things as a trail association and their arrangement at Eagle is really paying dividends now. Hopefully they manage to get similar at Burke.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Speaking of tubeless, I’m on my first set. I was out a couple days ago and needed to add a few pounds to my rear. When I started pumping a small amount of sealant started bubbling out where the stem meets the rim. It stopped eventually and the tire seems to hold air fine. Is that anything i need to worry about?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Have you ever added more sealant? Mine start to weep if they've going dry.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

No, I haven’t. My shop did the work earlier this season.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard

ought ten posted:

Speaking of tubeless, I’m on my first set. I was out a couple days ago and needed to add a few pounds to my rear. When I started pumping a small amount of sealant started bubbling out where the stem meets the rim. It stopped eventually and the tire seems to hold air fine. Is that anything i need to worry about?

You can just try tightening up the nut holding the stem a bit, otherwise if it stopped it sounds like the sealant is doing it's job alright. Keep an eye on it, but I'm sure you're fine.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah on my new wheels I had to tighten the nut on both. Now no problems. Also you should sealent refresh in the middle of the season as well as at the start

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Thanks you two.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Rapha has a sale on, I've got a few of their MTB jerseys and really like them. Good fit, they include repair patches in matching fabric and have a free repair program for damage that you can't patch at home: https://www.rapha.cc/ca/en/sale/category/sale?q=gender:Mens&. Ctl + F for "trail" to find the MTB stuff.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

mashed posted:

Lol it's a small world. I haven't actually gone for a ride since, just been so busy this summer :negative: I was going to go to the Marvin opening social but got bogged down at work. Definitely keen to go and check that trail out it looks like some amazing work.

Torca seems to be doing a lot of good things as a trail association and their arrangement at Eagle is really paying dividends now. Hopefully they manage to get similar at Burke.

Yeah as I say I just started getting involved but from what I've seen they are doing some great work. Developing Eagle now makes sense before the bulldozers start rolling at Burke.

I just rode Marvin again this afternoon with a buddy who hadn't yet. It's so much fun.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

One up composite pedals are on sale for $40 USD right now.

Had a real good OTB today. I was told I looked graceful in my crash. Just glad the bike didn't land on me.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ouch. I don't look graceful even when I'm not crashing so you've got that at least.

Speaking of pedals, I finally found some wah wah 2's in orange and put them on. The look huge but hopefully don't hurt my feet like my knock off Chester's were. Thanks for the rec, thread. They don't quite match the pnw orange (of course) but oh well.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 15, 2022

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I just upgraded from chesters to the large wah wahs and I really like having the larger platform. It’s easy to get my feet back in a good position without really thinking about it.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Anyone know what seat this guy is using on his bike?

From cursed images thread

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

You can’t get a snakebite puncture on a tubeless setup

I got two of them last week during the same ride. I couldn’t plug the second one and it took me and two friends 45 minutes to get the tire off to put in a tube.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Are you all running tyres made out of tissue paper or something???

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Aphex- posted:

One of the ones I've gotten was on a vittoria mezcal, so, yeah kinda. The other was an Assegai with EXO+ casing, so that not as much. It's not common, and of course tubeless is a no-brainer, but it sure doesn't actually eliminate pinch flats if you're whacking your wheel into sharp rocks with speed and regularity.

It's one of the reasons I just got cushcore, and also presumably one of the reasons they advertise this on their packaging:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I have inserts in my gravel wheels and also the rear of my mtb. Seems like good additions so far. Helps keep my fancy wheels from banging into rocks and makes it harder to get a flat. I've run my gravel wheels into some things way harder than I'd like and have come out unscathed. A few of them I even stopped and checked out the tire expecting a cut. Going to try them with tubeless cx tires this year, and I hear they're even becoming popular in pro road racing.

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 16, 2022

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Aphex- posted:

It was my first tear in a tire in 5 years, so... No? I was trying to say how awesome the self-sealing ability of a tubeless setup can be, which was a new experience to me.

I already had my bail out planned, and instead got to finish. Tubes are fine, but heavy. But I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir on this.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Steve French posted:

One of the ones I've gotten was on a vittoria mezcal, so, yeah kinda. The other was an Assegai with EXO+ casing, so that not as much. It's not common, and of course tubeless is a no-brainer, but it sure doesn't actually eliminate pinch flats if you're whacking your wheel into sharp rocks with speed and regularity.

It's one of the reasons I just got cushcore

Nocheez posted:

It was my first tear in a tire in 5 years, so... No? I was trying to say how awesome the self-sealing ability of a tubeless setup can be, which was a new experience to me.

I already had my bail out planned, and instead got to finish. Tubes are fine, but heavy. But I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir on this.

Yeah that's all fair! I'm lucky I haven't had any flats in 4 years of riding. I run Schwalbe super grav and super trail casing front and rear at like 20psi doing fairly rough trails and they've been amazing.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Went out of town and rode on some new trails this weekend. It tends to be hard for me to actually go somewhere and ride but I went over to great falls to hang out with a friend. On the way over I stopped and rode some newish trails outside of Lincoln. They're kind of in the middle of nowhere but also near the gdmbr. Loop was like 9-10mi and built by our local trail group and had some kind of bike specific features and bermed corners. I was also expecting to run into a grizzly bear and felt dumb being up there alone. But at least had a bell and bear spray and played music out of my phone speaker and it was a hot afternoon so the only thing I actually saw was a family of grouse that were in the trail and I had to stop for.

A few trees down and sticks and debris all over the trail so it clearly doesn't get much use. But it's near a campground and there are some other roads and trails in the area so it might be neat to go stay there sometime and explore a bit. There's also the continental divide trail nearby plus some stuff around seeley lake and on the edge of the bob marshall wilderness.

So then I got to great falls and got a quick ride in saturday evening on their river trails. They actually have quite a bit of stuff and some pretty difficult and scary trails. You have to make all these slow speed tech moves with like a straight drop off on one side and there's this skinny bridge across a big gap and all sorts of stuff like that.

Also there are some dams

Sunday I went to Helena and rode and camped. Been there before but got on a few new things. did not take very many pictures. I think this is the top of mt Ascension, there were some fun trails down it including one where you're riding over all these rock slabs and drops. Two decent rides in sunday afternoon and yesterday morning, also annoyance at trying to eat dinner sunday night.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Aphex- posted:

Yeah for real, my tire kill count over the past five years is:
- 1 Maxxis Rekon+ (tubeless) vs right angle metal storm drain cover, hit that hard enough to bend the rim
- daughter pinch flatted a couple random 29ers

To be honest though I'm pretty impressed with how durable the Rekon+ EXOs are. They've been taken to downhill parks and subjected to all kinds of rocks and roots and are still going strong. Oh and that rim I bent? I heated it up and bent it back into shape and still have it as a backup wheel set. I should probably look at putting an insert in my back tire if I continue to visit the downhill parks, but that's kind of a once or twice a year thing and as a nearly middle-aged male should probably not be doing the jump lines anymore. :v:

Speaking of wheels and tires I lucked into a set of 27.5 non-boost wheels for my daughter's bike. She has a 2015 Troy XP with 15x100mm and 12x142mm axles and I had pretty much given up hope to find used wheels for it, but a fellow NICA coach sold me a set with practically brand new Hans Dampfs and they're set up tubeless! I'm happy and she's going to be really happy with the reduced rotational mass.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

jamal posted:

I have inserts in my gravel wheels and also the rear of my mtb. Seems like good additions so far. Helps keep my fancy wheels from banging into rocks and makes it harder to get a flat. I've run my gravel wheels into some things way harder than I'd like and have come out unscathed. A few of them I even stopped and checked out the tire expecting a cut. Going to try them with tubeless cx tires this year, and I hear they're even becoming popular in pro road racing.

So when you get a flat you can't plug and have to put a tube in, what do you do with the sealant-covered insert?

Honestly I really don't understand tubeless. The only flats I get are on the road from glass/etc so I'm sure it would save me from a few tube swaps but it takes 5 min and I don't have to gently caress around with anything. Never flatted off-road w tubes (now guaranteed to ruin that streak lol).

Is it really just for people who are charging downhill on crazy rocky stuff?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

It's really nice to get tire pressures down to the mid-20's (or lower if you're lighter). I have to keep tubes at 30+ psi if I want to charge crazy rocky stuff.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

amenenema posted:

So when you get a flat you can't plug and have to put a tube in, what do you do with the sealant-covered insert?
You wear it or fold it up and strap it to something. Not a terribly common occurrence. I’ve only had to do it once, and that wasn’t a flat; I cracked a wheel and had to put a tube in.

quote:

Honestly I really don't understand tubeless. The only flats I get are on the road from glass/etc so I'm sure it would save me from a few tube swaps but it takes 5 min and I don't have to gently caress around with anything. Never flatted off-road w tubes (now guaranteed to ruin that streak lol).

Is it really just for people who are charging downhill on crazy rocky stuff?
Nope. It’s for almost everyone. There are limited use cases where I agree it doesn’t make sense, but those are getting less and less common. If you ride off road regularly it’s kind of a no brainer if you’ve already got compatible tires and rims. I can understand being hesitant about the initial investment if you don’t have those. I even started running my road bike tubeless five years ago and wouldn’t go back.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My hardtail came with tubes in 2020, it was tubeless ready just needed sealant and stems, i figured i'd trail ride until i got a puncture and switch. Only took 3 weeks to not see the thorn bush branch i rolled over. Tubeless now, my tires are a weepy mess but they hold for a day of riding only losing 1psi or so.

Orange seal extreme, good stuff.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah seriously cannot recommend tubeless enough. That, droppers, and 1x are like the best thing to happen to modern MTBs

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Eejit posted:

Yeah seriously cannot recommend tubeless enough. That, droppers, and 1x are like the best thing to happen to modern MTBs

Also hydraulic disk brakes.

I rode a rim brake mtb to try out for my mom and I thought I was going to die.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

amenenema posted:

Depends on the shape of the insert, but you could just wedge a tube in there with the insert in place
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZwsZqyP6vw
I'm getting stigmata from 1:11, remembering how I couldn't break the bead when I tried to put half my weight through my hand onto a tire lever pushing against the sidewall.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Biggest reason to not to tubeless is if you have too many bikes. Can be really annoying remembering how long ago you topped up, and cursing the inevitable flat that doesn't seal when you thought you were okay.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Does anyone have opinions on swing out hitch arms for bike racks? e.g. Kuat Pivot, RakAttach or whatever Thule/Yakima offer.

I've got a 1up double and in like 10 years I'll have to install my two add-ons for the kids.

Since I've got car seats in the back, the dog has to stay in the cargo space and tilting the bikes (or even the empty rack) out of the way so I can get the dog out is annoying enough that I think I want to be able to swing it.

I'm space limited in the apartment and no garage so leaving the rack attached in the summer makes it way easier to load the bikes and go.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Biggest reason not to go tubeless is if you have to store your bikes indoors in a carpeted apartment :v:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Eejit posted:

1: narrow-wide chainrings
2: clutched rear derailleurs
3: dropped posts
4: longer/slacker geo

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
0. Loud colors

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bicievino posted:

Biggest reason to not to tubeless is if you have too many bikes. Can be really annoying remembering how long ago you topped up, and cursing the inevitable flat that doesn't seal when you thought you were okay.

We need a SealantWiz

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

1: narrow-wide chainrings
2: clutched rear derailleurs
3: dropped posts
4: longer/slacker geo

For me #2 is the biggest quality of life difference compared to an old bike.

You can manually drop an old style post, you can ride around flighty geometry and smaller wheels, 2x or 3x gearing is a pain but not the end of the world.

But having a simple solution to a problem that is otherwise either unsolved or involves extra pulleys and poo poo is incredible.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Mr Newsman posted:

Does anyone have opinions on swing out hitch arms for bike racks? e.g. Kuat Pivot, RakAttach or whatever Thule/Yakima offer.

Just got an email about the RakAttach2.0. maybe see if you can get 1.0 on discount (lol 1up discount).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

deong posted:

Just got an email about the RakAttach2.0. maybe see if you can get 1.0 on discount (lol 1up discount).

Haha I just saw that. I ended up ordering the Pivot this am. Most reviews were pretty happy with it.