Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I wonder what's going to be in store for 4.0 when that eventually comes out. I played a lot around launch and then some more when Origins/3.0 came out, it's been in the back of my mind but I'm looking forward to all the content piling up to come back to. I'd love a nice shakeup of the cave generation/contents at some point.

I always had fun going back and looking at old screenshots when I was playing around with terrain generation mods, some of these were a lot of fun to explore around in.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's a fun little "ha ha I don't need to land and scan for a mission target" when you spot it nearby, but god drat if it's not irritating when you're sent to one of those extreme mountain planets

that said it's always good for a giggle when it's an expedition rendezvous and you're slowly gliding around looking for something suspect and all of a sudden a planetary archive tall enough to technically be outside the atmosphere snaps into view

If I get assigned an extreme mountain planet for a mission I drop it right away. Not worth the pain of navigating that unless it's for funsies

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

If I get assigned an extreme mountain planet for a mission I drop it right away. Not worth the pain of navigating that unless it's for funsies

I agree; my wife did her first nexus mission on one f those, and the objective was halfway up an extremely steep and tall mountain. The pilot of a downed ship was actually INSIDE the loving thing. :argh:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I intentionally grabbed a colored one originally so I could recolor it, but now it seems like colors aren't applying to the bridge/dock area....?

This has always been a thing since I got a freighter in like February or whatever, it's not part of the patch.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
saw something about giving stews to cronus for easy nanites so i made a big stack of them since i already had all of the necessary ingredients but lol turns out you have to turn them in one at a time!

gently caress that!

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Easiest nanites for me is killing sentinels, getting sentinel glass, extracting the sentinel ? mods, and selling the ? mods for nanites to the mod vendor on outlaw stations. Stack it with a couple of sentinel kill merc bounties and you can make thousands of nanites very quickly.

This works with killing pirates too, and selling the X mods to the same guy for nanites.

The outlaw station vendor is the only one I’ve found who will actually pay you in nanites rather than units.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I just keep a few runaway mold farms, myself.

Granted, that was a lot more reliable when refiners weren't regularly making GBS threads the bed.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

ephori posted:

The outlaw station vendor is the only one I’ve found who will actually pay you in nanites rather than units.

All of the upgrade vendors (ie: multitool, ship, exocraft etc.) on non-outlaw stations will also purchase mods for nanites; I don't even think there's a way to sell them for credits using regular trade interfaces.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Omg I just discovered the proper way of fitting modules on ships and tools. :aaaaa:

I never knew I could have 3 S/X mods +base in the main inventory and in the tech tab.
:psylon:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

the panacea posted:

Omg I just discovered the proper way of fitting modules on ships and tools. :aaaaa:

I never knew I could have 3 S/X mods +base in the main inventory and in the tech tab.
:psylon:

Ngl, the specific placement 'minigame', for lack of a better term, for tech is something I absolutely love. Gives the game a tiny bit of flavour and personality in an area where there otherwise wouldn't be any.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

They should double the power of upgrade modules and only allow you to place them in the "tech" slots though. My ship's main inventory is like 70% modules.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

They should double the power of upgrade modules and only allow you to place them in the "tech" slots though. My ship's main inventory is like 70% modules.

use less modules

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

use less modules

Like only 40% of one?

E: So not to come across as just a prick about grammar, I'm only using ones that affect hyperdrive, pulse drive, landing gear and photon cannon, that's it. I could fill every slot if I wanted more weapons on my ship.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

3 posted:

All of the upgrade vendors (ie: multitool, ship, exocraft etc.) on non-outlaw stations will also purchase mods for nanites; I don't even think there's a way to sell them for credits using regular trade interfaces.

What!! For some reason I never realized this.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
If you've got cash lying around, traveling between pirate stations and buying all the suspicious technology and weapons packets from the outlaw vendor is a pretty simple source of nanites too - probably one of the most straightforward "convert units directly to nanites" things you can do, really.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just fyi, if you're switching freighters, there seems to be a bug right now that causes you to lose your current freighter base upon switching, but there's a workaround.

Normally when you switch, there should be a pop-up asking if you want to transfer your freighter base over but for some reason it doesn't appear unless you have something, anything in your current freighter's inventory/cargo (NOT expanded storage, that doesn't matter and won't be affected). So leave just one element or whatever in there you're willing to lose before you switch. That should cause a pop-up to appear that warns you about losing your current freighter inventory and THEN the base transfer pop-up should appear as normal.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Any tips for finding storm crystals in the last expedition? I want to finish that one soon, but I'm stuck because getting storm crystals for the singularity drive and killing pirates are literally the only things left and for some reason, after passing one planet early one with extreme weather I never found another.

Am I just hosed? I guess I could methodically warp back going from station to station until I stumble into the lonely storm planet again, but that's a lot of busy work. Is there no way to find new storm planets faster?

Also just in case, I'm playing on PS4 and don't have PS+, so multiplayer-sharing or save editing are straight out as options.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Libluini posted:

Any tips for finding storm crystals in the last expedition? I want to finish that one soon, but I'm stuck because getting storm crystals for the singularity drive and killing pirates are literally the only things left and for some reason, after passing one planet early one with extreme weather I never found another.

Am I just hosed? I guess I could methodically warp back going from station to station until I stumble into the lonely storm planet again, but that's a lot of busy work. Is there no way to find new storm planets faster?

Also just in case, I'm playing on PS4 and don't have PS+, so multiplayer-sharing or save editing are straight out as options.

I'm pretty sure that one of the planets in the final waypoint system has extreme weather, I don't remember having to change systems to find them.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Libluini posted:

Look for planets with Activated Copper/Cadmium/Emeril/Indium from your frigate's system scanner; if no planet has it then move on to the next system.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Libluini posted:

I had the same issue, there was a planet in the final rendezvous but it never spawned crystals for me, but there is a system very closeby that has some, ofc I don't remember the name.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just want to say that the Anomaly might be my favourite place in any videogame ever.

Due to, in no small part, the wonderfully chill music that plays during every visit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1TTPgfONCA

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1560572318123847681?t=TNAMrLMCIw4Y9NdIbO32DA&s=19

That patch number excites me. It really drives home how far the game has come and how close we are to 4.0

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1560572318123847681?t=TNAMrLMCIw4Y9NdIbO32DA&s=19

That patch number excites me. It really drives home how far the game has come and how close we are to 4.0

Same, but it's weird how, before 3.99, all bug fix patches were incrementing the 2nd place to the right of the decimal (Endurance was something like 3.94 to 3.99, as they patched it), but then they ran up against 4.0, so they added another decimal.

Why not just do that from the beginning? :iiam:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Same, but it's weird how, before 3.99, all bug fix patches were incrementing the 2nd place to the right of the decimal (Endurance was something like 3.94 to 3.99, as they patched it), but then they ran up against 4.0, so they added another decimal.

https://youtu.be/umjFkY9uAdo

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

should have gone for 3.100 imo

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Libluini posted:

Some quests on the anomaly and some missions from the mission man on each space station reward you with them. They pop out of some crystal fragments you get from mining crystals such as dihydrogen

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

There was a 3.64.1 and a 2.61.1 and also, amusingly, patches 2.06B through 2.06G

you go, patch naming guy, don't let conventions hold you back

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Look for planets with Activated Copper/Cadmium/Emeril/Indium from your frigate's system scanner; if no planet has it then move on to the next system.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing because gently caress remembering which of the 20-30 systems behind me had the story planet with extreme weather.

Cadmium/Emeril/Indium kind of don't work since the freighter-upgrades allowing me indo Cadmium-systems actually need Cadmium, so that's not gonna work. :v:

I've been concentrating on Activated Copper but found literally not a single planet with Activated Cadmium in something like 20+ jumps. Kind of infuriatingly bad luck! Then I had to stop for health reasons for awhile. I'll probably re-try the old grind next week. Maybe I'll just break down and warp from station to station instead until I re-discover the old storm planet.

gently caress, now that I'm typing this, the storm planet must be in one of like, half a dozen systems from the start, since the expedition space is kind of compact. Welp, gently caress long pointless searches then, next week I'm just going back to the expedition systems and take another look! :shepface:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Look through your discoveries, since the expedition systems have already been discovered by others you should see any planet with Activated Copper on it from there. That's how I did it.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its the way patches have always been named, no?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

like 3.0 was origins, a major change

3.1 was NEXT
3.2 was Companions
3.3 was Expeditions
3.9 was Endurance, and it's had more than 9 bug fix patches, so its on to the next decimal place

and 4.0 will be another major change. but you could go from 2.6 to 3.0. Which they did, 2.6 was Desolation, and origins was the following update, 3.0.

And also nothing says that 4.0 will be the next big patch, but then naming gets tricky I guess

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
I've finally found the perfect water world and I really want to build a cool underwater base from which to nautilon all over the sea floor but I don't even know where to start. What's essential, what can I skip, how do I power the loving thing underwater, etc?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

GHOST_BUTT posted:

I've finally found the perfect water world and I really want to build a cool underwater base from which to nautilon all over the sea floor but I don't even know where to start. What's essential, what can I skip, how do I power the loving thing underwater, etc?

Solar panels work underwater! Don't question it just enjoy it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Antonymous posted:

its the way patches have always been named, no?

Usually, though I could have this wrong, it goes.

A.B.C

Whereas: A = Primary version number, for the massive changes. B = patches to fix up or maybe add a few things here or there. C = minor bug fixes for things that broke during patching.

Anyway, they can do whatever they want, it's fine, I just thought it was weird that they just now brought in the 2nd decimal place out of nowhere, because they ran out of room.

This update should technically be 3.9.10, if they'd gone with the traditional version numbering.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GHOST_BUTT posted:

a) collect tons of frost crystals to make glass from, we're talking obscene amounts here
b) collect a lot of pearls, hope you like playing around with clams
c) I think some UW-stuff also needs that weird glowy stuff from thermal vents? Make sure to read the cues so you don't get boiled (It's sulphuric-something, I think)

It's kind of funny, but if you build underwater bases, you will never have enough pearls and glass. My first big UW-base had middle elements replaced with just glass tubes as that used up less materials than the "conventional" big UW-buildings.

If there was an economy type that caused NPCs to sell UW-materials, I'd literally never leave until I had 9k of everything (well, except glass, that's easy enough to get)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

GHOST_BUTT posted:

The vertical glass tubes connect to very few things. Basically only cubes. And if you connect to anything that goes out of water, you'll end up with water in your base, which doesn't do anything negative but sometimes fish spawn in your base which is cool. Moon pools are cool but you either need to dig under (not a great idea since terrain mods are temporary) or build a stack of underground buildings and then delete the bottom ones and put the door there since there's really not a way to set the height of your building (I think that's what foundations are supposed to do but they don't work). Nowadays most underwater planets have plants you can grab for oxygen but you still need to have a pretty decent underwater system if your power source and mining area (assuming you need one) are also underwater.

Other than that's it's just a normal base.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I'm trying to find another living frigate, I've found my first one. I'm using anomaly detectors to try to find them but I've gone through all 14 I had and not one? Am I doing something wrong or does it just take a lot?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Use one and don't stop until you hear whalesong.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Prepare for No Man's Fall

https://twitter.com/alexcas_io/status/1561455385919508480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I wish there was some sort of in-universe mini game, like space cards or something. You know how FalloutNV has caravan, KotoR has... was is Pazack? Anyway, some sort of card or table game that you can play either with NPCs or with other real people. Even something you could bet some nanites on.