Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

(random weird waiting for release thought: which faction has the best lawyers, you think? seems p correlated w good arty, i could make good cases for empire dawi and skaven)

obviously lizards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I mostly think minor settlements are fun, the only thing I hate about them is the towers, so gonna mod those out and if I get sick of doing too many then I'll get the mod that makes the enemy sally out of a land battle 50% of the time. Easy.

I wish they went the historical TW route of existing towers on each map that can be destroyed or captured rather than this bizarre resource and deployable system they have. Other than that I find myself enjoying the minor settlement maps.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The tower balance is hilarious because some factions have lovely garbage towers that barely do anything(Slaanesh) and some factions have towers that can kill the entire enemy army effortlessly(Nurgle). There's no indicator of how good your faction's towers are besides trial and error, and frequently there's a gigantic performance gap between tower levels that is not intuitive or communicated to the player in any meaningful way. Tier 2 nurgle towers dramatically outperform tier 3 ones, for example.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Kanos posted:

The tower balance is hilarious because some factions have lovely garbage towers that barely do anything(Slaanesh) and some factions have towers that can kill the entire enemy army effortlessly(Nurgle). There's no indicator of how good your faction's towers are besides trial and error, and frequently there's a gigantic performance gap between tower levels that is not intuitive or communicated to the player in any meaningful way. Tier 2 nurgle towers dramatically outperform tier 3 ones, for example.

Yeah watch these videos most towers are garbage and you only one tier 1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxGiF9O8qZk

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
I had heard complaints about moving troops through narrow areas in the new settlement battles but then after buying tw2 while waiting for IE, the settlement battles seemed just as difficult to micro if not worse, specifically jamming my dudes through the hole in the wall

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
In twh 2 you could often win by just smashing the enemies at the wall and they'd break so the issue wasn't as obvious. Now you want to practice some defense in depth or multi prong deep attacks you run into the problem a lot more.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Carcer posted:

In twh 2 you could often win by just smashing the enemies at the wall and they'd break so the issue wasn't as obvious. Now you want to practice some defense in depth or multi prong deep attacks you run into the problem a lot more.

Yeah, game 2 you'd get mobbed the moment you're over the wall. They'd hold back artillery and like 1 cav unit on the main point and they would just put all their effort into logjamming you right at the gate and by the time you broke past that it was army losses.

Game 3 on the other hand seems like they are way better at defending in depth and reallocation based on where you are pushing. That plus the multiple control points that they can't defend all of means I've had way better success in attacking cities and such going wide in game 3 because you can sneak some fast attackers in on the flank and back cap and commit the ai to spend resources on you away from the main front.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Muscle Tracer posted:

Minor settlements are the poo poo. I love to have some geography and points of interest to maneuver around. It rocks and I am glad they are in the game, can't wait to see all the new faction's minor maps.

:emptyquote:

That said I'd appreciate if t1 or t2 non-capital settlements were just field battles.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I’m a little puzzled by Settra and Malekith gaining bonus allegiance points with their own race. Seems kinda…useless? The hell do I need allied units from my own faction for.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

TW modders are something else

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

I’m a little puzzled by Settra and Malekith gaining bonus allegiance points with their own race. Seems kinda…useless? The hell do I need allied units from my own faction for.

Quicker access to higher tier units, since the AI grows considerably faster than the player. Also sometimes you need the unit but don't have the cash to recruit it.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I can see it making doomstacks for the tomb kings easier, especially if you don't have the requisite building in your lands. On vh/leg I often find myself scraping together whatever army I can afford asap, allied units included.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Allegiance points with your own kind are useful for war co-ordination or requesting control of allied armies more so than for recruitment.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

It's this:

John Charity Spring posted:

Allegiance points with your own kind are useful for war co-ordination or requesting control of allied armies more so than for recruitment.

Being able to take control of an allied army can be useful. There are times when you want the AI to do something and they aren't doing it. With enough points you can just take control of their army for a while and get them to do exactly what you want.

Also, allied units can be recruited from an encamped stance. It's faster and cheaper than global recruitment and will allow you to replenish troops that will benefit from your red line buffs if you're far from your recruitment areas.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 17, 2022

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the dwarves would probably be pretty meticulous lawyers since they have such an emphasis on record keeping. the vampirates have thousands of years of combined knowledge of maritime law. the dark elves probably do a lot of contracts for slavery, both the regular and the sexy roleplay kind.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sorta imagine they dont do consensual nonconsent, its just... nonconsent

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I haven't done much with allied armies. If you take a settlement with one, does that settlement become yours, or the ally's?

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Only one place to go for your tree law needs imho

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Muscle Tracer posted:

I haven't done much with allied armies. If you take a settlement with one, does that settlement become yours, or the ally's?

It becomes theirs, but without any sort of campaign special mechanics like skaven pumping food into a settlement. It's incredibly useful for this. If your allies won't expand correctly, etc you can help push them along on that journey. I used it to help them clean up rifts in the busy work campaign.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Twigand Berries posted:

It becomes theirs, but without any sort of campaign special mechanics like skaven pumping food into a settlement. It's incredibly useful for this. If your allies won't expand correctly, etc you can help push them along on that journey. I used it to help them clean up rifts in the busy work campaign.

OK hell yes. A way more thematic and flexible way to help my allies than just nabbing cities and gifting them later.

Oh and this also reminds me. I assume the answer is 'no,' but is there a way to resurrect an eliminated faction? I thought there was but I think I'm actually remembering a mechanic from Civ.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i wonder if the empire has civil or common law

args for common: gdubs in britland

args for civil: its a sendup of the holy roman empire, complete w bickering elector counts

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

sorta imagine they dont do consensual nonconsent, its just... nonconsent

the nobles must do something fun when they're consummating a political marriage with another noble. unless they like live lives of boundless depravity then on their wedding night just do like basic missionary with the candles off

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the dwarves would probably be pretty meticulous lawyers since they have such an emphasis on record keeping. the vampirates have thousands of years of combined knowledge of maritime law. the dark elves probably do a lot of contracts for slavery, both the regular and the sexy roleplay kind.

The Vampirates on the other hand probably think that everything should be run under maritime law and have weird fetishes about gold fringes on flags.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the nobles must do something fun when they're consummating a political marriage with another noble. unless they like live lives of boundless depravity then on their wedding night just do like basic missionary with the candles off

im thinking the fantasy version of that one warhammer 40k novel where theres two knight houses in one planet and any claimant to the throne has to be from both houses at once and they hate each other so all intercourse is banned and conception happens in artificial wombs

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
assassinorum: kingmaker, that was it

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

OK hell yes. A way more thematic and flexible way to help my allies than just nabbing cities and gifting them later.

Oh and this also reminds me. I assume the answer is 'no,' but is there a way to resurrect an eliminated faction? I thought there was but I think I'm actually remembering a mechanic from Civ.

I believe in TWH2 you could do this by causing a revolt in their starting province, and in that case the rebel army would be their faction (and I think have the LL as the rebel general). I haven't tried it in 3

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
In some games you used to be able to settle a ruin and one of the options was "restore faction" - but I'm not sure if that was one of the WH games.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

i wonder if the empire has civil or common law

args for common: gdubs in britland

args for civil: its a sendup of the holy roman empire, complete w bickering elector counts

Civil clusterfuck.

(Source: Sigmar's Heirs from WFRP 2E)

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Sort of a special case, but I believe the Warriors of Chaos had (have?) an option to "Awaken Tribe" if you conquor the traditional home province of a Norscan faction that has already been eliminated, giving them the city and vassalizing them.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

That dwarf odd law rules

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I immediately replied SUMMON THE ELECTOR COUNTS

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ZearothK posted:

Civil clusterfuck.

if there's precedent books, doesnt that mean that they do stare decisis? so wouldnt it be variegated like the us is with louisiana?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

if there's precedent books, doesnt that mean that they do stare decisis? so wouldnt it be variegated like the us is with louisiana?

I dunno, man. It's a mess.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ZearothK posted:

Civil clusterfuck.

The 2nd ed supplements were so good. The bestiary one is a goat

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Has anyone done the work on reviving LLs in IE? Curious if the new corruption mechanics change anything. Also, specifically, with Grom permanently moved to Massif Orcal, will a revolt there bring him back?

Rushing west to confederate him (and probably get in an eternal hellwar with the elves) was 'fun' but moving Skarsnik and Grimgor east certainly makes it harder.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

Minor settlements are the poo poo. I love to have some geography and points of interest to maneuver around. It rocks and I am glad they are in the game, can't wait to see all the new faction's minor maps.

i'm glad someone said it, minor settlement battles rock. some of the new ones look great

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Muscle Tracer posted:

:yeah:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I prefer field battles, but I am also a minor settlement enjoyer

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I was iffy on minor settlements initially when I tried my first kislev campaign but grew to like them a lot more when I switched over to Skarbrand. Aside from my above complaints about the towers I like them pretty well now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
I'd much prefer minor settlements if they were rarer, but in campaigns I often find myself blitzing from settlement to settlement after breaking a main army, and they're just slower paced and attrition heavy. The terrain by design kills maneuvering and makes shooting awkward, and the AI loves to stack up in a couple central areas, which leads to lots of slow, grindy blobfights at chokepoints. They're not fundamentally terrible, but because they're so frequent, I feel like they encourage me, as a player, to make armies that are better as big boring blobs. I'd be real happy if the breakdown of fights over a campaign was like 70% field 30% other, but W3 has felt like the opposite.