Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hattie Masters posted:

We talk a lot about favourite comics and what we love about them, but what are people's Least Favourites? Which ones do you wish were scoured from the face of the earth?

I definitely wouldn't say hate, but I genuinely cannot bring myself to read any comic that might even hint at being wordy. You get about a full sentence, 10-15 words, per panel or you lose me.

I will read absolutely any garbage in the thread, so long as it reads fast. But what is probably the best comic in the thread (Val) I just can't latch onto for longer than a day or so. I don't know if I've ever actually made it to the end of a Sally Forth.

e: for example

Tiggum posted:

If anyone says anything other than 9 Chickweed Lane, there's something wrong with them.

I read 9CL every day. Objectively the worst thing ever posted here, but most days it read fast so down the hatch it went.

e2: read as in past tense. I certainly didn't seek it out after it got thread-banned.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Tiggum posted:

If anyone says anything other than 9 Chickweed Lane, there's something wrong with them.

I dunno man Safe Havens tries real hard

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

what happened to whoever was posting overboard from the beginning? I really want to see when the sickness set in

Does she? In high school her friends were Bernice and Gunther who were both huge losers and now gunther has a girlfriend and hangs out with tiffany

shes cursed to wander the earth with bernice as her only companion

I guess Ox too but he's nice to everyone

there was also delta, the name of who i'm sad to realize i remember, who was immediately sent to the shadow realm when the characters went to college

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I dunno, there's a lot of things I just fly by and don't bother to read. The things I think I actively wish didn't exist got thread-banned (9CL, Dilbert), and the rest of things are just bad that I ignore or bad in a fun hate-read kind of way.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Tiggum posted:

Pretend I went though the effort and suffering to find an Oh Baby panel.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

Definitely Tillicum.

Good chance that at some point Boltar will go full berserkergang, possibly under order of his wife.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

what happened to whoever was posting overboard from the beginning? I really want to see when the sickness set in
I was posting it for a while but stopped after it was obvious it was mostly doing the same handful of jokes over and over, just different ones from now. (and, to be fair, usually funnier)

I think at one point I skimmed ahead to see when it started turning into the same vibe as modern overboard and it took several years.

Hattie Masters posted:

I asked this a couple years ago now, but I am interested to see how things have changed:

We talk a lot about favourite comics and what we love about them, but what are people's Least Favourites? Which ones do you wish were scoured from the face of the earth?

Personally, I despise everything that has ever come out of the pen of Holbrook. Every time I read one of his insipid, stupid comics I wish the man would lose his hands in a tragic woodchipper accident. I also hate Overboard, but that's because of a violent allergy to Twee.

EDIT:

okay yeah that's true but it's not posted here any more so I had blissfully forgotten about it until you reminded me, you bastard
Out of the comics that get posted in-thread nowadays? Luann. No contest. It's so insipid.

I can't even put Holbrook that high because my eyes instinctively slide off his comics and Luann doesn't give me that mercy.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That awful Bill comic is offensive to my eyes.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (October 29, 1934)

Peanuts (August 20, 1975)

A Series Of Curses Said Under My Breath While I'm Reading "Funky Winkerbean"

On the one hand, this is a borderline retcon. On the other hand, are we erasing Les Moore from the timeline? Because I could totally get behind that.

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff gets the stereotyping shame curtain, because whoever is curating this random collection of old strips stopped paying attention.

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (March 18, 1939)

Out Our Way (August 10-12, 1939)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "404 - Jucika And The Ceremonious Announcement Of Results"

"405 -Jucika And The Rush Hour Interview"

:owned: Still love this dude, ridiculous power and energy.

Powered Descent posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 09, 2000)

I love Arlo so much. :allears:

quote:

Safe Havens

Ah, the one torment hellworld was lacking. :shrek:

So this is just unironic hellish torture. :v:

Payndz posted:

I very nearly had a gig as a daily cartoonist for the London newspaper Metro (they commissioned me before it launched in 1999, but about a week before the first issue they changed their minds and dropped me - don't know what they went with instead as I don't live in London, so never saw the paper), and had built up 9 or 10 weeks of strips in advance.

Ah, interesting. Thanks for the response! I really have no idea why so many Trails look like they were absolutely slammed out the door in a total flop sweat.

Hattie Masters posted:

I don't read every strip but only mentioning those that deserve a bit of notice or explanation.

Not Reading That:
The Holbrook 3 - Boring, insane yet boring or insultingly stupid.
9CLane - Insane yet interesting bad like a train wreck, but it left the thread and I sure can't be hosed to look for it myself.
Intelligent Life/Bill The Barbarian - Trash. The aggressively lazy copy and pasting tips it over into the realm of insulting the author.
Rip Haywire - The same joke, told well, recycled for a human eyeball forever. Sometimes I stop and look if the art is stylish that day. It's actually competent overall.
New Nancy - I've beaten this horse to death and respectfully it's just not for me.
Phoebe And Her Unicorn - To add to the above, I understand fully why this strip is good. I've gradually grown numb to and my eyes slide right off it. If I had to think about it critically it exists in a gap within my sense of humor.
Sally Forth - Same as the last two. Just bounces me right off.

Just Bad:
New Mark Trail - Objectively making mistakes constantly in writing and art. At least an entertaining tire fire for reasons no creator wants to hear. Always seems to botch the story telling in a way that suggests the author has somehow never actually read and understood a story from start to finish.
Luann - Master class in swerving away from interesting outcomes almost every time. Only sympathetic character is Tiff.
Dustin - Actually tells good jokes occasionally, consistent good art, bafflingly hateful. I think people read into Ed a bit too hard(most of the boomerisms are merely lame) but he and the strip are still pretty vile from time to time.
Monty(Rich Kid) - Even if you could set the politics aside these strips always suck out loud.
Daddy Daze - So I understand a lot of newspaper comics are going to recycle jokes and have their old reliables they pull from. The good ones spread them out and use them to pass time between their story arcs, or at least a new set of jokes for a week or two. Daddy Daze does almost the same joke virtually every day and after a certain point your tolerance breaks and it is insufferable. It's not offensively bad and is competently done and even thoughtful and touching at times(a positive divorce portrayal???) but once the ba ba gets to you you can't go back.
Take It From the Tinkersons - Close to genuinely bad, mostly painfully bland. Only spikes and gets better on average when it does one of the wild workplace murder gags. All the workplace gags tend to be better than the lovely family gags that are recycled with Paws Inc worthy shamelessness.
Phantom(Current Arc) - A usually good strip currently ruined by beating a dead horse until the bones are starting to become dust.
The Batiuk Two - Dictionary example of the term pig-headed. Aggressively, pig-headedly stupid and wrong with stunning, wholly unique idiot takes on situations.
Rae the Doe(about 1/3 of the time) - Sometimes Rae just absolutely murders any humor in the strip, particularly the Little Women/Jojo months.
Funny Online Animals(about 1/2 of the time) - Remember how Gunshow was actually really hit or miss and everybody just remembers the great strips? FOA continues the tradition and is utterly unashamed to vomit KC Green's stream of consciousness out for better or worse.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 18, 2022

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Most of that list is accurate but I’d argue that Tinkersons is pretty decent. The art is simplistic but decently expressive and the humor can be pretty solid when it lands. I also enjoy the absolutely bananas turns it will take with a completely straight face.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

we're close enough to halloween that we can have a "Alice becomes a slasher villain" arc

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

In the worst comic competition I was going to say that while there are definitely bad ones in here, other than the comics that have already (rightfully) been banned from this thread, I can't really decide. But then...

EasyEW posted:

A Series Of Curses Said Under My Breath While I'm Reading "Funky Winkerbean"

gently caress this. gently caress it straight to hell.

Does she? In high school her friends were Bernice and Gunther who were both huge losers and now gunther has a girlfriend and hangs out with tiffany

shes cursed to wander the earth with bernice as her only companion

I guess Ox too but he's nice to everyone

I meant Bernice. How the hell does Bernice have even one single solitary friend.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 17, 2022

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Magnified Man

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I don't... I don't understand, why would a 13 year old in, and let's be charitable here, 2017 be recording things on a device that's almost three times her age instead of any of the myriad of devices she would not doubt have access to?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Pibgorn

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Just Terrible Posts And Content Every Day Forever That I Must Post In Order To Offset Just How God drat Sexy I Am

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Calaveron posted:

I don't... I don't understand, why would a 13 year old in, and let's be charitable here, 2017 be recording things on a device that's almost three times her age instead of any of the myriad of devices she would not doubt have access to?

The real reason is that she used it in the 80s, when there was nothing anachronistic about it. They seem to have retconned it so that the tape recorder was a gift, a "hey, look at this old-timey thing" sort of present from an older relative. It's not implausible that she'd use it as a diary for a while, in the same way that my nephew enjoyed playing old-rear end NES games with me for a while.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Slammy posted:

So It Seems September 15, 1952

Did not think I would see a pinup cow today, but here we are!

ˇAragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (June 20-26, 1983)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Safe Havens

Ah, the one torment hellworld was lacking. :shrek:

:metis:

that lab is a nightmare

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Hostile V posted:

SHOOSH, PAP

You thought

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

goatface posted:

Good chance that at some point Boltar will go full berserkergang, possibly under order of his wife.

I'm saying Boltar Kool-Aid Mans into the kidnapper's hold, only to find Tillicum cleaning her knife and a pile of bodies

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

You could have said nothing and kept your dignity intact.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (August 17-19, 1922)

Starting with 100 years ago today, and hey, my birthday, too!

Toonerville Folks (November 3-5, 1919)

Dok's "It's All About The People That You Know" Duck (April 22, 1914)

Little Lefty (March 22-23, 1937)

And yup, two posts in a row...

Blondie From Zero (September 5-7, 1932; spoiler for the usual reasons.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 18, 2022

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Hostile V posted:

You could have said nothing and kept your dignity intact.

I had to spring this trap for the both of us

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tiggum posted:

9 Chickweed Lane wins my prize for most consistently worthless, but I have to also give a Runner-Up award to Titsy Fritzy Gilchrist Nancy.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Sep 23, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes ()

Big Nate

Pierce really enjoying drawing that face this week.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

note: he (and we) doesn't know how they are.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

EEEEEEEE

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

I don't count that because it doesn't get posted so I rarely have any contact with it.

Currently the worst for me is Reddick's strips. I mean I hate a number of strips, but I enjoy hating them. Not those though.

Edit: actually since I still read them I must enjoy hating them on some level, but those are by far the worst currently posted.
This is a lot to read but well worth it.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

lol Mary's such a bitch

The Phantom

I think he's finally actually dying (in the story Mozz is telling).

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Gonna be another wedding.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Genuine question: do schoolkids even have paper textbooks anymore? I kind of figured nowadays they'd each have a laptop and maybe a tablet.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ardeem posted:

Pretend I went though the effort and suffering to find an Oh Baby panel.
Meh. Oh Baby certainly isn't good, but it doesn't really bother me.

Mutts does though. This particular strip is just bland, but I cannot loving stand that lisping dog. "Yesh". gently caress off.

Doomykins posted:

Intelligent Life/Bill The Barbarian - Trash. The aggressively lazy copy and pasting tips it over into the realm of insulting the author.
Yeah, Reddick is terrible.

Doomykins posted:

Dustin - consistent good art
People keep saying this but they're wrong. The art is as bad as the writing.

Doomykins posted:

Phantom(Current Arc) - A usually good strip currently ruined by beating a dead horse until the bones are starting to become dust.
I would say "occasionally good" at best. They had one extended run that was legitimately good and haven't replicated it in years.

Another contender.

My opinion on this one shifted gradually from "it's ok" to "it's bland but unremarkable" to "I hate this."

I count that as being indistinguishable from 9CL.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl
I only read the first few of these so I could be judging it unfairly, but the impression I got of it was "it's a horrifying monster but the protagonist thinks it's cute and doesn't notice all the terrible things it does". I got sick of Lio years ago, and at least Lio wasn't this wordy.

I have never, and will never read all of these words or try to make out whatever the gently caress those scribbles are supposed to be.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

lol Mary's such a bitch

Speaking from experience, when someone opens up to you about their issues and emotions "I knew something was up" is not helpful.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

your loss, Lynda Barry is consistently one of the rawest and best things posted in here

the worst stuff is probably Reddick's vomit, Holbrook, and Batiuk

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Y'all working hard to bring content into this thread.

I will criticise none. Bring it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 09, 2000)

Doomykins posted:

I love Arlo so much. :allears:

Me too. He's fully being a jerk but somehow it is lovable.