Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Was Groo ever a newspaper comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

This is the most hosed-up that Gunk has ever looked.

What happened, Mr. Billingsley?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I confess there are a few I don't read... but I couldn't say anything that I really dislike, besides from Holbrook's stuff.

Anyway, onto today's extended Blueberry: Blueberry repeats his trick when he was being pursued by Quanah... but with more respect to the surrounding geography, or Looks like O'Bannion won't be getting upset at anyone ever again..., or Blueberry's pride is gonna be his downfall...

And... so ends the adventure of the Ghost Tribe! But Blueberry's story isn't over - not yet... join us next time when we meet an old 'friend' in... The Last Card!

Well, at least Blueberry seems to be enjoying himself!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

EBB posted:

:metis:

that lab is a nightmare

They really should be using a all purpose fertilizer or something like that. But I'm not a scientist or whatever.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

But you're not one you just smell like one and people for some reason can't see with their eyes and :argh:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Good Listener posted:

But you're not one you just smell like one and people for some reason can't see with their eyes and :argh:

Google posted:

Rats are colorblind, and their eyesight is generally poor.

e;
Oh wait Angelique is a rabbit that is pretending to be a rat.

quote:

Rabbits tend to be farsighted, which means they can see long distances really well. However, their vision for items nearby isn't always so great.

e2;
Keep your enemies close, cause they can't see so good up close.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Genuine question: do schoolkids even have paper textbooks anymore? I kind of figured nowadays they'd each have a laptop and maybe a tablet.

Depends on the school system, I guess. My nephew in Wisconsin is in 5th grade, and she has enough text books that she needs two backpacks to carry them home on bad homework days.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Angelique is also watching over cameras, which apparently pick up pheremones?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
If we're still talking least favorite comics, this glurgy piece of poo poo is up there too. And I have a pretty high tolerance for saccharine poo poo, since I really like BCN even when it's doing one of its overly cutesy holiday weeks or w/e.

I think the difference is that BCN feels like Georgia Dunn is just that way naturally(and has actual plots and jokes and stuff), while Macanudo feels like it's focused grouped to appeal to grandmas who want to feel whimsical but can't handle reading an actual joke.

Also add Reddick and Batiuk to the list, for being so bad that I forget they exist unless someone else brings them up.

2018 Spiderman

1980 comics
I'm also adding Annie to my least favorite comics list and I'm the one posting it(until this storyline finally ends, in probably 6 months because they really enjoy making sure nothing happens except a parade of racial stereotypes).

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

Safe Havens

Ah, the one torment hellworld was lacking. :shrek:

Jesus CHRIST

I occasionally glance at Holbrook's stuff but mostly I avoid it, and the discussion of it. So a sexually harassing lab mongoose got turned into a talking flower as punishment and now has to eat mouse poo poo? Good night!

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

lol Mary's such a bitch

Once again, this sanctimonious old ratbag worked hard to push Dawn's awful father on an innocent woman despite him constantly ruining her life. The same man she's now being all "I knew you were turning out just as bad as him!" about.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Here's an entire category of stuff I don't read: anything that gets posted in huge batches like this. I realise that, objectively, it's not actually a lot to read, but it feels like it is and I can't do it.

Haifisch posted:

I think the difference is that BCN feels like Georgia Dunn is just that way naturally(and has actual plots and jokes and stuff), while Macanudo feels like it's focused grouped to appeal to grandmas who want to feel whimsical but can't handle reading an actual joke.

1980 comics
I'm also adding Annie to my least favorite comics list and I'm the one posting it(until this storyline finally ends, in probably 6 months because they really enjoy making sure nothing happens except a parade of racial stereotypes).
I've literally never read BCN because I hate the way it looks and the concept sounds terrible. Someone making up stories about what their cats are thinking? Ugh.

And yeah, Annie sucks.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yes, the label is accurate: this appears to be a snek.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Tiggum posted:

Here's an entire category of stuff I don't read: anything that gets posted in huge batches like this. I realise that, objectively, it's not actually a lot to read, but it feels like it is and I can't do it.

Oh dang - I would want this to be accessible for everyone, and if it is a bit too much the way I usually post it, I could only post two at a time? Does that make sense?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Samovar posted:

Oh dang - I would want this to be accessible for everyone, and if it is a bit too much the way I usually post it, I could only post two at a time? Does that make sense?
I would maybe have given it a go at one page per post. They're big pages though, so even that's not a given.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm several pages back but I feel like hammered dogshit and been vomiting all day, so this too will be hurled forth semi-involuntarily.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

gently caress you, guy. "How dare you ensure my murdering stalker faces consequences for their actions"

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (June 27-July 3, 1983)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

and y'all are complaining Sally Forth is too wordy

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

and y'all are complaining Sally Forth is too wordy

There can be more than one too wordy thing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hostile V posted:

Just Terrible Posts And Content Every Day Forever That I Must Post In Order To Offset Just How God drat Sexy I Am

... form? LITERALLY TWO PANELS EARLIER you mentioned it was a loving disguise and you weren't transformed it's just a visual gag thing loving hell this is a new speed record for "holbrook forgetting that a visual metaphor thing isn't literal". Inside one strip.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I like the art in Macanudo; it reminds me of illustrations in a children's book. It's a shame it never really has anything to say though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Hattie Masters posted:

We talk a lot about favourite comics and what we love about them, but what are people's Least Favourites? Which ones do you wish were scoured from the face of the earth?

I just went through the OP and mine are

Ernie Pook’s Comeek: I thought it was called Marlys? Grotesque.
The Good Innvandrer: This reads more to me like a false flag about how lazy immigrants are.
Macanudo: Neither smart nor funny.
Mutts: Stupid and bizarre.
Rhymes With Orange: Almost always fails to deliver a joke. Even if we ignore the weird first panel "gag".

Everything else is good.

I didn't check who posts what, so apologies if it looks like I'm ragging on anyone's product. I appreciate everyone who goes through the chore of posting comic strips.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 18, 2022

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/17/02

Brenda Starr 4/18-20/49

Smokey Stover 8/14/49

Everyday Movies 6/25/35

"You know my Selma always wanted a wedding outdoors, just like her boss's wife said their daughter had. We got everything here but the garden."

Selachian fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 18, 2022

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Have to admit that my eyes slide right past the vast majority of the pre-WW2 stuff and the :words: strips like Marlys, but I wouldn't say I actively dislike them; they're just not interesting to me. The only outright unwelcome regulars from both an art and writing perspective are the barbarian thing and its nerds-in-the-workplace companion, which are barely above Ctrl-Alt-Del levels of lazy and unfunny.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
PhantoMozz is going to hallucinate his family and call out to them, and sniper wife will go "Diana? Kit? Heloise? But that's my husband's family!"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Daddy Daze is awful dreck.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Hostile V posted:

GROMF, CHELB, PCHOO, SHOOSH, PAP, SMARGE

thank u for your service, for unspecified reasons, this was my favorite assortment

Hattie Masters posted:

I asked this a couple years ago now, but I am interested to see how things have changed:

We talk a lot about favourite comics and what we love about them, but what are people's Least Favourites? Which ones do you wish were scoured from the face of the earth?

nothing gets under my skin quite like Luann or Reddick strips, Big Nate gets stuck in insanely bad weeks but otherwise is just normal

everyone complaining about Lynda Barry comics or Sylvia are completely nuts lol, go back and read every single one

Samovar posted:

you cant listen to the guy who hates BCN AND Lynda Barry! 4's been good!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Payndz posted:

The only outright unwelcome regulars from both an art and writing perspective are the barbarian thing and its nerds-in-the-workplace companion, which are barely above Ctrl-Alt-Del levels of lazy and unfunny.

These are the strips I dislike the most. There's something about them that makes them feel like they were designed by committee. They give the impression that the person or people behind them consider them as products rather than as art.

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 26, 1952)

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
i'm back btw thank you, Powered Descent, i hated reading the poop flower strip

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 10, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

riderchop fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 18, 2022

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

riderchop posted:

i'm back btw thank you, Powered Descent, i hated reading the poop flower strip

b]Heathcliff[/b]

I'm having trouble keeping up with the thread, but have we discussed Heathcliff's cement beach?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
cement beach week

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Wouldn't Inhuman Resources work a lot better?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Welcome back and thank god, I was running out of words.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 26, 1952)

No one's gonna see these two dudes ever again

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

"Our first act is to have the flower formerly known as overly macho mongoose turned into a dung beetle."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
She might solid snake the whole conspiracy.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Legend of Bill

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just as a counter argument, I love blueberry and I would read 10 of them in one sitting if I could.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i gotta give reddick credit, he really did somehow make a comic worse than his first one

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Blueberry is fine the way it is. Breaking it up into semi-coherent chunks won’t make it any more accessible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
Bill is funny only for the time Reddick shamelessly had his Intelligent Life character dress up as him, and go to Dethany's* Halloween party, leading to Holbrook having to write dialogue pretending he knew what the hell the reference was

*from 'On The Fastrack'!