Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Tulip posted:

Aside you inadvertently triggered my memory that people, not just like guys but people who get published, have argued that the Roman Empire's success was because they were ethnically pure and did not incorporate minority peoples into their military or civic structure, and the crisis of the 3rd century and eventual collapse was because they let too many non-Romans breed into the Roman population

I'd like to take this opportunity to repost acoup's series on the ethnogenesis of the Romans which suggests dramatically the opposite, which is great reading if you're not familiar with just how much of a bastard people they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
You'd like to but you... Won't?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
pescennius n****

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The story of Max Thrax first appearing in the record because as a show of strength he jogged along side (the prior emperor's?) A dudes horse and just knocked the drat horse out is a good one.

He, however, was not a good one.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

here ya go

https://acoup.blog/2021/06/11/collections-the-queens-latin-or-who-were-the-romans-part-i-beginnings-and-legends/

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the aeneid is one giant fight for the right of the trojan exiles to race mix with italians to create the eventual roman line

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 14:14 on Aug 18, 2022

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Good Tides of History this week about the lives of average working stiffs in New Kingdom Egypt.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Grevling posted:

Good Tides of History this week about the lives of average working stiffs in New Kingdom Egypt.

oh hell yeah thanks

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Tulip posted:

Aside you inadvertently triggered my memory that people, not just like guys but people who get published, have argued that the Roman Empire's success was because they were ethnically pure and did not incorporate minority peoples into their military or civic structure, and the crisis of the 3rd century and eventual collapse was because they let too many non-Romans breed into the Roman population

If they're was a way to argue that the G*rms were solely and totally responsible for the Fall of Rome without being racist I would take out a grad school loan right now.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

War and Pieces posted:

If they're was a way to argue that the G*rms were solely and totally responsible for the Fall of Rome without being racist I would take out a grad school loan right now.

idk how george r r martin caused the fall of rome but, i would believe it

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Jazerus posted:

idk how george r r martin caused the fall of rome but, i would believe it

They were too busy waiting for the next book to come out they forgot to defend the Rhine frontier

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

sullat posted:

They were too busy waiting for the next book to come out they forgot to defend the Rhine frontier

The franks were able to ultimately overrun roman gaul through ensuring that the jets would never reach the playoffs via bribery and putting them in the same division as Bradicingetorix

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
*discussing an empire that spent its last 300 years in near-constant civil war*

the reasons for its fall are complex...

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Lol owned me.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Sherbert Hoover posted:

*discussing an empire that spent its last 300 years in near-constant civil war*

the reasons for its fall are complex...

"it was extremely stable, except for the slave revolts and civil wars, which we can safely discount as there are entire years without them"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Weka posted:

Lol owned me.

brutal pwnage

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

took a while but I enjoyed this series

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea thanks, that's a really good read.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Rome fell because of this guy's monopoly on lamps

https://twitter.com/AntiquityJ/status/1560544232800223233?t=Oh5avwGHmAg6fHWekPp0BQ&s=19

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

War and Pieces posted:

it’s okay to be racist towards germans. they’ve earned it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Real hurthling! posted:

the aeneid is one giant fight for the right of the trojan exiles to race mix with italians to create the eventual roman line

you got to fight
for your right
to raaaaaace miiixxxx

but yeah aeneid owns, first historical instance of Big Head mode as well

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

many ancient med peoples claimed to have ancestors from elsewhere rather than to be a pure blooded or indigenous race.

like a ton of greeks thought they were descendants of a large movement of dorians into mainland greece that made 19th and 20th century scholars waste their lives looking for non literary evidence of it and we get all these narratives about a supposed great dorian invasion etc...

meanwhile the athenians claimed their mythological ancestor had been literally born from the attic soil after hephaestus failed to penetrate athena during a rape attempt and she wiped the mess off her legs onto the ground causing king erichthonius to be born.

epic prehistoric conquest vs jizz goblin. greece is a land of contrasts

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
The type of racist who loves Greeks but hates people from SWANA has obviously never read any of the hundreds of Greek stories about their founders and inventions all coming from Egypt, Anatolia Persia and Scythia

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

War and Pieces posted:

The type of racist who loves Greeks but hates people from SWANA has obviously never read any of the hundreds of Greek stories about their founders and inventions all coming from Egypt, Anatolia Persia and Scythia
hosed up that anyone would hate people from the Solid Waste Association of North America.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

hosed up that anyone would hate people from the Solid Waste Association of North America.

any experiences with the application process? I think I may have a load of stuff to offer to the organization.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So with the Dorians is it just a case where there was migration but no big military invasion, or is it something else entirely?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Short answer: there was almost certainly not a massive migration or invasion as envisaged by the ancient Greeks, but something big definitely happened. Homer depicts a significantly different culture than the one reciting the legend, there was definitely a language shift, and we have archaeological evidence of a bunch of destruction around 1200 BC.

But curiously, whatever happened seems to leave the area significantly depopulated and without rulers leaving any mark in the archaeological record, which strongly argues against conquest, since the conquerors almost universally stick around to reap the rewards.

There's a bunch of theories from mutually destructive civil wars to a climate shift to repeated external raiding by the infamous Sea Peoples but there's just not enough evidence in any one direction to say for sure.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i sincerely don't give a poo poo about mycenae, but i really wanna know what the poo poo the Minoans were up to

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Riot Bimbo posted:

i sincerely don't give a poo poo about mycenae, but i really wanna know what the poo poo the Minoans were up to

Great question! Prepare to fight!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I wanna know how they made and erected such big obelisks and how many they cracked/broke moving them and getting them upright

I remember reading a book or long article or something about how Egyptian artifacts got to various places and they describe the absolutely harrowing journey of transporting and setting up the obelisk in Central Park and at the time everyone involved was like "how the gently caress did they do this 3000 years ago, we're lucky we haven't shattered the thing"

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

indigi posted:

I wanna know how they made and erected such big obelisks and how many they cracked/broke moving them and getting them upright

I remember reading a book or long article or something about how Egyptian artifacts got to various places and they describe the absolutely harrowing journey of transporting and setting up the obelisk in Central Park and at the time everyone involved was like "how the gently caress did they do this 3000 years ago, we're lucky we haven't shattered the thing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgekJnMeNiY

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
lol I spent the whole thing going well they wouldn't put a documentary of it if it didn't work but that thing is overengineered by half they'd make a big pile of dirt to act like scaffolding, which ancient engineering did all the time. and it turns out yep lmao

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's not hard making a big pile of dirt you just need a bunch of shovels and jerks. both tended to be pretty easy to make more of

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/HaroldsBro/status/1561058613526810624

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
In conclusion: Slavery was forced upon America by the Dutch.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

there is no end to the evils brought upon this world by the wretched dutchman

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
The dutch invented capitalism, splitting the check, weird cast iron pots called “ovens”. the worst

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Delthalaz posted:

The dutch invented capitalism, splitting the check, weird cast iron pots called “ovens”. the worst

They don't sound trustworthy. What's their angle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

They don't sound trustworthy. What's their angle?

Askew from the rest of us.