Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Kurieg posted:

You can talk him into eating his gun in ME3. You have to have exhausted the left side tree in every single previous conversation with him, otherwise it's not possible and he shoots Anderson instead.

Oh yeah I totally forgot about that. Man the ending of ME3 sucked, it's great they went back and had everyone do cool poo poo during the Citadel DLC after you defeated the Reapers and Male Shep got to go have a great life as a thrupple with Jack, Jack's space dog, and Liara.

In more MTG related poo poo: I've finally assembled a pool of cards to tweak the Mind Flayaarrrs precon with. Which is all about attacking with horrors, with commander it gives all horrors menace, maybe also shapeshifters/changelings and stealing poo poo from people's graveyards, artifacts/creatures, to use against people. I'm thinking of just keeping it high powered since it's Dimir and it'll be all kinds of feel bads against people.

I know I want to remove a bunch of overly expensive poo poo like "In Garruk's Wake" and some bafflingly unhelpful horrors.

https://archidekt.com/decks/2902700#Mind_Flayarrr_Upgrayedd_(He_gonna_find_me)

Jiro fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/7G11ZkUt9E6y5XtE0EWKVg

I may have gotten lost on "upgrading" the Kaldheim spirit precon. It started as a Brago flicker deck but there are no ETB draw sprits in UB so had to go Bant with Amareth, the Lustrous. But then there is so much value of bouncing Returned Pastcaller and Balefire liege is a lord for half the creatures and I do have Morophon the boundless. But wait o-kagachi vengeful kami is on sale and so more flavorful...

on a scale of one to "really dude" how would you react to stax pieces if it's flavorful. Kataki isn't super hated right? It could be spirit of the labyrinth or eidolon of rhetoric.

edit: and I know there is no selfless spirit, that card is perpetually sold out.

MasterBuilder fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 18, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It depends entirely on the Stax piece. Nobody complains about Kataki or Collector Ouphe, absolutely everybody hates Winter Orb or Stasis.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Bust Rodd posted:

It depends entirely on the Stax piece. Nobody complains about Kataki or Collector Ouphe, absolutely everybody hates Winter Orb or Stasis.

'cause a lot of people playing them don't end the game shortly after playing them and instead make the game take fifty turns?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it’s because there is a delineation, however fine, between “now we all have to jump through hoops to play Magic” and “now nobody gets play Magic at all”

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Cards that interfere with your ability to use mana stones and stuff like that are annoying, but tolerable. They're just forcing you to play "fair," dropping you back down to the one-land-per-turn standard. Cards that cut you back to below the one-land-per-turn standard are the ones that get hate. In other words,

Bust Rodd posted:

I think it’s because there is a delineation, however fine, between “now we all have to jump through hoops to play Magic” and “now nobody gets play Magic at all”

This is basically it. "I tried to go ham and was stopped" is very different from "I can't do anything at all."

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Was listening to Command Zone Podcast earlier, any of you SoCal goons going to test your cEDH decks out for the chance to win a Black Lotus??

https://www.cashcardsunlimited.com/news/list#Commander-Tournament-September-3rd-and-4th-2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think Infinite Karma should go and surprise everyone with Food Chain Garth

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jiro posted:

Was listening to Command Zone Podcast earlier, any of you SoCal goons going to test your cEDH decks out for the chance to win a Black Lotus??

https://www.cashcardsunlimited.com/news/list#Commander-Tournament-September-3rd-and-4th-2022

what's a "Commander Slab: Angus Mackenzie"

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Jiro posted:

$300 entry fee though :zoid:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
True, but it’s also literally the highest prize pool in Commander history, maybe even Magic’s history. I honestly can’t remember the last Magic event to put up a Lotus, in any format.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
200 people at 300 bucks each is $60,000. Is the prize pool anywhere near that amount? A quick google tells me that an Unlimited lotus is $20k for a cheap one (they don't specify condition so i assume "not good"). The rest of the prizes I'm too lazy to look up their prices/wtf they even are, but I doubt they total >$20k. And I can't imagine they're spending more than a few thousand on operating costs and advertising; if anything, they're probably making bank from store traffic. It does not seem like a good deal. (I could be wrong; the prices of lotuses and old poo poo like that vary a lot, plus idk what the gently caress half the items in the prize pool are.)

Also if you win you have to take home a "Liliana Statue" so can you really consider it a win?

edit: just noticed the banner says "guaranteed 30k prize pool." it's normal for like a 1k at a local store to have a prize pool that's 50% of the revenue but that's because operating costs are a much higher proportion of that number (mostly judges/staff) but this tournament absolutely will not need more than two judges and one TO and a house cut of 30k is loving ridiculous

edit2: maybe three judges if they're bad judges.

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 18, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
First Place is a Black Lotus, a random pack of ABUR duals, and graded Angus McKenzie Slab.

2nd Place is a Timetwister and some Duals

3rd place is a Foil Cradle

Plus in addition to it being a tournament, it’s also sort of functioning as a “$300 a plate Wine & Dine with MtG nerd celebrities”. Like there is a REALLY REALLY good chance you’ll be able to meet Post Malone or Joe Mangienello etc. They rented out the space to jam games all night long between Day 1 & Day 2, and everyone involved is a huge baller. I’d rather spend $300 on this than I would spend $250 on a Command Fest Ticket, easy.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bust Rodd posted:

Go on

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I’ve got a really, stupidly specific deck-tech question for the thread (and really what else is the thread for but stupid specific recommendations).

I’m currently running a 5-color deck (Slivers, if it matters). My mana base is pretty well balanced and I’m happy with how it supports the various color pips in the deck. At the moment the deck has a Stormcarved Coast in it, but I just recently acquired a Training Center. I don’t need to run both, so I’m wondering should I swap out the Coast for the Center? At first it felt like a no-brainer; it’s a Commander deck after all. But then I started to consider how often I’d be in a position of having to play a T1 or T2 Coast (almost never) vs being down to one opponent and wanting to play an untapped Center…

I’m just not sure, so I’m bringing my quandary here. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DontMockMySmock posted:

200 people at 300 bucks each is $60,000. Is the prize pool anywhere near that amount? A quick google tells me that an Unlimited lotus is $20k for a cheap one (they don't specify condition so i assume "not good"). The rest of the prizes I'm too lazy to look up their prices/wtf they even are, but I doubt they total >$20k. And I can't imagine they're spending more than a few thousand on operating costs and advertising; if anything, they're probably making bank from store traffic. It does not seem like a good deal. (I could be wrong; the prices of lotuses and old poo poo like that vary a lot, plus idk what the gently caress half the items in the prize pool are.)

Also if you win you have to take home a "Liliana Statue" so can you really consider it a win?

edit: just noticed the banner says "guaranteed 30k prize pool." it's normal for like a 1k at a local store to have a prize pool that's 50% of the revenue but that's because operating costs are a much higher proportion of that number (mostly judges/staff) but this tournament absolutely will not need more than two judges and one TO and a house cut of 30k is loving ridiculous

edit2: maybe three judges if they're bad judges.

"Deal"? It's $300, you're not buying every seat.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

TotalHell posted:

I’ve got a really, stupidly specific deck-tech question for the thread (and really what else is the thread for but stupid specific recommendations).

I’m currently running a 5-color deck (Slivers, if it matters). My mana base is pretty well balanced and I’m happy with how it supports the various color pips in the deck. At the moment the deck has a Stormcarved Coast in it, but I just recently acquired a Training Center. I don’t need to run both, so I’m wondering should I swap out the Coast for the Center? At first it felt like a no-brainer; it’s a Commander deck after all. But then I started to consider how often I’d be in a position of having to play a T1 or T2 Coast (almost never) vs being down to one opponent and wanting to play an untapped Center…

I’m just not sure, so I’m bringing my quandary here. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Can you please either post your decklist or just your mana base? I can’t really answer without knowing either piece of info.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what's a "Commander Slab: Angus Mackenzie"

Apparently it's an MTG Legendary Creature that's in a hard plastic shell showing it's been graded, since it's in that shell it can't be shuffled into a deck but it can still be used as your commander.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Bust Rodd posted:

Can you please either post your decklist or just your mana base? I can’t really answer without knowing either piece of info.

Absolutely. Here's the decklist:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/p7Oxo04SQEK2Ad1hpI2X1Q

Caveats include 1. this is always a work-in-progress and 2. I'm trying to do no proxies on this one, so if you're wondering why X card isn't present, I probably don't yet own a copy.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://twitter.com/gavinverhey/status/1560305983766728704?s=21&t=_MafzpLWlKKeGR-zgCLoXw

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Welp. I take it back. Sheldon Jr. sucks as a designer, so maybe we didn't need Doctor Who.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Toshimo posted:

Welp. I take it back. Sheldon Jr. sucks as a designer, so maybe we didn't need Doctor Who.

Young Sheldon was right there...

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Spoilers for Dominaria United:

https://mythicspoiler.com/

Looks like we got a new Zur in addition to some other legendaries.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Tarnop posted:

Young Sheldon was right there...

:emptyquote:

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Bust Rodd posted:

If I'm spending $300 to play at Frank & Sons, I'm using my most reliable decks, so Urza or Pako.

It would be a joy to get Garth on the map, but Garth doesn't have the juice to win multiple pods as archenemy like Urza or the good dog do.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lol

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This means Earth is now part of the MTGU.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
RIP Dr Who

I met Gavin once. He was about as offputting in real life as you would expect.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Infinite Karma posted:

If I'm spending $300 to play at Frank & Sons, I'm using my most reliable decks, so Urza or Pako.

It would be a joy to get Garth on the map, but Garth doesn't have the juice to win multiple pods as archenemy like Urza or the good dog do.

It’s funny that you say this because the most recent data from cEDH metagame project is that Urza has a statistically lower win rate than other mono-colored decks. It only wins like 20% of the time.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Six painlands in the new Dominaria set. Were any of those getting pricey?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Batterypowered7 posted:

i noticed Brushland is kinda

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

New Commander deck face cards seem interesting

Seems kind tricky to use Jared's ult, but I'm curious how the rest of the deck will build around it. Would be awesome if it included a reprint of Dream Halls to make it easier to play without a super expensive mana base, but it's on the reserved list...

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Batterypowered7 posted:

Underground River and Sulfurous Springs are over 10bux, Adarkar is just under.

Battlefield Forge, Shivan Reef, Llanowar Wastes, Caves, and Yavimaya Coast are $1 +- 50 cents.

Dihada looks cool.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Toph Bei Fong posted:

New Commander deck face cards seem interesting

Seems kind tricky to use Jared's ult, but I'm curious how the rest of the deck will build around it. Would be awesome if it included a reprint of Dream Halls to make it easier to play without a super expensive mana base, but it's on the reserved list...

What's that you want MORE land cards like Temple of the False Gods???? You got it!! :v:

At least this gives Carth the Lion a potential home to just pull out more planeswalkers outside of his golgari color set to do some potentially really nasty poo poo.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 18, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

http://mythicspoiler.com/dmu/cards/jhoiraagelessinnovator.html

I like her. Low CMC and does a powerful thing [if you get to untap with her].

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

So does Jared go into the 5c Niv deck, or vice versa?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Silhouette posted:

So does Jared go into the 5c Niv deck, or vice versa?

Karona

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
The new Sheoldred is sick nasty:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
The art is gorgeous and I want Elesh Norn in the stained glass art.

This Sheoldred is fine, but continues the trend of being a praetor who does nothing when she comes down and is too slow to really stand out. At least this one is cheap enough to reasonably cast early on and low enough impact to maybe be a sleeper hit that people don't immediately target for removal (like the OG Sheoldred), and could choke card draw in late game after life totals have been pressured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
New Sheoldred is a slam dunk in wheel decks, but I don't think she'll see much play outside of that.