Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think loretta's greatbow can technically outrange them but the issue becomes getting in range of one for sniping without standing in the range of a different one, and smashing your shots on geometry. you may wanna just find a shield you can use and hold it in front of your face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I failed to outsnipe them too and found the best tactic to be to rush them on the rooftops and turn their faces into meat paste.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I was surprised to find out how much health they had once I got up close. Not far off from the Black Knife Assassins, TBH.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Of course now that I'm done with the area I remember the magic shield enchantment exists.

I didn't have any shields with decent magic defense so I just rolled through as many arrows as I could while rushing them and it barely worked.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 17, 2022

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I used a jar cannon to knock their asses down to street level in all my playthroughs but I also pretty reliably had the strength to wield it or the hand ballista on all my builds by that point. It's two handed by default so the actual requirement is lower than it lists

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

Of course now that I'm done with the area I remember the magic shield enchantment exists.

I didn't have any shields with decent magic defense so I just rolled through as many arrows as I could while rushing them and it barely worked.

I used a basic bronze shield and that allowed me to tank their hits just fine.

Didn't remember shields until the twentieth time I tried to take em of course.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I usually just jump/crouch from cover to cover until I get close enough and then

The Midniter posted:

turn their faces into meat paste.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
dunno why i keep getting summoned to Spiritcaller Cave...kinda boring

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I recently found that Unseen Form helps a lot with Ordina. Wear an Int-boosting hat and the Stargazer Heirloom and you should be able to cast it. Here's a video of me using it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea3uV_HIGxQ

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

a.p. dent posted:

dunno why i keep getting summoned to Spiritcaller Cave...kinda boring

would you rather your spirit get called to summoner's cave

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Trying out Lusat's Staff for the hell of it. It does hit awfully hard, but I'm not sure the vastly increased FP cost is worth it. For Carian Slicer it arguably is, because Slicer is so cheap anyways that who cares if it's a little more expensive. Where I really notice the increased cost though is on things like Adula's Moonblade and Carian Piercer.

I have enough flasks at this point that this staff is probably not terrible to use even with the increased costs though. It is kinda funny just trucking with 80 int + this staff + magic scorpion charm. Feel like Carian Regal Scepter is probably on average better just for the conservation of fp though

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Radagon/Elden Beast are just too much.

EB has an arena the size of Radahn, but you don't get torrent to close the gap. With them and Malenia (blade of Miquela, who has never known defeat) I don't think I've ever had this much trouble in any soulsborne boss fight to date.

Eye wateringly stupid and bad.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Malenia is loving brutal but it rules. Elden Beast is loving brutal until you figure out a method that works and then it's easy, and it kinda sucks either way.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

I failed to outsnipe them too and found the best tactic to be to rush them on the rooftops and turn their faces into meat paste.

You can also use invisible form (or whatever that spell is caused) and they wont notice you till you're in shanking range.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ginette Reno posted:

Trying out Lusat's Staff for the hell of it. It does hit awfully hard, but I'm not sure the vastly increased FP cost is worth it. For Carian Slicer it arguably is, because Slicer is so cheap anyways that who cares if it's a little more expensive. Where I really notice the increased cost though is on things like Adula's Moonblade and Carian Piercer.

I have enough flasks at this point that this staff is probably not terrible to use even with the increased costs though. It is kinda funny just trucking with 80 int + this staff + magic scorpion charm. Feel like Carian Regal Scepter is probably on average better just for the conservation of fp though

Lusat’s Staff is great for stuff that’s so cheap you don’t notice the cost anyway (as you noted), and for gimmick one shot Comet type builds that use it to make that one massive shot count. There’s a huge donut of other spells in between where it feels like a bad deal though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Elden Beast/Radagon is particularly challenging because it's a marathon fight like no other in the game - they're both tough, powerful bosses that would individually burn through a lot of your resources, and you fight them back to back. Faith builds have an easier time of it thanks to their multiple longevity-increasing tools (with the Blasphemous Blade being particularly excellent), and pure-physical builds get by on just not using many resources to start with (they don't take much damage and they don't use much FP), but it's real trouble for sorcerers and other builds that rely on ending fights quickly before they run out of juice.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

lite_sleepr posted:

Radagon/Elden Beast are just too much.

EB has an arena the size of Radahn, but you don't get torrent to close the gap. With them and Malenia (blade of Miquela, who has never known defeat) I don't think I've ever had this much trouble in any soulsborne boss fight to date.

Eye wateringly stupid and bad.

What build are you?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If you can cast pest threads, that absolutely obliterates the Elden Beast if there is any seal at all you can use which scales well with one of your stats.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pest Threads, Shard Spiral, Wing of Astel weapon art, just hitting it really hard with two huge weapons, there are a few options no matter what your build to shred the beast. EB is a bit of a letdown after the very fun fight that is Radagon but so long as you remember you can jump it's not too crazy, like a spectacle fight where you still can't gently caress up much. Stack holy resist. Talisman and resist spell is what I used but next time I face it I'm going to ash up the Haligtree greatshield to Sacred because it gets something insane like 99% holy resist lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Malenia is brutal but awesome
Elden Beast is just kinda dumb, it isn’t even all that hard once you learn his attacks but the process of learning his attacks is made really tedious

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah I did some poking around in EB on my no bonk arms run. Curious to see if the poleblades could handle it. Does Ragadon fine but it's just too weak for EB. That's not a fight you want to chip via melee.

Leaning towards doing more stuff to get the stats for astel weapon. Maliketh I ended up katana-smashing with RoB and that long katana so blah. Lightning spears fun too. Probably go blender Malenia too she deserves it.

Falling Star Jaw or ruins greatsword? Those blow up the space whale.

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 18, 2022

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Moon + Shard Spiral was what finally clicked for EB on my run. I was dumb and forgot about ss though, so I ate poo poo a few times first.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

After getting dunked on a dozen times by the stupid Elden Beast, I remembered Shard Spiral from a hint someone gave me for Placidusax. I think I beat it next try. It completely wrecks it.

Bring a spirit ash that can tank/aggro EB for you to get as close as possible to it and wait till it starts a longer combo so it can‘t easily flee. Spiral that Shard right through it.

e: and I fully aggree this should have been a fight with Torrent available

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm doing an Elden Ring Randomizer run, the mods I'm running are

Any Buff, any ash, Any weapon
Infinite Buffs
Any Summon, Anywhere, infinite re-summon

I didn't want to make it too overpowered, but I wanted some summons since I can't coop anything, and I felt like the game could get brutal without them.

I'm trying to pick my first starting class, and I'm wondering if I should re-roll or if there's anything really good that stands out.

https://pastebin.com/PFWHSD8T

I'm debating once again doing a magic build and picking prisoner for the Lazuli Glintstone Sword, or Wretch seems possibly good? Or Astrologer for Ice Crag

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 18, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So how do dex builds deal with the final boss pair? They seem like they have the least options for effectively engaging them, especially since Radagon is immune to Bleed and the Elden Beast is immune to all status effects.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

So how do dex builds deal with the final boss pair? They seem like they have the least options for effectively engaging them, especially since Radagon is immune to Bleed and the Elden Beast is immune to all status effects.

Secret rare gaming technique: hit it until it dies

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

i used a high-damage dex weapon (urumi in my case) and respecced up exactly 17 faith to be able to buff it with black flame blade

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah blackflame spells are really good against both Radagon and EB. I believe the brief damage-over-time effect is calculated based on a percentage of the victim's max HP. The Black Blade (both weapon art and incantation) also deals reliable damage for the same reason iirc (also uses a special damage type that completely ignores all resistances). Makes sense, since all such effects are like, explicitly designed to kill gods

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i'm determined to beat Malenia solo melee, and i like the fight now. still haven't won yet though

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah blackflame spells are really good against both Radagon and EB. I believe the brief damage-over-time effect is calculated based on a percentage of the victim's max HP. The Black Blade (both weapon art and incantation) also deals reliable damage for the same reason iirc (also uses a special damage type that completely ignores all resistances). Makes sense, since all such effects are like, explicitly designed to kill gods

another benefit of black flame blade is that it's one of the only buff spells that work like the drawstring resins, you can apply it very quickly during very narrow windows

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
I love how everyone hates the radagon/EB combo while I find that fight rather trivial. Meanwhile, don't ask how many times I've died to fricking Godfrey/Hoarah Loux. Is no one else struggling against him? Just me?

Defeating EB feels more of RNG: Sometimes the fucker keeps spamming holy blade, and rarely it stays in melee and swings like a whale stuck on a beach.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Goatson posted:

I love how everyone hates the radagon/EB combo while I find that fight rather trivial. Meanwhile, don't ask how many times I've died to fricking Godfrey/Hoarah Loux. Is no one else struggling against him? Just me?

Defeating EB feels more of RNG: Sometimes the fucker keeps spamming holy blade, and rarely it stays in melee and swings like a whale stuck on a beach.

I found Radagon a much harder boss than EB, but Godfrey was a real piece of work that made me pull out the BHS too. Elden Beast was more just annoying for being gated behind a genuinely hard duel boss first

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Ratios and Tendency posted:

What build are you?

Just respecced to something like 70 str with a Max level heavy zweihander

I was running with the night comet build the entire game, but 1.6 ruined it, and radagon and eb have such high resistances to everything but physical I wasn't doing to hot.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 18, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Godfrey is a lot easier if you have your two girls (Nepheli and Tiche) to help you go to pound town. His arena-wide shockwave stomps are really nasty if you don't get his health down fast enough, though. The jump window is annoyingly tight, and they're one of the relatively few attacks in the game where you're absolutely, 100% forced to evade rather than being able to block or run away.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

It's absolutely the stomps that make Hoarah tough. Very few other bosses do anything like that, and it basically forces most players to learn a totally new defensive reaction (timed jumps) which initially conflicts with their instinct to block or roll. When my husband was first trying that fight, the progression from "what the gently caress how am I ever going to beat this guy" to decisively winning mapped more or less perfectly to how comfortable he felt jumping the shockwaves

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Horah Loux also isn't especially tough hp-wise in phase 2. His offense is nasty, but if you can hit him a few times, he'll go down quick. Kinda not dissimilar from Maliketh in that regard.

The boss that fucks me up (other than the obvious one - Malenia) is Mohg. I hate his big delayed attacks and unpredictable attacks and tendency to piss all over the floor. Of course, I've only fought him the real way one time because my other plays were casters and I just lasered him down :v:. He was a son of a bitch on my bleed play though. I beat him by getting Rot Breath on him and then powering through his offense but I found dodging him difficult

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 18, 2022

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Nihil
*flask*
NiHil
*flask*
NIHIL
*flask*

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
mohg is really fun once you master the timings on each attack. he massively punishes you for ANY screwup, though

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Just have the last post-CFA capital zone to get through before I complete my first playthrough so I decided to finish collecting the rest of the sorceries/incantations I missed. I thought I was pretty thorough but I was missing at least a dozen sorceries, two of which came from Death Rite birds I wasn't even aware existed. I hate fighting them so much, the only way I've found to reliably crush them is abusing holy/sacred pots. Speaking of which, I have 19/20 cracked pots. There's no way for me to tell where that last one I'm missing is, is there? I certainly don't plan on hitting each cracked pot location again just to get the last one, so 19/20 it is.

Also didn't recognize there are two clayman sorceries in the Siofra area! This game is so drat big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's absolutely the stomps that make Hoarah tough. Very few other bosses do anything like that, and it basically forces most players to learn a totally new defensive reaction (timed jumps) which initially conflicts with their instinct to block or roll. When my husband was first trying that fight, the progression from "what the gently caress how am I ever going to beat this guy" to decisively winning mapped more or less perfectly to how comfortable he felt jumping the shockwaves

Theres definitely other bosses earlier where you are trained to jump the shockwave/ground attacks. Works for Godric, crucible knights, the cave trolls, maybe others. You can get by without doing it but…better not