Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Nina Turncoat aims to have 9.9999/10 Americans live paycheck to paycheck so she is upset by the unacceptably low number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Lol, even under the "perfect" budget you're supposed to spend about half your income on bills. Which means even the platonic ideal should be living paycheck to two paychecks. They're surprisedthat 80% of people fall short of perfection? gently caress off.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
neolibs? oh, they're definitely getting the gulag.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

HootTheOwl posted:

Lol, even under the "perfect" budget you're supposed to spend about half your income on bills. Which means even the platonic ideal should be living paycheck to two paychecks. They're surprisedthat 80% of people fall short of perfection? gently caress off.

no they're surprised that someone might consider those life forms people

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

HootTheOwl posted:

Uhhh no, you're then supposed to also save a bunch which builds up a buffer so you end up being able to miss more and more paychecks as your buffer increases.

The problem with that is that more savings means less consumption and we live in a consumption and growth based economic model so enough people doing this would cause a crisis destroying the whole system. The solution so far has been massive amounts of personal debt.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Some absolutely incredible entries

https://twitter.com/Abookishdiaries/status/1560078943843020800?t=wnFNcQkXJ3hIhRzmZ95D1A&s=19

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I love the idea of declaring Dr. Seuss racist against Asians, but citing Oh The Places You'll Go and not like... the "Slap a Jap" war pamphlets lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm misogynoir William Shakespeare

projecthalaxy posted:

I love the idea of declaring Dr. Seuss racist against Asians, but citing Oh The Places You'll Go and not like... the "Slap a Jap" war pamphlets lol

she's almost certainly including things an author did outside of the content of the book, so Dr Seuss does count as racist because of the wartime propaganda he created

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

projecthalaxy posted:

I don't think it's citing OTYPG as the source of the racism, that column is labelled "notable works" - much like Ender's Game is not where Orson Scott Card compared Hitler to Obama and said "roving gangs of Negro youth" or whatever the gently caress was gonna result from the 2012 election

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
fortunately that lady doesn't have to worry about that as she's a pioneer and the very first person to ever stumble upon the fact that art creators can be bad people

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Ender's Game is not where Orson Scott Card compared Hitler to Obama

you obviously didn't get the revised edition with the new foreword

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Neil Gaiman as transphobic

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If you're doing notable works why wouldn't you put the actual Shakespeare plays in then lol

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't think it's citing OTYPG as the source of the racism, that column is labelled "notable works" - much like Ender's Game is not where Orson Scott Card compared Hitler to Obama and said "roving gangs of Negro youth" or whatever the gently caress was gonna result from the 2012 election

Oh whoops lol. I didnt click through and see the headings so I just sorta skimmed then saw the Seuss one and thought that was the "evidence". I apologize for the mistake and now am forced to fully back and vouch for all of their takes.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

gradenko_2000 posted:

you obviously didn't get the revised edition with the new foreword
lmao I would completely believe that this was true

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

john green - wrote about a kiss in anne franks house :confused:

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Michael Crichton, known for The Terminal Man and other works,

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

orson scott card is going to publish an appendix to enders game that is all of the demosthenes and locke posts, they will all be about the trans menace and how obama is the new hitler

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Lol one of the cancelled authors has provided a rebuttal.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm reading No Good Men Men Among the Living and I am astounded by how many times American soldiers machine gunned pro American Afghani officials and civilians. Mayor's waving flags and poo poo were hand cuffed and executed in schools by American soldiers who then got a star for it. What the gently caress

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

michael crichtons book red sun really is one of the most racist things ive ever read though lol, it's astonishing what was acceptable to say about japanese people 30 or 40 years ago

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

lobster shirt posted:

michael crichtons book red sun really is one of the most racist things ive ever read though lol, it's astonishing what was acceptable to say about japanese people 30 or 40 years ago

He was on a roll in the early 90s with that and Disclosure, the story about what if a man got sexually harassed huh, did that just blow your mind? I don't remember Airframe enough to say if it was amusingly bad or just boring.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

In my prewoke period in middle school i was a big crichtonist. Congo, Airframe, Sphere, Timeline, i read em all

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

He was on a roll in the early 90s with that and Disclosure, the story about what if a man got sexually harassed huh, did that just blow your mind? I don't remember Airframe enough to say if it was amusingly bad or just boring.

Airframe I don't recall was particularly "problematic", just that it was a retelling of a real event

I think Crichton was also the guy who, when one of his books was reviewed badly by a critic, then wrote his next book with a stand-in for that critic as having a small penis and also was a pedophile

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the best michael crichton book is timeline :colbert:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

gradenko_2000 posted:

Airframe I don't recall was particularly "problematic", just that it was a retelling of a real event

I think Crichton was also the guy who, when one of his books was reviewed badly by a critic, then wrote his next book with a stand-in for that critic as having a small penis and also was a pedophile
can't sue for defamation cause you'd have to prove you have a small penis and are a pedophile :colbert:

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Haha yes and "thankfully" the baby he raped wasn't badly injured because his dick was so small :wtc:

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

lobster shirt posted:

the best michael crichton book is timeline :colbert:

Timeline and Prey were when he really started to phone it in, just grabbing whatever papers fell under his desk and shuffling them into a novel

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

im laughing at the entry for harper lee, which reads in part "uses the white savior complex in most of her works". she only has two! and the second one is basically just a first draft.

also laughing at cancelling ayn rand for racism

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Crichton could be godawful but all his imitators and followers are even worse. Can't read a goddamn thriller nowadays without the capital-H Heroes being Spec Ops Delta Tier One Operators who are sad because they killed some folks, but maybe they can learn to live again with the help of a fiery Italian/Latina woman. Tried to read a goddamn bigfoot novel and the prologue was that Bigfoot tried to save Anastasia Romanov from the communists, and then in the modern day those goddamn evil Russians were at it again and only a black budget CIA squad can save the world. Everything has to be jammed into this stupid framework.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

honestly the most surprising thing about that list is that jim butcher isn't on it. he's very problematic!!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Crichton could be godawful but all his imitators and followers are even worse. Can't read a goddamn thriller nowadays without the capital-H Heroes being Spec Ops Delta Tier One Operators who are sad because they killed some folks, but maybe they can learn to live again with the help of a fiery Italian/Latina woman. Tried to read a goddamn bigfoot novel and the prologue was that Bigfoot tried to save Anastasia Romanov from the communists, and then in the modern day those goddamn evil Russians were at it again and only a black budget CIA squad can save the world. Everything has to be jammed into this stupid framework.

airport novels have really gone down in quality since the heyday of the 80s and 90s

lobster shirt posted:

honestly the most surprising thing about that list is that jim butcher isn't on it. he's very problematic!!!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

drat Delia sounds hard

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

oh dang i missed it.... sorry everyone

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
James Joyce just skating past this list with a stack of saucy letters

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i do not remember a graphic depiction of sexual assault in the dresden files though, what's the deal with that. it has been a while since i read them though.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

i do not remember a graphic depiction of sexual assault in the dresden files though, what's the deal with that. it has been a while since i read them though.

There's a couple of scenes I can think of (Maeve forcing herself on a paralyzed Harry) but I'd hardly call it graphic. Depiction though, yeah.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

drat that’s some good hot takes. lol at calling Harper Lee inherently racist bc she writes the N word

what about Nabokov?? guy is clearly a pedophile

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I wonder what the author of the Codex Problematicus wants us to read instead, and why its their YA kindle single

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

no thank you, twenty year old lowbies don’t rate to me