Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

PBCrunch posted:

Is Dodge going to end up releasing this as an SUV "coupe"? The weird proportions and the hatchback rear honestly make more sense if the wheels and tires were much larger and the ground clearance was increased.

Please don't give them any ideas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

fridge corn posted:

Pumping fake exhaust noise into the cabin is a hell of a lot better than pumping real exhaust noise into the cabin

Is it though? VW used a sound transducer thingy solution for many years that worked fine, funneling sound from the engine bay to the cabin. I dislike all of it but yeah.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
looks like something you see at a car show and i dont mean that in a good way

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I don't think we need to be encouraging people to have fake rev sounds that are really loving annoying. It's bad enough that the neighbor across the street wakes me up every day when he starts his BMW with a lovely exhaust and it rumbles my windows. At least he actually has to jump through some hoops to install that poo poo. A factory option that can probably be hacked to increase the volume by anyone with a USB cable, GTFO. We need some regulations on the books now to deal with this level of noise polution.

Other thoughts, good job Dodge marketing making your product with a name as unique as "Electric Charger". In no way is that going to cause SEO problems.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The "idle" sounds like the hum of Robocop. Which is totally unnecessary but is kind of a cool sound.

KakerMix posted:

Can't wait for the hot EV mods where dorks increase the volume on their fake Challenger ~exhaust~ to annoy the poo poo out of everyone

I've got a teen neighbor with a lovely old Elantra with huge loving fart cans on it and he got his tires slashed a couple months back--probably by a new mom trying to get their kids to sleep at any time.

Frankly, I'm so loving sick of people just letting their loud trucks and cars idle all loving day long at the curb. We have a handful of burbling MOPARs (for some loving reason?) in our neighborhood and the sound of the two-honk and BLARGGGHHHHHHHHH every morning with their remote starts just makes me want to start chucking bricks.

And I like decent sounding exhaust notes on cars that deserve it

But man, no one seems to give a poo poo about anyone else.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I don't think we need to be encouraging people to have fake rev sounds that are really loving annoying. It's bad enough that the neighbor across the street wakes me up every day when he starts his BMW with a lovely exhaust and it rumbles my windows. At least he actually has to jump through some hoops to install that poo poo. A factory option that can probably be hacked to increase the volume by anyone with a USB cable, GTFO. We need some regulations on the books now to deal with this level of noise polution.

Other thoughts, good job Dodge marketing making your product with a name as unique as "Electric Charger". In no way is that going to cause SEO problems.

One hopeful scenario is no bro noise in 0-30kmh areas in the satnav cartography and bro noise in 50+ areas. So it doesn't get torched down by neighbors after the tenth time the owner does fake revs in the middle off the night.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
My neighbor got back at me for loud v8 exhaust noises by buying a '22 Corvette.

That thing is MEAN.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
How does that thing even make the fake rev noises? Obviously (probably?) it wasn't flooring the 'gas' pedal. I hope it's a lovely button or knob that gets stuck

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Inner Light posted:

Is it though? VW used a sound transducer thingy solution for many years that worked fine, funneling sound from the engine bay to the cabin. I dislike all of it but yeah.

Not if it's literally a pipe from the exhaust straight into the cabin and the only thing preventing the exhaust gases from entering the cabin is a flimsy little diaphragm :v:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

How does that thing even make the fake rev noises? Obviously (probably?) it wasn't flooring the 'gas' pedal. I hope it's a lovely button or knob that gets stuck

Probably by depressing the clutch pedal/reving right?

:v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

3 pedals

throttle
brake
engine noise

a literal loud pedal

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

Probably by depressing the clutch pedal/reving right?

:v:

This is the future so it's probably a little slider in the infotainment screen that you waggle back and forth. Naturally, the slider is really small and works regardless of vehicle speed.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Why are EVs so goddamn weird?

Why can't we just have an EV that looks like a normal car, has like 400 miles of range, has a standard instrument cluster, maybe like the civic, with switches and knobs for stuff like climate control and a screen for your radio, nav, carplay etc.

Why does it need to be some weird dumpy looking hatchback with cat ears, space ship noises or fart noises? Why must everything be consolidated beneath a stupid touch screen where you can play video games on it?

Seriously, why cant a car just be a car? Why does it have to pretend its an iPad on wheels?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Isn't it a literal pipe, not a speaker? The guy quoted said it was like a wind organ.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Kraftwerk posted:

Why must everything be consolidated beneath a stupid touch screen where you can play video games on it?

Cost-cutting to make up for all the batteries which is also why they don't go 400 miles for now. I'm sure once Bentley makes an EV it will cost a million dollars and have buttons, then buttons will be seen as a status symbol so they'll start working their way back down to luxury brands.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

One hopeful scenario is no bro noise in 0-30kmh areas in the satnav cartography and bro noise in 50+ areas. So it doesn't get torched down by neighbors after the tenth time the owner does fake revs in the middle off the night.

But EVs already required to make noise at low speeds out of safety lol.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Kraftwerk posted:

Why can't we just have an EV that looks like a normal car, has like 400 miles of range, has a standard instrument cluster, maybe like the civic, with switches and knobs for stuff like climate control and a screen for your radio, nav, carplay etc.

Why does it need to be some weird dumpy looking hatchback with cat ears, space ship noises or fart noises? Why must everything be consolidated beneath a stupid touch screen where you can play video games on it?

Seriously, why cant a car just be a car? Why does it have to pretend its an iPad on wheels?

I’m assuming it’s because they’re trying to sell it to people who previously bought chargers/challengers.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kraftwerk posted:

I don't think any of the super boring EVs have been huge sales hits. The Kia Niro is the most normcore EV I can think of, and it only gets bought by even weirder people than Tesla buyers. It doesn't have any advanced tech and has less touchscreen and more physical controls than a modern Civic. Buyers want the fart noises and bizarre looks.

https://blog.codinghorror.com/electric-geek-transportation-systems/

https://jalopnik.com/the-kia-niro-ev-is-more-fun-than-it-has-any-right-to-be-1848751119

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sab669 posted:

I just looked this up and EVs in the UK apparently have to make noise of at least 56 decibels (which is as loud as your fridge) and only below 12mph which is why I've never actually heard one make any noise.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's apparently only required up to 18.6 mph in the States. I thought it was 20-25 or so. But yea either way just seemed funny to me that we're like, "They're too quiet! They must make some noise! ...No that's too much noise"

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sab669 posted:

If you hear the twitter vid, the car is doing jetson noises while moving with random hemi noises. I'm starting to think that there is either a hemi noise button on the wheel or it depends on pedal depression.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe there's a sound board.

Jetson noises
Hemi rev
Tim Allen grunt
rod knock
blowoff valve
money shift

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

Maybe there's a sound board.

Jetson noises
Hemi rev
Tim Allen grunt
rod knock
blowoff valve
money shift

Detroit Diesel jake brake

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

If you hear the twitter vid, the car is doing jetson noises while moving with random hemi noises. I'm starting to think that there is either a hemi noise button on the wheel or it depends on pedal depression.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/heres-how-the-electric-dodge-charger-concepts-exhaust-is-as-loud-as-a-hellcat

Dodge posted:

Elshoff told me that the system doesn't sample the noise from the Charger EV's motors, but generates a synthetic one based on the "cadence from a Hemi V8." He adds that it "screams at higher revs," which might explain where Dodge got the Banshee name for its 800-volt electric drivetrain. A transducer then manipulates that sound based on throttle position, vehicle speed, load, and so on, feeding the signal to an amplifier that spits it out through a fairly conventional exhaust. Elshoff likens the setup to "a resonator or those direct/reflecting home speakers from the 1980s."

Yea basically it just kinda says, "Okay half throttle at this speed probably sounds something like this" and tries to make that noise.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SlowBloke posted:

If there's technological controls, they can be hacked worked around and lack of regulation means that there's no enforcement around that hack.

Noise ordinances and/or inspection routines would really only apply right now to exhaust. For example, my local town ordnance says that no one should operate a motor vehicle without properly equipped mufflers such that it emits noise that would be a disturbance to residents.

That's vague as gently caress to begin with which leaves a lot of wiggle room based on who's responding to any complaint, but the fact that it focuses around exhaust and mufflers means it doesn't apply at all for something like this.

So, there's nothing preventing someone from modding in a larger exterior speaker and a inline amp to make the thing 2x or 3x as loud or disabling any controls that may be in place to prevent it from being a nuisance.

Loud exhaust was always a grey area because there's some functional performance aspect of it and the alteration of an already existing and necessary output is different than creating something just for the sake of it. We have regulations around vehicle lighting and people aren't allowed to just install flashing leds all over their car, there should be definitive regulations around the type and level of unnecessary noise they can emit.

Sab669 posted:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/heres-how-the-electric-dodge-charger-concepts-exhaust-is-as-loud-as-a-hellcat

Yea basically it just kinda says, "Okay half throttle at this speed probably sounds something like this" and tries to make that noise.

That tracks for the constant noise, but not those revs that were there. If you jab the pedal on an electric vehicle to make a rev sound, you are going to end up putting yourself through the wall from sudden acceleration. If it is pedal controlled, there has to be something that's disengaging it from causing acceleration.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 18, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

bull3964 posted:

If there's technological controls, they can be hacked worked around and lack of regulation means that there's no enforcement around that hack.

Noise ordinances and/or inspection routines would really only apply right now to exhaust. For example, my local town ordnance says that no one should operate a motor vehicle without properly equipped mufflers such that it emits noise that would be a disturbance to residents.

That's vague as gently caress to begin with which leaves a lot of wiggle room based on who's responding to any complaint, but the fact that it focuses around exhaust and mufflers means it doesn't apply at all for something like this.

So, there's nothing preventing someone from modding in a larger exterior speaker and a inline amp to make the thing 2x or 3x as loud or disabling any controls that may be in place to prevent it from being a nuisance.

Loud exhaust was always a grey area because there's some functional performance aspect of it and the alteration of an already existing and necessary output is different than creating something just for the sake of it. We have regulations around vehicle lighting and people aren't allowed to just install flashing leds all over their car, there should be definitive regulations around the type and level of unnecessary noise they can emit.

That tracks for the constant noise, but not those revs that were there. If you jab the pedal on an electric vehicle to make a rev sound, you are going to end up putting yourself through the wall from sudden acceleration. If it is pedal controlled, there has to be something that's disengaging it from causing acceleration.

It's vague only in the states, in the EU car noise levels are written in stone https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32014R0540

Which is also why car journalists trying to act cool, revving current cars while stopped, will end up in soft limiters with reduced noises(much to the chagrin of matt watson/carwow, he always points it out)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My guess is most people will turn off the fake noises when the novelty wears off after a few days.

The only people leaving it on will be boomers clutching on to their '69 440 Charger memories

Which by the way is the best sounding V8 in a muscle car ever imo

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

bull3964 posted:

It was probably just a pre recorded demo for the vehicle roll out and not actually representative of how the actual vehicle will function.
There isn't a button, switch, slider, pedal that is doing this at all.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Kraftwerk posted:

What's a "normal" looking car? I mean I'm sorry if you think design peaked at the E46 or whatever but it's almost 25 years on now, let it go. I wish people still liked regular old sedans and wagons, but they were dead and buried by the public long before EV's became a thing. If you want just a regular old EV hatchback, well they exist, just not in America because you don't buy them. But even in the modern design trends, there's plenty of just regular shaped EV's that look no different to their ICE cousins. You seem to be raging at the dickhead gimmick poo poo that is the sole domain of Tesla, and whacky attention grabbing concept cars. Plenty of cars without that poo poo, just not without touchscreens, but you know the answer to why those are a thing - ease and cost of manufacture and customer "ohhh shiny!" demand.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

fridge corn posted:

You got me excited for a second there

https://twitter.com/sniffpetrol/status/1560187808559538177?s=20&t=U8i7k-cNGjcInRUAfo-Dhw

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Where’s my brown wagon EV with 400 mile range, physical HVAC controls, manual transmission and 120 mph trap speed. I’ll buy one 3 years old for $19k.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Infinotize posted:

Where’s my brown wagon EV with 400 mile range, physical HVAC controls, manual transmission and 120 mph trap speed. I’ll buy one 3 years old for $19k.

In my head this is how the Taycan wagon is supposed to work.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I just want a 3,750 lb BMW X5 AWD with adjustable dampers, a hitch, 19" wheels, and no stupid moonroof oh and some better color choices.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 19, 2022

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The Mini Cooper EV looks almost identical to a regular Mini. The Audi e-tron GT doesn’t stick out. The VW ID.4 is ugly, but not because it’s an EV. As they become more common, designs will become less polarizing. Looking weird and futuristic is part of attracting people willing to deal with the issues of being an early adopter.

Given all of the current and coming soon EVs, if I had to choose one it would probably be an ID. Buzz. Talk about practical storage space!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't think any of the super boring EVs have been huge sales hits. The Kia Niro is the most normcore EV I can think of, and it only gets bought by even weirder people than Tesla buyers. It doesn't have any advanced tech and has less touchscreen and more physical controls than a modern Civic. Buyers want the fart noises and bizarre looks.

The Niro EV is based on an ICE platform so it already has some compromises and it was only available in ZEV states until recently. But it’s a perfectly fine car and regular rear end people buy them, Kia just didn’t make many because it was a compliance car meant to bridge the gap until they could start manufacturing cars on their dedicated platform.

The reason there are so many Teslas out there relative to other EVs is that Tesla is the only company that was attempting to make EVs in any real volume other than Nissan with the Leaf. That’s only very recently changed but it’s still going to take a few years for production lines to fully ramp up.

As mentioned, the ID.4 is pretty normal looking, is selling well, and the stupidity with capacitive buttons isn’t because it’s an EV, it’s because Volkswagen is stupid.

There are probably plenty of people out there who want an EV that’s “just a car” but “just a car” now means touch screens and funky shapes. That’s not an EV thing it’s a modern car design thing.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

kill me now posted:

It was probably just a pre recorded demo for the vehicle roll out and not actually representative of how the actual vehicle will function.
There isn't a button, switch, slider, pedal that is doing this at all.

If you're going to make an EV that sounds like that there absolutely needs to be a way to "rev the engine" as silly as the whole concept is it'd be sillier not to able to rev it imo

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bird with big dick posted:

If you're going to make an EV that sounds like that there absolutely needs to be a way to "rev the engine" as silly as the whole concept is it'd be sillier not to able to rev it imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NgSZ8sjDgU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

EVs still have neutral, you can still have them “rev” using the gas pedal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Kraftwerk posted:

isn't this just an i4? it's a 4-series but electric. i guess the interior screens are bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea the i4 is about as close to "normal car" as EVs have gotten so far outside. But I don't think "the screens are bigger" is quite descriptive enough though, it's quite different:

i4 on the left doesn't even try to resemble ye olde gauge cluster. And now that I'm looking this closely, weird that the hazards button is in different spots / looks like they deleted the HVAC buttons too :saddowns: